PDA

View Full Version : Nevermore - The Raven Guard's 3rd Company

BodhiTree
25-11-2006, 05:54
Alright, now that I've gotten the clichéd title out of the way, it's time to throw down some words and pictures.

First off, this is a more relaxed project than what I originally intended, but I do want to get some converting and decent paintjobs done here as well. I'm going to play up the emo-joke about the Raven Guard. For those who are not familiar with emo, here is a Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28slang%29). Please note I'm not out to offend anyone here who classifies themselves as emo, I just like sticking to themes. In that regard, I've found the best way to represent said theme is in the Scouts I'll use, and because I'm playing this particular Chapter, there will be plenty of them. So, about 2 weeks ago I busted out the Green Stuff for the first time, and I took a shot at making some emo-hairstyles for a couple of the boys. I will also be painting them to be rather pale, and have black hair, as a representation of their gene-seed taking hold. Furthermore to play up the joke, I'm going to aim for the black eye make-up if possible. *wink wink*
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/Scout1.jpg
So here's test subject #1, I think the actual mini looks better in person, but I'll admit faults where there are faults. I was aiming for a quick and disheveled covering-one-eye style. For the most part, I think it turned out okay.

Immediately after him, I tried out this guy:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/Scout2.jpg
I think Goggles over here turned out okay. Actually, on days when I can't seem to spike my own hair, I end up doing something like this. Well, y'know, without the goggles - that'd be weird.

I'm going to be trying out other emo haircuts on the guys. One big reason why I leaped at this opportunity is because while the new Scout sprues are fantastic, the heads leave much to be desired. Converting hairstyles is going to be one of the more fun parts of this project. I've been scouring the 'net for more styles, and I think it'll help to look at bands like Fall Out Boy, Dashboard Confessional, and My Chemical Romance etc. Hopefully I can pull off spiky hair, and other more complex styles, any suggestions or requests will be seriously considered.

Of course, no Raven Guard army is complete without Assault Squads, and I've bought many boxes of these guys. One thing I've demanded for myself is that every Marine needs to be wearing an MK6 'Beakie' helmet. I've collected 25 thus far, and have been trying to convert my own as seen in the home-made Beakies thread in MP&T General. For those who haven't seen what I've posted there, here it is:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/testbeaky.jpg
He is the product of much fumbling and swearing loudly. He's still not done, but since I started that old thread I've cleaned up that cheek. I still have to put on the lighting alcove (but I'll do it on the opposite side!) and do the side grills. Don't worry about the mold-lines, I will make them go away, as I hate them. He used to be a MK7 helmet, but I filed the top-side vent down and smoothed the scalp over with GS. Hopefully he will be the first of many successful custom helmets, which will make my army look unified but diverse.

Here are things you might see in this log, seeing as I've already bought them.

30 - 35 Scouts (3 Sniper Rifle Squads, 1 Bolter Squad, 1 CC Squad and the last box is being used for all the Missile Launchers and Heavy Bolters that go in the other squads.)
24 Assault Marines (My basic list has 3 squads of 8, but I will most likely expand upon them as time goes on, I have 35 in total - which brings me to my next point...)
5 Members of Shrike's Wing (I will add more as time goes on, I hope all of them will get the honour of wearing nicely converted custom helmets to display rank with rarity. I've ordered 10 sets of Lightning Claws from BWBits, which I'll divide up for my Veteran Sergeants and these guys.)
Captain Shrike (Who saw that one coming?! Not me!)
Jump-pack Chaplain (I'm wondering if I'll be able to do a GS Bird's skull for his helmet - that would be nice.)
3 Landspeeder Tornados (Currently I intend to make 2 of them Heavy Bolter/Assault Canon combos, and the third will be the Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamer kind.)
2 Devastator Squads (One will have 2 Missile Launchers, the other will have 2 Lascannons. When the plastic Devies come out I will make two full 10 man squads each with 2 more of each weapon.)
Assorted Tactical Marines as I see fit.As for shoulderpads, I'm thinking of practicing freehand Raven Guard logos before I get to that point. For distinguishing Companies, I will be using the number 3 (perhaps transfers, but I loathe using them). I will be following the Index Astartes article on the Raven Guard, and not the screwy convention in the latest Codex. This means that the right shoulderpad of Assault Marines will have red rims, Tactical Marines will have green rims, and Devastators will have yellow - Veteran Sergeants and Shrike's Wing will have their appropriate splash of white.

So there you go, mission statement, some pictures and intentions for the future. Also, if we're lucky, my photography might improve! Thanks for reading. :)

This log was made possible by the following people in no particular order, as of 19/12/2006:

Deadleyheadley - for getting me back into the hobby with his insane project log, and for making me poor.
Spikyjames - for support, painting advice and ideas, awesome trading and he'll probably rescue me from a burning building some day.
Brother Muninn - for a billion good ideas and support.
Khrangar - for conversion advice, support, and for slaughtering my army in the future.
Doghouse - for conversion advice and invaluable GS mentorship.
Rich 123 - for conversion advice and invaluable GS mentorship.
Hideous Loon - for support, Poe knowledge, and being a sweet dude.
Old Gaurd - for support, Poe knowledge, and mind reading abilities.
Light of the Emperor - for support and presenting a challenge to aspire to - also being a great guy.
FearFrost - for the sculpting advice, being a hobbyist to look up to and for all the support.
Mato Noupa - for the awesome ideas on how to sculpt home-made beakies.
KayvaanShrike - for whole slew of ideas and being named after my commander.
Schoolcormorant - for his pickable brains, even though pickable is not a word.
EmperorsChamp01, Devolutionary, Astador, Scorpio, Last_chancer, Althanan, and Athamas - for support and giving a better reception than I thought was possible.
Broom - for sculpting advice.
Mrlemonjelly, shaw3029, Sparda and Tom - for feedback on the first sculpted beakie.

EmperorsChamp01
25-11-2006, 06:13
Be sure to put a Big white stripe down the long hair dudes hair. And be sure to put the make up on thier faces and the crying marks... maybe some smudged make up from all the Crying

Oh and dont froget the cut rist marks!!!!!

devolutionary
25-11-2006, 06:30
AAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA AAAAAAAAAAA THAT IS AWESOME!

Seriously seriously sweet dude. I'm watching this like a hawk.

Brother Muninn
25-11-2006, 06:32
I've done a similar thing in the past, although not with the same level of skill as you.

Interestingly, all my assault troops have corvus helmets as well, and I also converted a bird skull Jump Pack chaplain. Here're some pics of my work thus far.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Scubasteve0209/Gaming/DSCN1572.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Scubasteve0209/Gaming/DSCN1634.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Scubasteve0209/Gaming/DSCN1624.jpg

BodhiTree
25-11-2006, 06:44
Hot damn, Muninn, your guys look great. :) Actually that Chaplain is mighty inspirational too, I might have to borrow some of it, if that's alright with you. I'm glad to see another RG player, especially someone that skilled. Hopefully you can keep me in line. ;)

@ Emperor's Champ - I don't know if I could do bleeding wrists - I could paint symbolic ones on the Scout's gloves I suppose, it really all depends on how it looks in the end. ;) The colouring of the hair idea is something I'll look into. Maybe some of them can get their tips dyed.

@ Devolutionary - I honestly did not expect such a warm reception. Thank you. :)

Brother Muninn
25-11-2006, 06:58
Hey no problem. My pleasure to post in a Raven Guard thread. Maybe we could bounce ideas off each other.

I could even see if I can find and post some of me design sketches if you'd like. You can't tell very well from the pics, but the chappy is using Captain Shrike's jump pack. It has all the Raven Guardy goodness you could ever want.

BodhiTree
25-11-2006, 20:09
Hey no problem. My pleasure to post in a Raven Guard thread. Maybe we could bounce ideas off each other. I'd like that. :) And ditto for the sketches.

Since I woke up very late today, I've resolved myself to assembling all of my Scouts and reading a book. I will be leaving off the rifle and bolter arms for now as they obscure detail, and I hate trying to paint in places like that. If I get all of that done then tomorrow I'll either begin sculpting a lot of hair, or moving onto Assault Marines. If I'm lucky tomorrow will include the mass-priming of Scouts.

I didn't stick that helmet I scultped to anything when I did it, and so it was very clumsy and awkward. Next time I'm gonna do it on a paperclip. :)

Oh yes, as for the bases, I've made them Cityfight-ish. Large tiled walkways with some rubble in odd spots, I'm going to pin everything that goes on one, because I worry about the strength of painted bases and glue.

old guard
25-11-2006, 23:19
Can we safely assume that your company commande or chaplain, perhaps will be called Poe? or maybe Pallas?

BodhiTree
25-11-2006, 23:26
Can we safely assume that your company commande or chaplain, perhaps will be called Poe? or maybe Pallas? Get outta my head! :mad: Who told you about Chaplain Poe?! Who?!

Edit: In other news, Spikyjames and I just made a deal, and I should be expecting a tidy heap of new Beakies in the near future. To this I say woot. I also can't wait to see how pretty he makes his new tank.

old guard
25-11-2006, 23:31
Sorry chap, but I still regurlarly dip in to my copy of the complete works of dear old Edgar Alan..

