PDA

View Full Version : Mojaco's Eldar Army: The Cathel Dir

Mojaco
07-12-2006, 14:34
Heya,

I've had this army started since halfway august, starting with the revenant titan :), with the bulk of it added the first week of october when I was lucky enough to get my hands on an army deal early, especially sincei t needed to be finished by the 15th (tournament).
The colour scheme is my own, and I'll dig up some fluff of it later.

This blog is not only to show off. It might appear finished, but it isn't by a long shot. Several models in the upcoming pictures are still WIP, as are warwalkers, farseer(s), autarch(s), shinings spears, fire prisms, more troops, etc. And one day I'll have The Long Hellish Day Of Painting Jewels (tm), so most aren't up to standard.

Enough talk. Pictures! I'll make better ones at a later stage, but I had them all set up and I figured now was as good a time as any.

Dire Avengers
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/DireAvengers01.jpg

Guardians
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/Guardians.jpg

Jetbikes & Vyper
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/Jetbikes01-1.jpg

Mojaco
07-12-2006, 14:34
Warp Spiders
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/WarpSpiders01.jpg

Howling Banshees (unsharp)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/HowlingBanshees01.jpg

Fire Dragons (unsharp)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/FireDragons01.jpg

Mojaco
07-12-2006, 14:35
Swooping Hawks
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/SwoopingHawks01.jpg

Dark Reapers (unfinished)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/DarkReapers02.jpg

Wraithlord & Wraithguard (wraithguard unfinished)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/Wraithguard01.jpg

Mojaco
07-12-2006, 14:36
Wave Serpent
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/Waveserpent01.jpg

Falcons
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/Falcons02.jpg

Falcons Different angle
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/Falcons01.jpg

Mojaco
07-12-2006, 14:37
Revenant Titan (unfinished)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Eldar/Revenant01.jpg

Eldar Army
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Army04.jpg

Okay guys, shoot!

Voronwe[MQ]
07-12-2006, 14:48
There appears to be no pictures, Mojaco.
Try edit them; you might have missed something.

TCUTTER
07-12-2006, 14:58
gasp, this is the best unified force ive seen in a long time, kudos as well on using a less than common red

unwanted
07-12-2006, 14:59
Wow, those look mighty fine!

Very crisp vehicles and Wraithlord in particular.

Maus
07-12-2006, 15:04
I've been looking forward to seeing these in more detail since you posted those shots from a game. Excellent work, and that Revenant will make a mighty fine centerpiece!

I like how high your tanks are. Are the bases weighted somehow to help keep them stable?

ZAChos
07-12-2006, 15:05
Me love you long time!!

How did you do the honeycomb effect? Did you use a trick or was it just a mighty steady hand?

Finally, why are the pilots green?

Mojaco
07-12-2006, 15:11
The honeycomb thing is just a steady hand, and isn't actually that hard. The green pilots are green because their cockpit is. Green is my "in case of need colour". which I use to add a little colour here and there. It should generally be used only for 'active' things, like powerweapons, cockpit, a farseer using a power, etc.

Thanks for the replies so far. Glad you guys like it.

Boss_Salvage
07-12-2006, 15:15
*applause*

That's amazing work, a really really fine army. Your white and 'red' are both so smooth and rich it's fantastic, and the honeycombs couldn't be more astounding. Oh, also love how the avenger exarch is inverted colors to his squad, a very nice effect - while it would have been neat to be carried through the other exarchs, I don't think they suffer with their own 'standard' paint schemes.

Beautiful work, good luck with the tournament, looking forward to seeing more, especially some HQ.

- Salvage

Maus
07-12-2006, 15:18
When the aspects were first introduced, weren't all the exarchs done in inverted colors?

Endemion
07-12-2006, 15:52
Stunning, particularly for an "unfinished" army. The hexagon pattern is a fantastic touch. I'll definately be watching this one for further developments

A7X
07-12-2006, 15:53
:O

someones been playing metal gear solid :P

This is the best eldar army ive seen! EVER!

