PDA

View Full Version : Warzone still alive

Piekarz
04-04-2005, 00:30
Does anybody there play this nice game?

BoosterX
04-04-2005, 19:01
I was in the store the other day and I saw this big box heavy box, and low and behold it was Warzone... A new edition release from Excelsior entertainment.

The pictures of the figs looked pretty decent. If I had money to burn I would have bought the box to get an idea how the game played and what the figs/rules looked like first hand.

You go to their web page and they have a very nice fig on the front, some of the new stuff is good too....but some of the older stuff is nasty :)

Piekarz
07-04-2005, 02:23
I played the newest edition few times. It was great fun. Much better that I ed. I didn't play II ed so i have no comparision. Still I need more experience to form full opinion.

robertsjf
07-04-2005, 23:02
I like the environmental rules! I've always been a fan of WZ and UWZ is a fun rule set.

worldshatterer
07-04-2005, 23:34
Warzone is still going, as has been said they even have a new edition out . Don't think there are many warzone players on temporary portent . Warzone seems to be having serious trouble with most of its veteran players, who make warhammer vets moaning seem like the song of a choir of angels . My personal problem with them, was that when i was interested in starting up i found it hard to get the new edition where i live, and virtually impossible to get the figures in England .

Try this link to see most peoples problems with the current state of warzone-

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=39062

Cacodemon
08-04-2005, 23:07
The new system's very nice. It reminded me lot of 40k 2nd edition (for those who don't know, it was the time when 40k was still fun), and really has the best of both editions before it.

I also like the background, having observed it for quite a many years and playing a number of different games set in the Mutant Chronicles 'world'.

EVIL INC
08-04-2005, 23:34
I like some of the minis and have seen several people who use a lot of them in thier 40k armies. Here is my addition to my army using thier minis...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Littlemurphy/Picture084.jpg

t-tauri
10-04-2005, 15:14
As one of the veteran whiners in the TMP thread above I wouldn't advise anyone to start Warzone. Excelsior Entertainment is basically run by the gaming equivalent of Coco the clown. If only i-kore had managed to keep hold of the license instead of EE getting it and i-kore starting void then there might be some serious competition to 40k.

The rulebook is huge and unwieldy with no sign of an errata or FAQ 12 months after release. Without exception the new mini sculpts are terrible. It's almost impossible to get in the UK. Some of the old stuff makes fantastic 40k Imperial Guard/Cultist minis which is what mine are used for now. If you can pick up the stuff cheap in a sale or on ebay then do it. Otherwise avoid.

worldshatterer
10-04-2005, 16:08
How did Excelsior manage to get the license? and what was the whole deal with Thom and Shockforce ? Cos on the miniatures page it felt like i'd be setting up a full blown jyhad against Excelsior if i asked, and i don't know as i wasnt gaming at the time .

t-tauri
10-04-2005, 16:48
I don't know anything about the shockforce angle myself. I know Shockforce seemed to be doing okay even having a UK agent who advertised in the UK gaming press and then suddenly vanished.

When Target went under the design team based in Edinburgh wanted the licence to continue the game as it was selling reasonably well but Target wanted to concentrate on other projects, which didn't involve mini gaming but wanted to use the background for computer games. I'm not sure of the exact timing but the designers formed i-kore and the Warzone background was sold to the highest bidder, Excelsior.

There was much bitching between Excelsior and i-kore as to who owned what. Certainly the first Void figures were intended to be Warzone releases but since the i-kore people hadn't been paid they kept them and released them themselves. That's why Warzone and Void seem so similar with US/German/Cybernetic factions.

Since getting the property Excelsior have produced figures from the old moulds which were the property of Target and added a few awful new figures while promising a great deal. The Ultimate Warzone book was something like two years late getting out which caused most of the players to go elsewhere. I wasn't keen on many of the changes where new troop types were introduced to use the crappy old sculpts. Rather like GW coming up with a new type of Cadian to differentiate the lead and plastic versions it allowed them to create a market for figures they couldn't otherwise sell as the sculpts were of early ninties vintage, but they had the moulds and didn't need to hire a new sculptor.

Twelve months after it appeared Excelsior still haven't produced much in the way of new releases or meaningful movement.

It's a shame because the Warzone background and some of the minis are as good as anything GW have produced.

Cacodemon
11-04-2005, 13:53
Gosh! TMP offers a quite shocking vision on EE, and sadly it's true. Nonetheless, the game is enjoyable even if the book contains a multitude of errors. Still, I can't see a very happy future for Warzone.

