PDA

View Full Version : Painting Challenge: 1,500 pts of Tyranids in 2 Weeks

firestorm40k
26-11-2006, 15:51
Hello, it's been a while since I've posted any miniatures on Warseer, but I thought I'd thrust my way back in to the painting fold with this little project.

Basically, I had a bit of a renaissance of 'fun' 40k gaming this summer when my fiancee's son & daughter wanted to start 40k armies (Space Marines & Sisters of Battle respectively). Having spent the last few years attempting to make & paint the 'perfect' 40k army (to my mind, the right balance of theme/background, playability, characterful converting and decent paiting), and having failed in every attempt (I haven't finished a 40k army since 2002! :eek: ), just being able to play a few games for fun was a breath of fresh air.

Seeing as I've two new armies to play against :D I decided to make a 'quick' army to play against them - and I decided on Tyranids. So purchasing 2 Battleforce Sets and the 'Nids from the Battle for Macragge set, I set about constructing a compact (if that's the right term for 'Nids, ha!) 1,500 point army. The only thing I haven't used are the 'Stealers from both Battleforces which I'm holding back for a future Space Hulk themed project...

Anyway, to reinforce that this was always going to be a 'quick' army, I've set myself this painting challenge:

Painting this 1,500 point Tyranid army in 2 weeks.

I start tomorrow evening, this week I'm focussing upon the 'Gaunts (the bulk of the army). Here's the to do list:

16x Spine Gaunts
16x Hormaguants
10x Termagants
6x 'Stealers
6x Warriors (2 Broods)
6x Spore Mines (2 Clusters)
2x Carnifexes

They've been assembled very basically, using only bits from the box, apart from the 'Fexes which have had slight conversions to protray their being fully tooled up. I'll post pics of these later in the week.

Anyway, here's a group pic (minus the 'Stealers, which I'd just primed and didn't want to handle, ha!)

I'll post more pics when I've started painting. Right, tea's ready, gotta go!

Astador
26-11-2006, 16:36
Good luck mate, maybe this will inspire me to start my Tyranids soon!

spikyjames
26-11-2006, 16:56
good luck mate, what colours you gonna be doing them?

james

firestorm40k
26-11-2006, 17:01
Mostly green, with a bit of yellow... you'll se what I mean when I've painted a few, ha! :D

BodhiTree
26-11-2006, 22:19
I don't remember the last time I saw 'Nids in that colour combination. Good luck, sir. I will be watching this closely, I always love it when people set deadlines. :)

(I'd probably get more done if I did that too... *grumble*...)

Pekel
27-11-2006, 03:09
Green (http://www.freewebs.com/broodlord/nids1500.jpg) and yellow (http://www.freewebs.com/broodlord/desert.jpg).

I'd like to see how you handle the colors. I plan on repainting mine someday with a slightly different scheme.

Voronwe[MQ]
27-11-2006, 07:03
Good luck, though two weeks? That sounds as a slightly crazily short time-span.

firestorm40k
27-11-2006, 07:53
;1102959']Good luck, though two weeks? That sounds as a slightly crazily short time-span.

Well, it's to go with the whole ethos that this is a 'quick' army - quick to make, as minimal amount of time as possible painting it. Also it helps keep me focussed and disciplined, so I can turn to one of my many other in-complete armies... :D

Pekel, I've started a test miniature and it does indeed look much along the lines of your army. I'm using a mix of Dark Green Ink, Goblin Green Paint and a dash of Brown Ink as the base wash. The Chittin I'll paint a mix of yellow & green.

I'll try and get some pics up tonight of what I'm doing.

Easy E
27-11-2006, 08:34
Thought about dipping?

firestorm40k
27-11-2006, 10:56
Hmm, that could work, but I'm not sure I've got the facilities... Still, it only takes a couple of minutes to give a Gaunt a wash of my green mix - even if there are nearly 40 of them... :D

A7X
27-11-2006, 15:23
wooo Nids, the army i love but will never touch! :D

colourscheme sounds nice

firestorm40k
27-11-2006, 18:56
Okay, firstly I've done the base coat on the Test Gaunt. I did this last night, firstly giving it a wash of 50% Goblin Green, 25% Water + Washing Up liquid, plus Dark Green Ink and a couple of drops of Brown Ink. When that had dried I added another wash, 2 parts Dark Green Ink to 1 part Brown Ink.

