PDA

View Full Version : Eye of Tzeentch.

Yellow Commissar
05-12-2006, 20:52
I don't have the HoC AB as I don't play Chaos, but my friends are playing this week, and the question has arisen...

Will the Eye afford a ward save to a model hit by the Salamanders Spout Flames special shooting attack?

I do have the Lizardmen AB, and the attack is not listed as a missle weopon. I'm not sure how the Eye of Tzeentch is written.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Gorbad Ironclaw
05-12-2006, 20:54
Yes, it would. It's a shooting attack, so it gets it's ward save against it.

Yellow Commissar
05-12-2006, 22:15
Thanks.

Does the Eye of Tzeentch work on spells like Rule of Burning Iron, and Uranon's Thunder Bolt, or is it just spells that are "magic missles"?

This thing seems awfully cheap to be giving Chaos Dragons a 3+ ward save, but :wtf: .

TheWarSmith
06-12-2006, 05:38
it's only for "missiles" i believe, magical or non.

Gorbad Ironclaw
06-12-2006, 10:15
The trick to get around it is to just don't shoot the dragon. You know he won't have a ward save in combat(if you got some heavy hitters yourself). And the shooting thats not wasted on the dragon will most likely do bad things to the rest of the army.

Dragons are pretty resilient to shooting in the first place, so it's not that much of a loss not shooting it all together.

NakedFisherman
06-12-2006, 14:43
Just Pit of Shades them. At a tournament, I watched a player cast Pit of Shades on his opponent's dragon. It was quite funny to see the tense look on his opponent's face when he rolled the initiative tests.

Yellow Commissar
07-12-2006, 00:42
Thanks, guys.

I may try Shadow. It's just I may not generate Pit of Shades and the rest of the Lore can be spotty. Unseen Lurker is fantastic, but it probably won't draw out any Dispel Scrolls on turn 1 when I go first with my CD army. (They're pretty slow.)

I'm leaning toward staying with Fire for my lvl4, and Death for my lvl2's. They've been working for me so far. Conflagration of Doom should work pretty well, too, if I get it. Pit of Shades is tempting, but I don't know if it's worth the risk.

@TheWarSmith

Do you know for sure what the AB says? Gorbad says it is all shooting. I don't have the HoC AB, so I have no idea.

Flame
07-12-2006, 00:58
'Normal and magical missiles' is the exact wording.

Yellow Commissar
07-12-2006, 02:18
Thanks, Flame.

Neither sounds like what a Salalmander does to me.

Shaitan
07-12-2006, 08:50
The Lore of Shadow is actually very nice!

I do like to use it on my lvl 4 sorc though because then there is more chance that I am getting the actuall usefull spells.

You said you are playing Lizardmen? That makes this lore extra interesting because of the low initiative they have (Pit of Shades) :evilgrin:

szlachcic
08-12-2006, 22:05
Thanks, Flame.

Actually I am pretty sure a Salamander's ranged attack counts as a normal missle attack which I believe is also flaming. If this is correct, then he would still get the save from the Eye.

Gorbad Ironclaw
08-12-2006, 22:10
Thanks, Flame.

What is it then? It's completely own special category of attack that takes place in the shooting phase, and strikes models from afar, but isn't a missile attack?

And yes, I am being sarcastic.

Yellow Commissar
10-12-2006, 03:27
What is it then? It's completely own special category of attack that takes place in the shooting phase, and strikes models from afar, but isn't a missile attack?

And yes, I am being sarcastic.

The list of "Missle Weopons" can be found on page 57 of the BRB.

"Spout Flames" is not listed there.

Therefore, I would call it a shooting attack.

If you wish to call it a missle attack, feel free. The rules are so poorly written, that you could probably make an argument that it is a Goblin, or perhaps a Squig.

I'm not trying to tell everyone the one way to play, I'm just trying to agree with my friends on how we want to play.

Thanks again for the replies.

Murderous Monkey
10-12-2006, 11:05
I can't say I find that argument conclusive to be honest... I don't think Leadbelcher Cannons aren't listed in the rulebook either, but I'd have a hard time convincing anyone that they shouldn't get an Eye of Tzeentch save against them!

Still as your thinking of house rules it doesn't really matter! Have fun against the Tzeentchian Hordes.

NakedFisherman
10-12-2006, 17:33
Therefore, I would call it a shooting attack.

Based on what?