PDA

View Full Version : New WFB Lizardmen army

Paulus
17-12-2006, 11:35
Hi everyone!

Following some long & hard thought, I've decided to start up a new Lizardmen army :D (last army I had collected back in 5th edition).

Have just ordered a box of Saurus, Skinks & a Slann from mail order (gives me something to do whilst I'm off work over Christmas).

I'm planning on basing all my units on actual Reptiles/Amphibians/Dinosaurs, so there won't be much of a continuous theme within the army!

I've attached a few pics (on the next posts) to explain what I intend on doing - comments & criticisms would be much appreciated.

Paulus
17-12-2006, 11:44
Saurus Warriors

I intend for these Saurus to be playable (if poss not got or read the rulebook yet!) as a unit which has been blessed by Sotek.

When looking at a few different Snakes to base the paint scheme around the one that stood out most to me was The Coral Snake.

I intend on giving them hand weapons as this most befits the theme of the unit.

I'll paint the bodies red with the spine of the scales black & yellow to either side. Not sure yet about the shields going to go with brown a think.

Basing will be heavily jungle themed as I see this as a distinctly Lustrian army.

The Champion will be slightly modified with green stuff, I'm going to give him a longer tail & fangs.

Paulus
17-12-2006, 11:51
Skinks

The first unit of Skinks will be gave poisoned weapons & I see them coloured as Poison Dart Frogs.

Looked through Google to find some images & the one attached really stood out to me.

I'll do them with a vivid blue body, black scales & I'm thinking green shields.

May do some adaptions to them but not sure yet.

Paulus
17-12-2006, 12:08
Slann

I was watching Planet Earth on BBC the other day & saw these tree frogs & was thinking how there colour will look on a Slann.

This is the model that has really made me want to get Lizardmen again so I want to do my best possible paint job on this.

Going to paint the palanaquin in a sand stone colour rather than grey stone that GW used.

Will probably do the Skink as an albino type so that he stands out as different from the other Skinks & stands out on the Planaquin.

I'm going to be trying a lot of blending/feathering on the skin so could be interesting as I've not done that before!

Will also be trying non metaillic gold on all of these Lizardmen which will be my first attempt at that too!

Going to heavily base the model with foliage so that it looks like the Slann is hovering above the jungle base.

Paulus
17-12-2006, 12:10
Forgot the attachment for the Slann!

Jigsaw
17-12-2006, 13:43
Any pictures yet?

Paulus
17-12-2006, 13:52
Not yet, only ordered them this morning. There due next week.

I'll do one each of the Saurus & Skink's as test pieces first but I'm not the quickest painter about so may take me a while.

HiredSword.
17-12-2006, 14:24
doing a slaan as a red eyed tree frog? That sounds cool, i'd be really interested in seeing the end result. Adding some glossy varnish might look like wet skin.

All those different colours might make your army look too disorganised, so i'd advise using a selection of paints to mix to get the colours you want, and also to paint weapons and armour the same through out.

Paulus
17-12-2006, 14:33
doing a slaan as a red eyed tree frog? That sounds cool, i'd be really interested in seeing the end result. Adding some glossy varnish might look like wet skin.

All those different colours might make your army look too disorganised, so i'd advise using a selection of paints to mix to get the colours you want, and also to paint weapons and armour the same through out.

I'll prob select a pallet of about 10 or 12 colours to work from as was thinking the same thing, want it diverse & bright but not too the point that it look's silly.

Was thinking about gloss varnish for a while but I'm not sure as i reckon might take away from highlights & such.

HiredSword.
17-12-2006, 16:03
yeah, obviously it depends how much gloss you put on (i've never used it so don't listen to me too much).

10 or 12 different colours sounds like a lot, does that include different tones?

Paulus
23-12-2006, 17:43
yeah, obviously it depends how much gloss you put on (i've never used it so don't listen to me too much).

10 or 12 different colours sounds like a lot, does that include different tones?

