PDA

View Full Version : Chariot Bomb?

skabradisdead
30-11-2006, 02:41
Howdy Gang...

New to Fantasy... Super old school 40K player...

I really want to do a chariot maruader theme... Barbarians from the north kinda theme...

I was going to use
Peeps
Beastlord with Chaos armour, shield, and sword of +1 Attack in Chariot...
Lvl 1 Sorcerer on horse with dispel scroll

core
17 Beastmen Chariots
3 units of 6 hounds

special
1 unit of 5 marauder horsemen with throwing axes

2000pts

I know it is of the beaten track a bit but I really like the theme... Using tomb king chariots with different iconography, marauders riding in the back and feral looking horses pulling the teams...

Bad idea? Horribly cheesey? Stupid plan?

TheWarSmith
30-11-2006, 03:06
It'd be a very different style of army. Personally I'd drop a couple chariots to get more punch from characters. The berzerker blade would be nice if your lord is in a chariot.

That being said I really don't think it's the best army to start fantasy with.

Ogrre
30-11-2006, 04:29
imo really bad army no theme and wouldnt be fun to play against at all.

Dspankdo
30-11-2006, 09:11
There is a theme, and it would be very fun to play against especially if I took a shooting army. It would be fun to see if I could bring down the chariots before they hit the lines. No army is not fun to play against some people just aren't willing to lose once in a while.

Tutore
30-11-2006, 10:01
I don´t like it because I prefer variety in an army; however I would consider some problems you could face. You are low in magic, which isn´t a problem at all, but there are a couple of nasty low-cost spells which could be cast on the chariots, so that they cannot move or charge. Beware!

callum in hat
30-11-2006, 15:23
its too small, not enough coherent hitting power

skabradisdead
30-11-2006, 22:55
Hmmmm...

I thought a Marauder chariot, horsemen, and hound list is a theme? I fail to see how it isn't...

True it is restrictive to a few choices and it does not have alot of magic. I honestly don't think it will win very many games but I thought it would be really fun to model and convert. I have always really like chaiots and I am not too keen on the ol tomb kings...

I would have trouble with shooty, magic heavy armies or with anyone that hides in the woods... thought I would give it a go...

B

Yellow Commissar
30-11-2006, 23:08
Hello.

It looks themed to me, if that matters. I think it is rather nasty. You may have a bit of a learning curve against certain armies, but you'll never know unless you try it. I haven't played an army with that many chariots myself, so I can't really say how well it will do. I like it, though. Give it a whirl. Good luck.:)

pcgamer72
01-12-2006, 01:56
Well, it will definately surprise a lot of people. I don't think it wouldn't be fun to play against. I have a feeling it will be very hit and miss though, depending on the army you are playing against.

greenskin
01-12-2006, 04:13
I don't know what that one guy is talking about. Obviously is has a theme. As you said, barbarians of the north rolling over hamletts; pillaging, looting and all sorts of fun stuff. Typically, it seems to me that more theme = less variety by necessity. I like it.

I play a heavy chariot O&G army. Well, 7 chariots instead of 17 but still a lot. People cry cheese all the time when they see a lot of chariots despite all the weaknesses such an army has. I think the army will do well, and look cool. Just be prepared for the whiners, because there are plenty out there.

skabradisdead
01-12-2006, 04:21
Cool thanks guys!

I agree with your comments completely...

I am a beginner and took my dwarves to a 1 day fantasy tourney and did alright... Learned a heck of alot of rules that day... YIKES!!!

Anyway that army was sooooo tragically slow I thought I would go the other way... I love the conan Movies and Barbarian stuff so I thought I would give this a big go...

THanks again for the look..

B

Rikkjourd
01-12-2006, 13:20
Go for it. Before you bring it to the table (or even before you tell your friends your are getting the army) you can slowly start to phase out the use of most terrain and obstacles on your club's gaming tables haha =)

Also I suggest maybe dropping a chariot and putting in some more warhounds. You can never have too many of these. Also they are fast, and can build rank bonus fairly cheap and reliable. Heck, 20 warhounds are only 120pts and would virtually guarantee outnumber + some rank bonus in your combats.

popisdead
23-12-2006, 00:21
Don't play this army unless you are rich and realize you won't play it more than 5 times. The 8 chariot Goblin army is bad enough.

stashman
23-12-2006, 01:11
17 chariots painted on the battlefield! I would play that army anytime to get some new view on the "speed freak" barbarians.

LemonPotato
23-12-2006, 12:05
I like the army list and the theme, but I believe that in games your opponents will just hug terrain and you will be scuppered. Why not drop 4 chariots from the list and take 2 beast herds? You don't have to worry about the theme, just use marauders in place of gors and normal humans for ungor (they are smaller and could easily be bullied into being a missile screen...).

Try to get a musician on the marauder horsemen aswell as this is always handy for those rally tests.

Good luck,

LemonPotato

Crazy Harborc
23-12-2006, 22:05
Why not go for it! Hey, if it's in your budget to get all those chariots. It sounds like a great army to lock horns with just for grins while having a couple of cool ones and some snacks....pretzels, crisp ones, whatever.

That said....it might be a good idea to build a regular version of the army too.