PDA

View Full Version : What to do about Kroot

Duhgame
19-12-2006, 19:15
Ok so here is my dilemma:

I have 40 Kroot from 2 different starter-kits for Tau and I don't like Kroot in terms of rules/models. Now aside from selling them (or just trying them out as they are supposed to be played), I had 2 ideas I wanted to get views on and possibly more suggestions.

1. Convert into IG mercenary squads by giving them lasguns, helmets, and green stuff armor on to give them a 5+ save. This should be enough to make them a "counts as" army, right?

2. Turn into Chaos cultists (see IG themed idea above for how this would work; above).

Any other ideas are welcome, please feel free to even mock the ones I posted and even (for those Kroot lovers out there) tell me why they are worth playing as they are supposed to be used and why they are worth it. (Just in case I made a mistake). Thanks!

cav da man
19-12-2006, 20:26
Kroot are great, stick them 7" in cover and blow everything away or just use them as a deterant or hold objectives ect. Although they have a limited and (most of the time non existant) save you can use them well to thin out numbers of weak troops (conscripts vs kroot anyone?) or add some to your own they are good as a support unit for fire warriors as they are more expendable and much better in combat(the extra attack also helps to mop up weaker units) and they have a better weapon than IG and their angry special effects. Kroot hounds are interesting aswell.....
On your ideas id have to say you could just about claim them to be mutant cultists if you green stuff them a bit, maybe take away the beaks slightly.

crashbang
19-12-2006, 20:32
put them just behind you firewarriors for counterattacking. 20 of them will pump out more effective firepower then a full squad of marines for 10pts less. and then in combat they woud dish out 60 s4 attacks...that is quite nasti by mst standards even with no save (when did 6+ save mean anything) dont get shapers or krootox- more efficient with their numbers. not to mention their fleet of foot. deny slow combat units the charge if u want to.

and you say you have two of these squads? im jealous, and i have nids

Lostanddamned
19-12-2006, 20:37
Start a Kroot Merc Army and watch your Tau get abandoned...

I did.

Khaine's Messenger
19-12-2006, 20:44
1. Convert into IG mercenary squads by giving them lasguns, helmets, and green stuff armor on to give them a 5+ save. This should be enough to make them a "counts as" army, right?

Or you could use them with the Light Infantry doctrine, which iirc lowers a guardsman's base save to effectively Kroot levels. Slap Hardened Fighters (iirc?) on top of that if you can, and you'll probably get a Krootish guard force. Although I suppose the goal here was to make them more Guard-like than Kroot-like.

2. Turn into Chaos cultists

Or Mutants in a LatD army. They'd make good Tzeentchen (or other) muties, as the WHFB Tzeentchen Kroot army that made the rounds a while back shows. Don't remember rightly if it was a hordes or beasts army, though.

tell me why they are worth playing as they are supposed to be used and why they are worth it. (Just in case I made a mistake). Thanks!

Oh, Kroot are useful and competative. When used correctly (as others have pointed out, especially on how). I'm not much a fan of them myself since a lot of the terrain my buddies and I use is more hilly and crumbly buildings than foresty (and their biggest bonuses come specifically from forest terrain), but I throw a few units around every now and then.

Slaaneshi Slave
19-12-2006, 20:47
What exactly is in a Kroot army, besides Kroot? Where can I see the Codex? (I have a box of Kroot, and I've considered making a small Kroot merc force because of them)

cav da man
19-12-2006, 21:26
What exactly is in a Kroot army, besides Kroot? Where can I see the Codex? (I have a box of Kroot, and I've considered making a small Kroot merc force because of them)

kroot dont have to be an army on their own, add on to many armies and a useful part to the tau codex.