BodhiTree
25-11-2006, 23:34
Sorry chap, but I still regurlarly dip in to my copy of the complete works of dear old Edgar Alan.. Then you would prove to be an invaluable source of suggestions as I create this force. I was thinking about appropriate poetic names for various units and any other ways I could sneak Poe into this. :)

old guard
25-11-2006, 23:38
Off to bed now, but will dust off said book and be at your disposal sir.

Might be a bit girly calling your librarian Lenore ( just why would parents name their child after a fabric softener!?) but there are plenty more names.

Later

BodhiTree
25-11-2006, 23:43
Awesome. :) Thank you.

Lenore might make for a good name on a Callidus Assassin or somesuch. Hmm...

doghouse
26-11-2006, 00:21
Looking good Bodhi!
Great job on the hair, it looks really good and the sculpted beakie helm will be hard to tell apart from the original when it gets a lick of paint. :)

BodhiTree
26-11-2006, 00:31
Holy smokes, Doghouse - coming from someone as accomplished as you, I'm flattered. Thank you. :)

Sorry if progress is slow right now, I think the part of this hobby I have the most difficulty with is getting junk off the sprue and filing down the flash. It's probably the main reason I have a hard time building momentum. I'm about half done getting the Scouts off the sprue now.

Khrangar
26-11-2006, 05:01
This seems like it'll be quite interesting and I wish you luck. Might I suggest something? Make the sergeants in each unit actually have Mk6 armour.

Here's something that I came up with using a space wolf mk6 torso.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/Sons%20of%20Guilliman/mk6torso.jpg

If you need some mk6 legs or some of the torsos I've made, I'll give you some if I have any left.

Khrangar

BodhiTree
26-11-2006, 05:09
Hey, that's rather brilliant! Thanks for the offer, too. I'm sure later down the road we might be able to do business. ;)

I might test that out eventually as well. I seem to recall someone on this board converting MK7 legs to MK6's, but my memory is rather fuzzy. It must be old age, I'll be 22 soon. :angel:

(See what I did there? Everyone older than me is gonna take a piece outta me now! :) )

spikyjames
26-11-2006, 09:58
22!! i wish i was still that young. if your after some of the marine chest plates that have the ribbing on them aswell as helmets i'm pretty sure i have a few of them too. just pm me if your interested.

james

old guard
26-11-2006, 10:12
Ok, I have the book! so here we go, just looking in the contents:

Hans Pfaall
Von kempelen
valdemar .....mmmmm....wondered wher JK Rowling got that on from then:eyebrows:
Usher ......mmmmmm.
doctor tarr (apothecary?)
Maelzel
Monos & Una
Eiros and Charmion
Landor
Ligeia
Morella
Metzengerstein (might be a place can't remember , will have to re-read)
Zante
Israfel (though I might use that one myself when I go on that great DA shopping spree)
Isadore.

so theres a few to be getting on with. I'll have a trawl through the book and probably PM what I find.

Hideous Loon
26-11-2006, 13:23
Metzengerstein is not a place, it's a family, rivals of the Berlifitzing family. Other Poeian (weird word) names might be Legrand, l'Espanaye, Ethelred, Amontillado, and Lafourcade.

KayvaanShrike
26-11-2006, 13:53
Wow, someone else who is doing Raven Gaurd 3rd Company!!1 I have a whole army of these guys, they are about 1 squad away from being the first fully painted army I have lol!

Quick question, how are you going to paint them? Mine are done in the same way as in the new Marine codex, but with the weapons casings being all black, rather than all silver. And I can't paint the symbol, so I just use two of the white wings from the marine transfer sheet, back to back, so its a pair of wings.

And for so long I held out against my flatmates cries of "your marines are emo" and you go an ruin it lol, though I think its an awesome idea to carry out.

BodhiTree
26-11-2006, 18:32
if your after some of the marine chest plates that have the ribbing on them aswell as helmets i'm pretty sure i have a few of them too. just pm me if your interested.
james Hmm, we'll have to see. I think it'll be some time before I end up doing Marines without jump-packs, but I will contact you if I need any. :)

Ok, I have the book! so here we go, just looking in the contents:

Hans Pfaall
Von kempelen
valdemar .....mmmmm....wondered wher JK Rowling got that on from then
Usher ......mmmmmm.
doctor tarr (apothecary?)
Maelzel
Monos & Una
Eiros and Charmion
Landor
Ligeia
Morella
Metzengerstein (might be a place can't remember , will have to re-read)
Zante
Israfel (though I might use that one myself when I go on that great DA shopping spree)
Isadore.

so theres a few to be getting on with. I'll have a trawl through the book and probably PM what I find. Awesome, thanks so much. :)

Metzengerstein is not a place, it's a family, rivals of the Berlifitzing family. Other Poeian (weird word) names might be Legrand, l'Espanaye, Ethelred, Amontillado, and Lafourcade. I should be able to make good use of those too, thank you!

Wow, someone else who is doing Raven Gaurd 3rd Company!!1 I have a whole army of these guys, they are about 1 squad away from being the first fully painted army I have lol!

Quick question, how are you going to paint them? Mine are done in the same way as in the new Marine codex, but with the weapons casings being all black, rather than all silver. And I can't paint the symbol, so I just use two of the white wings from the marine transfer sheet, back to back, so its a pair of wings.

And for so long I held out against my flatmates cries of "your marines are emo" and you go an ruin it lol, though I think its an awesome idea to carry out. Haha, sorry about that. If you want, just try to hide the existence of this thread from your friends. I'll probably attempt freehand for the Chapter logo, as I've said before, but there were some GW staffers who told me about making my own transfer sheets - I might end up having to do that. It sucks that the Raven Guard certainly don't have a simplistic upside-down Omega sign for their symbol. ;) I'm still not entirely sure on what the weapon colour will be. Last night I began contemplating a dark grey instead of black or metal. I'll probably be attempting the Black Templars-ish means of doing black armour.

Oh yes, Doghouse and Rich 123, if during the next 24 hours you happen to undergo an out of body experience, it's because I've lit some incense, sacrificed a small rodent and have begun channeling your spirits as I attempt a conversion. Hopefully it all pays off by the end of the day. :)

Before I do anything else though, I'm off to stick some pins in my DeadleyHeadley voodoo doll. Muahaha.... right in the hands....

Astador
26-11-2006, 19:22
Haha good luck with your conversions mate. I constantly burn incense and people who see it think I am a chain smoker! SO be careful with your sacrafices!

Khrangar
26-11-2006, 19:42
May I say "Curse you" in the most positive meaning. You've made me want to start a RT era Raven Guard army, using only Mk6 armour.

Khrangar

Brother Muninn
26-11-2006, 21:37
I veered from the poetic, and towards the mythological for my 5th company. My Chaplain's name is Muninn, and my Librarian is Huginn (pronounced Hyu-gin, lest care bear jokes ensue). Which are based on the two ravens that sit on Odin's shoulders in norse Mythology. Muninn means Memory, while Huginn means Thought. I thought it worked nicely

In fact all my named sergeants and the like are named based on the word Raven in other languages. My Tac Squad Sergeant is Bran (Raven in celtic), Dev Squad is Ramn (Old Swedish), etc.

here's where I got a lot of my raven information
http://web.telia.com/~u85903393/corvus_english.html

For my decals I went to the Griffon Games website ( www.griffongames.com )and ordered their iron raven decal sheet which matched the symbol quite well. I just had a gander at their website a while ago though, and the no longer offer it. They do however have a custom decal service. They won't print blatent copyright violations, but I'm sure you can tweak the symbol in some satisfactory way.

BodhiTree
27-11-2006, 04:54
@ Brother Muninn - Yeah, those IP laws suck. GW makes metal shoulderpads for virtually every major chapter but ours. :(

Here's what I've been working on today, it's ultra WIP:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/gahmyarm.jpg

I took one of the Shotgun holding arms from the standard sprue, and I removed the Shotgun, and managed to hollow out the hand so it will hold the binoculars comfortably when there's not sticky tac in the way. Doing the hand was such a pain, I dropped it several times on my floor, which happens to hide tiny grey plastic bits very well. I can still turn the forearm if I have to. Only later did I realize I probably didn't need to remove the hand - stupid me.

I just realized that he doesn't have to be a Sniper Scout, because I didn't glue the head, I could try to rig up a Bolter in the other arm, or even easier, a Bolt Pistol and add the sheathed sword from the kit - but I'm not sure if the kneeling pose will work in the CC squad - opinions? Originally the right arm was going to hold a Sniper Rifle, but I've found that attaching the right arm in a reasonable way isn't as simple as I thought it'd be. Holding a Bolter sky-ward might work. I think he'd make a good Sergeant, do you agree? Here are a couple other angles:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/armcollage.jpg

The hand will fit okay, so don't let the bottom right picture mislead you. So any thoughts on which squad he should be in? :) And thanks for reading.

Light of the Emperor
27-11-2006, 05:00
If I were to play marines, it would be Ravenguard. They are too cool!
Space Emos...haha that's a good one! And I like it!

