PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of a different game?

UnRiggable
08-07-2005, 02:08
well, i got dow thinking it would be a strategy game...it wasnt. you need six or seven squads of anything and ur good. now theres an expansion w/ imperal guard. doesnt anybody else agree that it isnt a strategy game?

Cypher
08-07-2005, 02:16
Any RTS can become a tank rush type of game if you want it to be. I feel DoW gets around this through things such as morale, as well as the broadly different functionality of some units. Sure it does end up being an all in brawl at times, but good balance of forces, and effective use of units, can and does make a difference.

UnRiggable
08-07-2005, 03:15
but its stupid how once you get some upgrades and several squads, you can win. not variety or antitank/antiair required

neXus6
08-07-2005, 06:11
I'm just not that great a fan of the rushing element built into the game. You are forced to grab points fast and expand your forces, my average game length online was something like 16 minutes. I remember playing Age of Empires II for over 3 hours online in one game before I got killed.

True there are far to many simple tactics that work. Massed plasma marines for example, massed possessed, not to mention defilers. There really is no skill in the game, all you need to do is perfect a build order and you win 90% of the time. Which I admit can be fun if your only playing it a day a month.

Kensai X
08-07-2005, 06:49
That's why I can't wait for Imperial Guard... If you've been reading about them you'll see that they're the ultimate defense in the game and once I amuculate enough tanks, meatshields, and other assorted goodies lead them to victory... or more likely utter annihalation... Whichever works.

Archaon
09-07-2005, 05:14
But to accumulate the ressources for that you have to move out and grab ressource points. The enemy will do the same and you end up defending your ressource points or taking the enemies' and voila..you have the rush style gameplay many dislike.

Cuddle up in your corner and you will be annihilated by a vastly superior force.

neXus6
09-07-2005, 05:22
Yeah if you can spread an inpenetrable defence across more than 50% of the capture locations (and have defences linking them all) then you'll be able to do it.
:rolleyes:

I must say that tech games are the only time I would condone playing Quickstart, if you play quickstart with several good players you can have an incredibly fun game. People who play quickstart all the time "cause it's easier" are just rubbish, but decent players teching up then having a huge tactical battle is incredibly fun, if done on the odd occation to break the typical rush rush rush.

Xisor
09-07-2005, 07:14
neXus6, that would be like the 'nr10' or 'nr20' games of Starcraft, ie 'no rush'(no attacking) for 10-20 minutes, allowing 'build time strategy' to be less singularly crucial to the outcome of the game?

Sounds good, I should really try DoW online...

Xisor

worldshatterer
09-07-2005, 09:38
Forgive me for perhaps being stupid, but i thought most real time strategy games could basically be boiled down into
you need six or seven squads of anything and ur good?

Dawn of War can not be blamed for a fundamental flaw in the genre itself .

Chuffy
09-07-2005, 11:58
Look your playing a video game of WARHAMMER 40,000.

When do tactics come into it?

:rolleyes:

neXus6
09-07-2005, 17:17
There are only two tactics, rush and tech.
lol...thats more tactics that the tabletop game.
;) :p

Karloth Valois
10-07-2005, 19:23
It is true that being good at DoW is almsot entirely based around build order / unit selection rather than micromanagement.

Because most units are shooting units and DoW's terrain largely doesn't affect the game much apart from a few pathetic craters which provide cover, unit positioning isn't really that important, compared to other games anyway.

Also the fact you control entire squads at a time means there isn't that much chance for really good micromanagement to affect the game outcome too much either. Most of the time its simply a case of moving units a little and right clicking to attack.

DoW is an awesome game but playing it online does get boring after a while. Basically its based around unit selection and build order, micromanagement which often is what seperates good players from top / professional players in most strategy games plays an unfortunately small role in the game.

DoW is lots of fun, but it can't beat Warcraft/Starcraft or Rome:TW for truly great online play really.

Chuffy
11-07-2005, 09:15
RTWs online play is abysmal, the main problem is that normal Rome is really bad, bugged up, messed up economy system, fantasy units and the battle system is so bad sometimes. RTR, SPQR and EB all go some ways to fix this (SPQR especially) but as far as I know you can't really play the Mods online.

But yeah, mod your Rome up, get RTR!

Starkey
12-07-2005, 14:13
DOW is a great game.

The only major flaw with it is that the AI is very basic. They do the samething everytime

Hopefully in the expansion they will make it hard and more challenging