Change of plan!

Stuff has now arrived & for first few core units will follow the GW colour scheme.

I'll do my Kroxigor, Chameleon Skinks differently though as I'm not keen on the GW schemes.

The Coral Snake Saurus will come later now as a Sacred Spawning of Sotek as I like the idea too much to ditch it (also helps the overall theme of the army)!

I'm off to the pub now but should hopefully get at least one unit prepped tomorrow.

P.S. A guy named Mark Tait beat me to it with the Slann idea - his is shown on the showcase page of the hobby section in the Lizardmen book - still goin to do it though :)

Crazy Harborc
23-12-2006, 21:49
Got my attention.:D

I've got an on again of again "need" for a Lizzie army. I've got the horney-tailed, four legged tank. Got the Old one on a T-Rex, got a Slann Mage on a floating yard chair and I've got 24 Temple Guards. Skinks, lots of skinks....did I mention skinks?

Photos, looking forward to lots of photos......visual aids are good, they are they are.:D

Paulus
24-12-2006, 11:16
There will be photos, I currently have one partially assembled Saurus in front of me.

I shall continue with the rest later today as I'm a little hung over at the moment.

Beer + knife + me = Disaster

Paulus
29-12-2006, 10:47
Saurus & Skink's now assembled!

Took time with all cleaning, assembling & filling gaps. Now onto basing & undercoating (hopefully this will be done today)!

I'll need to pick up some batteries for my digi cam (they pick the most inconvenient times to run out!!) & then have next week to hit the painting & get some pics posted :)

After that am back in work so progress WILL slow down even more :(

Voronwe[MQ]
29-12-2006, 16:32
Doing a Slann out of a red tree frog? I bet it'll look quite funny! Good ideas.

Voronwe

Paulus
02-01-2007, 13:29
All the Saurus & Skinks are now assembled, based & undercoated - Yippee!

Now to the fun bit of actually painting them :) Once I've got one painted I'll post a pic.

As said earlier I will now be going with the Eavy Metal blue colour scheme. Hired Sword helped me realise I was getting a little carried away with the number of colours I was using & the army would look a bit rag tag.

The Coral Snake Saurus are not gone though they will be done as a blessed spawning of Sotek but not just yet.

I've got my hands on a Dremel 300 now so once the painting is underway I will assemble my Slann & also my newly acquired Stegadon which a friend has kindly contributed free of charge!

Paulus
03-01-2007, 01:59
I'm REALLY struggling to get the scales on the first (test - prob wind up in the middle of the unit to hide it) Saurus warrior.

I tried enchanted blue as in the army book highlighted with enchanted blue/skull white mix, but it looked awful.

Tried a blue wash on it, but still no good - far too glossy for my liking.

Then tried regal blue dry brushed with enchanted blue - so far this has gave the best appearence, but still I wasn't happy with it.

I tried highlighting the dry brushed scales with a enchanted blue/skull white mix on the edges but it made them too light in comparison to the ice blue body. So I shaded with a little watered down Chaos Black which still just doesn't look right.

Would anyone be able to advise me on where I'm going wrong, it's literally just the scales beyond that I'm fine?

Thanks,

Paulus

beefpizza
03-01-2007, 06:56
we need pictures!

HiredSword.
03-01-2007, 12:44
what beefpizza said.

Paulus
04-01-2007, 10:37
Here you go WIP shot of the first Saurus Warrior - apologies for the poor quality of the pic, I haven't got my digicam up & running at the mo so it's taken with a camera phone.

Paulus
05-01-2007, 00:15
Saurus is pretty much done now, little bit of basing left final high lights on the skin.

I want to high light the scales but enchanted blue + skull white looks a little too bright, any advice?

Crazy Harborc
05-01-2007, 00:50
Looks pretty good to me. I suggest getting the rest of them painted, then experiment to get the scales looking the way you want.

