PDA

View Full Version : Special Characters

gORCUS
07-12-2006, 01:05
I'm fairly new to warhammer, I got started in the middle of sixth edition, and when it comes to this hobby, I do a lot more painting and converting than I do playing. When I do play, I've heard from a lot of folks that using special characters is lame, and since joining Warseer, it seems that a lot of members share that same sentiment.

I guess I'm just curious as to why that is. I've never seen anything wrong with them, other than the fact that they were very expensive points-wise until now with the release of the seventh edition. I particularly like special characters that change the whole feel of an army, like Skrag the Slaughterer for the ogres (another group that seems to draw a bit of hostility in some threads), because they give you more options and more depth. Not that I'm against generic characters and developing your own backround, I just don't dislike special characters.

So what's the deal with them?

greenskin
07-12-2006, 02:55
I just think most people fathers didn't hug them enough.

eldrak
07-12-2006, 03:53
Some players simple doesn't find it fun to play a game whose outcome is decided by the performance of a single model.

They are often not playtested/balanced enough and i think they work better in games that are designed around them, like Confrontation.

07-12-2006, 04:14
People think they are overpowered.

me I find them fun as long as you both know you can (but I play for fun not so much winning)

I find that most people who try them forget half their magic items or special abilities (especially the ones with 2 or 3 pages of rules)

Briscoe
07-12-2006, 05:09
I get the feeling that most players feel like a customized basic heroes and lords are more efficient point for point in getting them to work the way you need them to in your army. The fact that many special characters are kinda cost prohibative unless you're in a pretty large game makes them less played I think.

Personally, I would consider special characters to be more of a fun once in a while sort of affair rather than a stable part of your list.

kyussinchains
07-12-2006, 07:26
many people just tar them all with the same brush, granted there are some characters who are stupidly overpowered (archaon and valten spring to mind) but there are plenty who arent (crom, eltharion, malus darkblade, luthor huss)

I think when players use them in every army, it gets annoying to play against, but when they break them out once in a while, it addds flavour and variety to the game.

Shaitan
07-12-2006, 07:31
I think there is no problem in using special characters, as long as it is allowed in your gaming group.

In our gaming group we have discussed it sometimes and we found that all the special characters should be allowed.
When one of them is really overpowered we can afterwards always decide what we will do with it: still allow it or not...

Braad
07-12-2006, 10:53
It's just what the other one has in stock to kill such a character, who is often extremely strong.
I played with Grimgor once, and he is very good at cutting saurus, carnosaurs, stegadons and that kind of stuff...
But if he can't fight, perhaps if the carnosaur is on the wrong side of the unit, than you might have a huge problem when he starts running.
Mainly, the entire battle just depended on him. It was funny, but not so much exciting (except if I had to roll break tests or so).
however, if he is not with a unit, than you can't get him in that way. And then nearly nothing can stop him.

I think it's more fun to have a huge load of fighters and a couple of moderate bosses, that gives a much more versatile army and way more true action on your battlefield, and not just a few mighty special characters.
But if you ask me, I believe that the same goes for all extremely mighty things like dragons. If you just happen not to have that little piece of equipment in your army like a nice bolt thrower, than you're done for at the start.

kyussinchains
07-12-2006, 11:49
we used to call grimgor and his bodyguard the 'combine harvester' because they just roll across the battlefield chewing up whatever gets in their way

Dr Death
07-12-2006, 12:25
Special characters got a bit of a bad press after 'hero hammer' and so similar to how Psychic powers were treated in 3rd edition 40k after 2nd edition so the Special characters got stripped down in the transition from 5th edition warhammer to 6th.

Personally i love special characters. They're not for everyday usage but as a novelty they're good because they bring in the aspect of roleplay and encourage people to play their armies in different fashions. I have to say im not particularly keen on characters that change the choices you can take since i fervantly beleive it should be optional and not forced, but special characters, particularly ones with an interesting background promote more 'fluffy' play.

Thankfully special characters are witnessing something of a resurgence in 7th edition and all the big names are coming back into the game- Good stuff i say, give us more.

Dr Death

perrin23860
07-12-2006, 12:43
I just think most people fathers didn't hug them enough.

either that or they were not breast fed as kids...

i like special characters. just dont over do it. i dont want to see the same named character every other time. i do think it adds a neat flavor to the game though.

enyoss
07-12-2006, 15:52
we used to call grimgor and his bodyguard the 'combine harvester' because they just roll across the battlefield chewing up whatever gets in their way

Yup... the uninterrupted whirring of blades scything down wheat-like troops, with the odd 'p-ting' as a hero makes a nuisance of himself and gets fed through the thing.

I don't mind Special Characters at all really, although playing against the same one time and again can get boring. Some are more balanced than others though, with one or two toughies (Archaon... no fun) and a couple of real weeds (Luthor Wuss comes to mind... Lord and Hero?!).

Cheers,

enyoss