PDA

View Full Version : 500 pt gobbos vs empire help!

nagash42
10-12-2006, 07:39
hi all i'm going up against a friends empire army as we're in a 500pt border princes campaign and was wondering how i should go about getting a fighting chance.

he fields 2 knight units (unsure what size) a helblaster and a wizard.

i'm not sure what magic items he takes (if any at all)

shoudl i go with just two big blocks of night gobbos with some fanatics and shamans and hope the blaster doesn't do to much damage or something else?

any tips will do fine i can proxy just about anything if i have to and have two BFSP boxes full of gobbos.

Mouldsta
10-12-2006, 10:59
Well I assume you're not using the border patrol rules, since he doesn't have a ten man infantry unit. You could try being a tad dairy and take 3 lv2 shamans (NG) with no equipment, 2 20 man NG units (no command) with bows - deploy them in a single line so you can have 40 shots, one unit with 3 fanatics and one with 2 fanatics. That's 500pts on the nose and rather silly.

Fanatics + magic should screw up the knights and magic alone should bust the warmachine, especially as you have 8PD and he has 3DD

DeathlessDraich
10-12-2006, 11:17
Hmm.
Some suggestions:
1) Your Fanatics will be intentionally triggered by the Cavalry and then it might cause serious problems on a vacant battlefield with so few units. Replace it with Nets.
2) I've played against the Hellblaster quite often. It could easily wipe out your entire 500pts of Goblins. 2 Boltthrowers might destroy it with the longer range shooting and at the same time reduce the number of knights when they come closer.
3) A combination of Fast cavalry - Wolf Riders and infantry would be more effective than an all infantry army. Wolf riders can bait while the infantry can ambush.

Mouldsta
10-12-2006, 11:30
Hmm.
Some suggestions:
1) Your Fanatics will be intentionally triggered by the Cavalry and then it might cause serious problems on a vacant battlefield with so few units. Replace it with Nets.

Well it was kind of the point to have them triggered by the knights, as that's who they're designed for. With nets you suffer 2 problems, namely that the unit can either be largely ignored untill all troublesome units have been removed, and that 2 units of knights combined can take a unit of NG, nets or no nets. The empire player could just sit back and shoot/magic all other units away untill only the block are left.

2) I've played against the Hellblaster quite often. It could easily wipe out your entire 500pts of Goblins. 2 Boltthrowers might destroy it with the longer range shooting and at the same time reduce the number of knights when they come closer.

The bolt throwers need 5's to hit (long range), 5's to wound the machine, and then 5's to score enough wounds to destroy it. Not good odds in my opinion, especially as bolt throwers are prone to simply blasted by a magic missile to wipe out the gobbo crew. That's assuming that you're shooting the helblaster and not at the knights.

3) A combination of Fast cavalry - Wolf Riders and infantry would be more effective than an all infantry army. Wolf riders can bait while the infantry can ambush.

This is nice in theory, but what competent player would fall for a bait and flee with counter attack? As the empire general I would simply blast away with the helblaster removing all fast cav untill I had control of movement and then gang-attack each NG unit with both knight units.

Mephistofeles
10-12-2006, 12:50
I can't believe you just said that netters would be more effective against knights then fanatics...I probably miss-understood you somehow.

Anyway, the tip with using two big units of goblins, with fanatics and 3 shamen, could work really well. I wouldn't use the bows though, take spears and try to kill so many knights with magic and fanatics that he simply dies from combat res.

Now, if his army is somewhat like you say it is, then he will only be able to field more then 12-14 knights, and if that is two groups, then 6 in each. I can tell you that there will most likely be NO knights left after those fanatics have a go at them, seriously. It's at least 2D6 (4D6 if you take fungi for your shaman) Strenght 5 hits. They no longer ignore saves, but the Knights will still be wounded on 2+ and save on 3+. If we just assume you are EXTREMELY unlucky, you will kill 1-2 knights when they charge. That's 3-4 knights left. They can't even kill enough gobbos to win...

*edit* Well, they can kill enough, but they won't. I mean, they get like 4 attacks at most, and then the horses. If that kills 5 gobbos, then congrats to him...

Darktheos
13-12-2006, 07:32
Im playing in the Same 500pt campaign as him and the guy playing empire will never fall for a bait tactic trust me I tried alot so I could ambush him with Dryads.

Spoonie
13-12-2006, 14:02
Empire knights don't get a 3+ save against fanatics (thank god) they get a 5+. And that's only thanks to the engineering marvel that is full plate.

With 2 units with fanatics, I think you have the knights covered. I'd start thinking about ways to kill that helblaster.

showmydog
14-12-2006, 01:25
i thought fanatics allowed no save?
so empire knights would have.. no save.

Eulogy2
14-12-2006, 03:39
in the new book the fanatics are str 5, -3 armor save.

id rather have fanatics vs knights than netters. 2 per unit would be ideal but thats alot of your points in a few models for a 500pt gobbo army.