I'll be watching with interest...you might just get me to start a small force.
Make Corax proud.

Brother Muninn
27-11-2006, 05:45
I have a few more shots of my other little chapter projects. My Librarian, my WIP Commander, scouts, and a "Double Chainsword" assault marine.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Scubasteve0209/Gaming/Librarian.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Scubasteve0209/Gaming/DSCN1618.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Scubasteve0209/Gaming/DSCN1640.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Scubasteve0209/Gaming/Doublesword.jpg

BodhiTree
27-11-2006, 05:50
That chainsword looks mean. :eek: Nice stuff, buddy.

Edit:
Make Corax proud. I'ma try. :) Thanks for lookin'.

Brother Muninn
27-11-2006, 06:41
The scout looks good. One idea might be for you to rest the rifle against his shoulder, and place the stock on the base. Maybe greenstuff a sling for it that way it could hang just under his other arm.

He does look quite commandy, I'd say put him in charge unless you come up with a better leader model.

And yes, it sucks that we don't have our own pads. Hell, even the Raptors have their own pads. They're an offshoot of the Raven Guard to boot.

BodhiTree
27-11-2006, 17:59
The scout looks good. One idea might be for you to rest the rifle against his shoulder, and place the stock on the base. Maybe greenstuff a sling for it that way it could hang just under his other arm. I might try that. Last night when I couldn't sleep I also thought about slinging the rifle behind his back, then I'll just need to find something else to do with his stump - err... hand.

Serious Rant Begins Here:

I've decided that I'm going to do all of this true to Raven Guard fluff. Khrangar, Muninn, you guys have made me consider all of my future actions very seriously.

From this point on, this is going to be a Pure MK6 army. By that I mean I will sculpt MK6 torsos, legs, and place studs on appropriate spots for all power-armoured models. I can still keep the emo scheme in the Scouts :D. So this means everyone will have their studded shoulderpad, and Beakie helm, studded MK6 legs (I can do that with a small variety). I will still be using the newest Bolters, because Deliverance produces close to what a Forgeworld does in munitions, so I'm sure that the newest Bolters are not an issue. If anyone wants to contend that, then please let me know what I should be doing instead.

Also, I'm going to be adding a new section to the original post. It will be an acknowledgements area - after re-reading this thread I've come to see this log as almost a group project, perhaps moreso than a more typical log. Even though this log is young and hasn't had many posts, I've already received an immense amount of help from you guys and my personal ethics demand that I acknowledge you. One thing I struggle with terribly is keeping my motivation, and the interest shown thus far makes me feel like I'm not just spinning my wheels here. So Brother Muninn, Khrangar, Spikyjames, Doghouse, Old Guard, Hideous Loon, KeyvaanShrike, Emperor's Champ, Devolutionary, Astador, Light of the Emperor - I will record everything you've done for me, in the thread or in private messages. When this army is done I want you and everyone else who helps to have some kind of personal satisfaction for having a hand in the finished product. Realistically I want to have a lot of fun with this, but credit must be given where it is due. Even if it's a couple words of encouragement, what it means in the long run will make a difference in the finished product, I need every shred of motivation I can find. :)

With all that being said, I won't be able to pick up the scalpel and green stuff until Wednesday night, I have an assignment that needs doing. :mad:

Hideous Loon
27-11-2006, 18:11
What is that I hear?! Putting school ahead of modelling? Bah, foolery, Warhammer is clearly more important than school!

A pure MkVI army sounds interesting, and the low numbers of a Marine army makes the work lessen, it's not like making an IG army with the same qualifications.

I love the emo-style Scouts, they're a nice change from the usual "crewcut" style, and very fitting with the Raven Guard as well. Keep it up!

Khrangar
27-11-2006, 18:14
My offer still stands for the legs and torsos. If nothing else, I'll help you with the making of the torsos if you want.

Khrangar

KayvaanShrike
27-11-2006, 18:19
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread at all, but thought I would post my Libby up as well, mainly because I am proud of him, and maybe, just maybe he might inspire someone, who knows!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/KayvaanShrike/DSC_0039_edited.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/KayvaanShrike/DSC_0038_edited.jpg

BodhiTree
28-11-2006, 00:36
My offer still stands for the legs and torsos. If nothing else, I'll help you with the making of the torsos if you want.

Khrangar You're the man, I hope you know that. We'll figure it out in good time. :)

What is that I hear?! Putting school ahead of modelling? Bah, foolery, Warhammer is clearly more important than school! I know, it's funny how these things work out. Warhammer is my career, school is merely a hobby. :angel:

@ Kayvaan - You modeled that flying skull? That looks fantastic!

Alright, no pictures right now, so for the sake of all the other logs it's for the best to let it slide to the second or third page before I return to it. Gonna get a good chunk of the assignment done tonight and catch the season finale of Prison Break. You guys have a good night!

Brother Muninn
29-11-2006, 10:04
Bodhi - I didn't think I'd have so much influence on your decision making as I seem to have had. It's a great compliment. One thing you could consider for your Mk6 army, is to collecting a handful of earlier models, like the Maximus, and Crusader bodies. Those aren't too difficult to cut up and use in making several hybrid troops. One other source is some of the newer line of models. There are a handful of antique armor styles in the Veteran models, and I myself traded a few Maximus heads from a Black Templars player who didn't appreciate their significance.

I tend to stick to the idea that older armor is revered, and well maintained, but has been replaced with newer models over time. So There are a handful of Mk6 etc. in each of my squads, but not too many.

Shrike - I dig the Librarian concept. Actually I was looking at one of my unpainted Libs, and dicided to do something similar. I see you modified a standard bolter holding hand to shoot the skull. I was thinking mine will be unmodified, but holding a ball of ethereal fire. I've been wanting to play around with glowing effects, and that would be a good model to start with.

KayvaanShrike
29-11-2006, 18:54
Alas, I didn't convert the model, it was made by my friend out of bits I had lying around, but I gave him the idea and painted it.

I better get back to work as well, uni exams are on the horizon, and closing rapidly!!

Scorpio
29-11-2006, 19:00
All mk6 armor? good. This sounds like a good undertaking and i cant wait to see where it goes.

-Scorpio

spikyjames
29-11-2006, 19:18
this is starting to take off very well.

onto the sniper scout, why not put him on a larger base and give him the spare sniper rifle you get on the sprue. attach the bipod and just place it on the base. you could then have the other hand pointing or something.

james

BodhiTree
29-11-2006, 19:29
this is starting to take off very well.

onto the sniper scout, why not put him on a larger base and give him the spare sniper rifle you get on the sprue. attach the bipod and just place it on the base. you could then have the other hand pointing or something.

james You're my hero. That makes so much more sense.

Oh yeah, everything got sent off to you yesterday morning. The post office had a box that held everything very snugly, and I'm pretty sure I took every measure so you don't have to drop a cent when it comes to you. I know, all of that sounds weird, I've just never had the chance to mail a parcel overseas before. If for any reason somebody on your end does need money from you, I'll reimburse you for it. It shouldn't happen though, because I marked it as a gift.

Hideous Loon
29-11-2006, 21:23
I agree with spikyjames, putting the scout on a larger base will make it easier for you to make it a little diorama, with prone sniper rifle and whatnot.

Since you're doing an emo theme, are you going to make little slashes, real or faked, on the wrists of your models? Heck, it can even be considered a mark of honour or somesuch. It'd be easier to do this with a DIY Chapter, but an inofficial mark of honour, maybe from participating in a particular campaign or something, is never wrong.

Brother Muninn
30-11-2006, 03:14
Since you're doing an emo theme, are you going to make little slashes, real or faked, on the wrists of your models? Heck, it can even be considered a mark of honour or somesuch. It'd be easier to do this with a DIY Chapter, but an inofficial mark of honour, maybe from participating in a particular campaign or something, is never wrong.

Naw, save that theme for a Raven Guard successor chapter: "the Crimson Wrists"

BodhiTree
30-11-2006, 03:28
Since you're doing an emo theme, are you going to make little slashes, real or faked, on the wrists of your models? Heck, it can even be considered a mark of honour or somesuch. It'd be easier to do this with a DIY Chapter, but an inofficial mark of honour, maybe from participating in a particular campaign or something, is never wrong. I think a few of the Scouts will have bloody bandages on their wrists, GS bandages seem to be the easiest thing I've ever tried with them. :)

last_chancer
30-11-2006, 18:13
Naw, save that theme for a Raven Guard founding chapter: "the Crimson Wrists"Nice one, I could place a fair bet that your army only fights in one battle...

If they lose, it could result in mass suicide! :D

Seriously, though... I think this is a great idea for a project log!
(Heck, its the most addictive one since Deadley's!)

Brother Smith
30-11-2006, 22:04
Emo! Booooooooooooooo!

Hideous Loon
30-11-2006, 22:25
last_chancer: Yeah, if they lose, it'd be all "Oh no, we suck, I wanna die!" *slash* *slash* The Crimson Wrists, the largest Space Marine failure since the Heresy.

