PDA

View Full Version : Whats next?

UnRiggable
07-07-2005, 23:28
I know theyre making a new supplement, but heres two questions that mightve been asked before.
1. What is it called?
2. When is it due?

....Or are they making a new rulebook?

Baggers
08-07-2005, 12:57
well next up is the new rulebook and mines or moria box set. following that there are compendium books which will detail the scenarions in all three novels and films. finally they are working on a Mirkwood supplement and a Easterling based supplement

UnRiggable
08-07-2005, 15:01
looks like theyre fresh out of ideas...

Baggers
08-07-2005, 17:24
Not really. It all looks rather exicting

Brother Frog
08-07-2005, 19:26
looks like theyre fresh out of ideas...

It's unofficially known as the "Boromir on horse" period. That is, we've not got anything to release at the moment (and have to wait until the next big release), so here's a few random figures... ;)

boogle
08-07-2005, 19:29
i see you have returned to the fold BF, how are things going?

Brother Frog
08-07-2005, 21:31
i see you have returned to the fold BF, how are things going?

Well, I'm sort of here, and sort of not. Still officially insane though. ;)

Hoshi No Koe
08-07-2005, 23:09
There was also a rumour they might want to do a last alliance supplement some day.

Am I correct?

boogle
09-07-2005, 09:13
that is the rumour alongside the Easterling supplement

Shadowheart
09-07-2005, 10:36
A Last Alliance supplement seems a certainty, question is just when to expect it.

I'm very happy with the "Boromir on horse" in-between periods. It's good to see GW going back and filling the holes, it improves the range as a whole. It means they're not going to end up like Sideshow/Weta and leave collectors with lots of stuff missing. ([/bitter])

Brandir
10-07-2005, 09:52
Welcome back Brother Frog.

I was under the impression that the following was the provisional release schedule:

Oct 05: New core book and Mines of Moria starter set
Nov 05: FOTR supplement
Mar 06: Shadows in the East supplement
Sep 06: TTT supplement
Mar 07: Mirkwood
Sep 07: ROTK supplement
Nov 08: The Hobbit SBG (pencilled in as Dec 08 is the probable release date of the film)

I have also heard a little rumour that the success of BO5A has resulted in GW looking at producing more box sets for various famous battles in Middle-earth.

Brother Frog
10-07-2005, 12:13
Thanks for the welcome - it's most appreciated. :)

The dates you've listed are pretty much as I remember. What I mean by the "Boromir on horse period" is that GW have nothing major to release until their Winter release (Moria/new rulebook), so they're releasing odd pieces that appear briefly in the films but are of limited use. This was successfully highlighted after (if I remember correctly) FotR had been out for about nine months, they've still got three months to the next box game release, so they fish around for really odd minis to release...

Baggers
10-07-2005, 12:42
I was under the impression that PJ was not going to be starting the Hobbit till 2008 as he has another film he is going to be working on.

Brandir
10-07-2005, 13:12
I was under the impression that PJ was not going to be starting the Hobbit till 2008 as he has another film he is going to be working on.

In an interview he said that he was still hoping that the two rights holders (one owns the rights to make it, another the rights to distribute it) the earliest the film would be ready would be Dec 2007 but he believed that everything would be sorted for a 2008 release. One of the reasons that a film of The Hobbit would be relatively easy tomake is that Weta (which Jackson owns/has a large stake in I believe) kept all the props and sets. Jackson's team has also a vast library of potential locations and a very willing New Zealand government. Essentially much of the preparatory work has been done. It is also strongly rumoured that Jackson even has a script and agreements from actors to appear in the film (didn't McKellern publically state he had discussed the role of Gandalf in The Hobbit with Jackson?).

Enough waffling.

I believe that the Mirkwood supplement concentrates on the Lothlórien/Dol Guldor area vice Northern Mirkwood (which has been left until The Hobbit comes along).

Am I correct? Who knows? Who cares?

Baggers
10-07-2005, 13:43
Well from what i have read he is going to be working on another film between King Kong and the Hobbit for a release between Summer to Winter 2007. This film being The Lovely Bones. With the Hobbit coming two years after that.

boogle
11-07-2005, 09:37
any idea what the TTT and ROTK supplements will be?