Cap'n B
07-12-2006, 15:56
These are some of the best Eldar I've seen. I will also watch this thread for developments

Arhalien
07-12-2006, 16:11
These are superb, and that is the first painted revenant titan I have seen, it is incredible! I'm speechless, great scheme, and great painting. The green swords are a bit odd though...

HiredSword.
07-12-2006, 16:39
Lovely, what a great army. I really like how you haven't painted the aspects in their normal colours, something which i find people scared to do for some reason (its a great oppertunity to try the same colours in different places on the armour, which is what you've done).

I like how you've used the heights of the falcons so that the titan looks like part of the army (does that make sense?).

The only thing i could suggest is to angle some of the jetbikes and falcons so they look like they're turning to give them more movement.

dave is the best
07-12-2006, 17:39
Verry nice. Thats the first time i have ever seen waithguard and actuly like the.

Dave

Tussky
07-12-2006, 18:02
OMG!Very nice army!Please tell me how did you paint the whit on your minis!

Machinepriest
07-12-2006, 19:20
Sweet zombie Jeebus that's nice :O
The best Eldar army I've seen in a long time actually.
I really like that it's so very up to date with all the latest models. :)

tagsta
07-12-2006, 20:02
definitely the best eldar army I have ever seen...
try to get some better pics ;) a tripod will be useful

greymouser
07-12-2006, 20:26
Amazing.

The hexagon pattern is freehand, or did you use a stencil of some sort?

Very smooth colors, and they really look good all together.

baphomael
07-12-2006, 20:50
I love that honeycomb effect. Out of interest, have you thought about doing it on the back carapace of the warp-jump generators for your warp-spiders? It might look quite good there.

AventineCrusader
07-12-2006, 21:29
Sir, I must say, while many Eldar armies I see posted simply depress/discourage me from my own army, yours is truly an inspiration. I am going to put in that extra effort to make my army truly stunning now. Thank you.

What did you use to achieve that height on your Falcons? Was extra weight required on the bases? If so, what did you use?

Crusader

Mojaco
07-12-2006, 22:47
The Warp Spiders actually are honeycombed :) You can see the top of it just barely on some of them in this light, but it's the same style as all other honeycombed things; purple/pink then white.

The heightened falcons are simple; buy metal bolt-wire with screw-thread (this is a direct translation from the dutch "schroefdraad". Hope it makes sense) by the meter. Then buy plastic rods which fit over the metal ones and spray them black. Make sure on each end about 3 mm of metal rod sticks out.

Then build nuts into both the bases and the models. Voila. Easy to transport, tough and cool. It's just annoying if you plan to use a lot of jetbikes and then having to screw all those poles in before a battle :)

Balance isn't an issue either, since GW has been smart enough to do the center of gravity math for you. Simply build in the nuts where you are supposed to place the plastic flying bases.

Yea, the hexagon is freehand. It's not so hard and if you look closely, I didn't do such a great job actually :) It got better as I progressed. I love the look of my army as a whole, but per model I could've done better. My HQ will have to make up for it :D And the mentioned jewels.

Vaktathi
08-12-2006, 00:30
WOW your army looks amazing, I especially like the hex pattern on the models.

Great job :D

(wanna paint my guys? lol)

FearFrost
08-12-2006, 05:33
This is a perfect eldar army...the aspects are close enough to the main scheme to be unified, but still look seperate. The hex stuff is awesome.

I hope my army looks as good together (when its done).

Great stuff.

OnnO
08-12-2006, 11:02
I've had the privilege to see these in the flesh, he played them during the GT.

Simply stunning.

Evilgnome
08-12-2006, 11:08
Nice looking army indeed.

Nebhr Gudahtt
08-12-2006, 12:42
Supernice, definitely looking forward to seeing more.

