PDA

View Full Version : Brass Scorpion

Hortwerth
08-12-2006, 10:05
A model made on commission, based on conversion photos the client provided (so it's someone else's idea), with lava base to fit the rest of the army (Khorne Daemonbomb).

Not much more to say, really... Oh, it took 2 days converting it and 5 days painting. Not bad for a week's work...

Enjoy!

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3928/brassscorpionmixeg5.jpg

Sleazy
08-12-2006, 10:20
Yeah the original (shown in the rulebook) is currently at Newcastle Store, it was made by a fella who worked at GW Metro for a while, I cant remember his name but a few of his things have been in WD, Artemis on a bike was a particularly good one.

ROY! that was his name

75hastings69
08-12-2006, 10:25
The converting and painting of that model is faultless Hotwerth, hats off to you sir!!!

The lava looks tremendous any chance of a tutorial?

tau_caste
08-12-2006, 10:35
thats sweet! i wish i was half as good as that... the lava looks AWESOME!!! i need more skill :cries:

~Browny out~

Bloodknight
08-12-2006, 10:43
Great paintjob, I especially like the faces on the Raider parts.
Achieving this in only 5 days is wonderful (I´d take a year and it wouldn´t look as good ;)).

Evilgnome
08-12-2006, 11:04
Pretty damn good.

Hortwerth
08-12-2006, 11:36
The skulls on the raider armour plates are also repeated on each limb (the inner part of the armour) and are a continuation of what I did with the Khorne lord on bike for the same client.

The lava was just a white glue squeezed straight from tube, with an overlapping S pattern all over, dried with a hairdryer and then another layer added - a few times. Then some sand and gravel was sprinkled here and there plus some lead scatter I had laying around and after all was force-dried (so that it wouldn't just smoothen out) a watered down layer of PVA was added to merge all these together a bit. The rocks are broken and boiled fimo again.

Painting - white undercoat, heavy coat of Bad Moon Yellow, then progressively lighter drybrushes in the following order: Golden Yellow, Fiery Orange, Blazing Orange, Blood Red, Red Gore, Scab Red, Black. The rocks were painted the same way until teh Red Gore, which was instead applied as a wash to the top and the upper part of the sides, then Chaos Black washed over the uppermost part of sides and top of the rocks. The transition was smoothed with Blood Red and Blazing Orange washed, and the top of the rocks was drybrushed with Codex Grey and some white.

Hideous Loon
08-12-2006, 11:49
Sweet! That is all.

I say again, sweet!

Gae'Mot
08-12-2006, 11:58
Thanks for sharing your method, the lava looks ace.
Well, the whole model does^^

75hastings69
08-12-2006, 12:07
Just out of interest Hotwerth what do you charge for a commision like this?

Hortwerth
08-12-2006, 12:11
$700 plus model cost plus shipping.

Dav0r
08-12-2006, 12:14
Oh my god. Truely awesome !

And thanks a lot for the painting tips, especially the lava ...

Captain Ardias
08-12-2006, 12:57
:eek: Thats breath taking, Amazing work Hortwerth.

Zodiac
08-12-2006, 13:33
Oh my -FISHING- god! That thing is -FISHING- amazing! The NMM gold is so intense! It just burns my -FISHING- eyes out!

( No its not the new bad-word filter! :D )

fattdex
08-12-2006, 15:37
If I had the cash laying round, it's definitely worth the price! I'm glad you can get a proper 5 days pay from it.

kermit
08-12-2006, 16:22
I am just wondering...as I would like to do something like that for my Tsons army... how many Defiler sets is that?

As for the work itself... I have no words that would do it justice. It is by far the most beautiful piece I have ever seen. Beautiful!

Have you ever posted how you do your NMM Gold?!? Link?!?!

PsychosisPC
08-12-2006, 17:53
Absolutely stunning. I love the model. Great stuff as usual.

Hortwerth
09-12-2006, 00:02
I am just wondering...as I would like to do something like that for my Tsons army... how many Defiler sets is that?

As for the work itself... I have no words that would do it justice. It is by far the most beautiful piece I have ever seen. Beautiful!

Have you ever posted how you do your NMM Gold?!? Link?!?!

These are 2 Defiler sets. Just count the legs. The body was cut with a saw just after the boxy thing where you mount the torso on, and on the other side in such a way as to leave 2 holding sockets on one part and the wider one on the other. To meet the cut lines had to go in a _|- shape and left a huge gap in the upper side of both 2-socket parts that was filled in with the raider grill parts. On the other hand, it left me with 2 wider-socket parts that I used for my Knight Titan (well, I needed just 1 actually, as I only had 1 set of large claws left).