I don't have any secrets to get that perfect look on my minies/models. I wish you luck. Practice and in time "that's what I want!!" will just happen.;)

Paulus
05-01-2007, 01:00
Looks pretty good to me. I suggest getting the rest of them painted, then experiment to get the scales looking the way you want.

I don't have any secrets to get that perfect look on my minies/models. I wish you luck. Practice and in time "that's what I want!!" will just happen.;)

Thanks, I think that may be my approach for now, I have a test Skink to do next as I like to try get niggling probs out of the way before approaching batches of mini's so that I can just press on with them.

Looks like I may just try get the bulk of the 2 core units done first then come back to highlighting the scales before I varnish them.

scarletsquig
05-01-2007, 01:38
Skin and shield looks great!

But with the scales, you might wanna try something a little darker.. probably regal blue instead of enchanted blue as a basecoat... this'll then let you highlight the scales with enchanted blue folllowed by a mix of enchanted blue/ice blue, or enchanted blue/shadow grey. Up to you... I usually prefer mixing with shadow (or even space wolf) grey because I think ice blue makes it too bright, and plain white makes it too chalky.

Perhaps lose the ink wash and work up the highlighting from midnight blue?

Paulus
05-01-2007, 01:47
The ink wash was experimental as I try not to use them (I'm not a fan of the glossy sheen they leave), I usually just water down paints.

I have actually painted over the ink in the pics with regal blue & then individually painted the scales with enchanted blue (did try regal high lighted with enchanted prior that but wasn't happy with the appearence).

Thanks for the compliment on the shield that & the head are the bit's I'm happiest with - shame the pics don't show the metallic highlights properly as I'm very happy with how they turned out.

beefpizza
05-01-2007, 02:34
I like it! Classic and clean!

Paulus
05-01-2007, 08:09
I like it! Classic and clean!

Thank you :) .

Paulus
06-01-2007, 16:49
I've finished the Saurus - Tried Ice Blue on the scale high lights & was really happy with the look.

Decided to change the base colour too as felt the green looked a little odd.

Have attached a WIP shot of the test Skink as well, long way to go with that yet & I'm not looking forward to painting the teeth!

McMullet
06-01-2007, 18:40
Very nice work. I think the change in base-edge colour was a good decision, it looks much better.

Good luck with the project, it's nice to see another Lizardmen army! :)

bluebugs
06-01-2007, 20:33
I think this all looks really good. Very classic out-of-the-book kinda paint job though. If you don't mind try to put your own spin on it, war paint maybe?

Paulus
07-01-2007, 10:47
Very nice work. I think the change in base-edge colour was a good decision, it looks much better.

Good luck with the project, it's nice to see another Lizardmen army! :)

Thank you for the kind words, base edge colour does look much better the green just didn't look right.

Had a look at some of your stuff, good work, especially like the blue Slann it's base.

I think this all looks really good. Very classic out-of-the-book kinda paint job though. If you don't mind try to put your own spin on it, war paint maybe?

I will be putting my own spin on some unit's further down the line for the Saurus & Skinks (2 starting units) I'm sticking with the paint job from the book.

My Slann & Steggie that I have to paint after that are another story though :D

Paulus
08-01-2007, 21:18
The first of the Skinks is now complete, I've got that & the Saurus to varnish now & then the fun begins. :rolleyes:

23 Skinks & 15 Saurus to go, lol!

Edit: Posted pics the right way round now :)

Jonahmaul
09-01-2007, 09:45
I've got a very large Lizardman army myself. My Saurus got a tank brush with regal blue followed by a lighter tank brush of enchanted blue, scales were highlighted with a mix of enchanted & hawk turquoise & skin highlighted ice blue. I've painted 20 temple guard this way & am just finishing off the last 5 of my second unit of 20 saurus with hand weapons. Got a unit of 20 with spears to paint then (like having a variety of models to choose from even though I think spears are too expensive for saurus!).