Morentez
08-12-2006, 13:00
wow that army is amazingly striking! i like it...

AventineCrusader
08-12-2006, 13:10
The heightened falcons are simple; buy metal bolt-wire with screw-thread (this is a direct translation from the dutch "schroefdraad". Hope it makes sense) by the meter. Then buy plastic rods which fit over the metal ones and spray them black. Make sure on each end about 3 mm of metal rod sticks out.

Then build nuts into both the bases and the models. Voila. Easy to transport, tough and cool. It's just annoying if you plan to use a lot of jetbikes and then having to screw all those poles in before a battle :)

Balance isn't an issue either, since GW has been smart enough to do the center of gravity math for you. Simply build in the nuts where you are supposed to place the plastic flying bases.

Yes, very simple. Thanks for the insight, I think I shall be copying you:D ...
It will make my mechanised force much more imposing...

Crusader

The Iron Duke
08-12-2006, 22:48
Striking look, and well executed. I agree with HiredSword that a slight angle to some of the anti-grav vehicles would add a nice touch, but other than that, I have nothing to other than "Great work." I especially like the Banshees - the green swords are a ncie contrast.

EmperorsChamp01
08-12-2006, 23:33
Love the white can you send me how you did it.

Voronwe[MQ]
09-12-2006, 12:19
This is definitely one of the best armies I've ever seen!

The honeycombed colour-transition on your vehicles and grav-platforms, your white and purple, your wraithlord, your warp spiders, your dark reapers, your swooping hawks, your dire avengers, your autarch, your revenant... * jaw drops *

Excellent; this is a great army indeed. Have you thought about E-mail White Dwarf when this is finished? This would heighten their sales of new Eldar with 35%. :D

@Baphomael: He actually has applied the honeycomb pattern to the backside of the warp jump generators; take a closer look. ;)

Kotobuki
09-12-2006, 16:31
Yes, very simple. Thanks for the insight, I think I shall be copying you:D ...
It will make my mechanised force much more imposing...

Crusader

The product he's talking about, in case you need to ask for it, is called Threaded Rod, in english.

Reign in Blood
10-12-2006, 06:34
Hell yeah mate, they are ******* sweet.

spikedog
10-12-2006, 06:55
Fan-*****-tastic.

I love the whole effect, the transition of colour with honeycombe effect is beautifuly painted.

Hurry up and finish that Titan!

KnightofUltramar
10-12-2006, 13:36
Very cool army, Mojaco. How did you paint those Fire Dragons? I think I'm gonna paint my Dragons in that red colour too. Also nice to see the Dark Reapers. Looking forward to our battle.

KoU

Zodiac
10-12-2006, 13:43
Holy mother of god! Thats one kick-ass army! I really like the red-purple-white-pink colour scheme, fits well together without being overdone like some armies that are painted striking colours.. this looks far better than the models GW did.. I love the dire avengers most.. they truly have the hoplite look they need!!

god octo
10-12-2006, 15:05
they are amazingly well done- give yourself a hug/pat on the back/cake. The colour scheme is very original- i cant wait for an update.

Vegeta365
10-01-2007, 11:09
Thought I would bump this so that those who have not had the pleasure of seeing it (due to it being on page 10) may find inspiration!

Also an update would be nice?????

Wastegate chatter
10-01-2007, 11:22
Glad this was bumped, what a great army

There seems to be so many quality eldar logs at the moment, I have to stop reading and start painting!!!

Voronwe[MQ]
10-01-2007, 11:25
For me it's the other way around (well, or something) - when I reads these logs I suddenly begin painting!

Voronwe

Messiah
10-01-2007, 17:58
Nice to see a common colour on the Aspects as the Craftworld. Wanted to see this for a time, to make up my own mind.. ;)

And it looks good! I really like the hexagons on the paintscheme. Nice gaming reference if thats what you intended.. ;)

HiredSword.
10-01-2007, 21:26
to be honest, i never really understood why most people painted different colours for different aspects, it looks much neater and just better looking this way imo. It's a clever use of colour to make each aspect in the force different.

