PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

EddieH
13-12-2006, 20:28
Hi Guys, stupid question I know but is there a terminology thread anywhere?

I'm just not up on what MEQ or RaW or any of the other acronyms stand for.

Maybe someone could get a terminilogy thread set up for us less well read forum members.

Thanks

Maus
13-12-2006, 20:39
That'd be really useful. Took me ages to figure out what MEq was (Marine Equivalent), and I'm still not entirely sure what exactly qualifies as MEq.

bertcom1
13-12-2006, 20:44
Hi Guys, stupid question I know but is there a terminology thread anywhere?

There isn't one at the moment.

I'm just not up on what MEQ or RaW or any of the other acronyms stand for.

MEQ = Marine Equivalent - An army with usually T4 and 3+ save.

RaW = Rules as Written - Taking the rules at face value, that it means what it says, rather than guessing what the designers thought it meant.

Maybe someone could get a terminilogy thread set up for us less well read forum members.

Thanks

There's currently a discussion about the use of abbreviations in the "Future of Warseer" forum. Opinions include that abbreviations should not be used without explanation, as it excludes non-native-english speakers and newcomers from being fully involved.

Livia
13-12-2006, 20:46
MEQ = Marine EQuivelent.

Which is something that generally has a T of 4 and a 3+ armour save.

So MEQ's are, Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Necrons, etc.

Though often Sisters of Battle are considered MEQ's so I guess the more important bit is the 3+ save :)

RAW = Rules As Written. Used when explaining the letter of the rules, regardless of sense made or if they fit with the fluff.

EDIT: Aww, beaten to it at the last moment. :)

EddieH
13-12-2006, 20:56
I think for forum newbs and non-native English speakers etiquette dictates that you shouldn't use acronyms....or the forum gods should put a terminology/abbreviation sticky thread somewhere....that would be very usefull.

Thanks for the info though, now I know what people are going on about when they mention MEQ or RaW.

If anyone has any other acronyms that people don't know then post them to this thread and maybe we could collate them all later.

Maus
13-12-2006, 20:59
Yes, I think outlawing abbreviations would be rather unpopular. A simple sticky with a quick glossary-like explanation of the terms would be more than good enough.

EddieH
13-12-2006, 21:14
The abbreviation thread is available at - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54997

I think I'll go take a look.

Soyweiser
13-12-2006, 21:17
There is also a Nid specific terminology thread on warpshadow, this would be a good base for a similiar thread here.

http://forum.warpshadow.com/viewtopic.php?t=80

Edit
Damn to late.

nightgant98c
14-12-2006, 17:31
I personally don't like the use of abbreviations and acronyms. I'm fairly current on them, but I still come across a few that are new, and there are a couple cases where they abbreviations are the same for two things. And then there are those who will try to cut down everything, to the point where posts become gibberish.

CrazyHeeb
14-12-2006, 17:58
I had the exact same problems when I first joined a few months ago.

As a courtesy to my fellow forum readers, I try to spell the full word the first time I use it. Subsuquent uses may be abbreviated after the first.