Bloody bandages are a good way to imply self-inflicted injuries, without actually modelling them.

DISCLAIMER: I don't hate emos, so please do not see my post as trolling, but the emo stereotypes (which in no way conform to the actual individuals) are too funny to let slip.

Brother Muninn
30-11-2006, 23:00
Their battle cry could be "The Emperor never loved us!"

BodhiTree
01-12-2006, 00:34
(Heck, its the most addictive one since Deadley's!) By only posting a handful of pictures of unfinished models, that's an utterly massive compliment. I must be doing something right - although I'd never compare myself to Deadley, I've got nothing on him.

Emo! Booooooooooooooo! Hey man, don't be drinkin' the hatorade. ;)

So, I should explain why progress has been slow, and I have a few theories. One is this:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/squiggy.jpg
The other is that I had that assigment, and also I've not been well - but it's the sort of illness best not discussed on WarSeer - I'm just going through a tough time and hoping it'll be over very soon.

I'm going to try and have at least one finished GSed model tonight so that you'll have something to look at (and justify the amount of posts so far). My parents are asking me to come home for the weekend because they're worried about me, so I can't update the log with any pictures this weekend (boo, hiss!). Sorry about that. The good news is that next week I only have one exam and a single class, so I should be able to get some more work done on the army. :)

Edit: I have a theory about how my army is going to turn out, it involves Spikyjames.
- Where James has his Mentor Legion in mostly white and green, my Raven Guard will be mostly black and red.
- Where James' Marines use the newest technology, mine use some of the oldest.
- Where's James' Marines are painted to an amazing degree, I'm just hoping that mine won't look like poop on a stick.

Althanan
01-12-2006, 01:25
It's a fascinating project, and one well worth the attention it's getting :)

and also I've not been well - but it's the sort of illness best not discussed on WarSeer - I'm just going through a tough time and hoping it'll be over very soon.

Understandable if I'm understanding you correctly. Hope all works out for the best mate.

Brother Muninn
01-12-2006, 04:44
So, I should explain why progress has been slow... The other is that I had that assigment, and also I've not been well - but it's the sort of illness best not discussed on WarSeer - I'm just going through a tough time and hoping it'll be over very soon.

No worries buddy. Hobbies are what you do when you have the time (or skewed priorities). Feel better soon.

BodhiTree
01-12-2006, 05:19
Thanks guys.

Also, the irony of it all isn't lost on me, heh. :eyebrows:

Edit: Anyhoo, we should move on from that topic. I don't want to trouble the Inquisition, I like my lil' project log.

last_chancer
01-12-2006, 17:39
What I meant by addictive was: intriguing and/or compusive...

You have a great theme going, something we lack on this forum. Most people are just doing exotic armies (i.e. DK and other IG or FW themes) You found that "Dare to be different" moment, and the inspiration that people spend ages looking for, before realising that is right under their nose... [/speech]

I'd also be interested to hear your ideas for special characters... :D

spikyjames
01-12-2006, 17:43
mate hope you feel better soon, hopefully the helmets give you the motivation to get going again.

james

oh yeah, thanks for the complement:)

old guard
01-12-2006, 18:38
Chin up chap when things get tough at uni theres only one thing to do.... reach for the Animal House DVD and it all goes away!

All the best fella, nothing quite like being at home to sort you out.

FearFrost
01-12-2006, 18:57
I know the feeling, its tough sometimes being away from home, especially at school where your stress levels are through the roof.

As much as warseer and 40k are good things, you should try and be as social as possible...it really helped me in some difficult times I had/have in school.

BodhiTree
02-12-2006, 14:53
I'd also be interested to hear your ideas for special characters... :D Y'know, I only just realized now that despite all of the fluff regarding the Raven Guard, Captain Shrike's model is not wearing MK6 armour. :mad: I need to fix that - that's probably going to be a more ambitious conversion than what I intend for my plastics. If I can make studs on the legs then all the better, he will look the part, I'm sure. I might test out that idea on the metal jump-pack Chaplain first. I'm sure filing down metal and replacing it with GS won't be impossible, it will just probably involve more swearing on my part. I probably won't alter Shrike's chest-plate (unless I have some amazing inspiration), but the legs will be fixed.

As for the inspiration and time spent looking for it - I originally came back to this hobby with the mindset of doing Black Templars (they're on the shelf right now with my LE Emperor's Champion), then I decided maybe I could try the Doom Eagles which I've always loved (that'll be a tournament army someday - I wonder how they'd look in SENMM?), then I decided I'd rather do a DIY Chapter (that's my dream army for when I'm approaching the skill of Spikyjames/Fearfrost/Hortwerth etc.), then I changed my mind again and considered doing Khorne or Thousand Sons, but I realized that Khorne probably wasn't the best way to reintroduce the game to myself, and Thousand Sons for a first army might be painful to start with (someday though..) - and then finally, I settled on the Space Emos, and even this week I adjusted the theme slightly... I think what this means is that when I'm married and my first child is born, I will encourage my wife to name the baby before I come up with a range of names like 'Panzershrek' to 'Jimbob' regardless of gender.

I hear you on the sociability, FearFrost. It's weird how that happens. But despite all of that, I'm glad I know you guys. Thanks for the well-wishes. :)

Edit: Oh yes, James. You're right about the helmets. Before I left my apartment yesterday I was staring at a pile of 47 Beakie helmets and I'm pretty sure I was giddy. I'm glad I was able to do the trades for so many.

Scorpio
02-12-2006, 16:14
Sounds like there will be pictures soon...47 beakie helmets?:D

EDIT: sweet post 1,001 I didnt even notice!

Get better man!
-Scorpio

spikyjames
02-12-2006, 16:26
so have you got enough helmets now?:D

just to let you know i was raking through my bits box and found another 2 helmets and another pair of legs, if you need them let me know.

eagerly awaiting pics.

james:)

Brother Muninn
02-12-2006, 21:17
I saw this a while back on the M,P,&T. Maybe it'd give you an idea on how to convert your own Shrike. It doesn't look to be outside your skills.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45846&highlight=Shrike

BodhiTree
05-12-2006, 22:29
so have you got enough helmets now?:D

just to let you know i was raking through my bits box and found another 2 helmets and another pair of legs, if you need them let me know.

eagerly awaiting pics.

james:) Hehe, well, if I have something worth trading for them, I will find out and let you know. :) Pics are on the way!

I saw this a while back on the M,P,&T. Maybe it'd give you an idea on how to convert your own Shrike. It doesn't look to be outside your skills.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45846&highlight=Shrike Ooh, I remember that! I might be able to pull off something like that... I think I'll leave Shrike for last - by then I might have built up enough experience and courage with green stuff to try something that ambitious. Also, I like leaving the attention grabbing miniatures for last, because I'll probably be comfortable in my painting formula by then.

I'm getting daunted by all the stuff I have to convert and paint. So I think I will resolve myself to getting this stuff done squad by squad, which I think every rational painter tends to do. I hope to have at least 1 Scout squad converted and primed in the next 7 days - if I'm a good boy, maybe 2 squads so I can have some diversity between Snipers and regular Scouts.

As for medical stuff, I think I've made some good steps in the right direction. One of my big problems has been my inability to sleep, which causes me to only drop off by 5 to 6 am and wake up in the afternoon. My folks have helped me enforce a stronger routine so I can cope with the problems in my doses for now, and hopefully the doctors will be able to come up with a solution next week. It's hard to feel motivated enough to do anything when you lose half the day.

Next Wednesday is my birthday, and I think I might have a 40k related item or two on the way, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a new bean bag chair though, and since I work off a low table this will help out the project. This week I'm going to look for brass pins for studding armour.

Also, I'm going to try and get a new prescription for my glasses and contact lenses in the next 2 weeks, which should help quite a bit with sculpting and painting. I haven't gotten a new prescription in 3 years and as it stands - I've been walking into walls.

As for everything else - I think I have all my resources. I'm full up on primer, I got my mega-paint set last month, and I have enough green stuff to sculpt a Deadleyheadley voodoo doll. I also got my pairs of Lightning Claws from BWbits last week, although out of the 10 sets I ordered, I got 9 sets and two left claws - but I'm going to see if I can work with BWbits on that or just order more in the future. I mean, who doesn't want a 10 man Shrike's Wing?!

So, yes, it's time to move forward and actually crack down on this thing. :) Also, for the love of Pete, somebody make sure I don't buy anything more until I have all of my RG painted! I need about 20 more Tac Marines for the 3rd Company in the next few months, but beyond the RG I have so much other stuff that it would only be wasteful to spend any more money on miniatures.

FearFrost
06-12-2006, 02:47
...then I decided I'd rather do a DIY Chapter (that's my dream army for when I'm approaching the skill of Spikyjames/Fearfrost/Hortwerth etc.)

Wow, nice to be included in such skilled company :) I think I have a way to go before my stuff is as clean as James or my layering is as good as Hortwerths!

As for medical stuff, I think I've made some good steps in the right direction. One of my big problems has been my inability to sleep, which causes me to only drop off by 5 to 6 am and wake up in the afternoon. My folks have helped me enforce a stronger routine so I can cope with the problems in my doses for now, and hopefully the doctors will be able to come up with a solution next week.

