PDA

View Full Version : FANTASTICO! I LOVE EBAY! Just picked up 2nd edition Space Wolves Codex for $11.45!

The Emperor
15-12-2006, 23:33
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/253221/2061559CodexSpaceWolves.jpg

WOOT! $11.45, including shipping. Just won this auction, and boy am I happy! :D A little background.

I bought Codex: Space Wolves on the day it came out, and played Space Wolves for years, afterward, alongside Blood Angels. Sadly, I lent out my copy of Codex: Space Wolves to the wrong person. I don't know how it happened, but the idiot SOAKED my copy. That left my book near worthless. Most of the pages ended up stuck together, and any attempt to pry them apart resulted in the pages getting torn. So eventually I just threw away my copy. :(

So as you can imagine, I'm THRILLED to have a new copy. Can't wait to get my hands on it and read it!

Sarigar
15-12-2006, 23:55
Cool. It reminds me of when we discovered all our Wolf Guard Terminators could have Assault Cannons. Man, was it brutal playing against the Wolves after that discovery.

Greatoliver
15-12-2006, 23:59
Is it more for collection and reading, rather than actual 2nd Ed. playing?

Grrreat!

senban
16-12-2006, 00:41
My 2nd ed Eldar Codex came in somewhere under 3. Perfect condition too.

cerealkiller195
16-12-2006, 01:43
yeh i would say you overpaid BUT sometimes its not always possible to get the cheapest prices. i think for all three original ork books + 2nd ed codex i got it around $75 a bit pricey but some of those books are really hard to get in mind condition.

jazzdude78
16-12-2006, 02:03
actually cereal killer thats a steal really
as WAAAGH tends to run close to 50-60 US (last I checked anyways)

The Emperor
16-12-2006, 06:20
Yeah, this isn't a flimsy book like the 3rd edition Codex. It's bigger then most current Codex's and is chock full of background information, and even includes a battle report between the Space Wolves and Orks.

PaRaSiTe_X92
16-12-2006, 11:20
Well, I wouldn't say he overpaid. $12 is about £6, and if senban paid £3 for his; not that great a difference really.

Hadhfang
16-12-2006, 11:26
nope, considering currend codicies are £12 each

cerealkiller195
16-12-2006, 14:59
matter of opinion, i know what i got was a steal and a half! but some people would consider those books "useless" and say i overpaid because teh lists are obsolete. I would love to try out a game of 1st/2nd ed just to see what it was like. When i first came into the hobby i witnessed the last 2nd ed game that this club was playing like a week or so before 3rd ed was released.

-Prime-
16-12-2006, 16:23
Thats cool. I started playing in 3rd edition, but have acquired almost all the 2nd edition codexes. I still need IG and sisters. Luckily they have all been near mint. :D

MegaPope
16-12-2006, 21:17
@cereal killer (great name BTW!)

I played 2nd Ed. a lot. It was a good game, but you really had to be content with skirmishes, unless you were playing truly massive games. There was a lot of variation with units and other things, although rules like hiding and overwatch tended to mean you ended up hugging cover.

Cover...hmm. Everyone these days goes on about ASM and how they should be reintroduced, but everyone seems to forget about the shooting mods for cover and other things that went hand in hand with them. It was often incredibly difficult to hit anything in the first place, especially for forces without high BS or targeter assisted weaponry. This was why a lot of guns had save modifiers- you wanted to be sure that each of your precious hits actually killed something! And yes, vehicles were tougher, mostly because there were far fewer of them, and they were pricier. Plus, shots that did get through their armour were lethal. Even blowing off a weapon could potentially destroy an entire vehicle via a flashback, or the crew could get massacred even without the tank being wasted.

The close combat system was also incredibly slow, and psykers were absolute monsters. In fact, the game often fell victim to 'Herohammer' syndrome when high level psychic warriors were overused. This is why I get a bit restive seeing the number of uber-characters and MCs popping up in modern 40K.

RT was fun, but even slower than regular 40K. Ideally, you needed a GM as well as the players, since a lot of stuff ideally demanded an impartial arbitrator. Not a game for major skirmishes, but if you want a really in depth interplay between small forces at squad level, I'd still recommend it. It's practically as good as Inquisitor in this regard. A warning though; psychic powers were even worse in this game than 2nd Ed, though in subtle ways. I once had a game where 3/4 of a 6'x4' table ended up coated in Ectoplasmic Mist by turn three. The only guns firing were grenade launchers (mortar-fashion, and totally ineffective;) ) and there was no close combat because the various Guard and Ork units involved couldn't even find one another!:D We called it a draw after turn ten!:rolleyes:

But the scenarios in the back of the book...they were a joy! Is there anyone else here who remembers 'The Pudding Is Coming- Ten Reasons Why You Should Believe'?:D

Kjell
16-12-2006, 21:25
You still don't have the Chaos codex, do you? :D

But congratulations. I too think that the 2nd edition books are rather nice, in their own way, and I'm still looking for the wargear book. Even if I would only be able to run smaller Chaos warband skirmishes it'd still be worth it.

It might be one clunky rules system that requires some house rule limitations to be remotely fair but it's very, well, charming. Flipping through the books makes me nostalgic, and I've never played 2nd edition at all. :p

Shadowfax
16-12-2006, 22:43
I picked up a brand new 2nd edition Nids codex on ebay for $2. The shipping was twice as expensive as the actual book. :D

The Emperor
16-12-2006, 23:32
You still don't have the Chaos codex, do you? :D

Got that fat bastard sitting around here, somewhere. :D (Great Codex, Codex: Chaos. Couldn't believe how big it was when it came out) With Space Wolves soon to be in my possession, the only 2nd edition Codex I'll still need for my collection is Codex: Orks (I never owned it, though. My best friend is the one who had it, as he was the Ork player. God, I loved that Codex, though! The Ork language bit was especially neat. Sadly that book, like my original copy of Codex: Space Wolves, also fell victim to water damage).

But congratulations. I too think that the 2nd edition books are rather nice, in their own way, and I'm still looking for the wargear book. Even if I would only be able to run smaller Chaos warband skirmishes it'd still be worth it.

It might be one clunky rules system that requires some house rule limitations to be remotely fair but it's very, well, charming. Flipping through the books makes me nostalgic, and I've never played 2nd edition at all. :p

It's been a bear rebuilding my collection (Would you believe I originally owned TWO sets of the 2nd edition boxed set? Unfortunately, I kept them both together in the closet, and a leaky roof ended up ruining both sets. I gotta say, I'm beginning to see a pattern, here. Thankfully, I got a new set a couple months ago), but with Codex: Space Wolves, Codex: Orks, and Dark Millennium (I have one set minus most of the wargear cards, so I'm gonna need another set) I'll soon have it all back, again. Gotta say, flipping through it all, I've got a huge urge to play a 2nd edition game again. Now all I need is an opponent. ;)