PDA

View Full Version : Lack of IG Tanks in codex.

Still learning
15-12-2006, 07:12
Wait a minute. I thought IG was the army for the ppl who love to field tanks. I'm toying with my list and I wish I had more armour. Ok, theres the CHimera and the Russes. But what iIwould like is somthing inbetween the 2. A medium armoured tank with 2 or so heavy weapons on. for around 100-120 points.
Does everyone think such a tank is needed? maybe in the ellites section so it's competing with ST and Vets so ppl don't whore.

Sceleris
15-12-2006, 07:22
You could always look at the Armoured Company rules - they have access to a far wider variation of tanks, some of which would seem to fit what you are looking for (ie LR Exterminator has twin-linked Autos and LC/HB as standard, salamander Auto & HB). Alternatively look at some of the stuff available from the Forge World Armour books

devolutionary
15-12-2006, 07:24
piffle, take a Russ without sponsons. There ya go, a tank with two guns. The Imperium don't do compromise, though the closest you will see is the hellhound, a medium range, high damage, anti-infantry tank with a heavy bolter in a dast attack slot.

IG tanks are there for heavy support, and that is what the two main selections (Russ and Demolisher) are best at. There are two other options;
a) Imperial Armour books
b) Armoured Company

The IG codex is, after all, meant to be an infantry codex with heavy tank support.

Still learning
15-12-2006, 08:15
I don't wanna go AC because it's not legal in all trouneys and I like troops just as much as tanks. I'm just saying why arn't there more tanks in the IG list?

Mr_Smiley
15-12-2006, 08:42
I don't wanna go AC because it's not legal in all trouneys and I like troops just as much as tanks. I'm just saying why arn't there more tanks in the IG list?

Same reason a lot codexes are missing a lot of stuff they probably should have. GW just haven't got around to putting them in, or don't believe they need anything else.

Bookwrak
15-12-2006, 08:51
Ok, theres the CHimera and the Russes. But what iIwould like is somthing inbetween the 2. A medium armoured tank with 2 or so heavy weapons on. for around 100-120 points.

Sounds like you're talking about the Hellhound. Or a Sentinel squad. Don't forget about reaching out and bad touching someone with a Basilisk. Or get the Chimera Autocannon turret from forgeworld, and while we're talking about variant turrets, there's all sorts of lovely variations on the standard Russ one. The IG army is already quite well tanked. What more needs to go in the Codex when the basics are already pretty well covered?

ashc
15-12-2006, 09:17
Range of Imperial Guard tanks has been limited due to codex size restraint and lack of space in gw stores for selling those extra tanks.

seriously, look at forgeworld.

Ash

ReDavide
15-12-2006, 09:24
But what iIwould like is somthing inbetween the 2. A medium armoured tank with 2 or so heavy weapons on. for around 100-120 points.
You already have three separate choices that all fit this bill: basilisks, chimeras, and hellhounds.

The only AV set between a chimera and a Russ that the Guard lacks is the predator chassis. Given that you already have four different chassis whose armor differs by just 1 AV point from a predator's (chimera, basilisk/griffon, russ, and hellhound), I don't see any significant gap in the Guard's armor selection.

Are you instead maybe frustrated by the lack of anti-tank weapons on the Guard's lighter tanks?

xibo
15-12-2006, 09:48
the chimera is a medium tank. and its also well armed... autocannon, heavy bolter and machinegun... maybe a krak missile too?

Dragonlv8
15-12-2006, 09:59
I agree I think there should be a weaker version of a lemon Russ.

Wolflord Havoc
15-12-2006, 10:01
You could try an Exterminator Leman Russ - 20 points cheaper than a Standard Leman Russ. Fit 2 sponson heavy bolters and a heavy stubber and voila - a 14 shot/turn monster

As for AT - - I do not use my Tanks for taking on other tanks - thats the job of the infantrys Lascannon teams, veterens and platoon based missile launchers.

Slaaneshi Slave
15-12-2006, 10:54
You have your light tank, medium tank and heavy tanks.

Light Tank - Chimera
Medium Tank - Lemon Russ
Heavy Tank - Baneblade

Don't forget that the Baneblade was the main battle tank of the Imperial Guard for the longest time.

Spook101
15-12-2006, 17:57
One possible thing is that the IG is mostly troops, with very few tanks alongside them You cannot have more than 6 tanks, and that is if you have 3 hellhounds(fast attack).
The only way you can have more tanks is by following the Armoured Company rules and you already said that they are not allowed in some tournies.
Many IG players will try to use an army without any heavy support. I did once and tied a space marines army. (about 420 pts to 480 pts) It is the true challenge of the IG.
You have simple weak men with low power weapons and crappy armor against much more powerful weapons, stronger men, and better armor. You are the underdog, your only advantage is your numbers in men and the few tanks you do have.
The sign of a good player is one who can play with what they have and win. Who needs more variety in tanks when you have brains, guts, and some favor with the dice gods:angel: .

Rightnow
15-12-2006, 18:03
Can you take Forge World vehicles without opponent permission? (No tournaments of course.)

idinos
15-12-2006, 18:25
Yes, only superheavies need permission.

