PDA

View Full Version : Fasa

SisterMordagg
16-12-2006, 07:19
So, looking at the Battletech thread made me wonder...

Why did FASA die? Their games seemed to sell well, and I know they have a rabid following.

After SR4, I really long for FASA to arise from the ashes.

jazzdude78
16-12-2006, 09:54
FASA unexpectedly ceased active operations in early 2001, but still exists as a corporation holding IP (intellectual property rights) which it licenses to other publishers. Contrary to popular belief, the company did not go bankrupt. Allegedly the owners decided to quit while the company was still financially sound in a market they perceived as going downhill. Mort Weisman had been talking of retirement for some years and his confidence in the future of the paper-based games business was low. He considered the intellectual property of FASA to be of high value but did not wish to continue working as he had been for the last decade or more. Unwilling to wrestle with the complexities of dividing up the going concern, the owners issued a press release on 25 January 2001 announcing the immediate closure of the business.

from the FASA wiki

EDIT: theoretically they could rise form the ashes provided any licenses expire and they want to

Wing Commander
16-12-2006, 11:27
Fasa did not "die", it was put down so that the owners could transfer over to clicky tech which they foresaw as a far more lucrative licence. In this respect, they were entirely correct as it has proven to be the proverbial "cash cow" and is still spinning of video games, toys, etc.
Many of the massive and once-loyal fanbase feel very disaffected by this and what they perceive as the very poor treatment which the battletech lines received in the apalling Jyhad storylines, after all it was those fans 2 decades plus of support that got fasa where it was in the first place.