PDA

View Full Version : rejigged Empire army in need of final tweaks. Help needed

Kahadras
06-07-2005, 22:53
OK I posted a list up a while ago but instead of resurrecting it I will just post up the redone list as a new army. The fluff of the army is the fact that it is a state troop force so will have the absolute minimum in mercenaries and other riff raff. So no Free company, Flagellants, Dogs of War etc. So onto the list...

Elector count + armour of meteoric iron, holy relic and van horstmanns speculum = 180p

Captain + lance, barded warhorse, shield and full plate armour = 78p

Captain + great weapon, full plate armour, shield and pegasus = 114p

Wizard + 2 dispell scrolls = 110p

23 Swordsmen + FC (and Elector count) = 186p
+ 8 Halbardiers = 48p

24 Swordsmen + FC and Griffon Banner = 243p
+ 8 Halbardiers = 48p

7 Knights of the Inner circle + FC and Warbanner (and Captain) = 247p

6 Pistoliers = 114p

10 Handgunners = 80p

10 Handgunners = 80p

2 Cannon = 200p

1 Mortar = 75p

1 Hellblaster volley gun = 125p

8 Huntsmen + marksman = 70p

The basic plan for the army is to hold its ground and pound the enemy with shot and shell as it advances towards it. The huntsmen will march block aided by the Captain on Pegasus (who will also go after warmachines and vunerable characters/units). The two infantry units will hold the center while the Hellblaster volley gun, handgunners and pistoliers will protect the flanks. The knights will be used to crush any remaining oppersition or smash a particularly tough unit. So thoughts would be welcome.

Kahadras

leeoaks
06-07-2005, 23:09
looks quite solid...fluff wise wheres the engineer?

samw
07-07-2005, 00:22
I'm not crazy about van-horstmann's on an elector count, he's just not bad enough stat-wise to get full use out of it I feel. I'd rather give a repeater handgun wielding champion to the pistolier unit, more likely to do you good I think. Speaking of which, you considered giving your pegasus captain a pistol? it's good for irritating your opponent while you stop him marching, and make sure those annoying wizards stay in their units.

Kahadras
07-07-2005, 00:31
I'm not crazy about van-horstmann's on an elector count, he's just not bad enough stat-wise to get full use out of it I feel.

I am trying it on a more defencive theory. I am hoping to limit the ammount of attacks (and strength of those attacks) that the Elector count is going to take (3 at strength 4). This should mean that he should survive the game. I was thinking that the pistol may be a good idea but is it worth the ten points?

Kahadras

Ozorik
07-07-2005, 07:10
The huntsmen actually cost 87 points.

Its fairly similar to my own list although mine is less shooty and more fighty/mobile.

I dont like Van Horstmanns on the count either, I was toying with giving it to a lvl 1 wizard.

Actually the pistol on the pegasus mounted captain sounds like a good idea, hes a good enough shot that he should get a couple of casualties with it while blocking march moves.

Punk_in_Drublic
07-07-2005, 08:16
I I'd rather give a repeater handgun wielding champion to the pistolier unit, more likely to do you good I think.

I second this

Later,

-Punk

Knight Panther
07-07-2005, 22:45
I'm not crazy about van-horstmann's on an elector count, he's just not bad enough stat-wise to get full use out of it I feel.

I dont like Van Horstmanns on the count either, I was toying with giving it to a lvl 1 wizard.

Neither do I... I would advise replace it with something else or giving it to a weaker character...

Kahadras
08-07-2005, 23:29
OK I rejigged the rejigged list to make it a 'pure' state troop army. No mercenaries or support troops at all. I also decided to remove the Hellblaster as well as it is probably not reliable enough in the Elector count's eyes to feature in his forces (better left to more desperate times or to the engineers of Nuln. I have also take other peoples advice into account.

Elector count + Armour of Meteoric Iron and Holy Relic = 155p

With a 1+ save and a 4+ ward save he should be able to survive for the whole game and lend his high leadership to the majority of the army. He will go after the rank and file of the enemy unit in order to try to swing the combat resolution firmly in favour of the unit he is with.

Captain + Pegasus, great weapon, full plate and shield = 114p

Trouble shooter. He can move quickly in order to supress problems such as small skirmishing units infiltraiting behind my battleline, hunt down exposed mages and warmachine crew. In addition he can march block and generaly make a nusance of himself. The more resources my opponant wastes to get rid of him the better as they won't be focused on my battleline.

Captain + full plate, lance, shield and barded warhorse = 78p

Cheap and cheerful. Goes with the Knights of the Inner circle to boost the units fighting capacity. His three attacks combined with the Warbanner should give the unit a much better chance of breaking the enemy unit on the charge.

Wizard + 2 Dispell scroll = 110p

Scroll caddy. Boring I know but he is there to do a job and that is to stop my opponant getting his most dangerous spells off. He'll probably skulk around in the middle of my battleline somewhere; probably behind a detachment.

