PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Skaven army (vs VCs)

Andyroo
27-11-2006, 10:28
After being annihilated previously against a VC army consisting of Mannfred and his stupid Call Winds, I decided to challenge the guy to a rematch. Going to completely redesign my army, as I feel that trying to out-magic VCs (Necrarch specifically) is a stupid idea. And theres nothing more fluffy than taking the Fellblade to once again teach the silly Corpse-things the power of the Ratmen :D

Clan Skittythe, Minor Clan of the Underempire:

Lords & Heroes

Warlord,
-- Fellblade
-- Hvy Armour, Shield, Talisman of Protection

WL Engineer
-- Full kit, 2 dispel scrolls

WL Engineer
-- Full kit, 1 dispel scroll, warpstone charm (to reroll a silly fellblade test)

Chieftain, BSB
-- Sacred Standard of the Horned Rat (purely for fear immunity)

Core
30 Clanrats, Full command, Ratling gun team
25 Clanrats, Full command, Ratling gun team
25 Slaves, no upgrades x2

Specials
9 Jezzails
40 Plaguemonks, XHWs, Full command, Banner of Burning Hatred

Rares
10 Plague Censer Bearers
Warplightning Cannon

I usually take a Grey Seer on a Bell, but last time, his Vamp Lord just walked up to it and started smacking it. Of course, he rang the bell about 6 times before finally killing it. It was hilarious when the bell rang 13 twice, and his army started disintegrating, but not much else happened.
This time I'm hoping for a very different outcome :)

infernus31
27-11-2006, 10:40
looks good though 40 plague monks always looks like all your eggs in one basket - though they are probably one of the best things against the counts i guess.

Wolf_Pack
27-11-2006, 13:35
I usually take a Grey Seer on a Bell, but last time, his Vamp Lord just walked up to it and started smacking it. Of course, he rang the bell about 6 times before finally killing it. It was hilarious when the bell rang 13 twice, and his army started disintegrating, but not much else happened.
This time I'm hoping for a very different outcome :)

That warlord won't help you much if the vampire catches you with a dance macabre. He will also know immediatly that you have the fellblade, because you must declare what you are rolling for at the beginning of the turn.

To prevent your opponent from reaching your bell easely, slap a unit of slaves right in front of it. This should stop him from simply walking up to it. If it still tries, put a ratling gun behinf it and flee from the charge, and spit some doom afterwards.

Unless you mismatch your plagues monks horribly, 25 should suffice. get more slaves. if you outnumber him, you won't run for fear.

Teach
27-11-2006, 15:15
Some rat ogres are not botherd by fear much. Maybe take 2 units of plaque monks instead of one. Ratswarms are fearless and can holdup a unit of skellies for a turn or two. Good luck

Andyroo
27-11-2006, 16:27
I'm very wary about Vanhel's, and thats one of the main reasons for the scroll caddies. If I keep my wits about where he's moving things, and keep vanhels in mind, I should be able to not worry about him charging too much. I'm still contemplating taking the GS + Bell, as its another unit that's immune to fear, and also grants immunity to his evil banshees. I thought shielding with slaves was a basic tactic... i always do that anyways, was unfortunate that my slaves got preoccupied doing something else and ran off.

One problem I have is that I have to work within the models I have, I would love to take more slaves, but I only have 50. So am a bit limited there.
I was thinking about dropping the Warlord, adding a Grey seer on a bell being pushed by the 25 strong unit. Dropping the plaguemonks down to around the 20-25 mark, and perhaps exchanging a warlock engineer for an assassin with weeping blade/bands of power. That should help me take out annoying characters. I dont really like Rat ogres and ratswarms, not really me :x

Having faced his giant unit of 40 zombies, 30 skellies, 5 spirit host bases, and about 20 grave guard once before, and seen it used against other people many times, I know the ins and outs of his army fairly well. He always takes those units, no matter what or who he is playing, and his tactics are fairly predictable. Was unfortunate that he stopped half my army from firing last time with the Von carstein call winds dealy.

Thx for the comments guys :)

Da Black Gobbo
27-11-2006, 23:22
hi there guys! this skaven army is good but i don't think it could be the best against VC because their magic will hurt you a lot, the rest is very good (9 jezzails wow, and 40 plagemonks damm!!)

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
29-11-2006, 19:32
id say drop the plague monks to two units of 20, and through in some gutter runners. their two attacks apiece can make short work of zombies and skelis when coupled with a combat res unit.
i would be agains the assassin. i play eshin (all NR/assassin army) and i can tell you he wont stand a chance against anything higher than a hero level character.
the grey seer over the warlord seems like a better idea. i use the fellblade on my Master assassin, but that is only cause he charges 14 inches and can be magiced right into combat with whatever i want.
downgrade the # of censer bearers to 8. just for points reasons
then i would get rid of the jezzails and go for another unit of clanrats with a warpfire thrower.:evilgrin:

callum in hat
30-11-2006, 16:36
40 plague monks? in one unit? you are a very brave man(/woman?).
if it works then cool, cos the rest of your army will not bve able to pick up the slack if they die

corben_da
30-11-2006, 18:54
I like that you have huge plaguemonk unit. Im using 2 x 30 plaguemonk units but in 2k army 40 is enough. Fellblade kicks ass and i respect all that can take the risk and take it, expecially against VC ;)

Gimp
01-12-2006, 10:15
The fell blade will kill Manfred dead so its a good idea.