Khaine's Messenger
19-12-2006, 21:29
They've got an armylist...you can find it in the Kroot/Tau section of the GWUK website. You can field some of the units in other armies. It was published a while back in WD. Of course, there are a couple fan ones floating around, too....

crashbang
19-12-2006, 21:29

games workshop site, somewhere in the tau section avaidible for download.

charisteristics: seriously fast. most can infiltrate, including flyers (i think) and their cavalry, so you can expect the entire army to get into combat second turn. either that or dish out merry kroot rifle hell with the 100+ guys u can get in 1500pts. oh yeh, and u kno all that stuff about them being fast. nothing compared to what the master shaper can do. expect him in combat 1st turn hehehe. with an exiscerator or power weapon. ouchi

weaknesses: toughness 3. next to no armour save to speak of. taking them to toughness 4 reduces the amounts they can field, and thats a stupid idea. they can also ahve trouble taking out tanks, namely skimmers, unless u give some shapers a combi-melta or sumthing.

oh yeah, they are a kool army. uve just inspired me to maybe get an army...hehehehehe:chrome: :chrome: :chrome:

Bregalad
19-12-2006, 22:09
1.) Kroot are a fine addition to a Tau army. Last Sunday on a small tournament, a Kroot squad wiped out a SM terminator squad, they are quite underrated. Just try them.
2.) There is a very nice background for them, featured a.o. in Xenology, then the "Index Kroot" (an old OOP WD article) and some novels like "For the Emperor".
3.) They have a short official 3rd edition mercenary list ( http://uk.games-workshop.com/download/download.htm?/tau/kroot-list/assets/kroot-merc-list.pdf ), that was unofficially enlarged to the "Kodex Kroot" (added vehicle, rocket launchers, more beasts etc). These are a bit difficult to play (esp. against tanks), but will be unique and surprising in most environments.
4.) They are a secret love for modellers (see pics below) and Forge World (Knarlocs!). So even if you don't play them, convert and paint them!

If you are interested in Index Kroot or Kodex Kroot, PM me, as they are difficult to obtain otherwise.

Slaaneshi Slave
19-12-2006, 23:16
Thanks for the answers guys! Looks like I wont be doing any Kroot allies though, they can't go with my Sisters of Battle.

@Bregalad:

Why do I always think Belgaraid when I see your name? :p I love that picture of the Kroot eating the Ultramarine! :) Are those yours, or did you find them on the net?

Sarge
19-12-2006, 23:49
For the love of the GOD-EMPEROR! Don't forget those Kroot Hounds (the upgraded Tau Empire version, not the old Kroot Merc version)

Valens
20-12-2006, 00:31
That is a GENIUS idea by using Centigor and kroot models to make Knarloc riders! Been tryin to think of a way convert some (FW is a bit to much :( ) and thats a great idea. Think I might steal it. (also helps that I have a BoC army too... :D )

Bregalad
20-12-2006, 01:16
I love that picture of the Kroot eating the Ultramarine! :) Are those yours, or did you find them on the net?

No, these are not mine, just found on the web. First one is Golden Demon winner Germany 2005. Second and forth one are sold once in a while on ebay (check Kroot regularly), third one from www.coolminiornot.com, fifth one from "kompletely Kroot" website.

Here some more pics for inspiration (the railgun Knarloc "count as" Broadside is from the website http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/kroot_renegades.php ).

BTW Bregalad is Tolkien Elvish and means Quicktree, an Ent name refering to my first Wood Elf army.

Son of Makuta
20-12-2006, 09:39
Wow, those Kroot conversions are amazing! I love the Knarloc Broadsides...

Carlos
20-12-2006, 11:06
And dont forget about Ankghor Prok, if you can hunt down his rules/model. Hes actually quite useful and can save a fire warrior squad from an untimely demise. Its a pity he wasnt in the Tau empire book.

cav da man
20-12-2006, 11:22
And dont forget about Ankghor Prok, if you can hunt down his rules/model. Hes actually quite useful and can save a fire warrior squad from an untimely demise. Its a pity he wasnt in the Tau empire book.

Theres a PDF devoted to him on the GW website in the tau empire section with his rules, the model is harder to find and he has problems because of his krooty save and toughness. He's got some cool rules though

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
20-12-2006, 11:27
I love kroot, I wish they'd get upgraded to a full army with codex.

Bregalad
20-12-2006, 15:25

This is Mr Prok (see pic 1 + 2 below):
Rules: http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/anghkor-prok/assets/anghkor-prok.pdf

Some other conversions attached.