Green-is-best
10-01-2007, 21:46
Love the honey comb pattern! Outstanding work!

Siromcyre
11-01-2007, 01:09
Fully Sick!!!

The Laughing God
11-01-2007, 01:43
All of them look awesome!
That Titan looks so cool and it's a good clean paint job. Looking forward to seeing more pictures. Keep up the good work!

Savnock
11-01-2007, 09:39
Amazing. Like everyone else, I love the honeycomb.

You've mentioned how you did it (freehand!), but where or how did you get the inspiration for that pattern (especially the color transition) in the first place?

I would also like to applaud your use of common colors on the Aspect Warriors as well. Let the age of Skittles Warriors come to an end!

asmodai_dark86
11-01-2007, 10:12
Ahhhh *looks at titan* your that Mojoco!

They look damn nifty and you know it, although I reckon a display board is worth the time and effort.

Mojaco
11-01-2007, 11:21
Hey, I got bumped!

I'll update one day, but right now my vostroyans are my favorite, not in a small part due to my eldar standing in the store cabinet instead of at home.

I'm working on shining spears right now, and I'm thinking of getting that delicious avatar...

How I came up with the colour scheme? I dunno. Not metal gear solid though, never played the game but a lot of people think of that game when they see it. I just wanted an easy way of blending one colour to another without actual blending. Used a jetbike to try it out and I liked it. But plenty of people come up with awesome colour schemes daily, right? :)

Thanks for interest. I'll just pick this thread up in a month or so, when hopefully the titan should be done. Usually I speed to a playable level and then some (2000 pts) and then I slow down considerably :rolleyes:

Voronwe[MQ]
11-01-2007, 11:54
We'll await it eagerly, then!

Voronwe

Vegeta365
11-01-2007, 12:46
Hey, I got bumped!

I'll update one day, but right now my vostroyans are my favorite, not in a small part due to my eldar standing in the store cabinet instead of at home.

I'm working on shining spears right now, and I'm thinking of getting that delicious avatar...

How I came up with the colour scheme? I dunno. Not metal gear solid though, never played the game but a lot of people think of that game when they see it. I just wanted an easy way of blending one colour to another without actual blending. Used a jetbike to try it out and I liked it. But plenty of people come up with awesome colour schemes daily, right? :)

Thanks for interest. I'll just pick this thread up in a month or so, when hopefully the titan should be done. Usually I speed to a playable level and then some (2000 pts) and then I slow down considerably :rolleyes:

With an army like that it deserved to be bumped!

I want to say congrats. I shall have to post you my saim hann army and see what you think.

Mojaco
11-01-2007, 13:07
I posted there! Number 24! Your army is awesome. Never thought I'd see a converted eldar army that I'd like, let alone love.

Allanon
13-01-2007, 13:24
Really, really nice.

Would you care to tell how you made the purple, redish color. Its just awesome.

Ventris_Fellstorm
13-01-2007, 13:44
Oh-my-god-those-are-beautiful-!-!-!:eek:

Absolutely lovely...I want a Revenant Titan too! :cries:

Smokedog
22-05-2007, 14:24
This is amazing and awe inspiring.

very well done, the most original I have seen fora while. Are there any updates?

Cpt_NinjaPants
22-05-2007, 15:44
Ooo pretty Eldar, i adore that honeycomb, and i demand that it be put on the Titan. Also, any updates man!!

Greblord
22-05-2007, 15:58
They officially rock. Very nice indeed. I like the Hex pattern particularly.

Zedric
23-05-2007, 04:17
The hexagon effect is simply beautiful. Good color choice, love that all the aspects are variations on the theme... I LURVE IT.

