PDA

View Full Version : Terrain Tactica

JonnyTHM
28-11-2006, 15:28
Like them or not, the terrain deployment rules are part of the new edition of Warhammer. I'd like to suggest that people post their suggested tactics with the new rules so we can come up with ways to work with the new system.

Note:
Please keep all "my way of doing it is not to use the new rules" posts elsewhere (there are plenty of threads that have gotten to that already).

You wouldn't post in an Empire tactica thread with "my way of doing it is to give my knights the lance formation, and to not use the mounted greatsword rule", so don't do the equivalent here.

I'll start it off:

Hill vs. Forests

My favourite technique with the new rules (which I've espoused elsewhere), is to counter hills with forests.

Not only does your forest restrict the line of sight coming from the hill, but it then allows a completely blocked avenue of approach to the hill for your skirmishers.

Wood elves

A smart general being approached by wood elves is obviously going to try to avoid getting too deep in the forests. Don't do the wood elf player any favours. The more terrain you deploy, the more forests he's going to drop down and use to make your life unpleasant.

You have to put down at least one piece of terrain, why not make it something useful like a defended obstacle (wild riders charging a defended obstacle might still strike first, but they won't be very effective). Other things to consider are pieces of impassible terrain. The wood elf skirmishers will ignore pretty much anything else, and you can use impassible terrain as cover for your advance, or to destroy fleeing troops.

Obviously after you've done your one mandatory... STOP.

Clogging the Horde

As a hordish skaven player, I know that nothing makes my life harder than a terrain filled battlefield that splits up my line, and prevents me from setting up for nice flanking positions. If you're fighting a horde, consider adding more terrain when possible.

Beardy terrain of Tomb king death

This should only be used as a last resort when trying to teach a tomb king player a lesson in sportsmanship.

Deploy as many pieces of wide difficult terrain (or defended obstacles) across the center of the board. The more pieces they let you drop the better.

This of course works best when someone has a primarily chariot filled army...

So, what strategies have you / will you employ?

Selsaral
28-11-2006, 16:29
A big tactic we have been using (which appears perfectly legal under the strict wording at the start of the 7th ed book) is to use 'blank' terrain pieces. That is, deploy a terrain piece that has no actual effect on gameplay (it isn't difficult terrain, it isn't a hill, it isn't cover etc). It could be a road section or a field. Use these pieces to deny your opponent the ability to place their desired terrain piece there (since terrain pieces cannot overlap). This allows someone who wants open fields to fight (terrain-wise) against someone who wants the entire battlefield filled with forests for example.

And for playing wood elves, I almost like hills more than forests. If your army is shooty, your manuevering is always critically constrained in order to avoid blocking LOS to your strings of archers.

Ender Shadowkin
28-11-2006, 16:37
resort when trying to teach a tomb king player a lesson in sportsmanship.

Deploy as many pieces of wide difficult terrain (or defended obstacles) across the center of the board. The more pieces they let you drop the better.

This of course works best when someone has a primarily chariot filled army...

So, what strategies have you / will you employ?

The new rules state that you may not place terrain 12" from the center of the board. This effectivly creates a 24" diameter terrain free circle right smack in the middle, one of the few new terrain rules I like.

JonnyTHM
28-11-2006, 16:40
Sorry, I should have been clearer. You really do have to choose one of the deployment zones to 'wall up' for the tomb king tactic to work.