PDA

View Full Version : Are the kroot related to the nids

Brothergrimm
08-07-2005, 15:03
I was reading the latest white dwarf (u.s) about the nid kill teams and in the articel it mentions that the nids are the fastest evoling species in the warhammer world. But then i thought what about the kroot they change and evole in much the same way as the nid's so could the kroot be one of the unknowing hive fleets fleeing the nids.

wilting_laughter
08-07-2005, 15:04
No, just no.

Brusilov
08-07-2005, 16:08
Clearly not, the Kroot have an ability that is somewhat similar to the Nids, but much more random, as evidenced by dead ends in Kroot evolution (Hounds, Krootoxen, Gnarlocs...). Most importantly, Kroot do not share the feature common to all Nids: six limbs, six bony outgrowth on the forehead.

Kjell
08-07-2005, 16:22
Clearly not, the Kroot have an ability that is somewhat similar to the Nids, but much more random, as evidenced by dead ends in Kroot evolution (Hounds, Krootoxen, Gnarlocs...). Most importantly, Kroot do not share the feature common to all Nids: six limbs, six bony outgrowth on the forehead.
Five bony outgrowths, actually. I feel like an utter bastard pointing this out, but it's five boney bits. I should know. Heck, back when I first read that bit of info I carefully counted all the plates just to make sure. :o

charlie_c67
08-07-2005, 16:41
Also, if you read For the Emperor, when Cain meets some Kroot in the tunnels they can tell that the DNA in the cultests is tainted by Stealers and in a bid to stop theres from being absorbed fight against them to the death.

Brusilov
08-07-2005, 17:01
Five outgrowths, okay I'll yeld on that point...
And there is also this story about the Kroot devouring Hormagaunts and becoming sick and something (or is it when Tau killed Slaanesh? I can't seem to remember).

Jal'knock
08-07-2005, 17:25
They ate cultists or chaos marines or traitor guard or something. It caused them to mutate and become chaotic, turning back against the Tau forces.

PrUpLeHaZe
08-07-2005, 22:06
Where are all you guys getting this stuff from (besides the caine novels of course)? :wtf:

IceFire
08-07-2005, 22:23
kroot are related to Orks. Orks crashed (invaded?) on the Kroot home world and the froot ate the orks. This is where kroot get their space travaling tech from.

Verm1s
08-07-2005, 22:33
Well, that would mean Kroot are related to everything but Nids, since they eat everything but Nids. :rolleyes:

I'd like to second wilting_laughter's comment. Emphatically.

@Brusilov: that's a little bit of fluff written by Andy Hoare, published alongside the Kroot Merc army list. A few split-seconds before the kindred ambushed the hormagaunts, the shaper sensed that their kind also 'drew strength' from their prey, and that eating the nids could have some unspecified but horrific results. He wondered if he could stop his kindred eating the nids in the swirl of the attack.
In the words of Mr. Hoare, nids are 'bad juju'.

Lord-Warlock
08-07-2005, 22:45
The Sick Kroot Incident occured when a pack of Kroot ate Slaaneshi mutants and during the next battle (convenient, eh?) started mutating. Same piece of background that has the Tau Shas'O thinking he killed Slaanesh...

Xavier
08-07-2005, 22:55
Five outgrowths, okay I'll yeld on that point...
And there is also this story about the Kroot devouring Hormagaunts and becoming sick and something (or is it when Tau killed Slaanesh? I can't seem to remember).

It was against slaanesh they became ill then turned against the rest of the kroot.

The story your thinking of is when the shaper picks up a bit then tells his kindred not to eat it.

Brusilov
09-07-2005, 20:47
I knew there was some story about the Kroot not eating Nids because there was something bad with them.

The Slaanesh story demonstrates just how little the Tau really know of the wider galaxy and how easy it would be to snuff that fragile light :evilgrin:

Philosophical Aun
09-07-2005, 22:17
There is also a sample Kroot character in Inquisitor which has devoured a Tyranid, (or was it several) organisms, and gained some form of biological advantage...alas, with the restructuring of the Fanatic Website, I can't seem to find it.