PDA

View Full Version : Creating a planet

Hoshi No Koe
07-07-2005, 14:35
Right, I want to create some background and social structure for a hive world I'd like run in a future rpg and/or for writing a story.

The only things I'm set on is that it's a hive world, and that there are rebel groups of insurgents rising in each of the hives. The insurgents are not genestealer cults but some of them might have some minor chaos affiliations but nothing big. The cause of the uprisings are mostly due to the rule of a particularly tyrant like planetary governor.
Apart from that the social structure is pretty standard for the average hive world.
What I need are ideas and inspiration to make all the different factions on a hive world (nobility, arbites, adeptus mechanicus, administratum, ecclesiarchy, adeptus astra telepathica etc...) fit with each other and some ideas to set the world apart from other Hive worlds. Main industries, geography etc....

Bmaxwell
07-07-2005, 15:05
well most hive worlds are barren wastelands besides the hive's themselves

most hive really don't rpoduce much of anything execpt for posssible weapons that they make in factories. more of the time they just import things so that they can try to keep the humans alive.

good place for you to look is necromunda very good place to look for fluff on hives. and i think all the stuff can be downloaded for free

Ikkaan
07-07-2005, 16:10
most hive really don't rpoduce much of anything execpt for posssible weapons that they make in factories. more of the time they just import things so that they can try to keep the humans alive.

I had the impression that food, clean water,etc. has to be imported...but am i misinformed on the factorys in the lower areas ? I always thought there has to be lots of stuff to be manufactured to explain these large facilities.

charlie_c67
07-07-2005, 16:37
I'd have thought it would be like this (roughly). Spire classes get imported fresh varied food, middle/hiver classes get reconstituted gunk, nourishing but not appealing, Underhivers get whatever they can beg/steal/grow/hunt/scavenge.

Ikkaan
07-07-2005, 16:48
Okay...but: there´s the imperial tithe...even hive worlds have to pay. and i cannot image that the administratum terra is content just getting conscripts from these worlds. I read once that the population is called to work by signal horns when the shifts change, so there are people producing something that could be exported. Like machinery, tools, starships, weapons, furniture...necromunda toothbrushs maybe ?

Spacejens
07-07-2005, 16:55
The Necromunda pattern personal dental scrubber is used by millions of Guardsmen throughout the Imperium.

;)

I think production on Hive Worlds is mainly centered around factories and mines. Even if the planet has already been strip-mined of all resources, the masses of people mean that goods can be assembled here very cheap. "Will work for food".

Bmaxwell
08-07-2005, 02:33
well what i meant by that was don't think that a hive world could macth a forge world.

TenTailedCat
08-07-2005, 03:07
You can do anything you like really, the examples of hive worlds available are just that - examples.

Maybe have remote automated mining facilities, a few days travel from the main hives which mine metals or oil, or maybe extract minerals which are part of the planets tithe to the Admin' such remote and valuable places would be good fodder for coming under attack, perhaps from influential merchant houses who've stockpiled whatever the mines produce so that the destruction of the mines ensures they can bump up prices for their stock (I stole that idea from Dune :P ) Just venting ideas a little here, but you sould look into cyberpunk and sci-fi fiction for ideas.

Adept
08-07-2005, 03:14
In 'The Inquisition War' the hive world of Stalinvast produces new experimental weaponry. I believe Armageddon produces a large portion of the Chimera chassis used by the Imperial Guard.

A Hive world would be used as a factory world, I guess. Not a high tech forge world, covered in re-fitting space ports for the Imperial Navy, production facilities for Land Raiders or Power Armour and perhaps even Titans. Hive worlds could be used to produce grenades, bolts, lasguns, flak armour, boots, anything that is reasonably easily manufactured without requiring technical knowledge or skill. Plus of course all the non-military stuff, like furniture, appliances, clothes, and so on.

Wiseman
08-07-2005, 08:21
Maybe the hive world could be dedicated to producing pillows for the imperium, remember its not what your job is, as long you do it for the emperor, so they are all really good pillows:rolleyes:

malika
08-07-2005, 11:35
I suggest taking a look at the planets created for the Anargo Sector Project, its pretty detailed stuff there: http://anargo-sector.net/phpBB2/index.php

Example of a planet (http://anargo-sector.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=90)

Sai-Lauren
08-07-2005, 11:50
well what i meant by that was don't think that a hive world could macth a forge world.
This was raised on another thread. Basically Adept has it right, a Forge World can produce a large amount of high tech military hardware, but a Hive World can produce a massive amount of lower tech, mass produced equipment, whether it's military equipment (Chimeras from Armageddon, Lasguns from Necromunda), or general goods for consumption by the entire imperium.