So tonight I proceeded to apply the first stage of washing to the rest of the Gaunts, the Spore Mines and the 'Stealers. Cue pic of my embarrasingly untidy work space: :D

And of the Hormaguants & 'Stealers. As you can see, there's just the big beasties to do after the littel gribblies...

Tomorrow I'll do the second wash, then I'll highlight the following night: Goblin Green/Rotting Flesh mix on the skin, Gobbo Green/Rotting Flesh/Yellow mix on the Chittin.

So that's only 54 miniatures to do... :eek:

The boyz
27-11-2006, 19:00
Nice start Firestorm40k. Looking good so far, cant wait for more updates. good luck.

Voronwe[MQ]
27-11-2006, 19:25
Looking good, though they reminds me of locusts for some reason. :evilgrin:

firestorm40k
28-11-2006, 06:50
Locusts, cool - isn't that entirely appropriate for Tyranids? ;) :D

Voronwe[MQ]
28-11-2006, 15:50
Locusts, cool - isn't that entirely appropriate for Tyranids? ;) :D

That's what I meant. :D Completely approriate.

philbrad2
28-11-2006, 17:49
Good luck, must say I do like the green schemed Nids and having painted 3000+ points of the little buggers for my Nid army (and the GW Dark Stars event in May) its a major undertaking even 1500pts is a lot of bugs.

PhilB
:chrome:

firestorm40k
28-11-2006, 19:46
Thanks everyone for words of encouragement! :)

Today I gave all the minis I started yesterday their second ink wash (Dark Green/Brown mix). Rather than showing boring pictures the same as last night :p I thought I'd post some pics of my slightly modified 'Fexes. I made this one first, modifying the head to represent the Tusked upgrade & Regenerate ability. I think I could have smoothed some of the edges where the two parts meet better, but I wanted to do this army as quickly as possible:

This is the second one I made, I embellished the base slightly with an Imperial Guard officer 'victim' :evilgrin: and I made some holes in the rib-cage to represent the Regenerate ability. If I'd had wanted to spend more time on it (and had thought about it first) I'd have sculpted some organs poking through these holes. Anyway, I'm more pleased with how the tusks fit to this one, better than the first:

Tomorrow I'm going to start on the Carapace/chittin; I'm not sure about dry brushing over the main part of the body as I think the shading is okay as it is. Pics to follow, when I start!

ryfitz13
28-11-2006, 20:08
Wow - those guys look pretty promising after only their first wash. I look forward to seeing the result, and I'm definitely impressed with your rapid progress thus far!

firestorm40k
30-11-2006, 07:28
Right, last night I dry-brushed ALL of the ink-washed 'Nids with Rotting Flesh, then I started on the carapace of some of them.

I applied some Goblin Green washed down with 1/4 Yellow Ink, followed by the same mixture but with some Golden Yellow. I found that if I brushed from the edge of the carapace back the effect was most pleasing.

Here they are; I'll do a few more goes at their carapace, building up the yellow because at the moment the carapace doesn't stand out too much from the rest of the miniature.

Tonight I'll carry on doing the same, more pics tonight or tomorrow morning.

spikedog
30-11-2006, 09:28
Very nice nids you have there, the scheme is simple yet striking.

They look very organic. I look forward to seeing what it looks like on the larger beasties.

Keep up the good work!

firestorm40k
01-12-2006, 08:00
Work continues - last night I started the carapaces on the remaining Spine Gaunts, the Spore Mines, Termagants, and half the Genestealers.

Cue another pic of my untidy work space, ha! :D

Tonight: the remaining 'Stealers and the Hormaguants. Hopefully I'll get the little 'Nids done for Monday-Tuesday, then next week I can focus on the big 'uns.

I still feel confident I'll get this army done one time, providing nothing untoward happens... :confused:

firestorm40k
02-12-2006, 10:19
Right, last night I did the Carapace on the remaining little grib's :) and started the bases on the Termagants.

I then went to bed, and everytime I closed my eyes I saw shaeds of Green blending in to shades of Yellow... :wtf:

So be warned, fellow Warseers, speed painting projects can make you see things, and possibly damage your sanity :D ;)

Still, my target is to get all the little ones done by Monday, to start the Warriors and the 'Fexes on Tuesday. Fingers crossed...

Arcane_Blade
03-12-2006, 13:43
Any updates?