I get insomnia really bad too...although yours sounds like its a side effect or something like that. I got to the point where I cant sleep an entire night without waking up like 20 times, so I started taking benadryl every night to knock me out. It works, kinda.

I definately think you should start REALLY small. Assemble a squad and just go to town on it. The joy at having that squad done will fire you up for the next.

Luck,

Frost

BodhiTree
06-12-2006, 04:25
Wow, nice to be included in such skilled company :) I think I have a way to go before my stuff is as clean as James or my layering is as good as Hortwerths! You're a lot better than you think you are.

I definately think you should start REALLY small. Assemble a squad and just go to town on it. The joy at having that squad done will fire you up for the next. You're right. I don't want to feel any more swamped than I already am. I'll just have fun with the hair first off. And then test out my new Series 7 brushes.

It's so easy to get inspiration for emo-cuts - I just watched a recent music video by A.F.I.... but I remember when they weren't emo. The other funny thing is that in my research on emo, it's come to light that I listen to several emo bands and I didn't even know it. But I have a very wide taste in music and almost a month of it on my computer, so I guess that was bound to happen. Ah well - if it sounds good I'll listen to it.

The insomnia might have been licked. Ever have your mom plop a cold towel on your face at 8 in the morning? It's pretty funny after you stop being groggy. I'll find out tomorrow morning anyway.

Oh yeah, I guess this is a personal request - if everyone here called me by my first name instead of my username it would be awesome. I wonder if I can actually get my username changed, but then again that's probably unlikely. Anyway, guys, call me Vee, please. :)

FearFrost
06-12-2006, 04:42
Haha, my mom used to hate when I'd leave cups in my room. Inevitably, Id get woken up by her pouring the half cup of water on my head.

It wasnt as fun as you think it might have been ;)

No problem, Vee.

Althanan
06-12-2006, 18:30
Ahhh, insomnia. There's a Tylenol product, Simply Sleep, that does wonders for it. It's like Benadryl without the antihistamines.

Hideous Loon
06-12-2006, 20:47
I know what you mean about the music part, Vee. (Do you also have a Guy Fawkes mask and a cloak?) I did the same about EBM a while ago, well, not quite the same, I hated EBM a year ago, since it wasn't metal enough, and now it's what I listen to mostly. Oh well, IRL can be so surprising.

I concur with FearFrost, paint a small squad first and go to town on their detailing, then move on, with the satisfaction that "well, at least I finished that squad".

spikyjames
06-12-2006, 23:07
vee

the way i do my squads are 1 at a time, i've found that if you make up to much stuff you get overwhelmed, you kinda look at it and then start thinking where to start, look at deadly's thread see how he does it, can you imagine if he just built all of his stuff.
it definatley helps keep you motivated as you cant play with your army until it's all done.
so yeah 1 squad at a time and start with something basic.

BodhiTree
07-12-2006, 03:22
The wise have spoken en masse. I shall do as you say. :) Sniper Scouts are on the way.

(Do you also have a Guy Fawkes mask and a cloak?) I must say, the graphic novel and movie really spoke to me. :cool: I only realized on Nov. 1st that I should have gone as him for Halloween. I think I'll be doing that every year from now on though - I'll also need to read the entire 'V' section of the dictionary.

BodhiTree
13-12-2006, 05:01
Okay, I know I'm prolonging this thread's picture famine but please be patient. I took pictures of all the sculpted haircuts for the first squad, but I don't know if I'm completely happy with them. The pictures didn't really come out right either, and so I'm going to be waiting for better light tomorrow morning rather than waste everyone's time. Which brings me to my question - in 12 hours, is it still possible to remove the hair I've done? Or have I pretty much closed that window of opportunity? Regardless, I'll have pictures tomorrow - so you can tell me if I should set fire to the models or not. I was planning on priming them tomorrow when I planned things out this morning, but I forgot it was my birthday and so I might be shorter on time than I planned. My roomie already gave me 30$ in GW gift certificates, so I will be ordering more Night Lords shoulder pads, I think...

Melchiah
13-12-2006, 05:16
I bet The Canucks win the cup before the BodhiTree posts a pic :angel:. lol

BodhiTree
13-12-2006, 06:24
I bet The Canucks win the cup before the BodhiTree posts a pic :angel:. lol Patience, chum. Like my previous post stated, I'm waiting for daylight. Your encouragement knows no bounds.:eyebrows:

I'm pretty sure that's going to happen well before the playoffs, but at least you put the Canucks in that sentence and not the Leafs, I might have been offended otherwise. Surely I'll get truckloads of stuff done before they ever win the cup.

Melchiah
13-12-2006, 10:11
Patience, chum. Like my previous post stated, I'm waiting for daylight. Your encouragement knows no bounds.:eyebrows:

I'm pretty sure that's going to happen well before the playoffs, but at least you put the Canucks in that sentence and not the Leafs, I might have been offended otherwise. Surely I'll get truckloads of stuff done before they ever win the cup.

Sorry, just trying get you in to the emo spirit. It's being raining pretty hard here im getting down, maybe i'll listen to some grunge in the dark.:angel:

BodhiTree
14-12-2006, 03:48
I'm not sure if you exactly understand my motivations in this project judging from your post, but no matter, onto pictures.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/morehair.jpg
Visor guy is obviously a ML user, so I didn't really mind if I messed up too much because the weapon would obscure a good deal of it. He's also a bit of a rip-off of one of my first guys. The short haired guy was attempted after, and I'm not sure if I'm totally happy with him. I know that the goggles on his forehead would probably push his hair up like that, so if anyone has any better ideas, perhaps by making it shorter, I would probably be swayed.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/longhair1.jpg
Okay, I spent a lot more time on this one I think I got the effect, or was at least sorta close. Scouts would get their hair cut when they're initiated to full Battle-Brother status, because I can't see emo-hair working well in a helmet. They're probably tone it down to one of those My Chemical Romance cuts. I want to replicate some of those soon.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/longhair2.jpg
Buddy here I'm pretty happy with, his hair is also long but still cut differently, and I think I got the splayed out effect on his cloak, or at least it's close.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/group.jpg
Okay, I realize not all of them look completely emo, but there seems to be more diversity in the sub-culture than I realized. I think painting them all how I intend to, and dividing these guys up amongst other squads will perhaps help. If no one objects (and if you do, please let me know), I will prime these guys tomorrow and begin painting them. I'm reasonably sure I won't hit as many difficulties on Scouts not wearing goggles.

I didn't pursue the Sergeant conversion yet, partly because I haven't really felt confident enough to attempt it yet, so I will be saving him for closer to the end of the Scouts, unless I get inspired all of a sudden. Once more, sorry for the photo-famine, and maybe if we're lucky we might see some painted miniatures before the world ends.

Thanks for lookin'!

FearFrost
14-12-2006, 03:55
Nicely done!

*throws paintbrushes at you*

You know what to do.

athamas
14-12-2006, 04:06
nicly done....

im gona have to work on skulpting hair, but i want it for capes so want more of a fur effect..

also, i think i know why you are being slow/lazy.... you go to UofT.... *shakes head and walks away* :p

[ps im a trent student]

BodhiTree
19-12-2006, 18:20
Nicely done!

*throws paintbrushes at you*

You know what to do.
I'm on it, and thanks. :) They've been primed and if I work up the nerve I will try them out tonight.

nicly done....

im gona have to work on skulpting hair, but i want it for capes so want more of a fur effect..

also, i think i know why you are being slow/lazy.... you go to UofT.... *shakes head and walks away* :p

[ps im a trent student]
Thank you. :) Fur might actually be easier than hair. If you have a couple dental picks lying around, or can find a store that sells them, they're probably the best tool for the job. I found a bunch for dirt cheap at a store called Active Surplus on Queen St. I don't know if you have access to any, but if you want I could pick some up and mail them to you - if we do that in the new year it would be easier though.

My roomie graduated from Trent last year with a Psychology degree. I was actually told that I would've fit in there rather well, y'know, being a bit left of centre and all.

I'm also posting to let you guys know that the acknowledgments section is up in the original post, it will be edited and added to as time goes on.

I was also rather surprised that this thread was only at the 4th page, I went looking at the 8th and 9th pages first - this only means that WarSeer needs more of these logs.

I also have a fully purchased Lizardmen army and I'm practicing my painting on the Skull Pass box - I've also got some IG, Night Lords and some Templars which need doing. All of this makes me wonder if I should look into adding to the title and pursuing one massive crazy log - it seems to be in fashion. Suggestions?

