PDA

View Full Version : Bones' 6,000 point Fire Hawks Convert-stravaganza!

Bonesthedog
02-12-2006, 07:45
Well, I figured I needed to get a project log going to motivate and get feedback from the wonderous forum community. Some may know me from the B&C (Prolly not), and some may have seen my nutty librarian I posted on here. So, let me explain the project.

A couple years ago, I bought a decent sized Space Marine army, assembled the whole lot, then really just lost interest. Coincidently, Warcraft came out about then. Hmm....

So, after a jumpstart back into the hobby, and a couple of steals from ebay, i have a force ready to be hacked apart, converted, painted, and some day, played with. I am an artist, and while my main focus is stuff like working with stone, pencils, clay, wood, and metal, I have some painting experience under my belt and I certainly am what you would call a handyman. So...let me lay out the goals of this project.

I'm looking at getting about 106 marines painted, along with 7 tanks, 3 bikes, and 3 dreads. Quite alot of work.

Main goals:

*Each marine to have a dynamic and conveying pose. What i mean by that is, i want you to feel you are looking at 7 foot tall men, with enoumous suits of heavy armour on with guns that fire explosive rounds. (And dont forget the acid spitting!)

*Each marine to have a truscale conversion. Be it spacing with plasticard, Doghouse pattern using the chaos legs, or sculpting and casting larger parts, I want the marines to not look....stubby.

*An attempt to do an update a day, or at least every couple days. College takes up time, but if i can covert one mini a day, ill be quite pleased.

*Lava bases!

*A flame, or firery theme. They are the Fire Hawks, precursers to the Leigon of the Damned, so they cant look all happy go lucky.

*Decent weathering. Nothing annoys me more than shiny marines. I want my marines to look worn and beaten.

3,000 points of this will go to my Fire Hawks army, and when I finish that, I decide wether I expand the Hawks, or make a second army for friends to play with.

And now, for the pics!

To start, we have the force, in all it's grey and semi ebay painted colours. More on that later.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00138.jpg

Note the stubbornly painted smurf marines, the librarian and chaplain from my past threads, and an old Mark 1 Exo Terminator, my pride and joy. The picture is self explanitory, but i shall type it out none the less!

Techmarine, full servo harness, 4 servitors, 2nd techmarine, apothocary, librarian, flaming librarian, commander, chaplain, 8 devastators, 23 terminators, 40 troops, 11 scouts, 20 assault marines, 3 rhinos, 3 bikes, 2 predators, 1 land raider, 1 land raider crusader, a land speeder, 3 dreads, and a partridge in a pear tree.

A shot of the work area, note the Future and Simple green (tools of the gods). And the delicious 360 and the hobby supplies. To the right is my trusy crafsman chest, filled to the brim with tools, bits, and things of handiness.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00135.jpg

And finally, a shot of the products i enjoy using, including Gears of War in it's sweet, sweet glory.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00137.jpg

Now, for the first thing to be done, i shall be working on stripping the rest of the smurf marines. Apparently, the guy who i bought a nice lot from used gobs of plastic glue to glue the metal minis, some kind of deck sealer to seal the smurf paint, and lord knows what else. Luckily I have cleaned it up, but for the most part it doesnt matter, since i will be hacking each one up anyways.

So, enjoy watching the project, ill try to provide juicy and perhaps non juicy updates, and will welcome ideas, thoughts, and comments with open arms.

So, to start, who knows some product that will make rock hard, caked on paint wash away with water? Untill that magic elixir is born, it's back to the simple green and brush till tomorrow.

G.Hawke
02-12-2006, 10:01
what the hell is that firey orange thing? can't make head nor tails of it. Nice project though, should be good.

Hawke

Your Mum Rang
02-12-2006, 10:19
It's his Librarian I think. Bursting into flames in true Fire Hawk stylee!

Steel_Legion
02-12-2006, 11:22
good louck, by the looks of things, your gonna need it, any idea how you are going to make them dynamic? as converting ALL will be very hard...
p.s. G15 keyboards rock

KayvaanShrike
02-12-2006, 11:33
Sounds interesting, I shall keep an eye on this with interest.
Any chance of a close up of the firey thing?

Arhalien
02-12-2006, 16:56
It is the flaming librarian, it's in the dynaminc posing competition thread (wherever that is at the moment) iuf you want to see pictures.

Bonesthedog
03-12-2006, 01:19
Today's update:

Worked on an assault termie. Boy, those metal figures dont leave alot of room for conversion. Much dremeling was required. I certainly am not looking foreward to the scouts.

The claws are merely stuck on to see if i like the look, which i'm not sure of yet. Hence the fact they they are falling off mid picture. Perhaps i will thicken and make them more bladelike, who knows.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00144.jpg

Also, shots of that librarian can be found here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55767)

BodhiTree
03-12-2006, 01:28
This sounds very ambitious and unique, which is exactly my sort of thing. :) I'm currently collecting my next army (Chaos), and waiting for the DA Codex to come out so I can collect and run the Damnedwing - so your Fire Hawks will be a good source of inspiration.