Great work so far.:)

firestorm40k
03-12-2006, 17:46
Work is still progressing, Arcane_Blade, but not of the particularly exciting pictorally-worthy sort! :D Last night I started the bases on more of the 'Nids, I have 3 spore mines and 16 Spine Guants to do. I'd hoped to get all these done by the end of tomorrow evening so I could start the bigger ones on Tuesday, but I don't think that's going to happen - it didn't help that today I couldn't prime them 'cause it's been blowing a gale here...

firestorm40k
05-12-2006, 07:49
Work continues, last night I painted the scything talons, claws and teeth on all 16 Hormagaunts. Then I had mega-painting fatigue! :rolleyes:

I had hoped that I'd have finished all of the smaller 'Nids by last night so I could concentrate on the big ones this week :(

However, this isn't all bad as whilst I wait for washes and the such to dry, I can be finishing things like Gaunts etc.

Now all I need is for the rain to stop and the wind to settle this afternoon so I can prime the big 'Nids... (fingers crossed!)

SpinO
05-12-2006, 12:08
Those are very nice Tyranids, Firestorm. I like that you have placed the Adrenal glands on the bellies of the Hormagaunts. Very unconventional, and I like it a lot!

firestorm40k
05-12-2006, 15:09
Thanks, SpinO! To be honest, it was the only place I could fit them :p :) my Fexes' glands are at the top of their tails, under their bellies! :D

firestorm40k
06-12-2006, 07:50
Now all I need is for the rain to stop and the wind to settle this afternoon so I can prime the big 'Nids... (fingers crossed!)

...so naturally, yesterday afternoon as soon as I finished work, the heavens opened and the winds stepped up to gale strength :mad: :( :cries:

Anyway, I got more done on the little 'Nids: I did the Claws, hooves and teeth on the 'Stealers, Termagants, and 6 of the Spinegaunts. Painting fatigue was setting in, so I switched to finishing off the spore mines. So here's 5 finished spore mines! Couldn't do the sixth 'cause the touch up to the base colour was still wet, and it was time for bed anyway... :eyebrows:

So tonight it'll be more work on the Spinegaunts, and more praying that the rain will clear and I can prime the Warriors and 'Fexes...

firestorm40k
08-12-2006, 07:40
Update time: I've spent the last couple of evenings chipping away at the 'Stealers & the Gaunts, and I am proud to present my first finished units for this army: the 'Stealers, 2 Spore Mine clusters - and half of the 'Gaunts; the other 5 just need the bases dry-brushing, and they're done.

Rather frustratingly, though, I've been unable to start on the Warriors or 'Fexes, as the local weather has been reliably bad (i.e. relentless rain and strong wind) so I've not been able to get out and prime them. It looks nice today so I might get out this evening and do it - if the weather holds..!

Codsticker
08-12-2006, 14:47
By my count 2 weeks from Nov. 26th. takes us to Dec. 10th.. So the big question is: how is it coming with two days to go? :D

firestorm40k
08-12-2006, 15:48
I'm working from the Monday evening I started to this Monday evening; not stricly two weeks in the 14days sense :D so if I'm to acheive my target I'll have to finish it all by the end of Monday night! :eek:

With the Spinegaunts & the Hormaguants (all 32 of them!!!) to finish, plus the Warriors and 'Fexes (which I STILL haven't primed - typical weather: sun-shining all-day, I finish work and the rain starts again :rolleyes: ), it'll be a very close thing...

firestorm40k
09-12-2006, 09:52
Right, last night I did the bases on the remaining 5 Termagants, and finished the details (tongues/toxin-sacs/eyes) in the Spinegaunts; I'll do their bases tonight...

And with no small amount of relief on my part, I can announce the sun is out today so I can get out and prime the remining 'Nids! :D

I think if I can finish all 32 Gaunts by tomorrow evening, get the base colour washes done on the Warriors and 'Fexes by then too, then I'lll be in with a decent shout at getting this army done by my targetted time...

Arcane_Blade
09-12-2006, 13:07
Well, good luck with all that! At least you can finally prime those big 'uns. Great work so far, here's hoping you reach that target... :D

Easy E
09-12-2006, 14:09
If it should happen to rain again, you can try a painting box. It's really just a fancy name for a box that you can spray in an d the spray won't go everywhere. As always, be sure you are working in a well ventilated area.

I often use this technique in my garage with the main door open. Plenty of ventilation and you stay dry.