Piekarz
11-04-2005, 14:53
Gosh! TMP offers a quite shocking vision on EE, and sadly it's true. Nonetheless, the game is enjoyable even if the book contains a multitude of errors.
I agree.

Still, I can't see a very happy future for Warzone.
I hope you are not right. :eek: :(

robertsjf
14-04-2005, 20:29
If only i-kore had managed to keep hold of the license instead of EE getting it and i-kore starting void then there might be some serious competition to 40k.

Meaning that there wouldn't have been the whole Urban Mammoth Debacle if they kept WZ?

t-tauri
15-04-2005, 22:21
Meaning that there wouldn't have been the whole Urban Mammoth Debacle if they kept WZ?
Instead of all the work on VOID they'd have kept Warzone going. It wouldn't have lost the ground it did in consumer and retailer confidence and WZ could have become a big game and a serious alternative to 40k.

Whether they'd have avoided going under and respawning as Urban Mammoth is another matter. They'd probably have been in a better financial position, so maybe.

Coki
04-05-2005, 22:26
hmmmm

EE is a one man show. Thom worked alone at the Games Chronopia and Warzone. The future for the games is save.

Coki
Webmaster from www.chronopia-deutschland.de

worldshatterer
04-05-2005, 22:36
Thom is one man, who as far as i can gather is held in very low esteem by the international wargaming community . Have you read the thread on theminiaturespage that i posted a link to? Most folks seem to have given up on excelsior as being unable to deliver a quality of support and service comparable to void let alone warhammer .

Its a real shame i'd like to get into warzone, i like the background and some of the models are very cool . But to do so i'd have to convince people to buy the figures and the rules which i wouldn't want to do at the moment .

Coki
05-05-2005, 00:47
I did'nt need a big support. I make myself this. In Germany, they are translate the rules from english to german, and they support us with a league, campaign and more. This support exist before excelsior came out with the 2nd edition from chronopia.

Only the production by figures is important. The figures are in production. More doesn't interested me.

Coki

(Sry about my english ... its late ;) )

Melchor
06-05-2005, 01:58
I picked up both the Chronopia and the Warzon rulebooks the other day. They were on sale for 1 Euro each! One Euro! The fact that I was dealing with the Dutch edition suddenly didn't bother me at all... ;)
Both books are from 1997, so I guess they're the first editions.

Having read the Warzone book, it looks like a fairly good system. Though the editing is horrible and the spelling errors outnumber the stars themselves. :D (Could be the translator's fault.)
The models I've seen are horrible though, so I'll probably proxy some GW minis instead.

I might even cannibalize the ruleset for a 40k Skirmish game.

Neywon Darkson
16-05-2005, 20:06
I picked up the new versions of both Warzone and Chronopia. I like the newer version because all the old suppliments have been added to the main rule book. The games play fast and easily. At our LGS they are fast replacing 40K and Fantasy. many here have been looking for a good replacement for those games and we have found then. We're starting tourniments and league play and have a quickly growing number pf players.

Slappy
05-06-2005, 19:57
Well, if anyone is interested, I have a HUGE Dark Legion army for sale/trade.

KTG
07-06-2005, 23:45
I kind of like Warzone, but the fluff is cheesy and some of the minis are the worst I have ever seen for any game. And that Angel of Death car with statue on the back????? What I do like though, is daemonic creatures running around with guns. Very cool. I wish Bloodthirsters would carry around assault guns in 40k. . .

I have the second edition box set, and think it is a stellar set. Quality-wise one of the best box sets I have ever bought! And I did pick up some Dark Legion minis, but outside of that I just aren't crazy about most of the minis for sale.

Brother Pepe
08-06-2005, 14:47
That is something I like about warzone in that the 'god of war' or at least the evil legion of war believed in mini-guns. To this day I can't figure out why Khrone doesn't really want his troopers using heavy weapons.

Warzone I found to be fighting an uphill battle for me every game. Then again I did play the space Japanese, and everyone else played either the space germens or the space zombies.

I found many of games being.

Bio: Hi Iím a bio-giant.
Samurai: Hi, I have 2 swords and a rife.
Bio: thatís nice *boot to the head*
Samurai: AHH!!!

OR

Space German: *german, german, german*
Samurai 1: what is he saying?
Samurai 2: Don't know.
Space german: *german..German.* MP40 *german, german*
Samurai 1 & 2: O dear god the pain!!