My Kroxigor are painted a similar way as they are basically just big saurus. My skinks are yellow with red crests though as I wanted a bit of variety & also if you read all the stories in the lizardmen book the skinks mentioned are pretty much all yellow then in the painting section GW says that lizardmen are predominately blue!! Other lizards (cold ones, terradons, stegadon) are painted in red to give a bit more variety (don't like the green like in the book) which was really easy, just tank brush (again!) scab red followed by highlights of gore & blood with scales highlighted a mix of blood & fiery orange, finally a give the whole model a brown ink which tones down the red & also give a slimy look which i think looks good on these models.

My bases are pretty standard with sand black inked then drybrushed bestial followed by bone with patches of static grass on. I have painted the sides green as I like this look. On models which are aquatic i don't sand all the bases & paint the bits left out with a few coats of hawk turquoise & then gloss it to give a watery effect (not the most realistic water & i don't highlight it but it looks ok IMO & provides a bit of variety).

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I hope I've provided a few ideas.

Paulus
09-01-2007, 19:43
if you read all the stories in the lizardmen book the skinks mentioned are pretty much all yellow

Does it, which one? I'm not doubting you just I've read the book cover to cover & can't remember it.

No worries about the long post I appreciate the input.

Not decided what colours for Swarms, Cold Ones (although I like the green in the army book), Kroxigor's, Salamander's & Terradon's as not thought that far ahead yet.

I'm going to keep the blue on basic Saurus & Skink's but am thinking of doing Temple Guard a different shade when I get to them.

Still thinking about the Stegadon, nothing's really struck me yet.

Jonahmaul
09-01-2007, 21:24
Hmm, I've just had a quick flick through mine & can't find stories with yellow skinks either!! Maybe I read it in a White Dwarf , I've got a terrible memory so could well have been that!! Or possibly the old Lizardman book,though I don't think it was in that. The other option is that I made it up!!

I just did my swarms all different colours as it's the one place where you can go for lots of colours & it doesn't really look out of place in the army.

Paulus
09-01-2007, 21:31
The other option is that I made it up!!

I'm sure you didn't, there's been plenty of times that I remeber having read something & then when asked where I can't remember, lol!

I just did my swarms all different colours as it's the one place where you can go for lots of colours & it doesn't really look out of place in the army.

I was thinking of mixing the colours from all my other units.

Jonahmaul
10-01-2007, 12:57
That's pretty much what I did, so i got some blue, yellow, red, orange (my salamanders are orange) & then some random colour ones just to add a bit of variety & give me something a bit different to paint (I think I actually did one in graveyard earth which didn't look too bad!)

Paulus
18-01-2007, 20:16
Okay a VERY slight update, I'm still going but probably need to cut back on my Warseer time to actually get something done.

The weapons of the Saurus are now completed (bar the command group, they get a little more special treatment).

Now onto the basecoat for the skin.

75hastings69
18-01-2007, 20:46
This is some great stuff you have here Paulus, I can't wait to see more stuff soon...

Paulus
18-01-2007, 21:17
Thanks Hastings, hopefully I will have some more pics to post shortly!

But to give an idea how slow a painter I am, I've had the week off work & what you see in that pic is the results.

I go overboard way with my painting of basic rank & file but I know I wouldn't be happy if I didn't, they will be finished though I'm determined! :D

Once these & the Skink's are done I have the reward of the Slann & Stegadon to look forward to & that should be keep me going.

Paulus
20-01-2007, 23:39
Another slight update, seen as I've had the Saturday night in for the first time in months I got stuck in & got a bit done.

Completed the basecoat of Ice Blue for the skin, so plodding along nicely.

Basecoat of Regal Blue for the scales next me thinks. :)

Jonahmaul
21-01-2007, 11:36
Cool, been wanting to see an update. They look very good so far, is it just those 12 your are painting or are you painting more of the unit? Is this how you always paint? I tend to find that is too high a number & paint all my rank & file in 5 so i don't get too bored.