23 Swordsmen + FC (and Elector count) = 186p
+ 8 Halbadiers = 48p

24 Swordsmen + FC and Griffon banner = 243p
+ 8 Halbardiers = 48p

This is the main 'meat' of my battleline as it were. These two units with their supporting detachments are going to be set up directly in the center of my line and will be expected to take everything my opponant can throw at them. The second unit has the Griffon banner (a little cheesy) to boost its prowess as it is unlikly to rack up much of a kill count with the lack of characters in the front line.

7 Knights of the Inner circle + FC and Warbanner (and Captain) = 245p

8 Knights + FC = 224p

These two knight units will hopefully set up to defend the flanks of my center block of infantry. Their job will be to drive a wedge into my opponants battleline (I will weaken the units they will face with cannon and mortar fire). They will aim to break through the batleline and wheel in on the units which will be engaging my infantry.

10 Handgunners = 80p

10 Handgunners = 80p

These units will be deployed on the far right and left of my battleline to protect the flanks of my knight units. They will have to shoot down any flanking units and prevent them from tying up my cavalry.

5 Pistoliers = 95p

This will be my second troubleshooting unit. They (with the Captain on Pegasus) will be setup last to counter my opponant if he tries to load a flank after he sees my basic deployment. Both they and the Captain will then obviously deploy to counter this threat.

2 Cannon = 200p

1 Mortar = 75p

Artillery. Long ranged support. Beats up any scary looking units/monsters before they can get anywhere near my lines.

The basic plan (subject to change if my opponant does not cooperate) is to let my opponant come to me. If he stays put my cannon and mortar fire will hopefully batter him before I advance. I would prefer to play defencivly though to maximise the shooting damage I can do to his army. Hopefully I can hold the center and the flanks with my infantry while my cavalry punches through his lines forming an M shape. My maneuverable element will hopefully keep my opponants flanks busy while I crush his center with the hammer of my Knights and the anvil of my Swordsmen.

So is the list a bit better now? I will paint it up to be Reikland with the knight units being Reiksguard.

Kahadras

samw
09-07-2005, 00:10
I tend to find six knights in one rank often work better than eight knights in two. Remember you need only lose one knight and the unit becomes too weak in that formation to break a lot of things. The tooled up one is okay but I would consider switching to this formation with the regular knight unit. I'd also give the pegasus captain a lance over a great weapon, but then I'm a bretonnian at heart so I'm biased! :p

P.S. classify the handgunners as detachments, that way they won't cause panic checks if they are wiped out or flee.

Punk_in_Drublic
09-07-2005, 20:41
Problem with having handgunners as detachments, is that they have to deploy within 3" of parent unit.

Later,

-Punk

Cheesejoff
10-07-2005, 10:33
I would suggest using handgunners as detachments. Although they have to deploy close, you just put your swordmen near where you want to deploy the gunners, then move the swordsmen into position. Also, they don't cause panic when wiped out or fleeing, they can stand and shoot for the parent unit, they can be in a unit of 5, it's generally better for them to be detached.

Apart from that, the list looks fine.

Kahadras
10-07-2005, 11:35
I would suggest using handgunners as detachments.

That does mean an awful lot of maneuvering as I want my handgunnners on the wings of my army to deal with and flanking units. Setting them up as detachments would be a bad idea as it will suck even more of my strength into the center. I want my firepower to focus on the wings of my opponants army, forcing him to attack up the center into the strong point of my lines.

Kahadras

PS Thenks for the comments though all of them will be adressed in the redraft.

Steve_VanCity
10-07-2005, 22:28
First, as much as i love the VHS, i think that it could be put to better use on the captain in the knight unit. He will be more mobile, and will be able to use it more often (hopefully). Well, overall i think that it is a pretty solid list, i would however take out the captain on a pegasus, as he can march block, go wizard hunting, take out warmachines etc... but your cannons can already accomplish two of those aspects, and the huntsmen the third, so i think that he does not add anything new to the list. If you really want something to kill lone characters etc... just upgrade a couple handgunners to have HLR.

Kahadras
11-07-2005, 01:01
would however take out the captain on a pegasus, as he can march block, go wizard hunting, take out warmachines etc... but your cannons can already accomplish two of those aspects, and the huntsmen the third,

Sorry but under the second ed of my army (bottom of page one) I dropped the huntsmen in favor of having a pure state troop army (for fluff reasons) so the Captain is now the marchblocker for the army. Plus I think it is a bit dirty to aim cannons at single minatures (unless they are big, scary minatures with sharp teeth and wings) so generaly won't be doing it on principle. He can also work as backup for the artillery if they fail to take out my opponants warmachines. I would also like to have the flexibilty of the 20 inch move which can get me from trouble spot to trouble spot quickly and makes him very hard to catch. All this for just over 100 points is a worthwhile investment IMHO.
His flexibility makes up for the fact that he is a bit fragile and can end up walking if the Pegasus goes down.

Kahadras