Maus
15-12-2006, 18:37
Really? That's very interesting . . .

. . . but my bank balance is going to be sending you an angry letter.

idinos
15-12-2006, 18:50
I will be forwarding it to FW, along with my credit card details for my next order.

Getz
15-12-2006, 18:54
For shame Guys - I thought you knew better than this...

For starters, the Chimera is an IFV, not a Light Tank. It may possess similar armour and firepower, but the role is quite different (reflected in the fact that they have to be bought as a transport - a Light Tank would have to be a scoring unit in it's own right if it is to be even vaguely realistic in function)

Yes. There is a hole in the IG tank line up - they do lack a Heavy Recconaissance/Light combat tank similar to the Real World M551 Sheridan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M551) or Scorpion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpion_tank) family of tanks.

There is, of course, the Salamander Scout, although that strikes me as being a bit too much of a Light Combat Vehicle. I think we need something, perhaps, a bit like this... (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Getz/Guard/DSCN0048.jpg)

Basically, I treat mine as a Hellhound with a Missile Launcher in place of the Inferno Cannon. They cost 120 points if you VDR them.

Lieutenant Frederic Henry
15-12-2006, 19:10
That looks suspiciously like a trimmed down Abrams. I dig.

Yeah, something like that would be great. However, you could also just buy a chimera for an armored fist squad, arm the squad as an infantry squad as per usual with a heavy bolter/missile launcher and plasma/grenade launcher, don't mount them up at all, and treat the Chimera as a light tank if you upgrade it to the autocannon/heavy bolter/hkiller missile configuration with smoke launcher and extra armor. Then it's free to drive around on it's own wreaking havoc. Voila! Light tank!
Cheers.

Maren
15-12-2006, 19:13
u could always take the destroyer or whatever its called with the main gun that can fire on the move as a defensive gun( i dont remember the name) thats a medium armed assault tank going by its rules and fluff. To me it seems perfect for your purposes.

Maus
15-12-2006, 19:18
Yeah, something like that would be great. However, you could also just buy a chimera for an armored fist squad, . . . Then it's free to drive around on it's own wreaking havoc. Voila! Light tank!
Cheers.
But then you're wasting points on transport capacity you'll not use that could be better spent elsewhere.

Still learning
15-12-2006, 23:35
Thank you Getz, when i originally started this topic, Thats the sort of tank i had in mind, Some of you agree that the IG is missing a tank in it line up.
What i would do to have the Hellhound have an option for an Autocannon Turret.

I'm interested in the Destoryer, can i take it in a regular IG list?

Getz
15-12-2006, 23:37
the Destroyer is Leman Russ Chassis armed with a souped up Lascannon - it's an out and out tank hunter.

I think Marna was actually refering to the Leman Russ Conqueror, which is a Leman Russ armed with a weaker (non ordnance) main gun.

That looks suspiciously like a trimmed down Abrams. I dig.

Does it? When I built it I was aiming for amore of a T34 look...

Greatoliver
16-12-2006, 00:01
Hmm...Predators seem to fill the slot quite well.

But is it just me, or do they seem a bit too good?

(Sorry for changing subject)

Slaaneshi Slave
16-12-2006, 00:25
I've never been much for Predators. Maybe its because the other Marine choices are a bit too good, too.

Lord Cook
16-12-2006, 01:24
Does it? When I built it I was aiming for amore of a T34 look...

Agreed, the turret is too small for an abrams. Wouldn't have stuck the smoke launchers on the cannon barrel like that though. Other than that, very nice. ;)

The problem with using a chimera as a light tank is the AV10 on the side. Might as well be damp cardboard. The closest thing the IG has to a medium tank in terms of AV is the hellhound, but the weaponry is all wrong.

Are the VDR even legal any more? They're so old you could abuse the system very badly. Wouldn't a mega battle cannon be S9 Ap2, with 72" range.--:wtf:

Bookwrak
16-12-2006, 02:18
They're as legal as anything, so long as you ask nicely. :angel:

Still learning
16-12-2006, 08:05
ok , STUG 3 proxy for Desroyer here we come. Might go and buy the parts i need tomz

Maren
16-12-2006, 09:52
I meant the Conqueror! With a defensive main gun it fits the spot of medium tank perfectly, able to fire on the move with several weapons but of course not as heavy as the standard leman russ.

fracas
16-12-2006, 11:29
you could also model sentinels with wheels as a light tank

Getz
16-12-2006, 16:22
I meant the Conqueror! With a defensive main gun it fits the spot of medium tank perfectly, able to fire on the move with several weapons but of course not as heavy as the standard leman russ.

Of course, it's armour is the same as a Leman Russ MBT, as is it's points cost. It's no medium tank, it's a heavy with a weak gun...

Splagbot
16-12-2006, 16:45
I'll be taking 3 Sallamander scout vehicles, they have an autocannon and souped up engines, it's everything your looking for.

Seriously, everything you need is in the Imperial Armour book, they're perfectly legal and there are some really fantastic tanks in there