PDA

View Full Version : New Mordheim Campaign - help!

Highborn
11-12-2006, 03:42
I'm trying to organise a new Mordheim campaign at our local club, but don't know where to start. We have 3 or 4 players who are definitely interested, 2 who have been playing for ages and have established warbands. We also have a solid core of WFB players who may or may not participate. We have club 6x4 and 4x4 WFB / W40k tables, with a healthy supply of terrain for those two games, though it's mostly woodlands.

Any advice would be appreciated, but my specific questions are:

1) With the two players with established warbands, is there any harm in letting them use these, or is the difference rather overpowering?

2) What size table and how much terrain do you recommend using?

3) Is any major advantage gained by players playing more regularly than others? We meet 4 times a month, and naturally not all players make all club nights.

4) How long does your average game take, including all post-match stuff?

5) How balanced are the experimental warbands?

6) How long should a campaign last before things get boring?

7) Any other hints and tips?

TKitch
11-12-2006, 03:57
1) Rating is a BIG deal. If they've got more than a 1 or 2 game lead, make them start over. Even if only a couple games, making everyone start from ground 0 is a VERY good idea.

2) 4' square for normal 1on1 games. 6x4 if they're 4+ player games. The more terrain the merrier! Especially if you can climb and such, it's a ball!

3) Yes there is. Each game will result in 15-25XP per warband, and stats and skills add up in a BIG hurry.

4) 90 minutes at most. (for a 2 player game. More players can take a lot more time, I've been in a 7 way game and it took 5 or 6 hours to complete, but it was a flippin BLAST.)

5) Depends on the warband, some are quite not, others aren't bad at all.

6) It can go quite a while. Warbands change frequently. Deaths are inevitable, and as a result you can run a campaign for a LONG time. (To get a leader starting with 20XP to 90, which is max for a hero, will take 20-25 games frequently. So, you're going to wait a long while to max any bands out!)

7) Nerf skaven. Seriously. Same for Shadow Warriors if you allow them. Also, skip lustria, the bands are more powerful than the book bands.

Dark Apostle197
11-12-2006, 04:10
Yeah, skaven are brutal... Not sure about shadow warriorsS(no experience with them) but sniping while hiding, then having a spell that allows all your warriors to hide if they are near the shadow weaver(or whatever) is not cool! lol

Highborn
11-12-2006, 05:48
*hides* I had my eye on Shadow Warriors myself ... mainly because I had some old High Elf Archer sprues that I've since converted. How would you recommend nerfing them?

Dark Apostle197
11-12-2006, 05:58
I'll check through the threads to see if I can find the one Tkitch suggested(meaning he is offline... What a noob:))

Dark Apostle197
11-12-2006, 06:00
well, here are the skaven nerfs incase you wanted(i'll still check for the shadow warriors)

easy nerfs to make skaven not be horribly broken:

1) Start with only 5 heroes. The sorcer becomes "Taken instead of a Black Skaven". 3 good heroes, and 2 youngbloods, as per mercs.

2) Vermkin to 25GC and make them 0-8

Then you're roughly ok.

This prevents stupid slingy of doom army, yet lets skaven keep the limit of 20 and such. It also doesn't require a huge rewrite, jsut a couple tweaks.

TKitch
11-12-2006, 12:16
shadow warrior nerfs:

1) change Shadow Walkers to 0-2
2) Make shadow Warriors 0-4
3) Remove sniper
4) Remove the "Hide in Shadows" Spell (just reroll it)
5) Don't let anyone play the 'Elven artillery' model. (Stand at one end of the board and shoot. Wait tilll they get to you. That's not nice, you should close for combat.

Highborn
11-12-2006, 23:21
Some of it, I can understand, but first seems quite extreme? Specifically, won't limiting the number of Shadow Walkers hamper the group's exploration quite badly, with a maximum of four heroes? The rest are sort of understandable, although to me it seems to cut a lot of the 'shadow' feel of the list. How powerful is hiding in the game, to need this sort of nerfing? Would simply limiting the number of models with ranged weapons help?

Anyway ... critique on list?
Shadow Master - Sword, Bow
Shadow Weaver
Shadow Walker - Sword, Bow
Shadow Walker - Double-handed Weapon
Shadow Walker - Two Swords

2 x Shadow Warriors - Bow
2 x Shadow Novices - Sword

Dark Apostle197
11-12-2006, 23:36
Two swords is not really worth it. Give something to your spellweaver, casters can be decent in combat unlike in WFB.

snurl
11-12-2006, 23:49
Definatly start your clubs games with new warbands for everyone.
If the vets with the established bands want to use them, let them only fight each other.

Put some suprises into your games. The Random occurance table from white dwarf is a good place to start.

TKitch
12-12-2006, 04:36
You're missing a rule.