Keep up the great progress on your army. It is so rare that people hit their target goals for painting. I think you deserve a pat on the back when it's done.

firestorm40k
09-12-2006, 16:00
Thanks lads! :) Well, the big 'uns are now primed and have at least had their first paint/ink wash! The Warriors have had the Green/Brown wash applied, just waiting for the 1st wash to dry on the 'Fexes, then I'll ink them.

As well as that I'll finish detailing on the Hormagaunts: tongues, venom sacs etc. I need to do the bases on all 32 'Gaunts, but I think I'll save them for an evening of mad base dry-brushing...

Pics to come this evening! :cool:

firestorm40k
09-12-2006, 20:30
...and after 90 minutes of Gaunt detailing and 'Fex inking, here are the pics.

Firstly, here are the Termagants - another finished squad :cool:

Then, here's the Warriors; note that the Warrior on the front-right is slightly darker than the others. Well, I ran out of my Brown/Green Ink wash, and needed more Brown Ink. I went to get more, unfortunately when I got back I discovered I'd been using FLESH WASH, not BROWN INK which I bought... clearly there's a difference, hence the darker wash :rolleyes:

Then here's the 'Fexes, ink still wet...

So I've the bases to do on all 32 'Gaunts, highlights on the Warriors & 'Fexes, as well as their talons, and other detailing. The next couple of evenings are going to see a lot (and I mean A LOT) of drybrushing... :p

firestorm40k
11-12-2006, 08:22
Okay, I've hit deadline day, and the major revelation is:

I'm not going to make my target. :( :rolleyes:

However, I intend to bust a gut tonight and get the majority of the work done on the two 'Fexes, having done so on the Warriors. Here they are, apart from some additional highlighting on their Carapace and the bases painted (clearly! :D ):

That means if I get all that done tonight then I'm just shy of my deadline by the bases - which I suppose isn't too bad; that'll only be a couple of evenings work at most.

I think I could have had everything done within the deadline if I had more time on my hands (average painting time for this army: 90 minutes per day), but I feel getting as much done as I have is an achievement, seeing as it's been so long since I've managed to FINISH a 40k army...

Anyway, pics of the 'Fexes will be uploaded tomorrow, and pics of the finished army will be up by the weekend. Thanks for looking!

Codsticker
11-12-2006, 16:41
That means if I get all that done tonight then I'm just shy of my deadline by the bases - which I suppose isn't too bad; that'll only be a couple of evenings work at most.

Well done! To miss your deadline by just having to do the bases is still impressive.

firestorm40k
12-12-2006, 07:38
To miss your deadline by just having to do the bases is still impressive.

...Erm, well almost... :rolleyes: The 'Fexes took longer than anticipated - I only managed to get the detailing finished on one, although I'd done the carapace & scythes on both. Here's the most complete one:

I'll do the detaling on the second one tonight, plus the additional Carapace highlighting on both. THEN it'll be the bases.

I should have called this a 2 and a half week painting challenge :p :D

liamrob
12-12-2006, 08:00
I've always liked Tyranids since the new ones came out. So i guess i love these minis =p

Keep up the hard work. I love the colour scheme to.

Inquisitor Konig
12-12-2006, 08:33
getting close...getting close... cant wait to see em all done!

firestorm40k
13-12-2006, 08:40
Thanks for your words of encouragement! :)

No pics this morning I'm afraid, but I finished the detailing on both 'Fexes, made a start on their bases... Tonight, and most likely tomorrow night, will be Dry-brush-tastic, as I have a lot of bases to do... :rolleyes: :D

firestorm40k
14-12-2006, 07:19
As promised, pictures (well, A picture) this morning: 2 'Fexes, details done, in need of their bases doing (I can still see gaps in the base coat, grr! :mad: )

I also painted the bases on the Warriors, and started the Big Drybrush, doing 9 Spinegaunts and 7 Hormagaunts. Thankfully it was time for bed then, as that was quite tedious and painting fatigue was setting in!

Tonight will see lots of base dry brushing :rolleyes: but, dare I say it out loud:

I might actually finish this army tonight...

I hope I can, as I'm off out Friday night for a few drinks with some lads from works, and that'll feel even more well deserved if I do! :D

firestorm40k
15-12-2006, 09:03
Tonight will see lots of base dry brushing :rolleyes: but, dare I say it out loud:

I might actually finish this army tonight...

