PDA

View Full Version : Cookiescrumble's two and a half week Necron Project log.

cookiescrumble
04-12-2006, 20:09
Yep, well thats the plan anyway.

Before Christmas, i want to be able to play with a fully painted Necron army. I want at least 1500pts painted, but plan to go for 2000pts fully painted.

This log will hopefully follow the army through. I got all the stuff i need this morning, apart from the missing Necron Warriors which Games Workshop are sending to me.

The plan is to go for a good looking colour scheme, that is quick and easy to paint. I am gonna try out the Brazen Brass/Tin Bitz scheme in the Necron Codex.
The bases will combine bits from the Hero basing kits and the urban basing kits released a while ago.

Heres a piccie of the stuff to build and paint:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0033.jpg

There are 3 Battle Forces there, and the white boxes are the blisters, which will give me:

A Necron Lord

8 Pariahs

8 Immortals

10 Flayed ones.

I'm gonna make a start tommorow, and with Vets out the window till the new year i should get a fair amount done. Check back for updates tommorow.

Melchiah
04-12-2006, 20:15
Ya bring on death but killer bots. Im loving it.

Tom
04-12-2006, 20:23
Pin your pariahs. That's all I need say.

However, what I'd like to say is:

Necrons have a historyof being viewed as something rather boring. Possibly an unwarranted bad rep, but it's possibly more the belief- indeed truth- that they don't have a great degree of customisation. Indeed, it's pretty much only the Lord, and then what units you want. And Lords are almost always kitted out similarly.

Glad, indeed, almost infinitely so, for your different-from-silver colour scheme (though I have a silver army myself, IWIW). That's the first thing to make it stand out. Also it looks from your choices of blister that you're, thank god, looking at a bigger variety than most tend to go for (the infamous Lord, 3 units Immortals, Warriors, 3 units Destroyers, possible Monolith army of you'll be asleep byturn two). A very blnd army isn't fun to play against, and it sure as hell isn't fun to play with.

Good luck, anyway. Let's see that rarest of entities, that you only ever tend to see online. An interesting, fun looking Necron army.

cookiescrumble
04-12-2006, 20:26
Thats exactly what i am going for, an army that is different from the norm.

I also have 2 Tomb spyders on order, they should be with me soon as they were out of stock.

Tom
04-12-2006, 20:32
Strange, don't often see Tomb Spyders out of stock. They're a lot of fun, too. And the only monstrous creature you can have in Combat Patrol, too (Not sure if they can make scarabs in it though).

Remember, if you're going for a fun/different army, never, ever take anyone else's advice on it unless it's background-based. Your army, your rules.

(Though, hypocritically, have you considered Heavy Destroyers to finish out the unit selections available*?)

And what is it with Warseer and Pompey suppoters, seriously? It's because you're set for Europe next year, isn't it?

*C'tan don't exist. I deny their being.

cookiescrumble
04-12-2006, 20:39
I'll probably get a trio of Heavy Destroyers and Wraiths in the new year. Maybe even the two C'tan.

Brush your teeth
04-12-2006, 20:40
every thing sounds good, just waiting to see the mini's rolling out painted now :)

good luck with the project

kermit
04-12-2006, 20:54
"You can do eeet!"

My first "professional" comission army was Necrons. It took me a week and a half to pretty much paint up what you have there (No Pariahs and no flayed ones, but 2 C'tans).

I had a good time painting them. They are certainly an army that makes you feel really good about getting things accomplished because of the ease of painting.

No need to wish you good luck as I see you being about to get this done with out much worry!

(I will keep tabs though...!)

LemonPotato
04-12-2006, 21:34
He should be able to get the army done in time easily, and if he starts to lag behind I will make sure I give him a good kick up the backside.

Other than that I think the idea is really good, I would consider getting some wraiths though as they are my favourite necron unit out of the book.

Good Luck,

LemonPotato

spikyjames
04-12-2006, 23:18
i like this current trend of people setting deadlines, give you something to aim for a people will help keep you motivated.

looking forward to seeing these getting done, i might even do an army of these myself someday.

james:)

Maus
04-12-2006, 23:35
I dunno, my deadline is to have "an army" of 1000-2000pts, by the end of 2007.

A lofty goal, I think you'll agree, but I'm up for the challenge!

McMullet
05-12-2006, 10:51
2 and a half weeks? :eyebrows:

Last time you finished the army in a week... :p

Sounds like an interesting scheme, anyway. What colours will you use for trim?

Good luck!

firestorm40k
05-12-2006, 11:36
i like this current trend of people setting deadlines, give you something to aim for a people will help keep you motivated.

looking forward to seeing these getting done, i might even do an army of these myself someday.

I dunno, my deadline is to have "an army" of 1000-2000pts, by the end of 2007.

A lofty goal, I think you'll agree, but I'm up for the challenge!