Bonesthedog
04-12-2006, 04:32
Well, I have yet to dremel the claws off, but i did pose the metal legs (way, way more work than you think), drill, add, plastic card, blah blah. On to the pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00146.jpg

Updated work to be posted tomorrow. Anyone got a suggestion for claws? Been brainstorming, have some ideas, but i welcome ideas.

hellbrecht
04-12-2006, 05:18
Hmm, I'm not sure about the underarm ribbing on that first termi. It just seems a little much.

I'm loving the second termi though, great repose there. Looks really fierce & agressive.:evilgrin:

I was thinking of doing my Sons of the Forge truescale but I'm too lazy. I'll be eager to see how you do with these. Your librarian shows your conversion & sculpting skills so I have full confidence you'll be able to achieve your lofty goals.

(BTW, how far have you got on GoW? I'm trying to get through insane. Haven't even got through act 1 yet.:( )

Bonesthedog
04-12-2006, 05:31
Yea, i too had doubts about the ribbing, i think ill throw some chains or purity seals or maybe a shoulder cape to cover it. Those guys are still WIP.

Im thinking I wanna do a termie slicing some guy in half, or maybe down the middle. My problem with converting assault termies is figuring out how to really show thier power. I mean, huge ***** guys in bulky powered suits with claws of pure energy attached to thier hands, and GW models them like they are some kinda pointy handed zombies.

Hence why i must attack the metal with my trusty dremel. I think im gonna carve the head off the next one, and sculpt a nice angry face. That should do nicely.

Btw, purity seals, cloaks, little doodads, etc, have yet to be added. Just posing, as for now.

As for gears, working my way thru hardcore. I spend too much time playing online with the bratty 12 year olds of the world.

edit: forgot to thank ya for the compliment about my librarian.

Tom
04-12-2006, 18:07
Remember, that it is possible to go too dynamic. An army where everyone's waving about like complete nutters is going to look... well, silly. Anways preferred the 'I am going to kill you because I can, and I do not care how long or how hard it may be' style to the 'AAAARGH! REND MAIM FLAY!' style.

And agreed on the gargantuan ribbed armpit of doom there, it is too much.

Aside from thiose two points, best of luck. You're either very dedicate or completely mad, and knowing this place, probably both, hehe.

And I want your workspace.

Bonesthedog
04-12-2006, 19:36
Oh, definatly both.

When i mean dynamicly posed, i dont mean everyone is matrix kicking in air. I understand that one, i just want them to look like each squad is a slowly advancing, tactical, bulletproof, 7 foot, acid spitting bunch of angry superhumans.....instead of 40 guys with legs slightly bent holding a bolter. And looking all stubbylike and whatnot.

As for the "armpit of doom", well, thats what experimentation is for. I always did wonder how terminators reached the cookies on the top shelf.

I'm totally with you on the style of posing, perhaps with this post i kind of enlightened ya.

If the bolter and chainsword is back up, theres a thread where a guy did these great truscale, weathered, green marines, with casted parts to make them look huge....that's what im going for. They dont all need to be flipping thru the air "flipping out and killing people" (extra points to whoever gets that one), but they need to look, for lack of a better word, beastly.

For the termies, i'm trying (rather unsuccesfully) to create the look of bulky termies swinging claws. Hate to admit it, but im refrencing old wolverine comics on the internet for posing ideas.

Enjoy! More updates tonight.

Tom
04-12-2006, 20:13
Glad to have the confirmation. I know I need to stop being so confrontational here sometimes, hehe.

One idea for the armpit of doom, possibly extend the... Well, under-pad of the shoulder pad, that part underneath what appears to be a small cutout on the bottom front edge. Have that extend a bit further and see how it goes.

Perversely, it's much easier to dynamically pose the new plastics with thunder hammers than it is to pose the new plastics with lightning claws.

Of course maneuverability was about eight hundred and forty-third on the list of 'attributes to include in Terminator Armour' when it was designed.

And no. Space marines not ninjas. Space marines honourable samurai!

Edit: Hold on. Are you sculpting new-style lightning claws onto old-style termies? That's a slice of fried gold, thatis. Nice to see I'm not the only one that prefers the new ones.

Bonesthedog
04-12-2006, 20:25
Yea, i'm gonna be sculpting new plastic claws onto the old metals ones.

Dremeling to the max for thes uns. I figured i'd get the metal models out of the way, then move on to the easy plastics.

For these guys, i dremel the metal claws right off, reason being, i hate them, since the metal gets all lumpy and not-straight, then sculpt a new fist, then cut out new plasticard blades (think kitchen knife shape), then glue those onto dried GS.

To pose metal figs, i cut slots in the joints and bend them with two pliers, with a rag inbetween to minimize scarring.

I wish i had new plastic termies to work with, but all i have is boring old metal ones.

P.S. Mmm...fried gold.

Bonesthedog
05-12-2006, 08:24
Well, tonight's late night update:

Finished 3 assault termies, aside from bases. Those come later!

The first un:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00150.jpg

Don't worry, i shifted the claws on the right to the left.

The srg:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00149.jpg

I think hes my favorite so far. Also, i corrected that little blob on the top of his claw. Amazing what looking at nice big photos help you spot. Also,the blob beneath the armpit is a purity seal, just looks wierd from this angle.