FearFrost
20-12-2006, 02:17
Well, Im not sure if you have a fully painted army yet. If you do, go to town, paint whatever. If you dont, dont distract yourself with other things until at least a decent army of raven guard are done :)

schoolcormorant
22-01-2007, 21:27
mining metaphor - you know when rocks are falling out of the ceiling? and then in the corner of your eye you see a little bit of gold?
no? well that's cos you're not miners.
anyway, i looked a Bodhi's sig and saw the link and checked it out and i'm thinking - how comes i missed this? i even got a mention on the first post and i dion't notice :p
and i'm sorry to hear you've not been well mate, perhaps heroine might help, it's good for a while but is very moreish ;)
and, i'm reading this, and not just looking at the pretty pictures ;)

please restart this !!!!!!!!!!
SC
PS - apologies for the awful heroine joke.

spikyjames
22-01-2007, 21:57
vee

you know you wan't to post some painted stuff go on:D

it'll also give us the oppertunity to give you any advise you might need, but to be honest mate if your painting's up to the same standard as your gs work, i don't think you'll need much.

BodhiTree
23-01-2007, 00:17
Hey thanks guys. :)

I must say seeing this thread pop up on my User CP sort of scared the daylights out of me. Like I told Khrangar earlier, when I came back to my apartment, I had the misfortune of having 50 hours to throw at a certain game which rhymes with Pwilight Twincess. That being said, I finished up with that last week, and just got some administrative details about my new courses ironed out. So now that my schedule is all fixed up, I will be making more time for this - that and I really do want to show you guys my progress since you've all been so nice to me.

I have a couple papers to nuke this week, but I promise I will make a come-back very, very soon. I might throw in some painting-practice models, like my mutilating the Skull Pass guys, but I figure everyone must be pretty bored with them by now. I just want to do this army justice.

Anyhoo, thank you for thinking about me - it turned an other-wise horrible day on its head. Oh, and I think I'm doing significantly better health-wise, so no worries about that - I've assembled a team of the brightest minds of our age to assist me. Noam Chomsky is cooking my dinner as I post.

- Vee

Captain_Wolverine
23-01-2007, 00:19
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/squiggy.jpg

with out the uni sweater on I could easily tell your a student just by the posters you have on the wall

BodhiTree
28-01-2007, 04:12
with out the uni sweater on I could easily tell your a student just by the posters you have on the wall Heh, that is rather true. I also have posters of Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr., how I have such hobbies based on violence I have no idea.:angel:

Anyway, I'm repeating another post here from the Painting Support Group (is that okay, WarSeer Mods?) because I'm asking for help, so I figured if I couldn't find help there, I might find it here. :)

Okay, I suffer from low confidence, so it must show through my painting.

Anyway, I took a few minutes to try highlighting some boots tonight, I know the lighting isn't ideal, I just want to see if it's remotely passable and what I could do to improve.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/boots.jpg

I used the standard method: Chaos Black > Chaos Black/Codex Grey > Codex Grey > Fortress Grey.

I think my biggest problem is shaky hands. I never really had that problem before, and I don't really know how to put an end to it. Any suggestions? I clamped the model down, but that only took care of the mini, not my hands.

Thanks for your time, and for looking. :)

Light of the Emperor
28-01-2007, 04:41
From what I can see, the highlights look fine! Waaaaay better than me attempting black, thats for sure. The lines are in the right places and I can tell where pieces of the boots start and end.

As for shaky hands, this can come from a variety of things. Don't drink caffinated beverages before painting. It tends to make people hyper. Sodas and coffee actually make me sleepy haha.
Perhaps it may be time of day. Restless legs and sometimes arms, tend to occur more towards night time.
It could also simply be that you are concentrating too hard. Once you notice your hands are shaking, it tends to get worse.

And if the Ravenguard are the emo's of the marine chapters, then who are the grunge rockers?

FearFrost
28-01-2007, 04:45
They are pretty decent highlights, from what the photo shows. I would probably just stop at codex grey, espesh for TT models, just because the extra layer probably isnt neccesary and for it to look smooth and spikeyjames-like, that last light highlight would have to be SUPER thin.

Here is how I fix my shaky hands issue:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Hands.jpg

Brace your hands together, so that instead of your two hands shaking and working independently (and against) each other, hold your hands together so the only movement of the brush is done by small movements of your forefinger and thumb...sort of like using chopsticks :) My hands are super shaky and this pretty much fixes the problem. If I tried to attach the mini to something and paint it with a free floating hand, it would be almost impossible :)

Props to my lady for taking the pic.

Frost

BodhiTree
28-01-2007, 04:57
As for shaky hands, this can come from a variety of things. Don't drink caffinated beverages before painting. It tends to make people hyper. Sodas and coffee actually make me sleepy haha.
Perhaps it may be time of day. Restless legs and sometimes arms, tend to occur more towards night time.
It could also simply be that you are concentrating too hard. Once you notice your hands are shaking, it tends to get worse.

And if the Ravenguard are the emo's of the marine chapters, then who are the grunge rockers? Thanks for all of that. I might cut down on the afternoon tea (although I love mah tea). Oh yeah, grunge rockers would have to be Space Wolves, there's no way around it.

They are pretty decent highlights, from what the photo shows. I would probably just stop at codex grey, espesh for TT models, just because the extra layer probably isnt neccesary and for it to look smooth and spikeyjames-like, that last light highlight would have to be SUPER thin.

Brace your hands together, so that instead of your two hands shaking and working independently (and against) each other, hold your hands together so the only movement of the brush is done by small movements of your forefinger and thumb...sort of like using chopsticks :) My hands are super shaky and this pretty much fixes the problem. If I tried to attach the mini to something and paint it with a free floating hand, it would be almost impossible :)

Props to my lady for taking the pic.

Frost Dude, you and your lady are awesome! My thanks to both of you, I'll make it a habit from now on.

I'll thin the lines down like you suggest. On the case of TT models though, I'm not sure how my perfectionism will pan out with painting at a reasonable rate. I did borrow a tad from GW's extreme-highlighting method for black, so I guess that was to be expected. I'll play around with it tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

FearFrost
28-01-2007, 05:00
No prob man :) Just for the record, when I said thin, I mean thin as in width of the highlight line, not thin as in paint consistency. Just wanted to clarify that. Your consistency looks pretty good, no bumps or impasto in the paint.

Rock on, go paint!

BodhiTree
28-01-2007, 05:03
Good and good. I figured you meant the line was too thick though, but it's also great to know my thinning is alright too!

Light of the Emperor
28-01-2007, 05:06
Interesting...I saw the Wolves as the metalheads since they have long hair and beards. They probably listen to all that death metal that comes from Scandenavia. I would've picked the DA as grunge rock because they are dark...and their fortress is called the "rock".

Aaaaanyways....Fear Frost is right with the hand bracing. GW lists two examples in their "How to paint citadel miniatures" book. I use the same technique as above, but I rest my wrists on the edge of the table so there is almost no motion at all.

As for the black, I painted a commissar (second to last page in my log). I hate the extreme highlights so I painted a codex/black mix over a black undercoat, highlighted the edges with codex and washed the highlights down with a black ink. As soon as you put lights on a model with black paint, you'll see real highlights anyways. No big difference IMO.

BodhiTree
29-01-2007, 04:06
This post goes out to all my party-people. Word.

Anyhoo, I spent some time on Mr. Scout, although it is now late and the lighting does nothing but demean everything I did today. So boohoo. I took a picture anyway, it's not horrible, but you will not want to marry it. I figured by this point it would be unfair to you folks to not show some paint on a model, since you've all been so helpful. :) (Please keep in mind I haven't finished a model in 6 years - up to a month ago I hadn't picked up a brush since I was 16 - I'm 22 now. I never expected to pull a CMDante (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42033) on this.)

You can see me toying with the highlighting on the armour a little, even though a good chunk of it was pointless since it will be covered by a rifle. I figured I could use the practice. There is also the beginnings of some eye-makeup although I've not figured out the pasty skin completely (the goggles provide some misleading shade.. I'll figure it out). I'm also enjoying these wonderful squinting eyes that these heads have on - it really makes my day not being able to figure out how to even dot it with a 3/0 brush. The pants have been highlighted, although the lighting is exaggerating it a little. I would be content with this eventually at least scraping a 5.0 on CMON, and so to save my sanity and self-esteem I'm backing off of this, I think.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/omfg.jpg

I've no idea when I'm even going to finish this model, as I have some work I need to see to this week or die. By die I mean fail.

Oh yes, the basecoat on the cape and the black primer on the hair began coming off as I toiled away on him, I will be more careful in the future.

I completely regret not starting with a Marine first. They're far more simple. In fact, I might just shift my focus onto them first as they're easier to do and save (both meanings) this Scout and his buddies for later. Anyone wanna fight me over it? :mad:

Interesting...I saw the Wolves as the metalheads since they have long hair and beards. They probably listen to all that death metal that comes from Scandenavia. I would've picked the DA as grunge rock because they are dark...and their fortress is called the "rock". Actually that's pretty fair. I think the Raven Guard can grab up a good chunk of "Nu Metal" though. Actually, I can see Imperial Fists and rock music going together, dunno why though. :)

FearFrost
29-01-2007, 04:47
Flesh Tearers listen to thrash metal, thats all I know.

Looking good man, keep on trucking! (inbetween school stuff) :)

That model looks better than a 5.0, even in WIP form.

