PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pts Sylvanian for tourny

Roman
03-04-2005, 16:20
This army is for a tourny, but also for some fun.

Vampire Lord
Level 3, Great Weapon
Summon Wolves, Wolf Form, Dispel Scroll, Book of Arkhan

Vampire Thrall
Great Weapon, Heavy Armour
Summon Wolves, Wolf Form

Vampire Thrall
Great Weapon, Heavy Armour
Summon Wolves, Wolf Form

19 Sylvanian Levy, Light Armour, Shields, Spears, Full Command
18 Sylvanian Levy, Light Armour, Shields, Spears, Full Command

5 Dire Wolves, Scouts
5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves

Bat Swarm
Bat Swarm

3 Fell Bats

Black Coach
Black Coach

5 Drakenhof Templars, Standard, Hell Knight, Drakenhof Banner

2000 exact

Comments welcome.... even if you think it sux (do tell why though :) )

MVA
03-04-2005, 16:46
Interesting...interesting...

Wolf form seems a little silly for your lord. Considering his best place would be in one of the units of levvy to make sure they can actually keep up with everything else in a timely fashion (magic alone wont guarantee this, and the book isn't too reliable for that role ALL of the time).

You've got no earthbinds, for ten points it's worth taking, at least on the lord. Especially if you want to be charing him out of units (as I'd assume thats what wolf form is for), the magic defesnse for sylvanians is basic-minimal at best.

The templars coule be better suited with one of the thralls joining it on a nightmare. Gives the unit a little more punch to it (and WS3 isn't all that amazingly good).

Everything else looks to be in order though. The levvy looks a little too small, but assuming you don't end up going against a DDoR army (Dispel Dice-O-Rama), that shouldn't be too much of a problem come the end of the first magic phase. Although I'd personally give the levvy halberds myself, no that they'd get used anyways. :p

Akuma
03-04-2005, 17:30
I would scrap batswarms and take more fell bats and you plan on hitting flanks with direwolfes and fron with black coaches - em I right ???

Roman
03-04-2005, 19:49
thx for all the comments :)

Wolf form seems a little silly for your lord. Considering his best place would be in one of the units of levvy to make sure they can actually keep up with everything else in a timely fashion (magic alone wont guarantee this, and the book isn't too reliable for that role ALL of the time). Well, I thought it would be fun to have 3 vampires all capable of charging out of their units if needed..... It could give me some tactical flexibility, but as I've never tested it.... Maybe its better though to swap it for earthbind, I prolly dont want my general charging out anyways...

The templars coule be better suited with one of the thralls joining it on a nightmare. Gives the unit a little more punch to it (and WS3 isn't all that amazingly good).
I like that idea.... but that would mean I'd only have 1 thrall being capable of charging 18". When you only have 1 you lost the element of surprise (Most players are aware of them, but noone has been stupid enough to put 2 or 3 in a list....). A thrall with the knights does sound nice..... downgrade to a count? Dont really like that thought though... (spell less.... pd&dd less.... I'll have to take a ward... more points etc :( )

I would scrap batswarms and take more fell bats and you plan on hitting flanks with direwolfes and fron with black coaches - em I right ???
Well, where the wolves go depends on the situation. If the enemy has artillary they will hunt that down asap.... If they dont they will just wander around I guess doing what any free wolf will do :p

I would like to keep the swarms because I think they can help in protection flanks or even hold up infantry for a turn (never underestimate the power of a single swarmbase :) )

MVA
03-04-2005, 22:43
With Sylvanians, playing with a count wouldn't be too adviseable. It's a difficult balance as you need the magic support that a lord gives, but have to deal with the points/character slot taken up by them.

You could always have the thrall charge in with the black knights, although, this might make him more of a target as he wouldn't have the protection that being on a barded steed provides. Then again, with 3S7, 5S3 and 6S6 (killing blow) hits on the charge, there'd be little that could stand up to it. And get a fight back, at the very least.

Hideous Loon
07-04-2005, 10:40
I, being one of the bloodless ones myself, agree with most of the above posters. One of the Thralls must join the Templar regiment. As it is, he's too vulnerable to missile attacks without the feeling of protection you get from a two-inches-thick suit of heavy armour.