Reminds me that I need to get back to painting my Lizards, got 5 skinks that have been sitting on my painting desk half finished for about two weeks!

Paulus
21-01-2007, 12:17
Cool, been wanting to see an update. They look very good so far, is it just those 12 your are painting or are you painting more of the unit? Is this how you always paint? I tend to find that is too high a number & paint all my rank & file in 5 so i don't get too bored.

Reminds me that I need to get back to painting my Lizards, got 5 skinks that have been sitting on my painting desk half finished for about two weeks!

I'm painting these 12 at the moment, there is 1 finished & I'm going to do the command seperately as I like to show them a bit more love. :D

I try to paint the base colours on all the unit first & then concentrate on 1 at a time because as you say batch painting is boring as hell. I just find if I do it this way I get them done more quickly.

Rapido
21-01-2007, 12:22
nice paint job:)

Paulus
21-01-2007, 12:25
nice paint job:)

Thank you. :)

Jonahmaul
21-01-2007, 12:36
I'm painting these 12 at the moment, there is 1 finished & I'm going to do the command seperately as I like to show them a bit more love. :D

I try to paint the base colours on all the unit first & then concentrate on 1 at a time because as you say batch painting is boring as hell. I just find if I do it this way I get them done more quickly.

Each to their own as they say. I generally find more than 5 models & i get bored of the repitition (and Saurus are pretty repetitive). I also like to come up with simple but effective paint schemes so my Saurus are tank brushed regal blue then a lighter tank brush of enchanted blue before i highlight the skin with ice & do the scales. On the other hand your 'prototypes' are better painted than my models (although I am happy with my painting standard - maybe I should start a project log for finishing off my Lizardman army!)

The latest picture doesn't really do your painting justice as it looks quite blurry, as I said your prototypes are very nice & I very much look forward to seeing this unit completed.

Paulus
21-01-2007, 12:41
Each to their own as they say. I generally find more than 5 models & i get bored of the repitition (and Saurus are pretty repetitive). I also like to come up with simple but effective paint schemes so my Saurus are tank brushed regal blue then a lighter tank brush of enchanted blue before i highlight the skin with ice & do the scales. On the other hand your 'prototypes' are better painted than my models (although I am happy with my painting standard - maybe I should start a project log for finishing off my Lizardman army!)

The latest picture doesn't really do your painting justice as it looks quite blurry, as I said your prototypes are very nice & I very much look forward to seeing this unit completed.

Yeah, sadly my digi cam seem's to have died so pics are currently being done on a 2.3 mega pixel camera phone, lol!

Your method sounds far better than mine, my problem is that I'm a complete git with my painting & put the same effort into a rank & file troop as I would into my general (stupid I know, but I can't help it).

Please do post a log on yours, it's always good to see another fantasy log appearing on these pages (I'm not a fan of 40K).

Crazy Harborc
22-01-2007, 02:22
I came, I read, I posted and now I came back.

Today, while searching for my squighoppers (a different thread)...I found my Temple Guards...08 are done now. I like Testor's flats, sky blue/light blue. I am using gloss dark blue for scales.

Paulus
22-01-2007, 08:13
I'm using a base coat of regal blue for the gaps between the scales, then enchanted blue wiith the edges high lighted ice blue for the scales themselves.

Are your Temple Guard posted on here?

Jonahmaul
22-01-2007, 19:36
Yeah, sadly my digi cam seem's to have died so pics are currently being done on a 2.3 mega pixel camera phone, lol!

Your method sounds far better than mine, my problem is that I'm a complete git with my painting & put the same effort into a rank & file troop as I would into my general (stupid I know, but I can't help it).

Please do post a log on yours, it's always good to see another fantasy log appearing on these pages (I'm not a fan of 40K).

That sucks, also seems to be a theme on Warseer, not sure if I should take any pictures as my camera might stop working!