As someone who is currently doing a similar thing (see link in sig! :D ), I'll say 'good luck' to Cookiescrumble on this; and I'd encourage anyone to try it - it's so easy to lose interest and get distracted by other armies, so as an excercise in discipline it's highly recommended. Not to mention that you get an army to play with in a short space of time! :D

Funnily enough, whilst speed-painting my 'Nids I've been thinking of doing another speed-paint army: either Chaos Marines, or Necrons, coincidentally ;)

Calgar
05-12-2006, 13:09
3 battle forces.....AAARRGGHHH........*dies*:eek:

cookiescrumble
05-12-2006, 14:20
Other than that I think the idea is really good, I would consider getting some wraiths though as they are my favourite necron unit out of the book.

In the new year, when the army is done i'll probably get some wraiths (probably just a unit of 3), a Heavy Destroyer unit (again probably 3) and both of the C'tan. This will give me one of every unit available in the book. Isn't that cool!?!

Just to make me look bad :( ...

... I'm sure you'll give them a better paint job than i will ;) .

2 and a half weeks?

Last time you finished the army in a week...

Sounds like an interesting scheme, anyway. What colours will you use for trim?

Good luck!

Last time i had no other commitments, now i have more hours at work and Uni takes up most of my time. Saying that though, only a week and a bit and i start my Xmas break (3 weeks of nothing but painting :cool: ). As for the trim......

.... you'll see when i post my Test minis up. I have got a destroyer and a warrior done. I'm at Uni at the moment so no models and no camera.:cries:
Actually should have my lord finished tonight, so i'll put some piccies of him up aswell.

As for the final deadline, i have a game arranged for the 23rd December. I want the army finished for then.

I have also toyed around with making this my GT army for next year, "yeah dude, you might have starcannons. But i have a res orb MWHUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" I'll probably bring it along to carnage in February to playtest the army, thats if everyone isn't sick of seeing necrons!!

cookiescrumble
05-12-2006, 20:48
An update, as promised. Here are some pictures, not the best. They were taken after a game against LemonPotatos grey knights. I lost the game, but learnt alot from it. The monolith was awesome, as were the destroyers and immortals. I got really unlucky, failing two successive leadership tests, losing 2 warrior units and my lord.

Heres the pictures, first the warrior. This should give an idea of the colour scheme.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0035.jpg

A destroyer, this needs finishing.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0039.jpg

The monolith, this wasn't as bad as i thought to assemble.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/DSCF0043.jpg

dave is the best
05-12-2006, 20:50
cool i like your colour sceme.

Dave

Getifa Ubazza
05-12-2006, 21:12
I really like your paint scheme, will be interested in seeing full squads done.

Keep up the good work.

lee
06-12-2006, 18:41
looking good paul hope you get the army done:p

chunk
08-12-2006, 21:02
Looking good so far, how you doing on that deadline now?

I'll be around on saturday (no surprise) so I can take some pictures for you if you like.

Play up pompey!

-Mysterious
08-12-2006, 22:08
Those are really nice necrons, could you please explain how you did the base's?

cookiescrumble
09-12-2006, 10:26
Looking good so far, how you doing on that deadline now?

I'll be around on saturday (no surprise) so I can take some pictures for you if you like.

Play up pompey!

I'll be down aswell, to build some warriors. I'll take some better pictures when i have finished what i have started.

Those are really nice necrons, could you please explain how you did the base's?

I'll do a Tutorial later.

liamrob
10-12-2006, 03:25
Nice colour scheme. Most people just go for the dull plain silver. Fav one i seen is similar to urs.

Keep up the good work.

cookiescrumble
10-12-2006, 14:19
Well heres how i did the bases, if you want anymore pics then ask. I'll post some more when i do the other destroyers bases.

Construction:

For the large destroyer bases, i find it better to roughen the surface. Take a file and scratch the top. Insert the flying rod, but do not glue this in. Using superglue, glue on any slate and resin pieces. Some resin pieces need to be filed down on the bottom, as they have a ridge round the edge. Take some PVA glue, and add a drop of water, this helps it to spread over the surface. Cover the whole base in this. Taking the small slate, from the basing kits, take a pinch and sprinkle over the base. Shake off any excess. After this cover the whole base in sand, this should stick in the spaces left between the slate. Take out the middle rod, and wipe off the glue. Leave to dry and then undercoat black.

Painting:

Taking a large brush, water down some Scorched Brown and apply this over the base. Leave the larger slate pieces black. When this is dry it is simply a case of drybrushing Bestial brown, followed by Bleached bone. The bone pieces are painted in the same way. Paint the edges of the base Scorched brown. The larger slate pieces are then painted Codex grey, when dry, drybrush with Fortress grey followed by Skull White.

Flocking:

Take some watered down PVA and apply it where you want the grass to be. I like quite a bit on my bases, also concentrate on any areas that haven't been covered properly. I use the GW static grass, but any grass should be OK. After this pull off small clumps of clump foliage and glue these in place. They good near the slate.

Later, i'll post up how i painted the Necrons, plus some better pictures.

BlazeXI
10-12-2006, 15:34
Nice those Necrons. Exactly the way I'd like to paint them. just purchased my first Necron Lord, so maybe I'll start that army as well.

