PDA

View Full Version : Something for Dogs of War fans

Petey
14-12-2006, 23:15
I made this list for dogs of war and submitted it to GW. I hope if you re a fan of DoW you ll give it a read, maybe even a play and tell me what you think of it.

Thanks in advance for your time

ORKY ARD BOYZ
14-12-2006, 23:23
Hello

I've had read of your list and I must say it is well thought out, this list is actually reaaly, really good. one thing that bugs me, why the limited choice of mounts? say there was a general in Arabia (or whatever, just an example.) why couldn't the background of the character include unique mounts? By the way, if I were you I would sumbit it on warseer so it could be changed before it being submitted.

That said, you'll be lucky if they use it, unfortuately GW doesn't usually listen to the warhammer community, but I must say, this could replace the official DOW list, once again well done!:)

Eldem
15-12-2006, 02:27
Edited: message was removed for stupidity

superczhunk
15-12-2006, 03:24
This is a fantastic start to an updated DoW list. I would definitely play them if they were even remotely this cool. It allows for total customization of your army. You want dwarf pirates? No problem! You want Saladin's Muslim army from Kingdom of Heaven? No problem! You want the crazy cultists of Malal? No problem! It's limitless with these rules! :D

Eldem
15-12-2006, 04:54
ignore everythimg I said just had a chance fore more indepth reading and noticed these things are already there. GREAT LIST. But I think the skirmishes should be uite size 8 minimun and ae a bit over priced, also should have pistols.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
15-12-2006, 05:08
You know, if they didn't take away warhammer cronicles I wouldn't be suprised that this thing make it into white dwarf. Shame that GW doesn't like altyernate lists. Did you submit it to WD?

Petey
15-12-2006, 06:07
I sent it to England. I went to the web page for GW England and found the section that they claim they want to hear cool ideas, so i mailed it.

As to why i restricted unusual mounts in the list is because i felt that Mercs would not have the money to really afford such things in general, the only "common" special mount i could see is the pegasus (it being on most lists and living in most areas in the WH world). I like giant models myself, it just didn't fit the list i made, i think.

As to the skirmisher, we play tested it here in Boston and found that they needed to be a larger unit or it was way too cheap and useful to be a core unit. Also, i started them at 4 points before and it worked out too good so we up'ed them a little. I feel they are balance. As to the pistol, i just didn't think of it. Might be a good add.

I m glad you all liked the list, please pass it along and send me ideas for tweeking it. Maybe someone at GW will see it and do something with it, I hope so.

Mephistofeles
15-12-2006, 08:35
Ok, first of all, really good list! I really liked it, and if that was the real list, I think I would be tempted to actually doing DoW. Great work

Now, for som of my views upon things, these are just my suggestions and thought:

Dwarfs should be +1 point.

The Tilean Pikemen should just increase the cost of sellswords to 8, especially since I think you have downgraded the rules for pikes. (You have removed the "Always strikes first" rule...)

The tactic "Dauntless" should also make the enemy units not get +1/+2 for flanks and rear charges, or lower the cost to 10.

You should not add pistols as an option to skirmishers (like Eldem suggested) , since they may take the pistoliers background, right? Make pistols 3 points I'd say, since they are a lot less usefull now...

Snotteef
15-12-2006, 12:17
The Tilean Pikemen should just increase the cost of sellswords to 8, especially since I think you have downgraded the rules for pikes. (You have removed the "Always strikes first" rule...)

Pike rules are listed in the main book, he CAN'T change them. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

Bloodknight
15-12-2006, 12:28
Pike rules are not in the rulebook, they´re part of the DoW list.

Briohmar
15-12-2006, 13:35
I also had a bit of a problem with Pikes. When Charged, yes the Pike rules are as they should be, but there should be no reason why horses can't fight back when charged by pikes. In point of fact Pikes are by nature heavy and unwieldy, so I don't feel they should negate Cav bonuses unless they are charged.

Hobgoblyn
15-12-2006, 18:30
I think I would have liked to see background traits for Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, Halflings, Hobgoblins, and Orcs instead of just human equivalents...