Maybe the hive world could be dedicated to producing pillows for the imperium, remember its not what your job is, as long you do it for the emperor, so they are all really good pillows

Well, think back to the era of the industrial revolution, and those "dark, satanic mills" of Yorkshire and Lancashire all producing cloth from imports landed at Liverpool, Manchester, Hull and so on - effectively a hive by the population standards of that time. Who's to say there's not some hive world somewhere in the imperium who's main export is cloth?

Hoshi No Koe
08-07-2005, 13:24
You can do anything you like really, the examples of hive worlds available are just that - examples.

Maybe have remote automated mining facilities, a few days travel from the main hives which mine metals or oil, or maybe extract minerals which are part of the planets tithe to the Admin' such remote and valuable places would be good fodder for coming under attack, perhaps from influential merchant houses who've stockpiled whatever the mines produce so that the destruction of the mines ensures they can bump up prices for their stock (I stole that idea from Dune :P ) Just venting ideas a little here, but you sould look into cyberpunk and sci-fi fiction for ideas.

Very nice idea. I might include something like that. Gives cool possibilities in attacks the insurgent groups might stage. I want to do an RPG and/or story focussing on a group of such rebels so that could make good excuses for being approached by a merchan't guild.
That would make a good outline for the nobility of the planer. Merchant houses that constantly rival against each other. The planetory governor could be the leader of such a house and the rebels could find support from rivalling houses.

Pillow production could be one of the exports, I'm actually looking for such simple examples to give the planet some life.

Some of the main points I need to determine for giving a planet some life.
-The different factions and their relationships to each other
-The main export and import products of the world.
-Different types of industry
-The geography of the planet
-The characteristics of the varying defense forces (PDF, Arbites, private security forces)
-Culture

What else do I need to cover?

I'll take a look at the Anargo sector project. I've been meaning to do that anyway.

IceFire
08-07-2005, 14:37
When i played Necromunda i always looked for an excuse to base a campagin around a space elevator (dont know if the Imperium even has the tech for them) but possable the tyrant could allow the rivaling mechants to fight for the right to use the space elevator. (a space elevator is exactly what it sounds like, an elevator that goes up to space) this would be usful as getting large amounts of stuff (pillows for example) into orbit would cost alotta guilder creds if you used some sort of rocket ship.

Adept
08-07-2005, 16:03
I find one of the biggest glaring mistakes that GW makes is to give planets only a single type of terrain. Be they Volvcano planets, or Jungle planets, or Desert planets, or what-have-you. Remember to include varying terrain and climates for the world.

Also, perhaps have two or three main exports. I mean, it's hard to narrow down a single major export product for any of the current day developed nations, let alone for an entire planet.

malika
08-07-2005, 16:07
It's simply GW's use of the rule of cool. However a planet could be very limited in it's export products, but still be fully self sufficient.

Single types of planets such as lava worlds or ice worlds are possible to a certain extend (depending on their distance to the stars etc) or it could be Adeptus Mechanicus terraforming in which the manipulated the ecosystem of a planet.

Sai-Lauren
08-07-2005, 16:20
When i played Necromunda i always looked for an excuse to base a campagin around a space elevator (dont know if the Imperium even has the tech for them) but possable the tyrant could allow the rivaling mechants to fight for the right to use the space elevator. (a space elevator is exactly what it sounds like, an elevator that goes up to space) this would be usful as getting large amounts of stuff (pillows for example) into orbit would cost alotta guilder creds if you used some sort of rocket ship.

Aka a beanstalk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Elevator

Of course, a really big and old hive could have it's top spires at equivalent altitudes of low-orbit anyway.

Some of the main points I need to determine for giving a planet some life.
Best place to start is probably Necromunda, either the game itself, or the novels (only read Survival Instinct, kind of ok), Kal Jericho etc, then maybe Necropolis, add in elements from Mad Max and Westerns.
The imperial cult isn't that prevalent down hive, but those that do follow it are very fanatical (Redemptionists etc).