My method is quicker & easier but you'll have the nicer looking army! I just don't have to patience to spend that much time painting rank & file, especially as I've always got loads of things to paint and still always want to do another army!

Seems to be a lot of people who only play 40K or Fantasy. I'm a fan of both but I do prefer Fantasy by quite a large margin, although I only have one fantasy army after selling my elves & two 40K armies. I am planning to start another Fantasy army soon though to correct this heinous imbalance!

Paulus
22-01-2007, 19:48
That sucks, also seems to be a theme on Warseer, not sure if I should take any pictures as my camera might stop working!

Mine works, just needs some new batteries, I'll have to try get them at weekend when I'm off work.

I just don't have to patience to spend that much time painting rank & file

Problem is that neither have I in the past, that's why I've never finished painting an army. :( (I know shame on me!)

I am planning to start another Fantasy army soon though to correct this heinous imbalance!

Good, I should hope so too! ;)

rikard
22-01-2007, 20:01
Looking good, your working well with the colour scemes and the blending keep up the good work.

Paulus
22-01-2007, 20:07
Looking good, your working well with the colour scemes and the blending keep up the good work.

Thank you Rikard!

Your Kroxigor's are great too, was looking at them yesterday, I wish I could sculpt (not that I've ever tried).

Arhalien
22-01-2007, 20:34

It's worrying that you get better pic wuality on a camera phone than I managed with a digi camera when I tried :D
Looking good, keep it up.

Paulus
22-01-2007, 21:14
It's worrying that you get better pic wuality on a camera phone than I managed with a digi camera when I tried :D
Looking good, keep it up.

Cheers, Arhalien.

I've washed the Skin with hawk turquoise & put on the regal blue basecoat for the scales now.

It doesn't appear strikingly different from the last pic at the mo so don't think there will be a pic update now until I've done the first high lights on both the skin & scales.

Paulus
31-01-2007, 21:20
Since going back in work I'm struggling to find time to paint to the standard I'm happy with.

I don't want to stop with this army but I want to try paint it to a fairly high (for me!!) standard, BUT (there's always a but!!) I want to have an army ready for the summer campaign - I've only been collecting again since Oct last year.

I'm currently considering a few side projects:

1) Another army painted to a lower more table top standard so I can play in the summer campaign - against my mate who's a red shirt, lol!

2) Warhammer Quest - Odd's & ends that I can paint to break things up a bit, there's only so many times you can paint the same thing before boredom sets in. :(

Damn you for being right Jonahmaul!! ;)

Dragoonzero0
05-03-2007, 21:30
Good intention on this project. I am in the midst of my own similar project. All my models are painted after existing reptiles and amphibians. The models look like they are coming together.
Keep it up!

Jonahmaul
06-03-2007, 10:07
Lol, there's always a first time Paulus! Hope you find time to get this army done as it's looking very promising so far & it'd be a shame for it not to get finished. If you wanna get an army painted in time your probably best going for a high point army (maybe a Khorne army!).

I know what you mean about finding time to paint though, I painted quite a lot last summer when I was back home then I got ill & was in hospital & when i was recovering from my operation I got some done but as soon as I got back to uni in January I haven't touched a brush (I only have 6 hours of seminars/lectures a week as well so you'd think I'd have loads of time but somehow I never do!)

Paulus
06-03-2007, 17:59
I've decided not to give up on the army after a lengthy think about it, I WILL do it :D

Just taking a break for the moment painting up some the Skull Pass mini's, from there I will try concentrate on a few Saurus at a time.

This army IS still in my thoughts though.

Crazy Harborc
06-03-2007, 21:58
IMHO and experience......it's better/less boring to paint some of army A and then work on army B's minies for a few hours/days/weeks.

One painting problem I do have is trying to finish an army and or whatever unit, when I switch to a different army on the field. In other words...if I am playing Empire for a stretch of battles/weeks, I feel I "must" paint Empire:confused: Been like that for years.

