PDA

View Full Version : VPs for War machines

mattjgilbert
11-12-2006, 23:54
Came up in tonights game. My High Elf bolt thrower crew abandoned their machine but survived the game. The rules say you score half VPs if the unit is reduced to half or less the number of starting models (three in this case). I gave the points to my opponent as I felt the destruction of the bolt thrower itself justified it. Was I correct?

Gorbad Ironclaw
12-12-2006, 10:21
It's enough that there is no crew at the machine to give half points(or is it full?). So yes, you were correct.

Avian
12-12-2006, 11:14
War machines have their own VP rules described in the War machine section. It is in fact impossible to get half points for them. IIRC you get full points if the machine is destroyed or the crew are either dead or otherwise not with the machine. In any other case you get no VPs.

mattjgilbert
12-12-2006, 11:43
Cheers, I'll take a look in the War Machines section.

Tutore
13-12-2006, 05:55
I think that if the bolt thrower is destroyed, your opponent gets 100 VP. That´s how I always play.

Avian
13-12-2006, 11:14
Well, then you are always playing it wrong. :p

DeathlessDraich
13-12-2006, 18:21
War machines have their own VP rules described in the War machine section. It is in fact impossible to get half points for them. IIRC you get full points if the machine is destroyed or the crew are either dead or otherwise not with the machine. In any other case you get no VPs.

pg 102 Note on Warmachines: "...so it is not possible to score half the points of a warmachine, as it will always be all or nothing"

MattjGilbert: You also get the pts if the crew and machine are detached at the end of the game even if neither have been destroyed.

intellectawe
13-12-2006, 18:56
Without the need for starting a new thread, let me ask you guys this...

Thorek and his Anvil of Doom. How does victory points work for this unit?

I play it as a warmachine as that is how the unit is described as, a special kind of warmachine.

So even if I have ONLY one anvil guard alive at the end of the game, my opponent does not gain any victory points for the unit, due to the warmachine rules. I know Thorek is a character, but the Anvil never goes bellow US5 no matter the casualties. So if Thorek s killed, my opponent would get half of the units victory points, even though at the end of the game the "warmachine" is still on the table and denies my opponent any points?

Is this a grey area or am I missing something simple in the book somewhere?

How do you guys play this unit?

Sedekiel
13-12-2006, 22:40
My High Elf bolt thrower crew abandoned their machine but survived the game. The rules say you score half VPs if the unit is reduced to half or less the number of starting models (three in this case). I gave the points to my opponent as I felt the destruction of the bolt thrower itself justified it. Was I correct?

If the crew in the end of the game is not actually in a warmachine and just running around (smelling flowers, having picknick) all the warmachine pts are going to the opponent.

So even if I have ONLY one anvil guard alive at the end of the game, my opponent does not gain any victory points for the unit, due to the warmachine rules. I know Thorek is a character, but the Anvil never goes bellow US5 no matter the casualties. So if Thorek s killed, my opponent would get half of the units victory points, even though at the end of the game the "warmachine" is still on the table and denies my opponent any points?
IMHO the only way to take all points from an AOD (whether it is Thorek or not) is to kill the guards and the runelord. The AOD counts as a warmachine, it is not actually one.

Cheers fdr

Briohmar
15-12-2006, 14:18
Well, then you are always playing it wrong. :p

Actually, he is right. If the machine is destroyed full VPs are awarded.:D Assuming that the bolt thrower actually costs 100 points (I wouldn't know for sure, as I hate the cross dressing cone heads.)