PDA

View Full Version : Arcane_Blade's Finally Painting

Arcane_Blade
09-12-2006, 18:27
Well, it's been a while since I've been dedicated to painting something other than the odd model. But recently, I had a sudden spurt of inspiration, mainly from threads such as Deadley Headleys', and I had an urge to paint an army. After many a consideration, I decided on Black Legion. I just want to get some of my stuff painted up to my current standard, however bad/good that may be :D , and get playing again. I've also been considering painting my tau I got a long while ago up, so that'll be on the go when I fancy a change from Chaos. I haven't got much stuff actually with me that I want to paint up, so the workload isn't all that bad. Here's the list:

Chaos

Chaos Marine Squad x1
Attached Standard Bearer x1
Chaos Dreadnought x1
Chaos Terminator Lord x1
Chaos Terminators x??? (Damn, can't remember :p )
Chaos Sorceror x1
Khorne Berserkers squad x1
Raptor Squad x1

Tau

Tau Battleforce Set (Previous One)

As you can see, there's not all that much I have that I want to paint, but it's enough for me! Once I get my squad done and my dreadnought, I'll probably be buying another Marine Squad. Terminators and Lord may not get done for a little while, seeing as I need greenstuff to finish them. Hopefully I'll manage to get the two squads and Dreadnought done by Christmas, when I'll recieve more hobby goodness! I hope I'll get an army or two done with this log, and I may even include Necrons for even more variety. :)

Now before I finish this rediculously long introduction, I want to say that I hope you'll give me advice on my painting more than anything, as I really want to improve and paint faster. Anyway, thanks for reading, and here's to a (hopefully) successful log. Pics soon.

Arcane_Blade
09-12-2006, 18:41
First update:

First Squad's banding is almost done. These are a couple of shots of marines I started a while ago. I know they look kind of fresh etc., but I don't know how to rough the Black Legion up. Don't worry, I'll be adding highlights to this squad. (ps. only one of the marines is finished out of them)

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j283/Bloodhound_9/40k/

Ogrekin
09-12-2006, 20:50
Just wanted to say good luck.
I agree, some 'roughing up' is always good. Are you gonna go for some battle damage from a particular enemy?
What are you gonna do with the bases?

Arcane_Blade
09-12-2006, 21:02
I never thought of battle damage, and after looking around, I think I'm going to go with the first example on this article: http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/damage/2/ I thought the black looked too plain and fresh, and that'll deifnately give the more rank and file troops that Character and worn look. I'm thinking a sort of preferred enemy will be Tyranids, seeing as I've got some spare lieing around. That'll also tie in with the damage. As for the bases, I'm thinking a more ruined industrial kind of look, if you understand, which you probably won't :p . Keep the ideas coming, the first post's already given me ideas. :D

Pekel
09-12-2006, 22:08
Always great to see someone - and I quote - "getting their **** in gear." I think a Tyranid preferred enemy look would be fun, as long as you use distinctive Tyranid colors so people don't mistake trophies for mutations! My brother has some crappily painted Tyrannic War Veterans (http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=122766), which might give you some ideas for using those 'Nid bits. (If you know any Tyranid players, take their scheme - those Tyranid bits are painted in my Hive Fleet's colors!)

Keep us updated. :)

Arcane_Blade
09-12-2006, 22:22
I may be giving some of the marines Tyranid parts, I'm not sure. It's a great idea however, and I'm thinking about it! I think I may do it, but it'll be more subtle, or just for some trophies and bases. This'll definately make the army more interesting, keep the ideas coming. :)

Ogrekin
09-12-2006, 23:55
Arcane_Blade I like the way you're thinking.
Pekel's advise is great, I'm sure his brother would be pleased with the descriptionof his painting.
Can I suggest that you don't go too mad with trophies for the rank and file, as when you get to the terminators and characters you won't have anywhere to go.

Arcane_Blade
10-12-2006, 14:55
Arcane_Blade I like the way you're thinking.
Pekel's advise is great, I'm sure his brother would be pleased with the descriptionof his painting.
Can I suggest that you don't go too mad with trophies for the rank and file, as when you get to the terminators and characters you won't have anywhere to go.

Yeah, I'm most likely only going to be hinting the Tyranids with my rank and file troops. The first reason is exactly what you said, and the second is that I've been challenged to a match on the 13th January. My mate reckons I won't get my army done by then, but I'll prove him wrong, if only for the twenty quid. :p So the rank and file troops need to get done and out of the way so I can put real detail on the Elites. The first squad should be done around tonight, so pics will be up either tonight or tomorrow.

Ogrekin
12-12-2006, 21:46
So where are those pictures?