PDA

View Full Version : This seems fishy...

Arnizipal
03-04-2005, 13:28
I received this through email:

Dear eBay Community Member,

It has come to our attention that your eBay Billing Information records are out of date.
That requires you to update the Billing Information If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your
billing records, you will not run into any future problems with eBay's online service.
However, failure to update your records will result in soon account termination. Once you have updated your account records, your eBay
session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service
(TOS) violations or future billing problems.

To update and login to your eBay account, click on the link below:

http://cgi4.ebay.com/ws/

Thank you for using eBay!

**This is no-reply message. Please do not reply to this email, as you will receive no response**

Now as far as I recall, I have no eBay subscription and that link doesn't seem to lead to eBay either (not that I clicked it). Is this some devious form of spam?

Cheesejoff
03-04-2005, 13:34
What was the senders email address?

Ethereal Alpaca
03-04-2005, 13:37
You can usually tell by the adress. The link just took me to an eBay "Page not Found" so IMO it's true, but wait to hear what others have to say first, 'cause I don't want someone being scammed because of me...

Delicious Soy
03-04-2005, 13:38
Better to distroy it then run the risk.

Arnizipal
03-04-2005, 14:11
It came from eBay Support. In the mail sent to me it says support@ebay.com, but when I want to reply to it it says aw-cnfrim@ebay.com

Going through my inbox, I noticed I got another of these emails on monday.
I still doubt it's real. And even if it is, I can't recall ever ordering anything from eBay so it's no great loss.

Sgt John Keel
03-04-2005, 14:21
My best guess is on it's fake. There has been a few articles about these kind of e-mails in Swedish computer magazines, and as far as I recall, they do not come from eBay.

/Adrian

nick
03-04-2005, 14:33
This is not real, recently ebay said they would never contact people through e-mail as its impossible to prove who the author was (without pgp etc which most people don't use).

This is someone trying to get your paypal password to clear out your account. Looking at the senders address isn't a way of telling who it was sent by. The reason for this is because its set by the e-mail client of person sending the e-mail, the only useful way of tracking down an e-mail source is the headers but again those can be faked.

Nick

Arnizipal
03-04-2005, 23:35
Thanks for the info Nick.

Can't imagine who would want to raid my ebay account, as I don't have one. I guess they just send these mails out at random.
I better warn my brother, he does have an account there.

Badgobbla
04-04-2005, 09:26
I got the same email halfway through last year and this was right after Ebay did send me an email that someone tried to get personal information from people on Ebay.

I never used the link, so I guess it was fake.

Prince_Tyrion
04-04-2005, 10:13
Thanks for the info Nick.

Can't imagine who would want to raid my ebay account, as I don't have one. I guess they just send these mails out at random.
I better warn my brother, he does have an account there.

I think it's less eBay more Paypal they're interested in, yah know, the one that lets them buy anything from the internet ;)

Crazy Harborc
05-04-2005, 00:37
Scams asking for you to "update" info by giving them a ID number, a credit card number, a password, etc. Way to often, those requests are fake, sent to get info that will allow them(the sender) to access some account(s) or other.

Adept
05-04-2005, 01:44
If you are ever in doubt, check out the eBay site. They have a fraudbusting email address. All you have to do is forward the email to them (without changing it in any way) and they will tell you if it is authentic or not.

Sai-Lauren
05-04-2005, 10:13
Fishy's nearly right - sounds to me like someone's gone phishing.

I'd be very suspicious of mails like that, IMO it's more likely that if they had some kind of problem, companies like e-bay would let people log back in before requesting they check and update their information - they certainly wouldn't broadcast to the world that they've had some data corruption or anything similiar, that's just asking for the loonies to crawl out of the woodwork and try things.

As Adept said, forward it on to e-bay's scam buster address.

Edit: Looking at the original mail again, the whole "no reply" section at the end seems out of place, badly worded and distinctly un-professional.

Hicks
05-04-2005, 16:57
It's a fake, eBay as stated numerous times that they never send these kinds of emails and that they will never ask for personnal information through emails either. I never got that particular one, but I get tons of emails supposedly from hotmail's admins asking for that kind of personnal informations.

DarkSoldier
06-04-2005, 09:59
I get these e-mails repeatedly; I knew right off they were fake because they were coming from "eBay.com" while I'm registered with eBay.ca.