<i> ALL </i> warbands have a max of 6 heroes. Regardless of how many they start with. By starting with 5 models with BETTER stat's than a human captain, you're kinda skewing the field.

A number of 12 model max bands start with 4 heroes (Drawfs are a notable one.)

It only hurts for a few games, till you can get another henchie or two ladded.

Highborn
12-12-2006, 05:26
Oh ... I didn't think about that thing that makes henchies into heroes, just thought it would be a permanent cap. That's fair enough then.

Any other curlies that can come up during the course of a campaign?

Setomidor
12-12-2006, 07:53
You should nerf the stun-spell of the shadowweaver as well... at least make him forced to cast it once per round or something, cause that spell is sick

thunderwolf
12-12-2006, 08:19
You should nerf the stun-spell of the shadowweaver as well... at least make him forced to cast it once per round or something, cause that spell is sick

I agree- this spell (and the surrounding warband) was almost enough to put me off the game altogether when I was young. I played my mate's shadow warriors around 5 times in one afternoon, with the same result each time- my hero would get stuck somewhere, then everyone got shot to hell, until I broke/fled. Doesn't make for the most fun of games...

TKitch
13-12-2006, 23:17
they changed it from 2D6 to D6 +1 or +2 I forget.

(someone with the annual check, I don't have mine on hand.)

commandergabriel
23-01-2007, 17:56
Don't know if anyone is still reading this as the last post was a little while ago... I've been running my own mordheim campaign for about 1 year now and it only gets boring when warbands have nothing to spend their money (GC) on. That's why I decided to make a few house rules... Let me know what everyone thinks...

1) Warbands MUST RETIRE when the leader reaches max experience - The leader then becomes a Dramatis Personae and can be hired by warbands of similar type.

2) The Retired Warband (see point 1) can continue with D6 randomly determined members... One of which is promoted to the NEW leader... This keeps warbands in 'check' and doesn't allow for insane rating differences.

3) My gaming club meets every other friday night, so I run narrative "mini-campaigns" lasting for 4 game nights...

4) Mini-campaigns are point based - 2 points for a win, 1 point for a loss and players can ONLY acrue points on campaign nights. Any # of warbands can enter the campaign and we usually each toss in a few $$ per warband, per player to have something to play for at the end of the mini-campaign.

5) Pick-up games can be played whenever. But no points are awarded if the game is played on a non-campaign night; although serious injuries carry into and out of the campaign.

6) At the end of the campaign the warband with the lowest total points has to retire 3 randomly chosen warband members; the warband with the highest rating gets the $$ in the pot.

7) We also set a goal for the player that can retire the most leaders in a set amount of time (i.e. 6 months).

It keeps things interesting but doesn't alter much in the game. I find that people do get bored when ther is nothing to look forward to. I also agree with TKitch - SKIP Lustria!!!!

Also, Skaven aren't THAT bad... I've been running them for the past year and can and have gotten seriously whooped more often than I've won. Don't get me wrong; I've had my share of the whooping but low leadership more often than not tends to kill me...

Aundae
24-01-2007, 02:02
I have never played a Mordheim campaign that lasted that long, but those rules sound AWESOME. :D Now I just need to find some players around here. :cries:

Lord 0
01-02-2007, 18:50
I agree with commandergabriel, skaven aren't that bad. I have played with and against them many times, and that 7 max leadership is a *serious* disadvantage in the mid-long term.

At the start you are only slightly lower than everyone else, but later on it means that you are often missing out on much scenario-specific loot.

The low leadership also means that tarot cards are a much riskier proposition compared to even the humans. Elves and dwarves can use them with impunity once they get Ld high enough.

It has been a while since I played and it may be fixed already, but if you are doing the desert setting you may want to nerf the magic lamp. It grants wishes and one of the wishes allowed is to have another lamp. This (combined with the money's paw - also a valid wish) can lead to a unit of 10 youngbloods on permanent lamp-polishing duty aquiring the party a near-infinite source of cash and gear.

The way we in my circle got around the whole high-warband vs low-warband thing was to allow people multiple warbands. When a warband was too high to take on a lowbie warband and be fun, why, the person would simply make another to level. This meant that most people would have a low warband and a high one and mutual agreement would decide which was played before the match. Generally it would be low-low or high-high, but sometimes people would voluntarily go up against the higher one if they felt they had a chance and wanted the under-dog xp.

Rabid Bunny 666
06-02-2007, 18:52
Also, stop trading between Warbands. In Slough, the Elf warbands were selling bootleg Ilthimar to other warbands.

Lord 0
12-02-2007, 14:58
Also, stop trading between Warbands. In Slough, the Elf warbands were selling bootleg Ilthimar to other warbands.

How were they doing this? As far as I know there are no mechanisms for inter-warband trade. Did the campaign leader come up with some house-rules?

Rabid Bunny 666
13-02-2007, 00:11
IIRC it was a house rule, generally for fun.