PDA

View Full Version : Warzone

Senbei
06-12-2006, 22:12
Games necromancy... gotta love it.

I'm planning on starting a small Warzone force after picking up a copy of 2nd ed on E-Bay for 1.45 (GBP). Come fourth Elder gamers and encourage me with tales of WZ-ness! Or you can just laugh at me for buying such an out of date game. On the bright side the mini's that come with the box don't look too bad...

perionyx
06-12-2006, 22:39
Don't have much to say here as i don't own/know the rules for Warzone..

What I do have and use is Cybertronic Warzone figures for Necromunda. As Arbites and other enforcer/bouncer types.

I'm activily collecting Warzone figures as they are cheaper than Necro figs. :)

jazzdude78
07-12-2006, 03:52
I wasnt too keen on 2nd ed warzone
mostly liked 1/3rd best
2nd seemed bland

though 1st can get broken if you overequip the leaders and such so some houserules should be instated

Griefbringer
07-12-2006, 08:19
I am quite fond of the 2nd edition Warzone - the basic rules mechanisms (alternating activation, actions and use of D20) make for an interesting game, and made the rules relatively straightforward to learn.

I also have a liking for the setting itself, though some might find it a bit too grim for their tastes - but if you are interested in the setting it was further detailed in the Mutant Chronicles RPG rulebook and supplements.

Senbei
07-12-2006, 15:09
Oh, and it's cheap.... If you make the rulebooks, counters, paints and dice 60p combined, I payed 1p a mini *cough*... Admitedly, after adding P&P it doesn't look quite as cosy, but it's still 1/3 of the price of buying a 40k or Necromunda rulebook.... And those troopers have sooo many uses in Sci-fi gaming. Did they ever release a model for the Imperial APC I've seen listed ?
)_)

jazzdude78
07-12-2006, 15:48
They did have a few resin vehicles I believe but theyre rare as hell

the universe was a bit too similar to 40k for my tastes

Senbei
07-12-2006, 19:17
They did quite a few things in resin.... Theres an Irish company named "Prince August's" that stocks some of the stuff. Unfortunately the Grizzly isn't one of the things they do keep. Another good thing about WZ is that theres so much stuff that looks 'similar' in other ranges that it's easy to proxy a little bit...

t-tauri
07-12-2006, 22:30
The last Grizzly I saw on ebay went for over a hundred quid. Warzone was a good game with a good background sadly run into the ground. Some of the minis are great, others terrible. There's talk of a new collectable version with larger scale miniatures. :(

As mentioned Prince August have some of the old stock which has some good proxies for IG. The plastic Imperial and Bauhaus in the boxed set are great for trench IG with a bit of conversion.

Griefbringer
08-12-2006, 05:23
They did have a few resin vehicles I believe but theyre rare as hell

There were also three or so resin vehicles done under lisence by Armourcast around 1996 or so: those were the Imperial armoured car, Bauhaus Grizzly and Bauhaus hovertank.

Senbei
08-12-2006, 11:31
They still have some boxes of the little resin Bauhaus hovercraft up for sale on PA.... Wonder what they mean by "more stock coming 2007"..... Surely WZ stuff is discontinued ?

Griefbringer
08-12-2006, 16:01
It depends on how Prince August got they current stock - it has only been on their website for a limited time. It might just be a case of them having more models they bought from somewhere for cheap, currently lying in storage, that they need to sort through and put to the website.

t-tauri
08-12-2006, 16:49
They still have some boxes of the little resin Bauhaus hovercraft up for sale on PA.... Wonder what they mean by "more stock coming 2007"..... Surely WZ stuff is discontinued ?I think they've got the moulds as well so they can cast up more of the metals at least. There's also a lot of the range they've not got round to listing on the site for which they may have stock available. Plastics might run out and it'll depend on whether they've got those moulds or not and whether it's viable to produce them in the enormous numbers to make a run cost effective.

Solomon Short
08-12-2006, 20:58
I have geat love for Warzone but I got in on the Ultimate Warzone edition, typos and all. Love the game, hate that Excelsior Entertainment missed the lay up with the game.
The models are hit and miss for certain. Many Brotherhood minis look like bobble-heads, the Venusian Rangers look like a stormtrooper and a space marine had a head on collision with Conan the Barbarians boots and that's what came out... Same hand, there are some great models as well. Blood Berets, Etoiles Mortant.
I really like the way Warzone runs in the ulitmate edition. Everyone stays at the table with the alternate activation. The game seems really balanced and favors a table chock full of terrain. It's a great little game that has suffered the companies running it being complete bunglers at every turn.

AWu
08-12-2006, 22:31
it has big following in poland (40 people turnaments and such)
but what i heard from polish community
while UWZ (3rd ed) is best one

it have a certain number of inbalances
may i quote Polish tournament rules clarification
"No army ever, can field more than 3 victors and/or vulkans" ;>

and few more such things that have to be corrected
but game itself is best of the three

Senbei
09-12-2006, 00:09
Might have to get myself somr trenchers... Just love the Idea of that unit. WW1 in space... Now, wheres my Sci-Fi Whippet?