PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Turn based warfare on the PC. You interested?

IcedCrow
19-12-2006, 13:26
I hope so. Because I'm working on bringing the website to my new project, Battle Master, online soon.

Screenshots will be in my new battle report coming out for the watchman in a few weeks.

Essentially the features are as follows:

Completely customizeable battlefields, campaign maps, campaigns, and armies (to include army rules and graphics).

The game engine itself will be very cheap. Roughly $10-$15 with a couple of army downloads. After that, ports for all of the warhammer, warmachine, D&D, you name it armies are created by the development team and community and downloaded for free.

The rules are not warhammer, rather a hybrid in-house version which will also ship with the game and you can use for your own tabletop battles. This allows a greater range of playtesting by the community at large. The system is percentile-based.

The graphics are not cutting edge 3d. In fact, they are sprites over backgrounds of battlefields. It is turn based, not RTS (just like warhammer is).

A game similar is DBA/X online (www.dbaonline.com) which utilizes the very popular historical ruleset DBA/X.

The game will also feature skirmish level battles (like warhammer) and batallion level battles (like warmaster).

And of course the goal is to have it all multiplayer over the net or LAN.

What type of interest is out there for this?

sephiroth87
19-12-2006, 13:31
Depends on if it's good. Will you be expanding the army list later on or will we be stuck with just a few armies to choose from?

As for turn-based, I still play alpha centauri and civilization II all the time. There's a market for it if the game is worth playing.

Mephistofeles
19-12-2006, 13:34
What is the setting of the game? Is it Fantasy, is it historical, or what is it?

Is it even warhammer fantasy?

IcedCrow
19-12-2006, 13:54
It's fantasy period.

It works like this, the software provides the engine, the community provides the armies.

I will port the warhammer army lists over as free downloads, but my graphical abilities are limited. You can plug in painted sets to an army list.

So say I create the army lists from Warhammer and make them available. I would provide two graphics sets for each army, one of differing colors to the other.

You however could make your own graphics for the army list. Your empire army could have 100 different graphics sets if you wanted.

The game itself is a generic engine. The players can edit any campaign they want. You could create a historical campaign. You could recreate the war of the ring. You could redo the storm of chaos. You can make your own up.

I will be shipping a campaign with the software out of the box that will take place in my little world that I have shaped for D&D for the past 20 years but the possibilities are only as limited as the community.

At release the software will come with two armies and I'm going to have the warhammer plug in (for free) available for download.

Armies can be created by players also. Meaning if you wanted to create a fishman army you can edit the rules and create graphic sets for them.

It's 100% customizeable. From the armies to the battlefields to the campaigns.

19-12-2006, 14:51
I think there should be a warhamer turnbased computer game just like the real rules so new players or people with no one to play can play and get a hold of the rules.

turn based games do have a following... IIve actually been playing jaged alliance 2 agai (yeah its old but fun)

TheWarSmith
19-12-2006, 14:55
You could try extracting graphics from Mark of Chaos for model sets if you're able to.

IcedCrow
19-12-2006, 15:10
You could. The game is not 3d, it's an overhead sprite-based game over a battlefield broken into tiles.

You can pull overheads from Mark of Chaos or Total War, I've done both. I've also taken pictures of my own models and put them in.

Creating a game using the warhammer rules is illegal and would be shut down in a quickness.

Griefbringer
19-12-2006, 16:03
Creating a game using the warhammer rules is illegal and would be shut down in a quickness.

Debatable - game mechanisms as such are not really protected by legislation (though any specific written form is protected by copyright, and the name of a game can be protected by trademark). Not that this would stop lawyers from sueing. Besides, the internal mechanisms of a computer game do not need to be too apparent to the player.

However, it would hopefully be heavily frowned upon as plagiatrism by the general audience. Also, I see little point in directly adapting a tabletop game to computer - with all the computing power available, the mechanisms can be made more complex without actually slowing a game down.

That said, don't we have a dedicated section around here for computer games?

IcedCrow
19-12-2006, 16:37
You may though this deals directly with a warhammer fantasy port over and could reside here as well.

Computer game forums on warseer/portent have little traffic and the target audience would be largely missed.

Gabacho Mk.II
19-12-2006, 23:23
IcedCrow,
I can think of many players in my group that would be interested in your pc suggestion.

I for one am thoroughly interested.

Tell us what becomes of this...

Tutore
20-12-2006, 06:08
I am interested, let´s see what it seems.

Chiron
20-12-2006, 06:36
Personally I'd be very interested in a decent play-by-email version of warhammer, it'd give me something to do at work ;)

Tutore
20-12-2006, 07:11
Personally I'd be very interested in a decent play-by-email version of warhammer, it'd give me something to do at work ;)

That would be also VERY interesting.

EvC
20-12-2006, 11:09
Depends on if it's good. Will you be expanding the army list later on or will we be stuck with just a few armies to choose from?

As for turn-based, I still play alpha centauri and civilization II all the time. There's a market for it if the game is worth playing.

You should have a look at the brilliant Warhammer mod for Civ 3...

IcedCrow
20-12-2006, 12:23
You can do play by email now. You get a gridded graphic, unit graphics, and utilize a dice roller online.

IcedCrow
20-12-2006, 17:25
Website with som eof the rules (this is a work in progress)

www.chrisnye.net/Battlemaster

Tutore
21-12-2006, 06:41
I see there are many contacts to warhammer. That´s good because it would be very difficult to me to learn another game completely...I would also have kept the d6 system, which is VERY unfair, you are right, but it is simpler, and if someone plays online, then he has few time to play warhammer at home (like me), and simplicity would do best.

Tutore
03-01-2007, 13:03
Hey IcedCrow, I managed to read your newest battle report! The new graphics are useful indeed! I agree with the conclusions.

malketh the witch king
03-01-2007, 18:54
wow this sounds very intersting, i'll be sure to try it out.

Tiluca
03-01-2007, 21:28
You sir are brilliant !