PDA

View Full Version : [MH] In a quandry about Possessed.

Ursca
23-11-2006, 21:22
I'm thinking of starting a Possessed warband, but I'm a bit stumped on where to go with it.
I love the flavour of the warband, but trying to balance my starting choices between quality and quantity is a nightmare.

Here's my predicament; Obviously I need as many heroes as possible. Being quite expensive I've opted for four.
The magister, one possessed and two mutants.
Now, I'd quite like a decent sized warband of around 9. I'm not bothered about inferior equipment (don't laugh) as I can always buy better stuff, but the mutations (one of the best things about the warband) can't be upgraded later. They're also really expensive.

So either I can have the heroes and a decent sized warband, but I miss out on the good mutations, or visa versa.

Here's a list I've got at the moment. Maybe I can switch the beastmen for darksouls and add a bit more to the mutants?

Magister 70
mace 3

Possessed 90
scorpion tail 40

Mutant 25
blackblood 30
mace 3

Mutant 25
daemon soul 20
mace 3

2 Beastmen 90
flails 15

3 Brethren 75
maces 9

Tactics wise, the beastmen and the possessed are shock troops to take the best the enemy can throw at me.
The Brethren can keep the magister safe, while the mutants can go where needed.
The Daemonsoul mutant should be quite useful for tying up any prayer users that might endanger my possessed et al.

This is all open to change apart from the magister. I absolutely love the model I've already got for him (A couple of years ago. :p )

Stormbringer
24-11-2006, 02:53
It depends on what types of warbands you are going to fight against.

You still need to keep your numbers up to avoid routing early and for backup in close combat. So take the darksouls over beastmen, they are cheaper and fearless. Focus on your numbers more with the warband because the mutations won't mean squat if your outnumbered. You can save up later after you have suitable numbers for later possessed/mutant recruits. Your prolly gonna lose a few heroes sometime durring a campaign so don't get attached to the ones you have. I know that sounds grim but it happens (Especially to a close combat warband).

Ursca
24-11-2006, 10:39
It depends on what types of warbands you are going to fight against.
At the moment the most likely candidates are mercenaries (slightly shooty, but not overboard), witch-hunters and maybe a few more.

Your prolly gonna lose a few heroes sometime durring a campaign so don't get attached to the ones you have.
Good point.

What's a decent starting size then? I thought 9 was about average, so I aimed for that.
I miscalculated on the price of the flails and I cut the beastmen to Dark souls, so the warband now looks like this;

Magister 70
mace 3

Possessed 90
scorpion tail 40

Mutant 25
blackblood 30
mace 3

Mutant 25
daemon soul 20
mace 3

2 Dark souls 70
flails 30

3 Brethren 75
maces 9

What can I do with those 7 extra points? I'd probably change the flails, but I feel I've got too many maces and there's not much in the list to choose from (swords don't really fit and axes are rubbish).

ashc
26-11-2006, 16:18
Hey Ursca :)

I have never been a fan of mutants; expensive and really just as easy to kill as most standard humans.

I always started my Possessed warbands with a magister and 2 possessed (no mutations) then took a bulk of brethren and beastmen.

The possessed could tag-team pretty much anything to death and pretty much ensured their own survival for the purposes of exploration afterwards.

never forget the possibility of the lads got talent either; its such a nice thing to get on a beastman!

Ash