In fact, the only one your list even makes available outside of RoR are Dwarves and only as special...

Lieutenant Frederic Henry
15-12-2006, 19:42
The thing is, all those units are already included in their respective army books (except the hobgoblins). If you want a mixed army with men, elves and dwarves, there's a neat little game called Lord of the Rings that might just suit your fancy.

Just Kidding. But seriously, Elves are unlikely to go renegade in large enough numbers to be readily available for hire by mercenary generals, Goblins and Orcs are rather hard to negotiate with (and what exactly do you pay them with? I shudder to think), Halflings are just silly little buggers unfit for military service, and Hobgoblins are rather rare aside from the Dark Lands. RoR already has mercenary units for all of these races anyway, so if you really want them, go right ahead and take a unit, since they're rather unique.

One thing that would have been cool, though, would have been the 'Swains' rule from the Lahmian variant list, i.e. the ability to include one hero level character from any race's army list to the army. This could give people the diversity they seem to want, and makes more sense in this list than the Lahmian's (I can see heroes being more universally seduced by money and pillage than by love, at least in Warhammer). Maybe then they can bring along one core unit from their list as their private retainers? I.e. One high elf mage can bring one unit of high elf spearmen, one Orc Big Boss can bring one unit of boys, etc. That sound cool to people?
Cheers.

lee
15-12-2006, 20:48
thats realy good i like it

Hobgoblyn
15-12-2006, 22:17
But, playing devils advocate here, if all you want is yet another random human army you could very well have just used Empire and/or Brettonian units to represent everything here and bypassed Dogs of War entirely.

The nice thing about Dogs of War is that you can mix and match unusual things together in exchange for lacking the ability to take the really hard-hitting units.

RoR doesn't really cover all possibilities and only allows you to take 1 single unit of the type.

So, for instance if I wanted to play Ghazack Khan's mercenary army then I can take 1 unit of Oglah Khan's Wolfboyz as a Special choice and then if I want various other green skins then I can take 1 unit of Ruglad's Armored Orcs (not bad support), but then the rest of my entire army absolutely has to be human? It doesn't really match the description of the army he is supposed to be leading.

Eldem
15-12-2006, 22:21
the reason I said add pistols is becuase I thought the tactics said only one unit could have this tactic. Also mabey make backgrounds for elfs, dwarfs etc as Merc leaders. Or a renegade rule.

Or make tactics more tha one per army some should be several other more rare ones should be 0-1

Petey
16-12-2006, 09:02
To answer some questions

I changed pikes from what they were before because the rules were too cumbersome and i felt they needed streamlining and being brought into the current state of the game. They can be summed up in 2 statements
"four ranks fight, two if they charge" and "they negate the enemy steed"
The reason i don t let the mount fight is because of how the battles we playtested worked out. Letting the mount get it's attack very much lessen the effectiveness of the pikes against cav. The way it is now makes in the list makes them viable and strong but not overpowered, but done in a quick and clean way. (the cost of pikes is what we've come to after playing with them a few time, give them a whirl and let me know if you think they need a change, and why)

The reason i kept non human units out of this list was because i felt they could always be added in later as a background, if they were really needed, and because i felt that they were sufficiently rare compared to humans that they could just all be regiments of renown. I tried in this list to separate regiments of renown from dogs of war a great deal (though still have them as compatible) though i could see making the hobgoblin khan having a rule allowing him to change light cav into hobgoblin wolf riders, still i would park that rule in regiments of renown.

As to why another human army, my answer is simple; I don't like what's available now, I made something that i thought people would enjoy in it's place. Many people like Dogs of war, and don't want an empire or bret army, I think this list doesn't function like either on the table and is still fun and tactically viable, but please don't take my word on it, have a trial game, see if you like it. If you think some stuff is off, i ld be happy to hear your thoughts on it.

These are what i've come up with, if you want to know what else i was thinking, just ask. Also I m trying to come up with something good for an arabi background, i have some ideas, if you re interested (or have a good idea) send me a tell.