Ha! Famous last words... :rolleyes:

My undoing was my decision to embellish some of the bases with 'battlefield detritus', which need extra painting and so slow the whole base-finishing process down...

Still, the actual Tyranid miniatures themselves are painted, it's just the bases which are holding up the army from being painted.

Tonight I'm out, so the bases will have to wait till the weekend.. when I hope I can post pics of the whole finished army! I hope... :confused:

Codsticker
15-12-2006, 13:18
My undoing was my decision to embellish some of the bases with 'battlefield detritus', which need extra painting and so slow the whole base-finishing process down...

:p Yeah, see you can't go indulging in that kind of extravagant time-wasting when you have such a tight deadline. ;)

firestorm40k
17-12-2006, 14:41
Don't I know it, Codsticker! :D

Anyway, I am pleased to annouce that this army is now finished. Huzzah! :)

Here's a pic of the completed army, the last I was able to take before my Batteries ran out :rolleyes:

After an entire evening of dry-brushing, the final obstacle - their bases - were finished. Now, I may at some point varnish them, perhaps add some flock to the bases, but that's it for now.

All they need are some Space Marines to munch on!

Now, I have a whole evening's break from painting before starting on my next endeavour (UW Syntha)... :D

I'll try and take some better pictures later this week. But for the time being, that's it for this army. Many thanks for all the messages of support; doing a speed-painted army can be a bit of a slog, but if like me you find it difficult to finish an army normally, then I recommend this challenge!

Jigsaw
17-12-2006, 14:52
I really like the green paint, how did u do it??

rardiv
17-12-2006, 21:45
Wow, that's really impressive!

Good luck with munching on those space marines :D

Slaaneshi Slave
17-12-2006, 21:57
Two weeks for a whole army? How I envy you! It takes me that long to do each figure!

Codsticker
18-12-2006, 00:48
Well done! The army looks awesome!

Oh-no-no-no
18-12-2006, 01:53
My first post ever to say that these look awesome especially for such a short time painting them... it has inspired me to go pick up the tyranid box (just one though to start:P) and see if I cant get it painted in a month in similar fashion:)

Reflex
18-12-2006, 02:08
hahah the tyranid challange.. i like it

Easy E
18-12-2006, 06:14
Congrats, you've done what many people on this board have tried to do and they often failed. You should be proud.

firestorm40k
18-12-2006, 08:10
Thank you all for your comments/feedback!

I really like the green paint, how did u do it??

Firstly, I applied a wash of 15% water (with a drop of washing up liquid), 50% Goblin Green paint, 20% Green Ink & a few drops of Brown Ink or Flesh Wash.

After this had dried I applied a watered down mix of Green Ink and Brown Ink/Flesh Wash (it's darker if you use Brown Ink).

The carapace is a 75/25 mix of Goblin Green & Yellow ink, and whilst that is still wet add successive highlights of Golden Yellow gradually. I brushed back from the edge of the carapace, doing this in two stages; the second I started with Yellow and a touch of Green, building up till it's nearly entirely Yellow.

That's how you get Lemon & Lime 'Nids :D

Two weeks for a whole army? How I envy you! It takes me that long to do each figure!

Lol! :p That's my usual work rate, which is why I undertook this painting challenge.

My first post ever to say that these look awesome especially for such a short time painting them... it has inspired me to go pick up the tyranid box (just one though to start:P) and see if I cant get it painted in a month in similar fashion:)

Go for it! I'd recommend a speed painting challenge to anyone. Using simple techniques it's not that difficult to get good, gaming standard results, as well as a new army to play with in a realistic time-frame.

Congrats, you've done what many people on this board have tried to do and they often failed. You should be proud.

Thanks! I did go over my original target, perhaps I was a little unrealistic, but had I done this in my student days I probably could have done it in a week! ;)

Bluesabre
18-12-2006, 08:38
Well done, they look great.

Look forward to seeing some of your syntha as well in the future.

max the dog
22-12-2006, 03:57
Green!!!! I love it. It's perfect for a jungle world battlefield.

I painted my nids in a basecoat of Lich Purple and lightly drybrushed with Ultramarine Blue. I made it as a night fighting army as I've found that those colors dissapear in low light conditions.

FearFrost
22-12-2006, 03:58
Very, very nice!

Voronwe[MQ]
22-12-2006, 14:29
Nice. That's well done.

Voronwe