PDA

View Full Version : DOW in Chaos Army

General Samuel of the 101
16-12-2006, 18:42
could you accept DOW Pikemen and Heavy Cavalry in a Mortal Chaos Army?
i was thinking of a Free Company traveling far too north to rent their services
so what you think? :D

Makaber
16-12-2006, 19:15
DOW isn't a homogenous army, so it really depends how they're represented. I'd be a bit ticked-off if someone just used the bog standard Tilean variety simply because it would make the army better. However, if they obviously had some thought put into it and the pikemen looked and felt like someone unsavory enough to sell their services to the servants of the Dark Gods, I'd have no problems with it.

SlaaneshSlave
16-12-2006, 19:31
I'm all for adding variety. Pikemen? Sure. I'd even be fine with a cannon.

Now Korne buying a DOW magic user would be lame...

16-12-2006, 20:39
now in that case,it very much Contraried by every Khorne fluff
maybe not with a Cannon,as you suggested
because of one question
¿how they get the cannonballs and the gunpowder in the northern wastes?
and yeah i know there is Chaos Magic

Mephistofeles
16-12-2006, 20:45
The DoW could have brought cannons, gunpowder and all that lot with them I guess. I think they would do that anyway.

If you managed to get some ragged, unfriendly dark looking god fer nuttin sell swords and use them as pikemen, I would think it was amongst the coolest things ever!

*Edit* A DoW unit like pikemen would be cool, since it's not really a crutch for Khorne, since they have great Close Combat already. Crossbowmen would be pushing it, a cannon would be on the verge and magic user: No way in hell... :p

Inkosi
17-12-2006, 15:46
Its impossible for me to put any DOW into my Khorne army background.

not to mention that i would hardly be able to find points to accomodate them.

17-12-2006, 19:11
i got almost 300 points to waste,as i already have a Unit of Chaos Warriors,2 units of Marauders and the Exalted Champion
so what think i should add of the DOW list?

Reabe
17-12-2006, 19:33
A Dark Emmisary would make sense in any Chaos army, Khorne or not. :D

Neknoh
17-12-2006, 19:59
The bad thing about Khorne is that he has been reduced to "Blood! RAWR! SKULLS! SomE MORE RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Khorne admires martial prowess and skill at arms, and he doesn't hate magic in itself, he hates the trickery of it (everything that Tzeentch stands for) but a martial lunatic throwing fireballs arround him mounted in a chariot would suit khorne quite decently (Sorceror, Berserker Sword, level 2, undivided chariot to ride in).

Also, a khornate general could very well have a habit to challenge prisoners he would find worthy of battle, if the prisoner then would survive the challenge for a certain ammount of time, then the khornate lord would give him two choices, either be given an ammount of gold and armour etc. and be given a horse so that he could get himself home, or, he could join them, THAT is the true spirit of Khorne, no matter what, that prisoner is then likely to admire the khornate generals prowess and honour and will so be sucked into the worship of Khorne. I can see Slaaneshi generals doing the same, except they'd be more of a cat, playing with his victim and then showing no mercy, or just do it for the fun of it (think Kadaj from Advent Children here)

Feor
18-12-2006, 00:53
Indeed a unit of DoW warriors "magically enthralled" to the forces would also be a reasonable way of getting them into the army. They're somewhat fickle with their loyalties to begin with, a lord of Tzeentch would probably have little trouble getting inside their heads.

plus some of the Regiments of Renown would have no trouble with Chaos. The Manflayers and Rugluds Armoured Orcs leap to mind, and the various Ogre DoW units.

pwrgmrguard
18-12-2006, 01:18
where can i find the Dow list and rules?, i'm new to fantasy and am looking for some shooting a little less drastic than a hellcannon for my khorne horde.

Inkosi
18-12-2006, 03:54
The bad thing about Khorne is that he has been reduced to "Blood! RAWR! SKULLS! SomE MORE RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Khorne admires martial prowess and skill at arms, and he doesn't hate magic in itself, he hates the trickery of it (everything that Tzeentch stands for) but a martial lunatic throwing fireballs arround him mounted in a chariot would suit khorne quite decently (Sorceror, Berserker Sword, level 2, undivided chariot to ride in).

*coughs*

erhem i disagree with it.

Khorne favours martial prowess and skill at arms, Yes true. but why??

Because it would bring him more skulls and blood. Martial Prowess and skill at arms are instruments of showering Khorne in skulls and blood.

Khorne champions are always seeking out other champions in challenges, wanting to prove their worth by the blood of their enemies of their own.

See through close combat.

Yes, a martial fireball casting lunatic on a chariot is nice, but notice, hes got the mark of undivided, not the mark of khorne. He is not favoured by khorne. And i see no place in my army for those not favoured by khorne.

There's a reason why there is no khorne marked socerors.

Krusk
18-12-2006, 05:00
You could stick a DOW cannon into a chaos army. It doesn't have to be a normal cannon, if anything, it would probably be a bit odd. Basically something like a Hellcannon, only smaller, and controlable enough that it doesn't rampage, it just tends to explode occasionally, sucking the screaming crew into the warp with it. Even a Khornite Chaos Lord would see the value of something you could use as a siege engine. The sooner the walls come down, the better.

Cacodemon
18-12-2006, 06:16

Khorne admires martial prowess and skill at arms, and he doesn't hate magic in itself

Bad thing about Khorne is that they changed the background of Khorne in the 5th edition (along with the hierarchy of gods, originally there was no indication who was the strongest etc). Originally he was interested only in the letting of blood, be it your friends or your enemies blood, be it an innocent child or a seasoned warrior. He didn't care how the blood was flown, by slit of the throat or bashing of the head, all the same.

Now he's just a bland 'Crom'-like patron of warriors.

Damien 1427
18-12-2006, 11:56
Now he's just a bland 'Crom'-like patron of warriors.

He was the God of War long before he was the God of RAWR SKULLS SMASH BFTBG. This included missile weapons, and many of the original daemon engines were dedicated to his service.

As such, no, I wouldn't have a problem with a DOW Cannon in a Khorne army. Just have it converted to represent one forged within the Chaos Wastes and crewed by servants of the Blood God.

Cacodemon
19-12-2006, 11:23
He was the God of War long before he was the God of RAWR SKULLS SMASH BFTBG. This included missile weapons, and many of the original daemon engines were dedicated to his service.

As it is, in the current background followers of Khorne are very hand-to-hand orientated. I would have no qualms facing 'Daemon-wrought' DOW cannons either.

EvC
19-12-2006, 12:24
Given that seemingly half the Chaos stories where they invade the Empire talk of Pikemen, missile troops etc. it would seem that adding DoW is a must if you want your force to reflect the "background"!!