And put more Fell bats into the quarry, and remove the Swarm. They are simply worse, except of course if they're charging into a cheap-ass infantry *cough, Skaven, cough* unit.

MVA
07-04-2005, 11:22
Bat swarms do have their uses though, they're great for tying up giants/shaggoths/Ogres etc, spirit hosts do it a LOT better, but bat swarms are the cheaper (core) alternative.

Black Ambience
07-04-2005, 11:28
Perhaps, but it is a mistake to have two units trying to do fifferent things but doing them poorly because they are under-invested in, rather than one unit that does something very well. In this case, while the Bat Swarms can tie up a unit, they don't have the strength to do so for very long, making them pretty worthless really. I'd agree on dropping the Bat Swarms to get more Fell Bats so you can hunt things "properly"! with them.

Stouty
07-04-2005, 14:57
Perhaps, but it is a mistake to have two units trying to do fifferent things but doing them poorly because they are under-invested in, rather than one unit that does something very well. In this case, while the Bat Swarms can tie up a unit, they don't have the strength to do so for very long, making them pretty worthless really. I'd agree on dropping the Bat Swarms to get more Fell Bats so you can hunt things "properly"! with them.

Unit strength,unit strength! :eek: For heaven's sake they're swarms, not carting about combat res. is why they're worth taking.Theyre not undead either so they don't crumble :p :D

taer
07-04-2005, 15:05
Keep in mind however that the Drakenhoff Templars are rare choices (the mounted ones at least. The ones on foot are still special) in the Sylvanian army list, and you already have 2 black coaches for 3 rare....which in 2000pts. isn't legal. I'd suggest dropping a coach, adding a couple knights to the unit, dropping a thrall in there with walking death, and maybe a wight BSB with the war banner...That's +3 and some dead killy attacking power. That type unit has munched its way through many a dwarf.

Sylass
07-04-2005, 15:08
Black Coaches are special choices in a Sylvanian army. Rare choices are Banshees & Templars.

taer
07-04-2005, 15:25
Oh, my bad.

Roman
07-04-2005, 16:06
this is sylvanian, so coaches are special.

Also, the unit of knights your talking about costs like 600 pts and kinda ruins the whole plan :p

I dont see any problems against dwarfs anyways :)

About the swarms, I dont see any point in switching them to fell bats because I've already got a unit + wolves + summon wolves + grave markers so I dont really see what they could do to help me out.
Swarms on the otherhand can stop a unit for a turn, maybe even 2 which is all the time I need to set off another speedbump or some charges in the rear/flank. Fell bats unfortunatly cant, neither can wolves.... The only thing that may work is raise levy with the markers, but I'd rather not depend on magic and taking levy's from the start wont really help either because they're to slow and big to help.....

Anyways, I think ill put 1 thrall with the knights (swap wolf form for barded steed) and Mayb swap the lords wolf form for earthbind

Stouty
07-04-2005, 16:18
Goopd changes all in all, don't get rid of the swarms. I've rescenlty witnessed two bat swarms hold up (for an entire game) 5 chosen knight of khorne & a hero level khornate character. They never reached the main line. Another game saw these two bat swarms hold up 5 chosen knights of nurgle plus the chaos sorcerer and hero level character.
110pts. The knights cost 45 each (or something similar)

EvC
07-04-2005, 18:32
That's got to be some crazy bad luck on the chaos player's part though. Don't Chosen Khornate knights each have four attacks hitting on 3+ and wounding on 2+? The bat swarms shouldn't have lasted one turn!

Roman
07-04-2005, 20:29
They have 3 :)

so if you charge in the side, you could hold them up a long time....

EvC
07-04-2005, 21:51
Ahh, interesting..! This makes me wonder with the rules for combats- when you win a round you can bring models up from the rear rank forwards to join in the fight- does that apply to when you've been charged in the flank too? So if the chaos knights won due to a banner or whatever, could they move two more knights into the fight..?

Roman
08-04-2005, 20:54
no they cant, you can only do that when the unit has ranks.... I assume chosen khorne knights dont have that, cause that would be a huge waste.

Debaser
07-11-2005, 03:35
so howd the tourney go?