PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms

Zanzibarthefirst
04-12-2006, 10:30
Are these guys any good? I'm wanting to start a new army and they look like an esay army to collect since they are so few in numbers but i've read one battle report and they got mashed. I'm likely to be fighting empire or orcs

kyussinchains
04-12-2006, 10:42
I love em, but they're not the most intrinsically powerful army around, expect to get beaten a fair amount while you figure them out.

www.theogrestronghold.com has some good advice

my personal advice is like this

-bulls work best naked in units of 4
-ironguts are excellent, as many as you can afford in units of 4
-maneaters work well in units of 2, both with cathayan longswords
-leadbelchers are expensive and although potentially devastating, not reliable enough to be included in every army
-gnoblars are useful but not essential
-butchers can be equipped with magical weapons, and work very well as heroes
-yhetees are fantastic flankers
-hunters are fun, and the tusks are great at hunting down wizards
-tyrants are powerhouses but after a few games, your opponents will learn to steer well clear
-the thudermace is well worth the risk of missing
-gorgers are an absolute bargain

good luck!

Zanzibarthefirst
04-12-2006, 10:51
I was thinking of getting the battalion and a hunter, what woud be the best direction to go from then

kyussinchains
04-12-2006, 10:58
I'd only build up 2 of the leadbelchers as leadbelchers, you should have enough parts to make 2 of them into bulls

you need a brusier/tyrant as a general, a butcher would also be worth getting, use the hunter as a bruiser/tyrant at first and get a bucher ASAP

Zanzibarthefirst
04-12-2006, 11:13
so i'll buy a tyrant instead of a hunter then.

Whats with the leadbelchers? what are their weapons like?

kyussinchains
04-12-2006, 12:19
their weapons are very unpredictable

they have a random number of shots (between 2 and 10) but also can misfire, this causes hits on the unit, which if you're unlucky can kill off the unit.

when they get a decent number of shots off, they're devastating, they suffer no modifiers for moving or long range, and 3 of them can often muster 25+ armour piercing shots (against large targets they're even nastier)

however, they cannot fire again until they spend an entire turn stationary, so their rate of fire is very low, they only have a 12" range, and they are very expensive (55 points each, compared to 35 for a regular bull)

on average they arent that great, 2 leadbelchers will usually get 14 shots off, which is alright, but not totally devastating.

They ARE pretty tough in combat, but no tougher than regular bulls.

they work well as a deterrent unit, but dont rely on them to win the game or anything

Zanzibarthefirst
04-12-2006, 13:49
do gnoblars do anything?

JonnyTHM
04-12-2006, 14:07
They block line of sight, they provide rank bonuses if you can get them into combat, they claim/contest table quarters for dirt cheap points, trappers can scout and therefore march block or attack war machines (no guarantee they'll kill the crew, but they should be able to at least tie it up), they run scraplaunchers which are ridiculously painful if you fail your lookoutsir rolls.

DontMessWithHashut
04-12-2006, 14:09
Im a noob at warhammer fantasy I play Chaos Dwarfs but my friend who plays orcs was helping me a bit and I got owned by Ogres in mele combat

One thing that sucks aout ogres is they take one turn to reload there ledbelchers

t-tauri
04-12-2006, 14:46
Ya meh da orc friend meh tink ogers are a good start if ya like bashing eadz up close dey good in melee combat meh actually hav leadbelchers in meh army da only downfall to leadbelchers iz dey need 1 turn to reload afta dey shoot

Please read your private messages. You've already been warned about in character speech outside the RP forums and spamming. Please read your pms at top right and the posting guidelines otherwise you are going to find yourself banned from Warseer and not realise why.

t-tauri

The Warseer Inquisition