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you stick to it...ie, stick to scouts until the squad is done, or stick to SMs :)

Frost

liamrob
29-01-2007, 05:46
()MG these are coming along nicely. Yes fearfrost thats how i do my painting when i start to get shaky hands. If you smoke that can screw up your nerves and make them shaky to so stay off em if u do smoke :)

Just curious but what is your recipe for the legs on the scouts. The creamy bit. I have tryed about 5 times and can't get any of it right :p

BodhiTree
29-01-2007, 19:55
Flesh Tearers listen to thrash metal, thats all I know.

Looking good man, keep on trucking! (inbetween school stuff) :)

That model looks better than a 5.0, even in WIP form.

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you stick to it...ie, stick to scouts until the squad is done, or stick to SMs :)

Frost Thanks, man. Crappy picture and all - it means a lot. I might finish him up first, I'm not horribly certain though. Looking at it in the daylight today I feel a lot better about him.

()MG these are coming along nicely. Yes fearfrost thats how i do my painting when i start to get shaky hands. If you smoke that can screw up your nerves and make them shaky to so stay off em if u do smoke :)

Just curious but what is your recipe for the legs on the scouts. The creamy bit. I have tryed about 5 times and can't get any of it right :p No worries man, I hit up the cigarellos when I drink sometimes, but that's rather rare. Like I mentioned in SC's log, a couple smooth coats of Bleached Bone over Bestial Brown. I revisited the creases with a watered down Snakebite Leather and then highlighted the Bleached Bone with a 1:1 Bleached Bone/Skull White mix, and a final extreme highlight in a few spots with Skull White.

I'm going to wait until I get a pen which could dot the eyes, and I have the whites sorted out already. Today between schoolwork and season 3 of Smallville I'm going to begin modifications to Marine torsos to make proper MK. 6 ones, a la Rich 123.

Take care and thanks for looking!

spikyjames
29-01-2007, 20:01
good to see some painting going on, and looking good aswell.

keep it up.

UnRiggable
29-01-2007, 22:46
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Hands.jpg

Wait a minute - who took that picture?

KayvaanShrike
29-01-2007, 22:47
He said in his post it was his lady that took it.

So what are you painting just now, your Scouts? I gave my scouts grey fatigues, thought it complemented the black armour better than the bone I used on previous scouts.

BodhiTree
30-01-2007, 00:03
good to see some painting going on, and looking good aswell.

keep it up.

james:) Thanks, James. :) From you and Fearfrost it's high praise indeed.

He said in his post it was his lady that took it.

So what are you painting just now, your Scouts? I gave my scouts grey fatigues, thought it complemented the black armour better than the bone I used on previous scouts. I went with off-white because I intend to do the cloak in a grey camo pattern - coupled with black armour, black hair and pale faces I figured I needed something to break it up a little bit. I'm probably going to do red goggles and sniper scopes (Infra-red rocks, I don't need no *******' night-vision!) as well.

I spent an hour or so this afternoon filing off chest eagles and carving/filing out stomach cabling on 5 torsos. They came out pretty well, although I'll have to smooth them over with green stuff before I sculpt true MK6 cabling on the torsos - it's kind of like \|/ for anyone who doesn't know or has forgotten. I was thinking of using the brass pins Light of the Emperor sent me (Thanks again, man.) for the studding of shoulder pads and greaves, but I might save them for something special later. I think I might use a bunch of regular steel dress making pins for smaller studs, so I can fit more on. The smallest bit that comes with the GW pin-vise can make holes wide enough for the pin, and still have the head sit properly outside. Over this week I intend to begin some dynamically posed Assault Marines, and possibly finish up the Scout. :)

I also want to try and do what Dominus Ex Machina (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1170634&postcount=59) did for his Marines, the spiffy paper Chapter badge. Although I can see myself struggling with the Raven Guard logo, I even feel hard pressed to find an image of it I can competently manipulate in Adobe Photoshop. I'll also do paper X badges for the jump-packs. I won't need to do Tactical or Devastator badges because I'm going to use the original Raven Guard squad convention for shoulder pad rims - Red for Assault, Green for Tactical, Yellow for Devastator, and White for Veteran.

So stealing from Dominus and Dicky, I'm a bad, bad man. :mad:

T_55
30-01-2007, 06:35
Fantastic looking army so far BodhiTree, your scouts look great, awesome detail, very cool greenstuff work as well, love the marines.

liamrob
30-01-2007, 10:33
I didn't notice it was you :p

I'm going to try that tomorow when i get some time. But first i want to try GS on marines. Check out my log :)

I love your GSing so i might have a try at an emo dude to. Keep up the hard work!

schoolcormorant
30-01-2007, 15:57
yeah, nice to see this resurrected.
i like you're sculpted hair and the scouts look great. i'm painting mine at the moment, they seem quite nice to paint really.

keep it up :)
SC

BodhiTree
30-01-2007, 16:15
Fantastic looking army so far BodhiTree, your scouts look great, awesome detail, very cool greenstuff work as well, love the marines. Thanks, T_55. I love how I freak out after working on something and then just about everyone tells me I'm doing okay. Your stuff is always great to look at, and I'm jealous of your ability to update a million times faster than I do.

I didn't notice it was you :p

I'm going to try that tomorow when i get some time. But first i want to try GS on marines. Check out my log :)

I love your GSing so i might have a try at an emo dude to. Keep up the hard work! Can do. Your log is looking sweet too. When you do use green stuff, I suggest using petroleum jelly instead of water as a lubricant - I find it far easier to work with, water dries way too quickly. Just don't overdo it though, it'll be too slippery, and when the putty cures, take a damp tissue and wipe down your model so you can get it clean before applying paint. If you can get some easy access to dental picks, then go for them - I got mine at a surplus store for cheap, and I got a 4 piece sculpting set at an art store - don't go for the GW stuff, it's a complete rip-off.

yeah, nice to see this resurrected.
i like you're sculpted hair and the scouts look great. i'm painting mine at the moment, they seem quite nice to paint really.

keep it up :)
SCThanks, SC. I wasn't even sure when this was going to come back at all, thanks to you it did. I do like painting the Scouts, but I think I could have made things easier on myself - out of all the models in the Loyalist SM range, the Scouts are probably the most detailed box set, and coming back to painting from so long a break as mine, it was probably the best way to frustrate myself. I still kind of resent the faces on them, which is part of the reason why I sculpted new hair, if they looked more realistic like their IG counterparts I would have been happier. Anyhoo, I have some grand ideas about converting some Beakies, and I've found SM torsos aren't that hard to mess with. So if everything goes according to plan, I can add a couple more notches to my sculpting belt.

Oh yeah, if anyone knows of a 'blank' Raven Guard logo - as in, just the Raven, nothing else, please let me know where I can find one. I still want to do the paper badges. Freaking GW - they give us a special character but they'll give custom shoulderpads to every other Chapter but ours. Grr....

schoolcormorant
30-01-2007, 17:11
i'm with you on the detail of the heads, well, my scout sergeant has a Cadian sergeant head, very well detailed (shame there;s only the one variant :() and it fits perfectly really.

SC

BodhiTree
04-02-2007, 01:23
i'm with you on the detail of the heads, well, my scout sergeant has a Cadian sergeant head, very well detailed (shame there;s only the one variant :() and it fits perfectly really.

SC Yeah, if I could get more bare heads I'd use them for a future IG project. I really don't want to use the Scout ones, I'll probably get some Catachan ones, but they're not the best. I want to sculpt Commissar-style hats for each one, and try my hand at Terrax Guard, the IG from the Commissar training world.

Anyhoo, I didn't want anyone to think I've been lazy, as I've been toiling away at something recently. It's still very WIP so the end result ought to look much better.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/ruunybeak.jpg
I'm not sure if the pictures can really tell you much. I've had my browser sitting on Dicky's thread for the better part of the day while I teach myself how to do this. The legs are the regular MK.6 legs you get in a Tactical Squad, I've tried to make them even more dynamic than their running counterparts. The left leg has been repositioned at every joint - I have the ankle fully extended in stride, the knee was brought to a 90 degree bend, and the hip was adjusted to accommodate the motion. The right foot was cut and reattached to give you the impression that he's really leaning into this run, I also toyed with the right knee a little. I had to file off the purity seal on the right foot as well. You can also see on the torso the beginnings of MK.6 cabling. I think for my first time at trying this I did okay. Edit: Don't worry, he isn't falling over, as he'll have a jump-pack on his back.

I will be tidying up the ribbing on the joints tonight, and perhaps finishing up the torso. Like the leg, I also studded a shoulder-pad, and so you will see a true MK.6 Assault Marine soon!

If anyone ever feels tempted to do what I'm trying here, I want you to know two things:
1. Only do this if you feel comfortable with the fact that you may never finish the army before you die.
2. Do all the repositioning first, and THEN stick in the studs. Nothing is more frustrating than having the studs come out on you.