The second un:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00147.jpg

Keep in mind, im workin with metal here. M-e-t-a-l converting. Bleah. Next time, im shelling out for the plastic ones, no matter how cheap used ebay ones are. I got more sparkly dusty from dremeling on me than an 8 year old ballerina.

Enjoy!

-Bones out.

P.S.: The claws are not too long!

Arhalien
05-12-2006, 15:20
Interesting. aren't termioes now on larger bases than those? And are you going to keep the white putty underneath their feet?

Bonesthedog
05-12-2006, 15:58
Of course not. I have yet to sculpt the lava bases, so i just blu-tacced em on for photo purposes.

Are they on bigger bases nowadays? I have no idea.

Tom
05-12-2006, 19:43
40mm bases for Termies now, yep.

More space to do fun stuff with.

Bonesthedog
05-12-2006, 19:54
Sweet. Can you buy em in packs at GW stores, or what?

dave is the best
05-12-2006, 20:08
Sweet. Can you buy em in packs at GW stores, or what?

Yes

DAVE

Getifa Ubazza
05-12-2006, 21:18
I really like your terminators, the claws are cool.

Bonesthedog
06-12-2006, 05:00
Tonights update:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00152.jpg

Enjoy!

Bonesthedog
06-12-2006, 19:18
Double post: After looking at these pics and deciding the greenstuff on claws looks way too goddamn blobby, anyone have an idea of how to work with that? I'm thinking fire at the base of the actual claws. Could be badass.

Cap'n B
06-12-2006, 19:56
the fire idea sounds pretty cool. I like this new termie a lot more, he looks a lot much better.

Calgar
06-12-2006, 20:45
"Miniature overload.........argghhh, hurts eyes....*dies*"
Concerning your first over-army piture.

Bonesthedog
06-12-2006, 23:25
Aye, definatly alot of marines. And each one to have some sort of conversion that will make you say:

"Oh lord. Why is he doing that? I'm ever so upset. Quick Beasly, pass me my Epson salts."

-Bones out.

P.S.: Some sort of update, perhaps involving things, or maybe stuff, tonight.

BodhiTree
07-12-2006, 03:29
1. Do up the fire claws.

2. When you do your Assault Marines, have a Sergeant doing an upper-cut with a flaming powerfist.

3. Name him Brother Shoryuken.

(I'm actually going to do that or something similar some day. Perhaps when I do my Legion of the Damned or something.)

Bonesthedog
07-12-2006, 06:25
I just had a startling revalation. You can put the pin vice bit...

IN THE ELECTRIC DRILL!

Pics to come in a couple hours.

Edit: Literally 5 minutes later, bam, drill into the finger. You can't write this kind of comedy gold.

Bonesthedog
07-12-2006, 07:37
Pretty much all i got done tonight:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00154.jpg

I was gonna sculpt, but i didnt think i could stay awake another couple hours. Oh well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00155.jpg

Started work on some claws, dunno why i'm even posting that picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00156.jpg

Result of electric drill attack, hour or so after i was done bleeding.

I only cried for 20 minutes.

-Bones out.

Bonesthedog
08-12-2006, 23:51
Alright, picked up for 40mm bases for the termies today, so im going to be working on making some lava bases and then finishing those termies i posted yesterday. Also, pending a trade with the delightfull Spikyjames, ill have some decorative termie bits to spice them up a bit.

To do list:

1. Make lava bases
2. Finish assault termie squad
3. Begin work on sculpting truscale legs for tacticals
4. Buy more silicone rubber and cast said legs

Also, i'm going to be running a simultaneous project. I'm gonna be making my own gaming table, and here is the theme.

Ruined city next to active volcano. With flowing lava thru the streets and ash covered buildings and other fun things. I'll be brainstorming, and ill work on it when i tire of converting. Once the work on that is done, ill paint up the army, paint up the table, and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Pics / update tonight, i promise.

spikyjames
08-12-2006, 23:55
good to see the projects getting going fairly quickly, and glad to be of help.

james

Bonesthedog
09-12-2006, 08:35
Tonight's update:

More work on the last of the assault termies
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00158.jpg

Made some lava bases
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00157.jpg

I promise, you guys will like the thread better when i start the truscale work on the normal marines. For now, it's just wierd lookin termies.

-Bones out.

Quin 242
09-12-2006, 12:12
so you don't think that setting the shoulder out an extra inch doesn't look odd on those termies?

You need to bring them in a bit..
not sure on the 2 inch lightning claws either...

but I do like the idea of more dynamic metal termies.. I have a STACK of them here just looking at me...

Bonesthedog
09-12-2006, 18:57
Well, it does look a bit odd, but i think thats only because we arent used to see them in any other poses besides the Mr Roboto they usually are in.

As for the length, i always found it hard to imagine that they could slice thru anything bigger than a skinny eldar.

I'll finish these ones today, and that will be the last you see of termies for a bit. I'm gonna start working on truscale parts for regular marines.

Bonesthedog
13-12-2006, 09:54
Well, sorry i havent updated in a bit, but i've been painting all week. I couldnt stand looking at a whole unfinished squad.