Brandir
11-07-2005, 09:43
The TTT and ROTK supplements will be like the FOTR supplement.

Scenarios based on the book and films along with hobby advice. I'm pretty certain there will be no new stats in these books.

Those hoping for completely new scenarios only will be disappointed. I understand each supplement will basically contain all the previously published scenarios related to each book and a few extras (such as Warg Attack for FOTR supplement).

Baggers
11-07-2005, 12:21
I think the TTT supplement will contain the stats for Theodred as I am sure I heard there might be the Fords of Isen in the book.

Shadowheart
11-07-2005, 12:56
Shouldn't Theodred be in the new basic rulebook then? I thought the idea was to have all the movie stats (plus some book stuff apparently) in one place. Even if Theodred won't be released outside of BGiME they could still put the stats in there.

I assume that the FotR supplement's scenarios won't be mere copy & paste jobs. They ought to rework them where appropriate to take into account the way the rules have changed since the original scenarios were written.

Brandir
11-07-2005, 13:05
I said no new stats - the stats for Théodred will be in BGinME next week.

I am under the impression that the FOTR/TTT/ROTK supplements will be cut and paste jobs.

Shadowheart
11-07-2005, 13:27
That sounds like the GW I know, blowing oppurtunities like that. :rolleyes:

boogle
11-07-2005, 15:25
it seems it would give them an excuse to release the BGIME models through these supplements

boogle
11-07-2005, 16:50
i have a feeling we'll be seeing Hama and Theodred in a blister together, Ugluk and maybe a random Uruk Hai blistered together

whte_rbt.obj
12-07-2005, 23:19
i have a feeling we'll be seeing Hama and Theodred in a blister together, Ugluk and maybe a random Uruk Hai blistered together

Hama would be good, but if they do Ugluk I hope they keep the old model they released once with BBIME :).

boogle
12-07-2005, 23:27
that woudl be an idea, Hama has also been released through BGIME, so i would guess that Ugluk would be the BGIMe one if/when he is released through mainstream channels

mfv
19-07-2005, 19:34
Will they(GW) do a Grond the wolf headed B.ram? And if not has anyone else ever made 1?

Brandir
19-07-2005, 19:54
I was under the impression that Forgeworld were going to produce a model of Grond.

Brother Frog
19-07-2005, 23:45
Will they(GW) do a Grond the wolf headed B.ram? And if not has anyone else ever made 1?

Think about how expensive it would be! This thing has mass transport capabilities for Trolls! Check out the Siege of Gondor bit in RotK to remind yourself how huge this thing is (it's another excuse to watch it again). ;)

Brandir
20-07-2005, 08:12
The Siege of Gondor would be a perfect battle to feature in the 'Famous Battles of Middle-earth' series of self copntained box 10mm games.

I can only hope.

boogle
20-07-2005, 08:39
Grond could well be a FW sculpt in the future (after all, thats their market)

Brother Frog
20-07-2005, 09:24
Grond could well be a FW sculpt in the future (after all, thats their market)

Overpriced resin minis? Yep, that's FW alright.

Baggers
20-07-2005, 10:24
I was alwaysa under the impression that Grond was never to be made becasue of the size and the pratacalities of using it in a game as well.

Brandir
20-07-2005, 10:30
But it would be a perfect model for 10mm scale battles

Baggers
20-07-2005, 10:46
That is true, however there is at the moment no 10mm game for it to go with. Yes I know there is battle of the five armies, but I mean a game set around the Pellanor Fields.

Brandir
20-07-2005, 10:56
But has anyone heard any whispers of whether the Great Battles of Middle-earth, started so well with BO5A, will continue?

Imagine:

Siege of Gondor
Battle of the Pelennor Fields
Helm's Deep
Siege of Mordor
Battle of Dagorlad
Battle of Azanulbizar
Battle of Dale/Erebor
Battle of Fornost
Battle of BywaterBattle of Greenfields

and many others.

can't wait.

Brother Frog
20-07-2005, 19:05
But has anyone heard any whispers of whether the Great Battles of Middle-earth, started so well with BO5A, will continue?

