PDA

View Full Version : Translators needed for WARP

Slekith
28-11-2006, 12:07
As you may already know I'm creating a web application to create, share and store your army rosters online. One of the most interesting features is it supports multiple languages meaning that no matter what language the user creates the army roster in when another user loads that same roster it is displayed in his prefered language.

Long Story Short: Karl from Germany created his roster in german and when John from North Dakota browses Karl's roster, MAGIC! It's in perfect english.

To achieve that goal I need from people willing to help me out with the language dictionaries required to do that.
You can do that by sending an email to me and I'll send you a user and a password to access http://enterthewarp.dyndns.org/warp/dictionary

We are currently translating SPACE MARINE CODEX and the following languages are still missing:

FRENCH
GERMAN
ITALIAN
ENGLISH (needs revision)

Dare enterthewarp and send an email deathmongers@gmail.com

Thanks!!

skavenguy13
28-11-2006, 22:27
If I understood more what that was about and how to do it, I could help with French in my free time.

Slekith
29-11-2006, 02:28
I've already sent you and email telling you what to do, is pretty easy.

Thanks for your time.

skavenguy13
29-11-2006, 03:14
I've already sent you and email
Look, if there are more people interested, or if you want more people to be interested, or keep my attention on this, I strongly suggest you post it all here instead of going on an e-amil rampage:)

Slekith
29-11-2006, 03:41
Ok! Here's the post then...

Enter http://enterthewarp.dyndns.org/warp/dictionary and you can currently select 2 source languages: spanish and english (select the one you feel more confortable with), then select "translate to:" French and press Go.
You'll see a list with all the phrases and names that need translation, you write the translation and press Accepter when you're done.
You can go trough this process all the times you want.

You'll notice that only Space Marines are available so far, we'll keep people up to dat when other armies are included.

Thanks for your time.

Barbarossa
29-11-2006, 08:36
I did about 3/4s of the german translation. For the rest I'd need an actual codex to make sure I have the right wording. I'm gonna try and get one next week.

Slekith
29-11-2006, 14:00
I did about 3/4s of the german translation. For the rest I'd need an actual codex to make sure I have the right wording. I'm gonna try and get one next week.

Thank's for you work...

Don't forget to send me any ideas you may have about this tool, if you think there's a way to improve it or make it more user friendly don't hesitate a bit, tell me!

Any italian arround? We need you! :D

Slekith
04-12-2006, 14:54
So far: English, Spanish and French are done. German is over 60% and we still need for someone to help us out with ITALIAN!

So, if any italian is reading this and wanna help, just send me an email: deathmongers@gmail.com

Anyway, thank's to all those who have contributed. Soon you'll see the results.

Mephistofeles
12-12-2006, 11:45
You don't happen to need swedish? :P

Slekith
12-12-2006, 12:26
Call me an ignorant but I thought that all the Northen European Countries used english. In fact I once went to ne.games-workshop.com and I couldn't find any books in Sweedish, Finnish or any other of those languages...

Please tell me if I'm wrong, including new languages is not complicated, all the hard work is already done.

Thanks.

Cirenivel
13-12-2006, 19:11
Call me an ignorant but I thought that all the Northen European Countries used english. In fact I once went to ne.games-workshop.com and I couldn't find any books in Sweedish, Finnish or any other of those languages...

Please tell me if I'm wrong, including new languages is not complicated, all the hard work is already done.

Thanks.

there is Norvegian, Swedish, Danish, finnish(not sure how you spell it) and Iceland got their own language.

i can help with Norvegian.

Cirenivel

P.S the reason that there isn't anything in the NE languages is that there is wery few GW's up here, in Norway it's just 1(ONE!!)

Slekith
13-12-2006, 19:25
Games Workshop is the largest and the most successful tabletop fantasy and futuristic battle-games company in the world. A UK publicly quoted company with sales operations in the UK, USA, Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Australia and Northern Europe.

The Northern Europe business - based at Games Workshop’s global Headquarters in Nottingham, England – primarily supports the Games Workshop business in the Scandinavian (Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland) regions of Europe, the Neterlands and Belgium. Complementing these countries is our Emerging Markets department, which handles the business in the following countries (deep breath) Ireland, Poland, Russia, Greece, Croatia, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Hungary, Serbia and Montenegro, Bosnia Slovenia, Ukraine, Turkey, Malta, Israel, United Arab Emirates, and Gibraltar.

An expanding business, Northern Europe currently has eleven retail stores, these are in Amsterdam, Den Haag, Rotterdam, Haarlem, Gothenburg, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki and two in Dublin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what they have in ne.games-workshop.com, anyway... let's add all the languages people ask for!! :D

I've already sent you a message Cirenivel.

Cirenivel
14-12-2006, 15:33
That's what they have in ne.games-workshop.com, anyway... let's add all the languages people ask for!! :D

That would be

Swedish
Danish
The language they speak in finland
and Icelandish

That'l be the remaining languages in Northern Europe.

Cirenivel

Mephistofeles
15-12-2006, 19:24
As far as I know there are no books in sweedish, except for a simplified rulebook I once found. We use books in english that is perfectly correct.

Kjell
15-12-2006, 20:35
The reasons to that there are no official rulebooks in the Northern European languages are the following:

1) Each language is spoken by at the very most nine million people, and far from all are going to be potential customers.

2) Translating the texts and then printing the copies generates additional costs.

3) The majority of game-interested Northern European are already capable enough in English to understand the rules. Those who are not are beight taught it in school or have access to someone who does understand English well enough.

That's the gist of it. While having Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish and Icelandic available as options would be a nice touch it's far from as required as French of German versions. So there. ;)

BlazeXI
16-12-2006, 21:53
The reasons to that there are no official rulebooks in the Northern European languages are the following:

1) Each language is spoken by at the very most nine million people, and far from all are going to be potential customers.

Poland is in the Northern Europe GW Sales Region.

Our polulation is 38 million. We do have translations of GW Army Books and Codices done by Faber, a long time GW Independent retailer.
They are sometimes screwed by GW. An excellent example would be that they did a translation of 6th edition Dwarfs book only 2,5 years ago. If you look what book was available for last Christmass you will notice why they have decided to translate only the new releases.
I could help with translation, though I use english material exclusively.