Kidding aside, my speed should pick up as I get used to doing this sort of thing. I also have a good idea on what the arms will be like (not as crazy). I ended up not using super-glue on the studs, because applying it to each hole I drilled and then going through the hassle of inserting the top of the pin in would mean the glue would probably dry before I ever got it in, plus the mess I'd make of the leg. Instead I took a pin, put it in some PVA glue, swished it around in the hole and then placed the pin in because the drying time is much slower. It's just not meant to take the rougher abuses of modeling after being put on (if you look closely you'll see I need to reinsert one of the bastards). I'm also going to file down the treads on the bottom of the boot, that was just a test. If this all comes together I'm going to name this first Marine Brother Richard, after one of our favourite local modeling gurus.

And since this post is devoid of pretty pictures, here's my dog.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/onemetricsecond/Project%20Log/pookums.jpg

Please let me know how I'm doing, and thanks for looking!

- Vee

Light of the Emperor
04-02-2007, 01:53
I'm liking that guy. He looks like he has the pose from that picture in the IA article...the one with the veteran assault marine slicing through a warlock with twin lightning claws!

A tip for the pins: put some greenstuff in the holes. It'll help hold them and allow the glue to set.

Ooh, nice chow chow (or at least thats what I think it is). From this point of view it looks like a furry cave squig with two small feet!

Kaleb79
06-02-2007, 19:15
hey! seeing as you are so good at conversions how about doing one on your dog?!

something like this perhaps:

http://www.mandm.ws/FunPhotos/AngryCat1.jpg

Arhalien
06-02-2007, 19:20
What the hell! That pic can;t be real, who;d do that to a cat?

Guilliman
06-02-2007, 19:36
A friend of mine was making a White Scars army and wanted 100% beaky helmets. He made a green stuff mould with very good results.

srsmith
06-02-2007, 21:10
That pose is awesome... I think it is more on the lines of a lunging dive. It has great possibilities for a battle diarama. That would lookawesome with a sword slicing through some random enemy and a gun of some sort blasting away at another any leaping towards him. Damn it I just gave my sweet idea away.

Chaos Lord Primus
06-02-2007, 23:35
Y'know, I looked at those legs and torso and my first thought was "Somebody's gonna get kicked in the head..."

Have you considered modelling a wounded enemy trooper in front of those legs in such a way that the leg looks like it will connect with the enemy's head?

Because that would look brutal and bad ass.

Good work so far.

liamrob
07-02-2007, 23:10
I'd make a sort of diorama. Hes running down a pile of rubble of somesort about to jump and crush the enemy. Something like that. I tryed Dicky's plasma gunner holding the gun as far away as possible. I got a pretty good result. Next up you should try a reloading dude like i am :p

How do you cut away the feet or did you remodel the foot extensively i guess.

Sweet thanks bodhi for the tips. I found a vaseline jar in my bathroom. Unopened to so its fresh. Ok you might of seen my sculpt, it turned out well i guess.

()MG how'd you get a pic of my cat. We got a stalker on the loose (joking)
Who would do something like that to a cat. Poor thing :p

CYA!

BodhiTree
08-02-2007, 03:43
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I honestly think for what I've had to show so far this log doesn't deserve half the attention it gets.

I'm liking that guy. He looks like he has the pose from that picture in the IA article...the one with the veteran assault marine slicing through a warlock with twin lightning claws!

A tip for the pins: put some greenstuff in the holes. It'll help hold them and allow the glue to set.

Ooh, nice chow chow (or at least thats what I think it is). From this point of view it looks like a furry cave squig with two small feet! Thanks! That's a pretty good idea on the holes, I think I'll try that next time. Also, I sometimes call Magnum 'Squiggy' for that very reason!

@ Kaleb79 - That picture scared the hell out of me.

A friend of mine was making a White Scars army and wanted 100% beaky helmets. He made a green stuff mould with very good results. I tried making a mould, and I failed beautifully. I figure I can make more than one type of Corvus helmet, though. Shrike himself is not wearing the regular kind of helmet you get off the sprue. Despite it having a beak it still has the top-side vent found on Mk.7 helmets. I want to do a couple that have vents found on the helmet of the Company Champion, little round holes for vents instead of grilles.

That pose is awesome... I think it is more on the lines of a lunging dive. It has great possibilities for a battle diarama. That would lookawesome with a sword slicing through some random enemy and a gun of some sort blasting away at another any leaping towards him. Damn it I just gave my sweet idea away. Haha. Thanks, and seriously, do it up! I don't think I'm going to make him too wild as he's my first real try at it. That and I still have to paint the bugger. I think when I do the Veteran Sergeants and Shrike's Wing, though, I will do what I can with dynamic posing to make my opponent want to shoot them as soon as possible.

Y'know, I looked at those legs and torso and my first thought was "Somebody's gonna get kicked in the head..."

Have you considered modelling a wounded enemy trooper in front of those legs in such a way that the leg looks like it will connect with the enemy's head?

Because that would look brutal and bad ass.

Good work so far. Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll model anything special for their bases yet. I've made up some city-fight-ish bases for them. Although, since this pose seems to have worked so far I may get more inventive as time goes on.

I want to try to make the next Assault Marine swooping in with his legs pulled up a bit and angled as if he's using his greaves as a shield while he comes in for a landing on his prey. I'm also going to try to model a Marine who's been wounded and is still propping up his torso with an arm while firing his bolter with the other. I think there are a few examples in those Crimson Fist 'last-stand' images. He'll probably go into a Devastator Squad.

I'd make a sort of diorama. Hes running down a pile of rubble of somesort about to jump and crush the enemy. Something like that. I tryed Dicky's plasma gunner holding the gun as far away as possible. I got a pretty good result. Next up you should try a reloading dude like i am :p

How do you cut away the feet or did you remodel the foot extensively i guess.

Sweet thanks bodhi for the tips. I found a vaseline jar in my bathroom. Unopened to so its fresh. Ok you might of seen my sculpt, it turned out well i guess.
I cut off the foot entirely, I think in a couple places as well, and just gap-filled with GS. I then religiously use files to bring every piece in line with the plastic it meets. Don't over-do the vaseline, I might have been misleading in my earlier post, I do use a bit of water while I work, otherwise everything would become a well-lubricated mess.

As for my plans:

Since posting that picture I ripped off and redid the chest cabling, it looks much better. I also ripped off the treads on the foot because I wasn't happy with it. I only want the best I can possibly do on my miniatures, I know I can do better than that.

On the justification for the posing of my guys:

I wanted to make the Assault Marines kind of wild and daring, because, to my knowledge, no other Astartes Chapter seems to match the Raven Guard in use of Jump-Packs - except for perhaps their successors and the Blood Angels. I guess you could also chuck the Night Lords in there too.

The thing is, I remember someone stating that it wasn't true to the background to give RG Assault Marines Furious Charge. While that's fair, I'll take my Furious Charge, because dammit, I need something to make up for their lack of resources. If I could give them Hit & Run I'd love to try it out, it would probably be hilarious to use on every Tau and Eldar player I meet. So, how do I justify the Furious Charge? Well, these guys specialize in lightning fast close assaults, which means that they get their work done as quickly as possible. The insane speed at which they strike is the basis for their Furious Charge, and so to represent it properly, I need to model absolute speed onto my Assault Marines - so they have to look faster than everyone else's.

More stuff to come this weekend, I hope. Gotta wrap up a paper on Marx and Rousseau tomorrow.

deathwing_marine
21-02-2007, 07:49
nice project log!

hey if you wanted a real emo chapter, go with the lamenters. their symbol is a bleeding heart in front of checkers :p

the_flash
21-02-2007, 08:41
What did you use for the studs?
Nice work btw, i really like them and their emo look.

brother alinski
06-04-2007, 18:19
keep up the good work cant wait to see them all finished, even if the scout dose take the mic a bit i still like the eye markings, its like war paint.

last_chancer
11-04-2007, 00:43
We need an update, dude!

BodhiTree
11-04-2007, 01:04
Gah! This thread is that ghost in my attic!

Thanks for the comments guys, the studs are just the heads of normal steel pins (I had to shop around for slightly more costly ones that had perfectly round heads). However I won't be using those anymore, as my Ma called me up this morning (what timing!) and told me that she had managed to track down several packages of those brass pins which were used in that Custodes army on the GW website. (Artesania Latina Brass Pins 12mm - they've been discontinued by the company.) Light of the Emperor sent me some too, being the awesome guy that he is. So I will be using those now. I will most likely test them out on a couple Dark Angels before I go wild with them on my Raven Guard.

I gotta say though, the attention that you guys give this project (which seems to be more than I give!) is rather heart-warming. I will not abandon this log, certainly not. It's one of those projects I just have to see through, no matter how painful it might get.

In the meantime, however, the Raven Guard are on hiatus for a couple months (as if they weren't already!), I will come back to this project renewed and a bit more confident after getting Asmodai_Dark to yell at me for our joint project.

I also owe Light of the Emperor a custom RG Commander, which I have not forgotten, and so when I get around to work on that, I will post it here.

I feel bad seeing this log pop up when I have nothing new to post in it, as it robs other users of the time and views which could be invested on more deserving logs, y'know, the kinds with progress, pictures and a certain degree of reliability! So let's put this log on the back-burner for now, as much as I appreciate your words - I still have other logs you can yell at me in. ;)

- Vee

Edit: I think I might just close the thread for now, I forgot I could do that.