I hope you like them! I'm really proud.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00163.jpg

The lightning claw effect, while unconventional, really looks good at a distance.

PS: Shame on whoever gave my thread a 1!

Cap'n B
13-12-2006, 10:26
wow, these look a lot better now they're painted. I would just touch up the white a bit on the LCs.

KayvaanShrike
13-12-2006, 13:26
THey look better now they are painted, I was a bit skeptical it has to be said. One thing I don't like is the way you have your claws orientated. If you look at the new ones, the curved part is too the outside, not the inside, I think it looks a little wierd the way you have it, but its your army in the end.

And apart from that you have done an awesome job with the metal termies.

ss_cherubael
13-12-2006, 13:44
they look good mate, im still not a fan of the under arm ribbing, it looks a bit strange even when painted. Im loving the bases tho and the termis are painted to a very nice standard. will be keeping an eye on this thread

Bonesthedog
13-12-2006, 16:29
Thanks guys!

@Captain: Yea, i think i'm definatly doing that.

@Kayvaan: I figured the curved part was the blade, IE the sharp part of a knife, so wouldnt they be slashing across, from right to left with the right hand and left to right with the left hand? Hmm. And thanks, it was a challenge to do something dynamic with the metal ones.

@cherubael: yea, the ribbing is still a bit wonky. I definatly wouldnt do it that extreme next time.

I was really afraid to do the battle damage. Breaking up the clean yellow was hard. I'm not sure if you can even see it with these pics, or see the handpainted mushroom cloud. Oh well.

Tom
13-12-2006, 22:26
Yeah, but if you look at the models, the straightr part is the 'pointy' edge, and the curved part much thicker.

The rightlower blade on the marine far right on that painted pic's gone wonky.

Bonesthedog
13-12-2006, 23:28
Ah, i see now. Course, i dont like anything about the new plastic claws, heh. And yea, theres a few claws that are strangly spaced, but i liked the look, almost "Freddy" like finger claws, i guess.

And thanks to the wise guy who gave me a bad rating. That makes me a sad panda.

Next up: Chaplain!

The conversion is gonna be nuts. Picture a chaplain in termie armor, leaning on a banner pole, but instead of a banner, a giant flaming hawk. Still brainstorming on how to mess with the crozius.

FarseerUshanti
13-12-2006, 23:32
Great paitn job on the termeys. It definitly makes the conversions look a whole lot better. My only problem is with the bases. I like the idea of a lava base, but with the colors you used it makes them sort of blend in with the terminators. Maybe using more red and orange on the base would help make the model stand out from the base

Bonesthedog
13-12-2006, 23:40
Yea, i know. I spent all night when i was working on them looking at pictures of those slow lava flows. I figure as i make more of them they will look better,

FarseerUshanti
13-12-2006, 23:42
i'd say that all oyu owuld even need on these is to extend the red and orange layers wil reducing the white and yellows on the lava. This will give it the contrast.

Bonesthedog
18-12-2006, 08:34
Sorry for lack of updates, just finished finals. Tommorow i continue work on the chaplain with the huge hawk banner, pics sometime soon.

Bonesthedog
31-12-2006, 03:39
Well, i'm back. The holidays were a sweet, sweet, mess and after beating around the proverbial 40k bush I decided to get some work done.

This squad is the terminator command squad, and I played with the theme of a terminator timeline, if you will.

First up is an ancient Exo terminator, from 1988,a Mark 1. Due to me not wanting to destroy it with a dremel, i slapped some purity seals on it and left it completly alone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00165.jpg

Next is a old metal termie, with a converted assault cannon, followed by the plastic one which replaced them. Nothing huge, conversion-wise.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00167.jpg

Next up is the current plastic terminators, complete with an ammo feed made from the millions of stupid little belt pouches no one ever uses. I'm gonna paint him with some OSL, lights illuminating the bottom of his face and chest. It's gonna be badass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00168.jpg

Finally the START (Not finish) of my chaplain. The banner / thunder hammer / crozius is based off the Chrystler building gargoyles, and I have yet to really put detail on it or shape the way I want it to go. Maybe fold back the wings....hmm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00170.jpg

Well, I'll finish the chaplain, then paint em all up, and I'll have the terminator part of my army done. Oh joy.

Beach Head
31-12-2006, 06:26
Not to sound negative but the chappys corozius seams a bit grandiose and impractical as a weapon and his head seams a tad small. Other than that its top notch stuff. The painted pics look quite good.

Kobrakai
31-12-2006, 14:23
These guys look insane! It's awesome to look at though.

I have to admit it's quite a unorthodox way to start a army with a unit of terminators, but i'm a traditionalist by which I get a HQ and 2 Troops done first, then move on ya da ya da.

What have you got planned after the chaplain?

Bonesthedog
31-12-2006, 18:01
Beach Head: Belive me, i know how silly the crozius is. That does seem to be the theme of my army tho, almost cartoonish. Take a look at the librarian, haha. And i always loved the small headed look, especially on the art of Calgar, in the codex, as he sits on the throne. I'm sure you guys know what i'm talking about. Thanks for the compliments and criticism!

Kobrakai: I must admit, I love terminators. In fact, I have yet to really finish a single regular marine, even my two HQ choices have been terminators. Appriciate the compliements.