Then thank you for your flattering comment.

Then the gold: (or brass as I wanted it to be in this case)
Chaos Black undercoat,
Bestial basecoat,
Blazing orange layer,
Fiery Orange layer,
Snakebite to merge them,
Golden Yellow over orange,
Bald Moon Yellow (Vallejo) over teh edges,
Skin Wash (Vallejo wonderful matt ink) over all,
Bald Moon Yellow again,
Skull white over uppermost places of BMY,
watered-down Scorched Brown to provide contrast,
Scorched Brown lines next to bright lines.

snurl
09-12-2006, 00:17
* tears of joy *

That thing is Fabulous. It should be a production model.
Someone should show this to GW and tell them "this is what we want to see"

FraustyTheSnowman
09-12-2006, 02:07
I need to clean my keyboard...(drool, I promise it's just droo)

Brass Scorpion ehh? This something out of an IA or a VDR?

Xand0r
09-12-2006, 02:14
An amazing model that any General would be lucky to have as their centerpiece.

precinctomega
09-12-2006, 06:56
Brass Scorpion ehh? This something out of an IA or a VDR?

Something out of the classic EPIC range. Probably counts as a Defiler, looking at the weapon spec.

R.

P.S. Paying homage to Hortwerth is becoming such a regular act I'm starting to think about starting a religion. Then at least I could get it all out of the way on one day a week and register as a charity.

Sanath
10-12-2006, 09:41
You rock man:evilgrin: when you told me that you're going to do this...i havent even imagined it'll look like this:eek:

StormCrow
10-12-2006, 10:32
Wow, all i was expecting was a tomb scorpion...then i saw it was painted by hortwerth and i got excited, then i saw it was a fully converted bad ass chaos demon engine painted by hortwerth and...well...i think i'm in love.

Flawlessly painted, but then again i wouldn't expect anything less.

stonedrose
10-12-2006, 11:14
Just to clear the earlier thing up, the original was made by Roy Morris who worked at GW metro for a while and Newcastle previous to that.

Animerik
10-12-2006, 11:18
Wow lovley stuff! I´m not that into NMN but it fits the pice, the lava is truly amazing Iåll steal that ;) the small freehand faces is the best IMO such small details makes the overall 10 times better! keep it up!

Steel_Legion
10-12-2006, 11:41
well, thats fantastic like the rest of this khorne army you painted up, excelent conversion and te NMM is perfect, kudos

liamrob
10-12-2006, 13:49
Omg that is one amazing model!!!

I might have to think of u making me something in the years to come.

Gekiganger
10-12-2006, 14:06
thats sweet! i wish i was half as good as that... the lava looks AWESOME!!! i need more skill :cries:

~Browny out~

What he said...

Captain_Wolverine
10-12-2006, 16:13
One woed :SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Aquilla
10-12-2006, 16:50
Amazing work!
Love the nmm and the skulls.

Ventris_Fellstorm
10-12-2006, 17:05
* tears of joy *

That thing is Fabulous. It should be a production model.
Someone should show this to GW and tell them "this is what we want to see"

Pretty much what I was going to say...:D

Bloodthirster90
10-12-2006, 17:07
I hate you. Really, I do.
I only wish i had even one tenth of the skill you have. Actually, if i could I'd wish for double the skill you have so I could be better than you :P

Scorpio
10-12-2006, 17:48
Hortwerth...you are a god.

-Scorpio

malika
10-12-2006, 18:21
Tutorial for how to model that monster? That would be so coooooool!!!

FreakForge
10-12-2006, 20:22
Hortwerth ... STOP doing those MODELS!!

Canīt you see it?

nobody else has desires to show his work:D

as ussual ...Superb model !!!

FreakForge

athamas
10-12-2006, 20:29
brilliant model as always..... can you just paint something badly so the rest of us dont feel that bad...

any chance you could could do some sort of tutorial on how you get those skulls?

Hortwerth
10-12-2006, 22:07
brilliant model as always..... can you just paint something badly so the rest of us dont feel that bad...

any chance you could could do some sort of tutorial on how you get those skulls?

hmm.. I'll see if I can get both things you ask for on one model... That's a challenge! A badly painted model with an area used as a tutorial for skull-painting... Would anyone buy it? :D

Luke
10-12-2006, 22:57
Awesome stuff Hortwerth. Especially like the Golden NMM you got going on there. Also those cold steel hydraulic rams add a much needed point of contrast to the warmer golds and reds.

