PDA

View Full Version : New Guard Army - what do you think

Frodo34x
06-07-2005, 20:44
http://www.black-tree-design.com/btdcat.php?ctry=us&lng=gb&rangenum=7&typenum=52&qty=0&sub=&shp=&tot=

I was thinking of using these models to make an Imperial Guard army.

Firstly, do you think people would allow me to use these (I don't intend on playing in GWs, just with freinds and at my gaming club)

Secondly, would you allow me to use these models for an Imperial gaurd army?

Thirdly, would anyone take any offense to the German WWII theme?

And finally (most important of all), what doctrines would you reccomend for it?

Endanar
06-07-2005, 20:50
I could be nice and it can be used but in tournaments is elegal.
go german style ofcourse

iron discipline
die-hards
storm-troopers
and some others that you like but these are the main doctrines.

sigur
06-07-2005, 21:32
Wow, a wehrmacht-style IG army?!

I'm going crazy, that must be the most innovative and new thing I heard of since the roman-style UM army or the Slaanesh army with those slight BDSM undertones. ;)

Just kidding, go ahead, make your guard army.

Frodo34x
06-07-2005, 21:37
Of course, I'm not really a "Tournament" person.

I was thinking of theming it around either Berlin or Stalingrad:
Light Infantry (to represent city-fighting)
Either Ratlings or Special weapon squads (snipers)
Sharpshooters
Veterans
Iron Discipline

mostholycerebus
06-07-2005, 21:59
Looks sweet! By far you will find more opponents awed by your conversions, originality, and painting than opponents who will only play against GW figs. The later usually aren't people you wanna play against anyway. Kudos for starting an interesting new army.

Yeah, Light Infantry for urban warfare, maybe Cameoline to represent their better use of cover, of course Iron Discipline, and whatever else you want. Maybe Stormtroopers or Grenadiers for elite units. Germany also made plenty of tanks, and order of the day for WWII was sending a tank out with each unit. So Mechanized is not just an option, but very likely. Or just throw a few Armored Fist sqads in a normal list. They were also known for snipers, so ratlings or Special Weapons Sqads (snipers) are a good choice. I'd do either

Light Infantry
Cameoline
Iron Discipline
Stormtroopers
Special Weapons Sqauds

or

Mechanized
Cameoline
Iron Discipline
Stormtroopers
Special Weapons Squads

I love COD, but I don't think it fits this army.

EDIT: Or, hell, why not just play Flames of War? It's taking off everywhere, cheaper than GW, and a much more solid rules system.

Frodo34x
07-07-2005, 07:20
Looks sweet! By far you will find more opponents awed by your conversions, originality, and painting than opponents who will only play against GW figs. The later usually aren't people you wanna play against anyway. Kudos for starting an interesting new army.

Yeah, Light Infantry for urban warfare, maybe Cameoline to represent their better use of cover, of course Iron Discipline, and whatever else you want. Maybe Stormtroopers or Grenadiers for elite units. Germany also made plenty of tanks, and order of the day for WWII was sending a tank out with each unit. So Mechanized is not just an option, but very likely. Or just throw a few Armored Fist sqads in a normal list. They were also known for snipers, so ratlings or Special Weapons Sqads (snipers) are a good choice. I'd do either

Light Infantry
Cameoline
Iron Discipline
Stormtroopers
Special Weapons Sqauds

or

Mechanized
Cameoline
Iron Discipline
Stormtroopers
Special Weapons Squads

I love COD, but I don't think it fits this army.
I'm not too sure about Stormtroopers; although the name fits, somehow using heavily armoured guys in a WWII army doesn't seem right. I'm thinking about possibly using the name 'Stormtroopers' (or a German term to the same effect) for my veterans squads. So I think I will go for your first suggestion, but with veterans instead of Stormtroopers.

EDIT: Or, hell, why not just play Flames of War? It's taking off everywhere, cheaper than GW, and a much more solid rules system.
While I'm not planing on playing in GW stores/ tournaments, my gaming club has a lot of 40k players, so by using them in 40k I know I'll always be able to get a game.

worldshatterer
07-07-2005, 08:24
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/WW2/2/index.asp

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/WW2/4/index.asp

have you considered these ones?

Frodo34x
07-07-2005, 08:47
I can't say I have, but they are pretty cool looking as well.

Angelus Mortis
07-07-2005, 10:07
If you are only playing locally, thats up to you and your friends. But I would call and ask about them first. When I look at the photos they dont appear to be the same scale as GW models. Hard to tell from the photos and the webpage doesn't say. Also, the sci-fi models look pretty familiar, especially the Spac...err...Starship Marines and the Squa...err...Space Dwarves. Very creative and orignal especially the weapons (thats sarcasm btw).

Wraithlord
07-07-2005, 10:50
Nice Idea, if you paint them well, why not. I Like the wargamesfoundry Models, the MG42 looks nice and the officers are not bad either. And the Black-Tree 8.8 Flak is a good Model, too.

What about the scale? Do they fit in 40k?