After the chaplain, I plan on doing some truscale casting and sculpting for my regular marines.

This picture is from a fellow on the Bolter and Chainsword, and i'm going to be stealing the idea from his Wings of Retribution army.

http://www.elisanet.fi/toni.sokura/iso.jpg

My attempts so far to make the individual pieces have been wonky at best, due to the fact that its hard to judge scale when working on a single leg or foot, and that actually putting the piece on a piece of wire and working on it doesnt work well either. I was thinking of making a large chunk of dried magic sculpt and then working it down with the dremel, but I really dont know.

Maybe you guys can help.

th0r
31-12-2006, 20:02
Just wanted to say, I really dig your lava. Different then how you usually see lava being represented but I think it looks really good.

Bonesthedog
01-01-2007, 02:04
Why, thank you. I started off trying to perfectly emulate flowing lava, but it sort of morphed into a stylized representation of lava. I too liked how it came out.

Bonesthedog
03-01-2007, 05:23
Well, here's the painted terminator command squad. I liked my sourcelighting on the power fists, but i struggled with the newest marine's assault cannon and ultimatly settled for a barfy color. Oh well, not too bad for my first try. Enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00178.jpg

charlie_c67
03-01-2007, 20:01
Maybe I missed it, but why's the new AC guy tilted back like that?

de Selby
03-01-2007, 20:23
Excellent work. I am strongly reminded of Joe Orteza's Black Templars GT army from a few years back, and I'd link to it but I can't find a pic.

I think the head of the sergeant in the first squad could do with darker shading, some flesh wash or something. It looks a bit pale and lost in all the yellow.

Love that archive terminator.

Boss_Salvage
03-01-2007, 20:33
Maybe I missed it, but why's the new AC guy tilted back like that?
Pigeons.

Once again, look pretty cool painted up, though I was skeptical as usual without the paint. I should learn one of these days ... The ancient termie looks is very neat, and while I think the 'fist lighting and the AC ammo belt are ideas that didn't quite turn out, kudos for the attempt and the squad looks good as a whole.

Keep 'em coming!

- Salvage

Bonesthedog
04-01-2007, 01:10
Thanks, guys!

charlie: Oh, i thought he was firing at some kind of alien scurring on the celing. I think my unconsious is recalling some movie, but i cant place where i got the idea.

de Selby: Thanks, your comments are much appriciated. Of course, i spent a good 20 minutes trying to find pictures of the army you mentioned, but with no luck. I'm sure it's out there. Regarding flesh, well, i'm still figuring it out. Definatly agreed. And i did love the way the old termie came out, those old models look great with a clean paintjob.

Boss Salvage: Flying rats with wings. Thanks for the compliment, again, love those old models. I'm gonna agree that the sourclighting and the belt did not come out the way i wanted, and im with ya on the verdict. As for the belt feed, it was the best i could do, since sculpting a long chain of bullets was looking bleak. I would have liked to have done it that way, however.

Thanks for the comments!

(And if anyone has a picture of Joe Orteza's 2001 Dallas GT Black Templars army, don't be a stranger!)

Bonesthedog
06-01-2007, 08:44
Well, I finished the Chaplain's crozius / power hammer / large, impractical thingy.

He shall be painted soon. Then on to dreadnoughts, methinks. 2 Venerables and a regular. Not ready to tackle truscale...yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00182.jpg

Oh, and if you like it, please rate the thread. A score of "bad" isn't very motivational. :)

Enjoy!

-Bones out.

de Selby
08-01-2007, 12:38
I love the Chrysler building, it's so bombastic. It's got chrome eagles stuck on it, for heaven's sake.

Could you maybe sweep the wings back and up (ie. fold them a bit) to make a less unwieldy, more dangerous-looking weapon? It does look more like a banner at the moment.

Bonesthedog
08-01-2007, 20:49
Yea, i was thinking about putting the wings at either a straigh back angle or a 45 degree, not sure yet.

Although he is primed (white, of course), i think i can still fold the wings with a couple vertical cuts.

Currently I am waiting for my hobby shop to open, as my dwarf bronze is dry and a, lets say, mishap with attempting to revive it with a dremel and some water has also runied a shirt, and given parts of my work area a metallic sheen.

You get the picture.

Anyways, the bronze is for the chaplain, as he is going to be painted in a gold colorscheme. I read that you dont always have to use black, you could use a metallic version of your chapter colours, and i decided to go that route.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

MaxORK
08-01-2007, 21:56
I love your crazy conversions, and I admire the fact that you are more than willing to go completely against the grain and produce marvelous results!
The colour scheme and Larva effect more than make up for the odd slip up here and there and I love the models!

...Shame you own a 360 though Wii all the way! :D

Bonesthedog
08-01-2007, 22:23
Thank you, Max. That really means alot to me. I'm glad you like them.

liamrob
09-01-2007, 04:49
Dam there looking good but the LC are the wrong way around IMO but i guess it is ur army and not mine. I wanna go buy some old termies off ebay now and practise my first converts.

Keep up the good work. Yeah the face on the first squad sgt do a brown ink or flesh wash or something. His face is to pale and not enough depth. Sorry but good C & C makes for better work.