Paulus
18-03-2007, 20:30
Time for a very very slight update!

I feel really motivated with my Lizardmen again now following a brief brake painting some of the Battle for Skull Pass minis.

I've got the base coat on the shields done, now my next step is to do the high lights on the shields.

Still a long long way to go, who oh why am I so slow.

EDIT: Any chance of the mod's shifting this to the fantasy project logs please?

Paulus
19-03-2007, 00:11
Ever so slight update part deux!

Shield high lights now done.

Tomorrow evening I intend to touch up any errors on the shields & paint the spikes on the shields.

Does anyone have advice on how to paint spikes in the same sort of blended manner that GW use on Stegadon horns, it's something I've not done before.

EDIT: Yikes! My camera phone makes the high lights look a lot more harsh than they appear in person!

When the unit is finished I will look into doing some proper pics with my digi cam.

dominic_carrillo
19-03-2007, 00:15
its kind of funny how your choice of colors matches nearly exactly the ones in the lizard army book.

Paulus
19-03-2007, 00:17
its kind of funny how your choice of colors matches nearly exactly the ones in the lizard army book.

Yep, I'm really original with my colour schemes! :D

I originally had intentions to do it slightly differently, but that's something I'm now saving for a later point once I've done the bulk of the army.

McMullet
19-03-2007, 12:40
Hey Paulus, good to see an update! :)

I like how your Saurus are shaping up here, the gold looks particularly good.

For the spikes, I find a way to get a good effect is to paint them black, then layer up from scorched brown to snakebite leather, then bleached bone and finally white. Leave a little of the scorched brown exposed at the root, and leave long stripes - see pics attached.

Hope that helps. :)

EDIT: Pics aree in the wrong order, oops.

Paulus
19-03-2007, 20:44
Hey Paulus, good to see an update! :)

I like how your Saurus are shaping up here, the gold looks particularly good.

For the spikes, I find a way to get a good effect is to paint them black, then layer up from scorched brown to snakebite leather, then bleached bone and finally white. Leave a little of the scorched brown exposed at the root, and leave long stripes - see pics attached.

Hope that helps. :)

EDIT: Pics aree in the wrong order, oops.

Hi McMullet,

Glad you like the gold hopefully when I actually use my digi cam I can show it off properley as the pics in the unit as a whole don't do it justice & it took me ages to do (5 shades in total including an ink wash).

Cheers for the guide on the horn/spikes that is exactly the thing that I wanted, I'll probably be on with them tomorrow as I have my beloved footie team to watch tonight.

I'm hoping to have an update Thursday latest & then I'm off work next week so should hopefully progress a bit.

Nekki
26-03-2007, 15:44
I've been thinking about my 2nd fantasy army for a bit now. Seeing this make's me wan't to start a lizardman army. Nice work

Paulus
20-05-2007, 21:19
Okay time to get some serious work done!

The Nemesis Crown campaign is getting nearer & I'm no closer to finishing my Lizzies (due to my laziness) :mad:

I'm now setting myself targets that will "hopefully" help me get there in time.

Target 1 is to have the scales completely finished in a week's time.

I know that sounds a soft target but I think it's realistic for me as I'm a slow painter & will be completely unable to paint 2 possibly 3 days this week.

I'm off to psych myself up now - COME ON! :D

Arhalien
20-05-2007, 21:47
Best of luck Paulus :D

Paulus
20-05-2007, 21:52
Cheers Arhalien, I'm going to need it, lol! :)

Arhalien
20-05-2007, 21:53
Cheers Arhalien, I'm going to need it, lol! :)

I'm just worried I may need luck this summer; repainting my entire Elf army during the campaign. Not sensible.

McMullet
21-05-2007, 11:26
Come on Paulus - for the glory of the Old Ones, you must make more progress!

spikedog
21-05-2007, 15:45
Yay for the Lizards, great stuff in here and I wish you the best of luck getting it finished!