I would give this a 9 on CMON

Machinepriest
11-12-2006, 00:22
Wow... You really are a great painter/sculptor/converter Hortwerth.
I'm a long time fan, first time praiser. :)
I've been looking at your CMON gallery and wow... How do you deal with Tony Manero?
He's a royal pain in the ****.
Really immature.

Hortwerth
11-12-2006, 14:30
I've been looking at your CMON gallery and wow... How do you deal with Tony Manero?
He's a royal pain in the ****.
Really immature.

I stumbled upon his comments on my minis only a week ago or so, and that's why I overreacted at first.

I usually deal with such things by not paying any attention to my or any other CMON account. I found a year ago that CMON is way too "Ohh- ahh, we're so much better than you, have a 1, boy!" for my tastes and I just use it as a means to boost the number of visitors when I have something on auction. Unfortunately, from time to time I have a model I'm really proud of, and I want to show it also on CMON. That's when they burst my bubble, usually.

Placing a model on CMON is usually just like asking to get spit in the eye.

Kamin_Majere
11-12-2006, 16:33
Hortwerth

Thats a beautiful model, well worth the price IMO. I'm not usually a fan of NMM, but i loved how all the warm colors came together to make the over all model really stand out.

Thats easily one of the nicest works i've seen in along time, and i dont think i'll ever have the talent to reproduce something of that quality.

Great job

hairyman
11-12-2006, 16:42
I normally lurk around here a bit, but as I'm hopeless at painting I never normally post.... but I have to make an exception after seeing that. Truly brilliant, great work.

Machinepriest
12-12-2006, 00:53
I usually deal with such things by not paying any attention to my or any other CMON account. I found a year ago that CMON is way too "Ohh- ahh, we're so much better than you, have a 1, boy!" for my tastes and I just use it as a means to boost the number of visitors when I have something on auction. Unfortunately, from time to time I have a model I'm really proud of, and I want to show it also on CMON. That's when they burst my bubble, usually.

Placing a model on CMON is usually just like asking to get spit in the eye.

I hear that...
CMON has changed in the later years.
Now it's mostly a place for elitist snobs and backstabbing immature arsemonkeys like Mr. Manero.

I browse through the latest uploaded miniatures on CMON every day, but I tend to pass those fancy award winning pieces from the "elitists". They don't need my praise when they get gangraped with high votes from their best friends.

What impresses me more than a flawless slayersword winning mini by some spanish guy that was born with a brush in his hand is a whole army or just a regiment consisting of miniatures that by their own would get a score of 7-8 (Before the snipers hit it with 1's):rolleyes:

Don't let the bastards get to you Hortwerth, and keep up the amazing work!

InquisitorNiels
12-12-2006, 04:45
That model is wonderful. Keep up the super work, I wish I could paint like that. :p

Quin 242
12-12-2006, 05:35
That thing is sick cool converted and even more crazy painted!
spectacular work...

Hortwerth
05-02-2007, 06:15
The client plays games with me regarding the payment for over a month now, and as a result
I'm looking for a new owner for this model!

proximity
05-02-2007, 06:20
fantastic figure, sad to see it seperated from the rest of the very nice army..
hopefully you made him stick a big fat deposit on it before spending a weak of your life on it for him ": >" ?

fattdex
05-02-2007, 06:54
if you feature it on CMON as an eBay auction, I would say you will get the price you want for it!

Morgrad
05-02-2007, 07:28
That is the most ridiculously awesome mechanical lava scorpion defiler thingy I would ever expect to see.... ever.

Holy *******' crap, Hort - amazing work as always.

Wow.

I'm not glad your client stiffed you, except 'cause it made you resurrect this thread - 'cause I missed this the first time around.

Messiah
05-02-2007, 12:04
Fantastic model. Even greater painting. Thers just nothing more to say.

Voronwe[MQ]
05-02-2007, 13:57
We'll see how long it takes before someone posts: "For sale? Bought!" ...

Great model, and excellent for a week's work.

Voronwe

The Judge
05-02-2007, 21:32
Yeah, awesome doesn't cover it. Faultless.

Clang
05-02-2007, 21:52
My 'scorpion' Defiler from a couple of years ago is physically fairly similar (although I didn't use Dark Eldar bitz) and i was pretty pleased with it at the time, but wow, your paintjob is a million times better than mine

Warwolt the skaven
05-02-2007, 22:02
one word, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

Shinobi_8745
06-02-2007, 05:34
-Interested in owning it- o 3o;;;