Keep up the good work.

Sian
09-01-2007, 05:55
Wow, I've never seen an ancient termie with a good paint job. he really looks nice!

Bonesthedog
09-01-2007, 06:19
Thank you. I think the older models can look great with a clean paintjob, and this one is definatly one of my favorites.

(Besides Squats, of course.Who can resist them?)

Bonesthedog
11-01-2007, 01:24
Liamrob: Sorry, i overlooked your post. I agree, I'm going to be reworking the flesh on the searge, and i think if i were to do the claws again, i would face them the other way. Glad to be an inspiration for getting use out of the older static metal models.

Now, i have a dilemma. I want to show you guys the work on this dreadnought i am doing, but i dont know.

Should i show the unpainted, or the final painted project? Im working on the conversion part, and I personally think it is unlike nothing you have seen. So, i dont know wether to do a sort of project log on it, or just show off a finished piece.

What do you all think?

Also painting my chaplain atm, pics of him relativly soon.

Bonesthedog
11-01-2007, 06:15
Well, I finished the chaplain. To be honest, I'm not satisfied with the result. I couldnt blend the gold enough to make any sort of contrast, I didnt like the eyes, the power part of the crozius turned out wrong in my eyes, and the model as a whole failed to satisfy me completly. I still like it, I just think I will repaint parts of it later on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00186.jpg

I shall continue work on the dreadnought.

Son-Of-Sparda
11-01-2007, 10:00
Wow, Ive just stumbled onto this thread- what a find!
Honestly, that is some sweet conversion work so far.
I find it equally difficult to blend any metallic paint- I wish I could be more helpful! :p
As to the Dread, I think that as this is a project log, to show it as a WIP- just to see how you've converted it.
Oh, I like the fiery yellow and blue lightning claw contrast (even though they may be the 'wrong way round' :D )
Keep up the good work.

Bonesthedog
13-01-2007, 07:21
Son-of-sparda: Thanks for the kind words, friend.

Alright, here is the WIP dread.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00190.jpg

Points of interest: The hatch is hinged, and can be opened and closed to reveal...

The two jars, presumable with some kind of organs in them, and the metal rod, which will have....

A brain and spine, hooked up to a jumble of wiring that is connected to the other various details yet to be sculpted in. It's gonna be sweet.

The close combat weapon has been merged with the heavy flamer (genius, i know) to create a flaming flamer claw...of flames. I'm gonna sculpt a lil pilot light on each of them. They are drilled to look like flamers, hard to see since i had to turn on the flash to illuminate the sarcohpagus.

The assault cannon arm has been converted to a regular arm, with what will be a fist clutching an ENOURMOUS underslung assault cannon with bullets large enought to put a hole in a bear. You can see the shell casings on the desk which will decorate the base.

The base will be lava. Of course.

Another view, showing the wip hinge and a better view of other bits.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00191.jpg

Now, this is all wip.

The gaps will all be filled in, wires will be added everywhere.

The space between the arm and the sarcophagus will be filled in with a mix of wire and hydrolics, same with the spaces between the hand and shoulder and flamer-claw and shoulder.

Huge amount of detail is yet to be added (he is venerable, joo know) and bling and wires and fire hawk emblems and other gobbeldygook is yet to be throw on him.

This is a very rough version, just to show you fellers what exactly is coming up.

Enjoy, and suggestions are welcome (The crazier the better, please.)

Bonesthedog
14-01-2007, 08:41
Drawing I did late this evening, also posted in the art forum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00194.jpg

Rabid Bunny 666
14-01-2007, 15:36
The one thing i can see with the chaplain is a Chestnut wash, it should bring out the details, although i'd do a practice piece first.

Apart from that, the army is coming along nicely, the bases are insane!

de Selby
15-01-2007, 13:15
For quite a rich gold, I paint
1 gold
2 brown ink wash
3 mithril silver highlight
4 tidy up with gold highlight

Really looking forward to the dread.

Boss_Salvage
15-01-2007, 19:07
You weren't kidding about the hinge! Gads, everything is huge about that dread ... looking forward to paint on that beast.

- Salvage

Bonesthedog
15-01-2007, 19:13
Rabid Bunny: Thank you, and I will definatly do a wash when I decide to redo the chaplain.

Thank you for the recipie, De_Selby!

Boss_Salvage: I think it might end up being my best work, the way it's coming along so far.

Regarding the dread: I'm trying to take my time, and not rush it, so that means multiple laters of greenstuff and making sure everything is neat. I'm currently working on the jumble of cables and brainstorming ideas for "bling".

Thanks to all who have shown interest!

Son-Of-Sparda
15-01-2007, 21:38
Son-of-sparda: Thanks for the kind words, friend.

Not at all, it's been my pleasure looking at your awesome work. Here's hoping the Dread' looks just as good- now get it done!

de Selby
16-01-2007, 13:15
Here's a pic of an old Chaos Undivided Dreadnought conversion of mine so you can get an idea about the gold I like. All the colours look rather brighter in the pic than they do in real life.

I can delete it after you've had a look. I don't want to hijack your loyalist thread...

edit: pic purged by the Ordo Malleus, as promised.