To quote a GW memo (and a little paraphrasing), it really doesn't matter if Bo5A sells out or not - it's already paid for itself as it was both a chance to keep the Tolkien Enterprises license alive (as it hinged on producing a seperate battle game from the film based one), and also gave them an excuse to use the new plastic mold technology.

The memo is so dismissive of the product (and hinted how it was to be thrown out from the studio quickly) that I lost ALL interest in purchasing it.

Shameful.

GamesmasterZ
22-07-2005, 19:09
Shameful indeed.

I really wish GW would do something that makes the game more exciting.
Maybe ummm...lowering the prices...

UnRiggable
24-07-2005, 02:09
yea...like i stopped buying things from them because they are expensive. i like painting em, and i figured painting is painting, so i started buying these models cars which are about the size of trebuchet and cost 15 bucks(7 or 8 pounds for you englandeers) eh, what are you going to do?

Ares
05-08-2005, 05:36
There was also a rumour they might want to do a last alliance supplement some day.

Does this mean that they will be resculpting the current High Elf range as they are out of preportion to the rest of model range. As they are short & very skinny?
Ive been dying to start up an HE party but looking at the ones i recieved in the BoME packs.... well im a patient man.

Mikhaila
05-08-2005, 07:00
The sad thing about Battle of Five armies, was that no one told the people at the studio in charge of it, that it was a throw away product. They actually produced a darn nice game, with decent minis, a ton of them, and a very attractive package. They could have produced 10x the number of sets that they did, and it would have sold very well. Someone really messed up on it. I hope that they wise up on it, and do another run, then use the same technology to expand into the other big battles in middle earth.

Baggers
05-08-2005, 12:43
Does this mean that they will be resculpting the current High Elf range as they are out of preportion to the rest of model range. As they are short & very skinny?
Ive been dying to start up an HE party but looking at the ones i recieved in the BoME packs.... well im a patient man.

I am not sure if there will be rescuplts (and what is wrong I like them) there will be new models of something or other.

rkunisch
05-08-2005, 14:16
The sad thing about Battle of Five armies, was that no one told the people at the studio in charge of it, that it was a throw away product. They actually produced a darn nice game, with decent minis, a ton of them, and a very attractive package. They could have produced 10x the number of sets that they did, and it would have sold very well. Someone really messed up on it. I hope that they wise up on it, and do another run, then use the same technology to expand into the other big battles in middle earth.
I am not so sure. The set is still listed as In Stock in the UK Online Store. As it was a single production run, they still have packages left. It was a welcome add-on for the Warmaster players out there, though.

Personally I did not like it very much. I made the experience with my try into Warmaster - the minis are simply to small for my hands to paint them in a decent way. Some of the minis look good, but most of them did not fit my taste. If I recreate one of the larger battles it will be in 28mm scale. :evilgrin:

Have fun,

Rolf.

Paddy
10-08-2005, 15:49
I am not sure if there will be rescuplts (and what is wrong I like them) there will be new models of something or other.

Perhaps Elf Cavalry? :confused:

Baggers
10-08-2005, 16:48
No the Elf Cavalry were only there as a tentative idea that you can use with your oppenent permission nothing more nothing less. There never will be models for them.

Brandir
10-08-2005, 16:58
I was alwaysa under the impression that Grond was never to be made becasue of the size and the pratacalities of using it in a game as well.

No Grond model available?

http://www.thomarillion.de/bilder/grond/grond2.jpg

From a company called Thomarillion (http://www.thomarillion.de/index.php?seite=katalog&sprache=gb_&modell=grond&pos=2&PHPSESSID=b4136c083cbb067a5351908fe0c85ca9)

erion
10-08-2005, 17:46
No the Elf Cavalry were only there as a tentative idea that you can use with your oppenent permission nothing more nothing less. There never will be models for them.

never say never.

Baggers
10-08-2005, 22:35
Also Brandit one of the guys at Warhammer World scuplted one for Games Day last year. It still does not mean that GW will ever release one. There is no pratical reason to release one now is there.

Major Thom
11-08-2005, 13:19
I can hear the crying and see the wringing of hands now from the 40K and WFB players if they did. That would almost reason enough for them to do it.