PDA

View Full Version : Arming Scar vets and old bloods

Goq Gar
30-11-2006, 03:50
I and many other users probably know the way they like to arm their Saurus characters, but for those who may not, lets post some advice on arming them.

My opinion:

Scar vet:

Lt arm
Shield
Either sword of might or striking from the common magic list
Mark of quetzl

Old blood:
Lt arm
Shield
Quetzl
Itzl
Carnosaur
Scimitar sun resplendent
Something else to be decided later on

shadowghost
30-11-2006, 04:15
Oldblood w/ Blessed spawnings of Quetzl, Itzl, Sotek, on Carnosaur, Maiming Shield, Scimitar of the sun resplendent, light armor
9 strength 5, 4-5 strength 6 attacks on the charge plus terror. It can take any unit in the flank, and even some from the front, if you're lucky.
Take the Blade of Revered Tzunki for use against Knights (Brettonia)

McMullet
30-11-2006, 10:44
I like a great weapon, Gleaming Pendant of Chotec, Spawning of Quetzl and Tlazcotl, light armour (and maybe the talisman of protection).

Stick this guy in a unit of Tlazcotl-spawned saurus with spears. Put a skink screen in front of them. Hope that some enemy cavalry charges the skinks and overruns into you. Since it's your turn next, you can activate the pendant and they strike last, even after your great weapon. Tlazcotl is handy to prevent panic checks from the skinks being wiped out, and to ensure they don't leg it if the chargers cause fear (against better cavalry you'll probably lose combat the first round, though not by much).

Dead
30-11-2006, 14:17
i'm a fan of the hornet sword if the guy is in a rank and file regiment. it's a nasty surprise when you're charged.

Reinnon
30-11-2006, 14:26
Oldblood w/ Blessed spawnings of Quetzl, Itzl, Sotek, on Carnosaur, Maiming Shield, Scimitar of the sun resplendent, light armor
9 strength 5, 4-5 strength 6 attacks on the charge plus terror. It can take any unit in the flank, and even some from the front, if you're lucky.
Take the Blade of Revered Tzunki for use against Knights (Brettonia)

i prefere this combo mounted on a cold one in a unit of cold one riders.

it gives him a 0+ save and the unit has 20 strength five attacks on the charge, plus he is cheaper.

Kyuss
30-11-2006, 20:38
I'm a big fan of Sword of the Hornet, alongside Light Armour and a Shield. It counteracts the main weakness of scar-vets/oldbloods and in my mind make them point for point the best combat character in the game.

Nuff said!

Frankly
01-12-2006, 23:17
G.Weapon
L.Armour
Shield

Jaguar charm
ward save

sotek

Thats how I like to run my old blood, I keep him hidden and rely on his L.d. to keep the rest of the armylist moving ford. after that he goes for knight units to earn his points back, great supporting unit.

I like Veterans on Cold ones, it gives them a chance to get the charge, gives them a soild armour save, fear, extra fight.

EndlessBug
02-12-2006, 01:11
gleaming pendant ... 'nough said!

giving the whole unit the same ability as the sword of the hornet for a turn means basically wiping them out (given to spear units or temple guard) thats lots of str 4 or lots of str 5 attacks first... sickening!

or the basic 8 attacks...9 on the charge oldblood in any unit gives it a real fighting punch.

Nanozzo
02-12-2006, 12:22
I and many other users probably know the way they like to arm their Saurus characters, but for those who may not, lets post some advice on arming them.

My opinion:

Scar vet:

Lt arm
Shield
Either sword of might or striking from the common magic list
Mark of quetzl

Old blood:
Lt arm
Shield
Quetzl
Itzl
Carnosaur
Scimitar sun resplendent
Something else to be decided later on

My favorite combintion for oldblood is:
Spawning: tlazcotl-sotek-old ones
Piranha blade
Totem of jaguar warrior
Aura of quetzl
Enchanted shield

truthsayer
02-12-2006, 13:33
Stick this guy in a unit of Tlazcotl-spawned saurus with spears. Put a skink screen in front of them. Hope that some enemy cavalry charges the skinks and overruns into you. Since it's your turn next, you can activate the pendant and they strike last, even after your great weapon.

Will this actually work now though? What with overrun attacks taking place in the same turn.

McMullet
02-12-2006, 15:51
The overrun attacks only happen in the same turn if the unit you overrun into is already engaged in combat.

If you overrun into an unengaged unit, you have to wait for the next turn (or at least I think so... I may have misread the rulebook).

truthsayer
02-12-2006, 16:28
The overrun attacks only happen in the same turn if the unit you overrun into is already engaged in combat.

If you overrun into an unengaged unit, you have to wait for the next turn (or at least I think so... I may have misread the rulebook).

My God!!! you are right! :eek:

So over-runners can only fight again if they go into a combat that has not yet been fought. That makes my flank charges a bit easier!

Pacman
03-12-2006, 19:23
Sword of the Hornet is a winner. Saurus heroes are so dangerous that striking first could be all it takes.