Bonesthedog
17-01-2007, 09:07
Very, cool, De_selby. The conversion is nuts! I do wonder if there is a way to get some kind of variation of color with gold metallics on the large, flat surfaces. Dear lord.....i might have to learn NMM. The horror.

Anyways, update for now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00197.jpg
THE BRAAAINNNNNNNNN

Each vertebrae will have wiring coming out of it, and the two tanks in the back will be hooked up to the brain itself. Dunno if i wanna do some kind of metal plate on the brain's surface (the cerebral cortex, go psychology class!) or maybe do something else.

I'm also gonna embellish each join with some draped wiring, and then add more hosing to the existing hosing on the legs and arms.

He's coming along slowly, but when it's all done, mmmmm. Gonna be sweet.

PS: Also working on a flowing lava base, anyone have any ideas in the way of lava for a base? I'm thinking the dread making cracks in the hardened lava, revealing the nougaty, fiery inside.

PS: Working on concept art for my gaming table. Who remembers the Fire Hawk's fortress monastery, Raptourous Rex? Well, the theme, besides a cityfight covered by an erupting volcano, will be crashed Fortress Monastery. I'm excited already.

Son-Of-Sparda
17-01-2007, 19:20
THE BRAAAINNNNNNNNN

Each vertebrae will have wiring coming out of it, and the two tanks in the back will be hooked up to the brain itself. Dunno if i wanna do some kind of metal plate on the brain's surface (the cerebral cortex, go psychology class!) or maybe do something else.

That looks awesome- kinda reminds me of Krang from the Turtles ;)
Anyway, what you are planning to do sounds good- it is the brain and spinal cord that make up the central nervous system. So wiring from them would be pretty accurate- estimates nervous control over the peripheral nervous system. Sorry, bioscience head on. :p
*Keeps eyes peeled for updates*

Warwolt the skaven
17-01-2007, 19:56
*stares*

.... Oh god, how I am giong to loot that... I MUST HAVE ONE FOR MY PLAGUE MARINES XD

liamrob
18-01-2007, 12:37
Looking good. I love that brain in the dread. I will have to check back later.

Barbarossa
18-01-2007, 15:43
Love all those conversions, even though I'm not a fan of marines in general.

Bonesthedog
21-01-2007, 08:50
Thanks to everyone who commented! Oh, and good call on Krang. I was thinking "villan from Robocop", but that works too!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00199.jpg

Annnnnyways, update time. Made myself some thicker, custom tubing, added it to arms, flamer, and brain, then worked on the pose and the gun (hand yet to be sculpted). Oh, and I mixed up some plastic resin and filled in the tanks in the cockpit. I plan on filling in the gaps between hosing and whatnot, then I'm not really sure what else I'm putting on him.

Maybe smooth out the plasticard flamer, but I kind of like the sheet metal look. And add more bling, but I'm still looking for inspiration on that stuff.

Updates to come, methinks.

liamrob
22-01-2007, 14:27
()mg he is looking awesome!!!

The assault cannon arm is a bit to far out in my way but it is your model. I think of dreadnaughts as slow moving (well at a descent pace) And able to move there arms out a bit to fire at everything around it. The stock ones are to bulky and unable to move so i think yours is fine.

Keep up the good work. (the brain is awesome to)

Hideous Loon
22-01-2007, 14:48
I love the Dreadie, Bones, he looks really cool. Krang would be proud.

Bonesthedog
24-01-2007, 04:41
Liamrob: The arm does look a bit off and really long, but it was really the only way I could see the pose happening, and I liked the cannon too much anyways. I like the look of a huge, and what I imagine, slow rotating cannon shooting shells large enough to tear a hole in a man.

Loon: Thanks friend, I'm glad you like it.

So, update time. I basically finished it tonight. The plasticard surfaces look plain, yes, but it will include huge amounts of freehand, all over. And in the style of Dominus' Phantoms, huge amounts of battle damage to break up the surfaces.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00205.jpg

Added flames, green stuffed in the hose gaps, made a fist, tidied up parts, and put some shell casings on the base. Also did armour piercing bullets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00208.jpg

Interior shot, gonna be painted with all kinds of dials and lights and whatnot.

I filled in the viewing slot in favor of a sourclighted glowing slot, and added purity seals and other misc stuff.

Also, note the pose changed from the above picture. Never fear, it will not, I will still have the same slow moving stomping pose, just the blutac didnt feel like cooperating when I took the pics.

You know, I might enter this in some sort of contest.

Enjoy!

Rabid Bunny 666
24-01-2007, 12:48
Oh wow, thats looking suitably killy.

The only problem is the fist carrying the Assault cannon, i'd try squareing off the fingers a bit.

MaxORK
24-01-2007, 12:55
It's all very brilliantly LOUD If your not American I'll eat my hat!

Son-Of-Sparda
24-01-2007, 16:48
Sweet Jesus. That is most impressive. Cookies for you :p

Bonesthedog
24-01-2007, 16:55
Rabid Bunny: Thank you, and yea, you are right about the fingers. Ill take an exacto to the round parts.

MaxORK: Of course i'm american! The bigger the better! Now where's my gun rack?

