PDA

View Full Version : Using the Best you can...

IronNerd
17-12-2006, 00:06
The "Purpose of Comp Score" post got me thinking. I, being an IW player, have run into all kinds of people who get mad at me for being "too powerful". When I first started, I did use 9 oblits and min/maxed troops. As I progress I put more and more marines in (3 squads of 8 and 1 of 10 currently) but since I still take 6 obliterators, I still catch flak. Another example was 3 vindicators or 3 land raiders. What other combinations are hated? Shouldn't we be taking these units if they're good? I think repetition can help lists, especially the sought after themed lists. Anywho, what do you guys think?

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
17-12-2006, 00:17
There are armys that abuse there priveleges, like how you used to do yours. However your current set up seems fine to me. Use your advantages, just don't abuse them.

Slaaneshi Slave
17-12-2006, 00:32
Advantages are there to be abused, but some lists, such as Iron Warriors are inherently more powerful than most, so you will always catch flak.

Hellebore
17-12-2006, 00:37
The problem I think comes in what you define as abuse.

In order to actually USE the advantages of an iron warriors army list though, you DO have to do certain things.

Like take at least 4 obliterators, and a vindicator/basilisk.

If you don't do this, then you aren't using any of the advantages the iron warriors get, which makes the whole thing pointless.

The problem is people see the advantages of the iron warrriors as being completely unbalancing, and so ANY army that plays to its advantages is referred to as abusive.

Hellebore

chaos0xomega
17-12-2006, 00:43
hellebore, while i can see your angle, I think you are wrong. Taking 9 oblits, 2 Defilers, a bassie and a dread, plus a cheapass HQ and loading up on troops in a 2500 pts is unblanaced? Who knew. Simply taking those things doesn't make my army unbalanced, taking these things in a 1k pt game is unbalanced.

Gensuke626
17-12-2006, 00:43
My friends always hated it when I Took 2 squads of 6 Fire Dragons in 2 Flacons with a Starcannon, Holofield, and Spirit Stones (Last codex). Kept claiming I was flying an unkillable tank around the field...which wasn't entirely true...

My orks don't seem to bother anyone yet, but once they realize that I do plan on using the 21 inch charge every game and every chance I get, they may change their tune...

Hellebore
17-12-2006, 01:09
hellebore, while i can see your angle, I think you are wrong. Taking 9 oblits, 2 Defilers, a bassie and a dread, plus a cheapass HQ and loading up on troops in a 2500 pts is unblanaced? Who knew. Simply taking those things doesn't make my army unbalanced, taking these things in a 1k pt game is unbalanced.

I'm not sure what this is in response to from my post sorry.:confused:

I was just saying that if you take any army with a certain list composition, and then don't actually MAKE said army using those themes (in the case of Iron Warriors: obliterators, vindicators, and basilisks) you aren't really playing that army are you?

But if you DO build said army, many would call it abusive. The problem is in the design of the list methinks - when they say that the army's character is basilisks and obliterators et al, and then allow you to take a crap load of them, it certainly becomes open to being called abusive.

It's like people who justify their minmax las/plas tac squads with some halfassed fluff about masters of laser weapons and friends of the mechanicus etc etc.

The army ends up with a lame justification to give a powerful force.

Hellebore

Morgrad
17-12-2006, 02:06
Meh - I don't care what my opponent brings. 9 oblits? OK - that's 18 wounds needed to kill a massive number of points. I can do that.

If your list allows it, and you bring it, you'll never hear me whining about it. I'll just whip your ass and then tell you how you could have done it better. :D

Marshal2Crusaders
17-12-2006, 02:13
Ive never had the displeasure of facing someone who abuses their list. It helps me think that there are actually gamers out there who dont want to power game. I do however get mad whenever my opponent leaves em out on the little details and roles for them without explaining them. but thats just me.