PDA

View Full Version : New Wood elfs - a possiable character hammer army?

Lord_krok
08-07-2005, 17:55
who thinks that the new Wood Elfs can be used as at least a partial character hammer army? With the fact that you can have a ware-wolf hero is a relly good hint, he can also carry magic weapons in accordance to being like being Int9 and Ws7 as well as Mv9 and the fact that they can have those spites?
they can be perddy powerful. :eek:

malisteen
08-07-2005, 18:04
He's not going to be breaking many units on his own, costs a lot of points, leaves the army even more vulnerable to magic (one of the wood elve's biggest weaknesses), and, outside of a challenge, is still far from invincible.

Wood elf fighty characters have gotten better, to be sure. But I don't think they'll be topping the herohammer charts with lizzies, chaos, and such anytime soon. But we'll see.

Brother Frog
08-07-2005, 18:22
Ironically, neither the Waywatcher Lord nor the Wardancer Lord are the hardest...

tzeentchgiant
08-07-2005, 18:30
I don't think the new WE are heralding herohammer games, just from what I've heard here on warseer.

BTW, could you change your font back to normal, it hurts my old eyes/annoys me if someones different.

TG

Simon23
08-07-2005, 19:24
Hmmm not really, the only way a WE hero can take on units is if hes dragon mounted. Even the altered kindred, hit on 6`s with silly good saves and a great weapon set up can only have a maximum CR of 5. Even against a unit of 25 cheapo goblins you`ll draw thanks to +3 ranks, + 1 outnumbering, +1 standard. Granted he can take smaller more elite units like knights on a treat but hey thats why hes the same point value (280-odd).

Galadrin
08-07-2005, 19:30
Yeah, there is only so much you can do with Toughness 3, light armour and a handfull of wounds.

athamas
08-07-2005, 21:38
the worrying thing will be the woodelf spirit army... something i would like to do if its not too popular,

having [i think] M5ws4s/t4a2 for ~12 points.. is going to be worrying...

whole skirmishing armies will be ariving... however they will be very venerable to magic,

I think WE could be a very interesting book!

Jericho
08-07-2005, 21:55
WE can take magic defense in the form of Branchwraiths, and Glamorweaver or whatever the Kindred is that makes mages Forest Spirits, and puts them on Unicorns and stuff. The Cluster of Radiants isn't a bad idea either, extra dispel dice from that Spite.

Drycha is a mage as well, low level but generates 3 power dice and has 2 bound spells. She's gonna be popular I think, since she's got very cool rules and is cheaper than Treeman Ancient by a fair margin.

Anyway those Dryads are pretty cool but I'm still not convinced they'll be gamebreakers without serious help. They're skirmishers with no standard or musician, which puts them at a huge disadvantage compared to other ranked troops. And 25mm bases will cost you a couple of attacks usually as well. Should be interesting to see how everything works out.

NakedFisherman
09-07-2005, 03:30
Why is this in the rumors section?

swordquest
09-07-2005, 03:49
Why is this in the rumors section?I agree...
I always attempt to play hero hammer because the more points spent on characters the fewer points worth of expensive(in the real world) units.

Archaon
09-07-2005, 04:20
I will see this in person when the armybook arrives and my friend starts to field his old WE in a new way.

I'm not too concerned with WE if i field my DE..many lone elven characters have fallen to the bolts of my Dark Riders or my Bolt Throwers. Elves simply can't stand much punishment and it would surprise me if WE would be any different. They sure don't wield much armor (a 4+ armor save would be the max i'd expect) and the occasional ward save would have to work overtime to save him from one or two turns of 10+ shots and the 3 to 4 wounds i could make realistically if i catch him.

This is the biggest problem..catching him with his pants down. I either manage this and he's toast or i do not..this will be the main problem. Or i force him into hiding in which case he's not much use (second best option).

athamas
09-07-2005, 09:19
dryads have a 5+ demonic save T4, and will be skirmishing, so will be fairly safe from shooting, but magic missiles will be very dangerous...

the army will be playable, but not over powered, as it will have its weeknesses!

anarchistica
09-07-2005, 16:21
Actually, WE are the anti-Hero Hammer army. GW finally realised how they fethed up, so they gave WE lots of things to counter those S7 Sauri/Vampire/Chaos Champions. Annoyance of Netlings (enemy only hit on 6's in challenges), Amaranthine Brooch (3+ daemonic ward save), Merciw's Locus (no S bonus for bearer or anyone who attacks him), etc...

Griefbringer
09-07-2005, 16:43
I don't think WE could get anywhere close to Chaos when it comes to hero-hammering.

Let's start with the Tzeench army with lord on dragon and two exalted champions for starters...