PDA

View Full Version : my own regiment

sagittar slaith
16-12-2006, 13:54
i am currently tinking about reating my own imperial guard regiment. i have no idea what to call them yet, but my main problem is that i dont want tem to be armed with lasguns. i want a regiment that is not as well euipped as your normal regiment. so i was thinking if there is any legal way of having imperial guardsmen without lasguns. i have found that if you cut the strange little bits off the top of a lasgun, asnd clip the energy cell away, then it looks like what i am looking for, i just need to get rid of the lasgun rules. any ideas?

Gaebriel
16-12-2006, 13:59
You could use them as Autoguns (= assault rifles). Conveniently, Autoguns have the same stats as Lasguns - info from 2nd edition, also mentioned in some Chapter Approved article or Codex-sub-list in 3rd, don't ask me where I read it...

jubilex
16-12-2006, 14:02
Autoguns, shotguns? Not sure you should get rid of the lasgun rules, that is what they are equipped with after all. But if you mean to use legal codex weapons as written, but model and call them something different then that would be fine afaiac.

Angelus Mortis
16-12-2006, 14:16
You could use them as Autoguns (= assault rifles). Conveniently, Autoguns have the same stats as Lasguns - info from 2nd edition, also mentioned in some Chapter Approved article or Codex-sub-list in 3rd, don't ask me where I read it...I agree. This is a interesting idea I have kicked around also.

sagittar slaith
16-12-2006, 20:54
Conveniently, Autoguns have the same stats as Lasguns

i thought that lasguns have no AP value, where autoguns have AP5?

Angelus Mortis
16-12-2006, 20:55
Conveniently, Autoguns have the same stats as Lasguns

i thought that lasguns have no AP value, where autoguns have AP5?

Nope, they are identical. Only difference is the name and fluff really. You are probably thinking of Hellguns used by Stormtroopers, which are identical except they are AP 5.

Reflex
16-12-2006, 22:41
what you can do, if you want an old school feel, like WWI/WWII rifle company feel is, you could get boxes of German/British/American/Canadian/Japanese/Russian (which ever one you like te look of) rifles from a hobby store, in 1/35 scale and instead of lasguns you efectivly have a cool looking rifle company, and you could say they are autoguns.. but there is no other way to give guardsman a higher steangth weapon, your stuck with the number between 2 and 4...

man, i wanna do that now... a whole guard army with bolt action Lee Enfield's... or P17's... or... oh the possiblities are endless... ;)

Helicon_One
16-12-2006, 23:09
If you want something less powerful than lasguns.... doesn't really leave much to choose from (pity there's no Shotgun doctrine, really) apart from the hilariously overpriced warrior weapons. Autoguns for the grunts and maybe Hardened Vets with shotguns is probably as much as you can manage.

Tim

Chainsworded Codpiece
17-12-2006, 02:41
Yeppers, autoguns is the way to go.

If you really want to make the 4949th Platitudina XIV "Fightin' Ordinary Chumps" (or whatever) truly down-in-the-dumps below average...

...give them "out of ammo" rolls, something like from Necromunda. Apply it to whole units at once, for extra laffs.

Also, only allow Heavy Stubbers as the support weapon for any unit that isn't elite.

This will truly impart the "not as well-equipped" feeling. And be hil-AR-ious for you and your opponent.

The upside? Lower the points cost for regular units drastically, to make up for all their shortcomings! That way, you might win by force of numbers. people Power, baby! Well, not likely, but a fella can hope...

The regiment's motto?

"You'll likely kill us all, you wretched bastards, but by the time you do, you'll be out of ammunition! Suck on THAT!"*

*This might sound better in pseudo-Latin, or colloquial Spanish or something. I wouldn't know.

Reflex
17-12-2006, 02:58
...give them "out of ammo" rolls, something like from Necromunda. Apply it to whole units at once, for extra laffs.

"ok, shooting phase... um... ok no shooting..."

"why not"

"cant you see, my army has no ammo..."

opponent then laughts and an aneurysm pops in there brain...

see why wouldent you! your almost guarenteed victory!

Rhamag
17-12-2006, 03:18
As long as the guns don't look like bolters, shotguns or hell-guns, I can't imagine that anyone would imagine they are anything other than lasguns. Go for it, fella.

Angelus Mortis
17-12-2006, 10:10
Man it was hard to find these pics but here they are. http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/imperialguard/painting/ig_catalog_conv/default.htm This was featured in White Dwarf 300(US) which was a super-sized anniversary issue. A better pic is featured on page 152 of that issue. This is a very nice looking old-school themed IG squad. I would love to see a whole list of these. IMHO, it appears they are using Autoguns and not Lasguns(in the WD issue that is). Same rules, just fluff difference.

what you can do, if you want an old school feel, like WWI/WWII rifle company feel is, you could get boxes of German/British/American/Canadian/Japanese/Russian (which ever one you like te look of) rifles from a hobby store, in 1/35 scale and instead of lasguns you efectivly have a cool looking rifle company, and you could say they are autoguns.. but there is no other way to give guardsman a higher steangth weapon, your stuck with the number between 2 and 4...

man, i wanna do that now... a whole guard army with bolt action Lee Enfield's... or P17's... or... oh the possiblities are endless...
I absolutely agree. Combine the WWI/WWII style rifles with long bayonets fixed on the models I just shown, and that would be a beautiful and interesing IG list indeed.

sagittar slaith
18-12-2006, 18:51
thanks for all the advice, i will try to get hold of some 1/35th scale rifles, and, by the way, i have a name for my regiment. they are the cerovian 5th. or the cerovian rifles, i am undecided

Jo Bennett
18-12-2006, 19:12
How about the the 5th Cerovian Rifles? Saves you making a decision.

Angelus Mortis
18-12-2006, 21:15
How about the the 5th Cerovian Rifles? Saves you making a decision.Yeah, there you go. I like that one. Very nice.