Firestorm Falcon
23-05-2007, 20:26
Incredible, just amazing. The revanant looks spectacultar, standing proudly over the force.
A truely exelent force. I bet you can't wait to do the gems ;).

Seer Drakon
24-05-2007, 02:33
This is truely a great eldar army. I am such a fan of this. You should make a little tutorial for how you attached the flying bases. I love the colors and would love to see more. Keep up the great work.:evilgrin:

Master Bait
24-05-2007, 04:39
rad paint scheme, but what's up with the posing on the titan? the angles you photographed it make it look kinda gammy

Amornar
24-05-2007, 08:00
O
M
G
!
Excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor.

If that isn't the best painted eldar army I have ever seen, then it is defiantly top 3. I absolutely love the reds, the hexagons, everything!
Simply marvelous.

Ninners
24-05-2007, 08:13
WOW! Absolutely incredible army, the unified red and white is really great. I often think that with all the different colours for banshees, reapers, fire dragons etc eldar armies don't go together. I espicially love the hexagons on vehicles and support weapons, very nice idea.

Keep up the good work

Leonathion
11-04-2009, 06:07
Would dare to paint more or is this it? ;) You have made me verry inspired for a revenant, maybe this fall will be the deal...

The Wildchild
11-04-2009, 15:32
Beautiful army! The honeycomb effect is just awesome!

easternheretic
10-09-2009, 10:44
Holy pointy eared space elves batman! That is one fantastic looking army. The reddish purple and the white work bl**dy well together. Add that magnificent freehand hexagonal pattern.

Brilliant! Cheers

Morthai
13-09-2009, 22:56
Amazing army so far. Love your color scheme and honeycomb pattern. It’s nice to see some refreshed approach on the eldar traditional patterns. Keep up the great work.

maze ironheart
14-09-2009, 11:26
Excellent eldar blog love looking at well painted eldar models.

Rabid Bunny 666
14-09-2009, 11:39
Nicely painted Eldar, shame this thread died 2 years ago...

spekkiebig
15-09-2009, 07:02
Yeah, great army! Keep up the good work... that stoped about three years ago! :mad:

You idiots! Stop resurrecting long gone threads! I know this is a great army but there's no use posting here since the thread hasn't been update since may 2007! :eyebrows:

Phaia
15-09-2009, 07:19
Really like your colour scheme nice job. Question, dont know if it is asked before but where do you get those sticks for your flight bases? Love those want those

warhound
15-09-2009, 12:49
Brutal!!!!

NMTBS (nothing more to be said)

Easy now

W

qwertycg
16-09-2009, 07:11
Very sweet army

Mojaco
16-09-2009, 13:01
Hey, where did this come from? Thanks for the feedback in my absense.

This army has grown since my last updates here, but only in numbers. Just more of the same (and some of it done half-heartedly for a tournament, I'm ashamed to say).

This log is basically dead. If you want see what I'm up to now, check out the Redemptionists in my signature.

edit; to be honest, this thread's resurrection makes me want to play them again. Haven't seen them for a while. Thanks for that :)

The Wildchild
16-09-2009, 18:06
Good to hear from you! I've been keeping my eye on the redemptionist log, only I've never made the connection between the two until now!

Any chance you could give your Warseer followers a picture of the finished Eldar army?

Many thanks!

Eskimo
17-09-2009, 18:31
I'm just curious. OTHER THAN HOW THE HELL DID YOU PAINT AN AMAZING ARMY (if your Italian I want your babies). What was your base white color before the highlights. I'm trying to paint a similiar white on my army.

Thanx

Mojaco
18-09-2009, 09:07
I shouldn't be bumping this, but anyway..

I used a mix between fortress and white. From codex grey to white it's 5 steps, with 2 mixes between fortress and white. It should just like white to the eye, untill compared with actual white. Then you know you've got a good mix.

migsula
20-09-2009, 14:22
Beautiful force!!! Just painting my own Eldar army (Blog at dakka) and this was most inspiring to see!