Jonahmaul
21-05-2007, 20:43
About time you started these again Paulus! I might have to join you in finishing off Lizards once I finish the essay I'm writing & do my last exam next week!

Paulus
21-05-2007, 22:21
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone, it does help. :D

I'm not off to the best start though as I did a lovely 12 hour day in work 8.30 to 8.30 so I'm one day down already & I'm out tomorrow night. :cries:

Should be able to make a start before I go out tomorrow though, I will do this! :D

Jonahmaul
22-05-2007, 10:34
Yes, you will!

Firestorm Falcon
22-05-2007, 17:06
Go on, get those saurus done. The test models are too good for you to let this slip. The unit's looking great so far.

Paulus
24-05-2007, 16:23
Minor update 9 million ;)

I've painted all the scales enchanted blue, now onto high lighting them with ice blue, things are not looking as bleak as they did earlier in the week! :)

For anyone else who paints really slowly or struggles to finish anything I highly recommend setting up a painting log & giving yourself a realistic target & dead line, the encouragement from others really helps to spur you on!

P.S. The threads 4 pages long & I've not finished anything, that's just ridiculous, lol!

Paulus
28-05-2007, 21:14
I've failed miserably :(

Got the enchanted blue painted on all the scales & ice blue high lights done on 4 (not including the test model).

things went wrong due to a busy bank holiday weekend, so I shall crack on with a new target of having the scales finished by the end of the week. I know it's a big increase but it's the quickest I think that I can get the work done in.

Paulus
27-06-2007, 00:05
Triple post :(

But with piccies! :)

Little new :(

My digi cam works & I've finished the scales (had one left to do from my last post which I've only done today as I've not had time to paint for various reasons lately).

So here's a WIP shot of where I'm up to with the Saurus & better pics of the original test mini's.

Next onto the skin (I will not be daft enough to set a target this time!)

Harry
27-06-2007, 07:02
These look great. You should crack on and get these finished.
Do you have a futher 2000 points of these planned?
Have you seen the Tale of four painters thread?
You should join I and get these done.

McMullet
27-06-2007, 11:59
Paulus, thiose scales look excellent. The highlighting really makes them pop and the shading is just spot on to give some nice contrast between each one.

The skink looks very cool as well.

I think maybe the photos are a bit overexposed though, perhaps you could try toning down your lighting or using a shorter exposure time?

Looking forward to the next update. :)

Arhalien
27-06-2007, 12:13
Fantastic painting Paulus; the highlighting on those models is excellent :D

Paulus
27-06-2007, 19:43
These look great. You should crack on and get these finished.
Do you have a futher 2000 points of these planned?
Have you seen the Tale of four painters thread?
You should join I and get these done.

I do indeed have further points planned Harry (think I'm at 1000 at the moment - not painted unfortunately!)

I shall have a look at the thread but not promising anything though as I think I'll let everyone down seen as it'll take me forever to paint - lol :D

Paulus, thiose scales look excellent. The highlighting really makes them pop and the shading is just spot on to give some nice contrast between each one.

The skink looks very cool as well.

I think maybe the photos are a bit overexposed though, perhaps you could try toning down your lighting or using a shorter exposure time?

Looking forward to the next update. :)

Thanks McMullet, I think my digi cam has certainly shown the mini's in a better light than my phone did.

I'm extremely happy with how the scales turned out even though it took 1 hour per mini to do the ice blue high light on them alone.

I know what you mean with the pics, I'll have to check the camera next time as I'm not that well up on the settings.

Fantastic painting Paulus; the highlighting on those models is excellent :D

Thanking you good sir! :D

A13X
22-01-2008, 09:15
Wow very nice work on the Saurus!

The highlighting on the shields and scales looks very good, can't wait to see more.

Keep it up!

N810
22-01-2008, 23:47
Nice Paint jobs ... I just read (skimmed) your log and I can't wait
to see the coral snake saurus :D