PDA

View Full Version : Bow of Seafarer and Str

EldarRaven
04-12-2006, 13:34
Hello all I have a question about the Bow of Seafarer and the str of the attack it uses. It saids that it is like a longbow and the only thing is that it treats the HIT like a bolt thrower not the damage, str, or wounds. We were talking about this and based on how it is worded it sounds like it is only str 3 not str 6. Can someone explain to me why it would be Str 6 and if there is any FAQs out there that tell you or any other information? If you read the rules for the Reaver Bow and compare them to the Seafarer you can understand where this confusion comes from.

Bloodknight
04-12-2006, 15:07
It´s S6 as it refers to the rulebook entry of Bolt Throwers, which are S6.
I can´t see how it would be worded in a way that implies that it´s not S6 with D3 wounds.

T10
04-12-2006, 15:34
The wording is somewhat ambiguous and can be argued either way.

Around here we figured the relatively high cost of the item justified treating it as a long bow (range 30", one shot per round, move-and-fire permitted) with the exception of treating each hit as a hit from a regular bolt thrower (S6, no armour save and penetration through ranks).

Edit: And the hit is if course magical.

-T10

EldarRaven
04-12-2006, 16:09
Thanks guys. I see that you would be right about the entry on the bolt thrower, but also the fact of wording also throws it out as being worse then it is.

Griefbringer
05-12-2006, 07:10
The wording states "Resolve a hit from this like a single bolt from the bolt thrower".

So essentially, you treat it like a longbow until it hits something, and then you resolve the effects of the hit as if it had been bolt thrower.

eleveninches
05-12-2006, 08:08
give this to a lord on an eagle, and you can shoot down an entire cavalry rank, effectively destroying almost an entire cavalry unit in one shot. Works very well, I do it a lot of the time

exsulis
23-12-2006, 20:46
Edit: And the hit is if course magical.

The problem I have with arrows hitting from a magical bow being counted as magical attacks is that they are just arrows, and the wood elf book has a section of magical arrows which count as magical attacks.

T10
23-12-2006, 23:27
I seem to recall the magical arrows in question being Enchanted Items. As such it is polite of GW to specify that their use qualifies as magical attacks.

-T10

WarWolf
23-12-2006, 23:43
All hits from magical items ARE magical attacks, ergo, Bow of Seafarer shoots ARE magical attacks.
And Wood Elfs have sapparet magical arrows, which can be shot from regular (common) bow and as well ARE magical attacks.

exsulis
24-12-2006, 02:21
In fact there is no place in the BRB that states that all attacks from a magical weapon are magical. Even the Wood Elf book makes mention that firing a bow with non-magical arrows has different effects than firing a bow with a magical arrows.

It goes to intent verses what people pull from the book. Yes, magical melee weapons are actually hitting an opponet verses an object being launched from a magical bow/cannon. Dwarf Cannons aren't magical until you put runes on them that state that attacks count as magical.

Now as the High Elf book states "Treat the Bow of the Seafaraer as a normal longbow" and acts like a Bolt Thrower(was just being lazy, and didn't feel like quoting the whole passage).

In addition the Empire book has the Dragon Bow which "Hits count as magical attacks."

In the End I'd say its between you and your opponent on how you want to apply this. If you can't come to a consensus then roll off, or if you are at a gaming event ask the Organizer on how they want to apply it. Just remember that different Organizers will have different views on the same rules depending on how they read them.

TKitch, please read the previous posts, or the rule books being quoted if your going to post. The post about the BRB not having a written section stating that all magic weapons count as magical was a reply to WarWolf, and has no bearing on the sword of striking as I've stated above(its a magical melee attack that is in fact hitting its foe, and not using a secondary item to hit).

Yes, a cannon in itself is mundane as is a regular bow but when you add a rune/magic arrows their attacks count as magical(its stated in their rules). The reason WE have arrows in a separate section is to allow a person to choose both a magic arrow, and a magical bow for a character. Even the wood elf book makes mention of firing mundane arrows verse magical arrows hence there is a difference. Finally, there are magical bows that state they in fact count as magical attacks all of which the Seafarer bow does not, and rather clearly states counts a "Normal" longbow.

TKitch
25-12-2006, 04:39
but your dwarf cannon is a quite mundane warmachine. It isn't magical.

A "Magical Lngbow" from the Magic ITems section, probably is magical. If you say the seafarer bow isn't magical since they don't specify it is, prove to me that a sword of might is magical.

edit: As for the WE arrows, that's cuz they're fired from mundane bows, not magic ones.