Son-of-sparda: Thank you. Tis the best kind of compliment to get.

Painting to come soon!

Boss_Salvage
24-01-2007, 18:34
The flamer-fist came out very nicely, and I like the guitar wire cabling too. Brain and all its hook-ups is looking solid too. Luck with painting!

- Salvage

Bonesthedog
25-01-2007, 02:26
Thanks, Boss. It's actually not guitar wire:

Modeling tip time!

Thin solder wire wrapped around thick solder wire. Fun for the whole family!

Thanks for the compliments

Vimes
25-01-2007, 11:16
That Dread is awsome:D
O.K. subscribed:)

jasevx
25-01-2007, 11:19
anychance of a foto with the lid down?

Huw_Dawson
25-01-2007, 12:30
*Dies due to the pure awsomeness of the dreadnought*

AWSOMENESS!!

- Huw

Bonesthedog
01-07-2007, 10:21
Well folks, after a long hiatus where I was unable to work on 40k, I'm back in action. I've brought you pics of my (mostly) finished dread. He still has touchup work left on him, but I really couldn't wait to share. He took a long time to paint, but I am satisfied with it thus far.

First off, a front shot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00296.jpg

Then of the back (really liked my grimy metal on the legs)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00300.jpg

Then we have him with the top up (the hinge is fully functional)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00303.jpg

Still have to fix mistakes, and maybe add something to the base.

Now, for those of you who are new to my thread (it's been a good 5 months) I suggest you read back from the start if you like what you see. I can also promise that there will be more where this came from. I'm debating right now If i want to start the 2 Venerable dreads, or move on to plain ol' marines.

P.S. I suppose this needs to be moved to the sci-fi section, what with the newfangled organizational stuff.

Thanks for looking, and I'm back, baby!

Rogue Trader
01-07-2007, 10:55
thats a cool conversion, i love the brain and the sarcoughagus being able to lift up, the triple flamers is cool aswell, keep it up :D :D

Damokles
01-07-2007, 12:55
what's the name of this beast? "the compensator"? ;)

Endemion
01-07-2007, 13:38
Love that dread conversion - excellent brainy goodness

Arhalien
01-07-2007, 13:51
That's insane!!!! (but good ;))

Vimes
01-07-2007, 20:58
Bonesthedog, here i have to quote myself at the moment i saw that dread "naked"=unpainted and now painted:

That Dread is awsome:D
O.K. subscribed:)
And it still stands:)

Bonesthedog
02-07-2007, 05:30
Rogue Trader: Thanks for the kind words, I liked the idea of the close combat weapon and the flamer being integrated into one killy attachment.

Damokles: That wouldn't be a bad name! Of course, I suppose when all you have is a disembodied brain and a couple of organs in a jar you need to compensate for alot :p

Endemion & Arhelien: Thanks you guys :)

Vimes: Thanks for stickin with my thread, man. I'm sorry it took me 5 months to get back to you! :D

Next up fellers, are a 10 man squad of tactical. I'm only brainstorming at the moment, but I'm defiantly going for the feel that these men are HEAVY. No leaping up in the air or dancing on their bases, only a slow, advancing, bullet & scratch ridden group of giant super soldiers. Probably will add a little truescale. Updates to come soon (ish).

Thanks for looking!

de Selby
02-07-2007, 13:37
Hey, this log is back. The dread looks insane, well done.
Looking forward to more of this madness.

what's the name of this beast? "the compensator"? ;)

Ho ho ho.

brother alinski
02-07-2007, 13:50
hay looking really good

Bonesthedog
04-07-2007, 09:50
Got a question folks: If I'm looking to get the following list of items:

30 Chaos warrior legs (for doghouse conversions)
2 Meltaguns
1 Vindicator
40 Beakie heads
4 Powerfists

Would I be better of doing a trade here on warseer, or is there a bitz site I could get that cheap on?

Since I think I'm going to do doghouse conversions on my tacticals, and need parts from that list to keep working, I'm gonna brainstorm my second dreadnought and think of ideas on that one.

If you have any ideas, let me know....no conversion is too insane (i think you all know that at this point :) )

spikyjames
04-07-2007, 10:30
try trading here first then when you think you wont get any further try online bits people. i'd hold off on the vindicator for a while if i were you.

james

Master Bait
05-07-2007, 05:02
your models conflict with my sense of aesthetics - i'm sorry but they all look goofy

.. but having said that, you've created the kind of army i would love, and have immense fun playing against :D well done sir, your tenacity and dedication to seeing these projects through to completion is comendable. and your painting is pretty decent too

Bonesthedog
08-07-2007, 23:29
Thanks, Master Bait, and i respect your right to think that....because they are kinda silly and exaggerated!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91787
Please, if you have chaos fantasy warrior legs, or beakie heads, hit me up in my trade thread, I need them to keep the 'stravaganza going.

Also, what force of chaos marines would the fire hawks fight? I'm working on having a dread crush a chaos marine, but I dont know historically, what chapter they should be warring with.

Updates soon (ish)

Son-Of-Sparda
09-10-2007, 18:47
Crikey. After a long absence on my part, I return to find this beauty all-a-finished! Congrats man, one sweet model!