Scorpio
10-12-2006, 17:20
Yes Death by killer robots!
A very nice scheme. Finally different then the usual "silver death"

-Scorpio

ss_cherubael
10-12-2006, 17:33
i like the scheme but sadly i am opposed to necrons in any colour sorry...
still if you make your dead line good work if you dont, join the club...

cookiescrumble
12-12-2006, 09:16
Finally a real update. I have got 4 Warriors, the Lord, a Destroyer and a scarab swarm done. I am waiting on some Dullcote, before I insert the rods on the rest of the models. I am currently building another 32 Necron Warriors, I want to get the core of the army painted. I have nearly finished 3 more destroyers. I hope to get all these done by this time next week. Then it is just the immortals and the monlith to build and paint.

Heres some piccies:

The warriors:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0001.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0002.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0003.jpg

The Lord:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0004.jpg

cookiescrumble
12-12-2006, 09:18
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0006.jpg

Scarab swarms, once Sprayed with Dullcote, i'm gonna gloss coat the blue lens.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0009.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0012.jpg

The Destroyers bases:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0017.jpg

cookiescrumble
12-12-2006, 09:19
and the Destroyer:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0013.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/cookiescrumble/Necrons/DSCF0015.jpg

The blue on the weapons, is gonna be my way of doing squad markings. The next squad will be red.

Rich 123
12-12-2006, 09:43
They're looking good mate and you're making quick progress as well! Necrons must be good for that.

One thing that seems a bit out of sorts is the way you have chosen to show squad markings. Those cables you will paint for them seem to technical, that a part of the working machinery would probably stay consistent. But what if you painted the squad marking colours on the hexagon thingy on all their chests.

I'm not too familiar with the details of the Necron range but from the pictures all of the Necrons seem to have one and, as it is ornamentation might seem more appropriate for the squad markings.

Good luck with it all! Is this for Carnage then ?
Dicky

cookiescrumble
12-12-2006, 09:51
Good luck with it all! Is this for Carnage then ?
Dicky

For the February one maybe, but i'll be playing Fantasy for the one in March.

lee
12-12-2006, 19:41
looking very good paul;)

Arhalien
12-12-2006, 20:07
Nice scheme, and very well painted. keep it up!

bobert the great clen one
18-12-2006, 17:43
i here by ressurect this thread of great expectations to the living 1st page!!!!

HUZZAR HUZZAR HUZZAR!!

cookiescrumble
18-12-2006, 19:22
Well, a bit of a update.

The project has fallen behind schedule, this mainly being due to the effect Poly cement has on my mothers Asthma, meaning i haven't been able to assemble the bulk of the army. I have started with the metal models, the flayed ones are all cleaned up and i need to get some pinning materials to finish them.

I got my can of Dullcote through the post and have finished all the models i have started. The new deadline is to have this army finished before the new year. This week i have been able to take the models to my local GW and glue them together there. I have also been cleaning up some of my Orc and gobin stuff, to get ready for my next project log.

Gazak Blacktoof
18-12-2006, 22:09
Well this has inspired me to get off my ass and get my necrons finished. Looking great so far.

Is the skeleton on the base a warhammer miniature or something specifically made for basing models and dioramas?

jullevi
19-12-2006, 05:53
Is the skeleton on the base a warhammer miniature or something specifically made for basing models and dioramas?

It's from recently released Hero Basing Kit.

Astromarine
19-12-2006, 07:00
And also recently out of production. The bastards.

Cookie, congrats for finally making some necrons I can look at without falling asleep. :D

Did you think about getting any of the "classic" models from here (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301200&orignav=301117)? I don't think I've ever seen anyone using them, any idea how they match?

Rikkjourd
19-12-2006, 07:29
Those are some really nice necrons you got there! =) Just have a few comments, no offense intended.
1. As mentioned earlier, squad markings would feel more natural on more "traditional" areas, instead of on a technical part. This is just a minor thing though.
2. The green looks a bit flat on the larger areas. Maybe try to make a _slightly_ lighter shade of green and use on more areas than just the edges?
3. It may just be the pictures, but the metal looks like it could have just some more depth. Like leaving more black in the crevices and possibly putting a small highlight on the edges, much like you have done on the green areas.

All in all these are very nice gaming pieces, I would be happy to face this army. (nothing bugs me more than crap armies, just takes the mood (or whatever the suitable word is) out of the game).

Damn, you made me want a necron army! Just need to finish my SM first... and nidz... and empire, TK, chaos and goblins... DAMN!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the bases. Making good bases is also game enhancing. You did EXCELLENT bases.

cookiescrumble
19-12-2006, 08:49
Thanks for the comments guys. I have thought about the squad marking thingy, i decided to leave it for now. If it looks bad then it will be no problem to change them later.

The models look alot better now they have been Dullcoted, and had the green rods inserted.

I always put alot of effort into the bases, a good base completes a model.

OnnO
19-12-2006, 09:54
Wow that's weird, your warriors are nearly identical to mine...

http://ne.games-workshop.com/events/gt/report/gallery.asp

Its the fourth picture.
Funny thing is, mine were also a haste-job :)