PDA

View Full Version : Mordheim Warband: Reiklanders

Stormbringer
24-11-2006, 06:13
I decided to switch over to human mercanaries, Reiklanders next campaign partialy because one of the veteran players in my league constantly states that human warbands suck. I definately want to prove him wrong, but more over i want a shooty warband and Reiklanders are a good one at that. I played beastmen last camp and i got sick of close combat only real fast. That and i wanted a change.

Here's how i want to do my warband. 12 In number.

Leader- Bow, 2 Maces

2 Champs- 2 Hammers

2 Youngbloods- Bows

7 Marksmen- Bows, Knife, and Mace

This is basicly my take on a shooty warband. The majority has bows and the champs serve as close combat guards to the leader. The cheap weapons make for better numbers (I can always upgrade later). 5 Heroes should bring more income faster. I intend to stay out of colse combat as much as i can and shoot my opponent down. I figure 9 shots a turn is good firepower. For additional info on my league, i am up against fighting Orcs and Goblins, Lizardmen, Witch Hunters, Dark Elves, and Skaven.

Any info or advice you can give would really help, thanks.

Quin 242
24-11-2006, 07:15
Swap the weapons on your champs and your youngbloods. A WS of 2 only means you need 4's to hit in close combat but a BS of 2 means that you won't have a chance in hell to hit anything with moving, cover, and range thrown in... Use your youngbloods as forward scouts to winkle out any hiding folks for the rest of your boys to pincushion.. Lanterns are a plus for youngbloods.

Change a couple of your bowmen to crossbows and you are in for the money :) S4 in Mordeheim is for the Win!

Also as soon as you have the $$ get long bows.. that extra range helps LOTS.
You might not have targets out that far but the 1/2 range penalty is ALSO pushed back and that's were the benefit is.

Get your heros regular bows as well (at least). There will be times they won't have a HtH target but might have a shot with a bow.. One benefit here is that they can get hunter arrows where your henchmen can't

Stormbringer
24-11-2006, 07:40
Swap the weapons on your champs and your youngbloods. A WS of 2 only means you need 4's to hit in close combat but a BS of 2 means that you won't have a chance in hell to hit anything with moving, cover, and range thrown in... Use your youngbloods as forward scouts to winkle out any hiding folks for the rest of your boys to pincushion.. Lanterns are a plus for youngbloods.

Young bloods as scouts, wouldn't they get picked off easily? I wouldn't want to loose income earners early off in the game.

About the crossbows i was definately thinking about it just wasn't sure if i have the crowns. After the 12 men i put down i only had 16 crowns left.

Darktheos
26-11-2006, 07:58
IMO go with 1 sword, 1 hammer or mace if you go 2 weapons because if you do get in combat that is a better chance not to get hit.

Quin 242
26-11-2006, 08:25
Young bloods as scouts, wouldn't they get picked off easily? I wouldn't want to loose income earners early off in the game.

About the crossbows i was definately thinking about it just wasn't sure if i have the crowns. After the 12 men i put down i only had 16 crowns left.

Even if you lose them.. they are cheap to replace. And they only DIE 1 in 6 or so... they also might surprise you and win a melee or two.
Against Skaven you NEED forward observers or you will just get "walk and hide"ed up on all day.. they can travel 5 inches a turn and still hide which makes your bows/crossbows useless.

You get your Youngbloods out there with a lantern and they can reveal stuff out to 7 inches.. MUCH better than the normal 3 :( If you have skaven w/in 3 inches of you, you are screwed. SO you set up your youngbloods out front w/ lanterns & in hiding and that gives you a field of fire.

If you keep them close together they can help each other out. If you REALLY want to help them, send a swordsman w/ 2 swords to run herd on them.
I have just this little unit and they've played spotter many a time and both now also have sprint. Which seems odd but it gets them 12" of movement and then a further 7" of spotting.. this leaves most baddies at the mercy of my 5 man unit of crossbowmen who now have a BS of 5.

And I said it before but just reiterating.. the only guys that shouldn't get bows ARE the youngbloods... Wasted $$ and they won't ever hit anything anyways. give them a pair of daggers or dagger and hammer/mace. that way if you lose them they cost next to nothing but they still can do the job of spotter :)