PDA

View Full Version : Battle for Maccrage

Lancaster
19-12-2006, 23:32
I have a question on the rulebook it contains, what is it missing? Does it contain every rule the main one contains, or is is just for beginners, and eventually you have to purchase the big book?

Basically, I want to know what the difference is between the two books

DragonPup
19-12-2006, 23:50
Rules wise, the small book does not contain rules for Kill Team or Combat Patrol, and some of the special scenario rules(ie, preliminary bombardment). It has all the rules you will need for a normal 40k game. It's also much easier to carry around with you! :D

It also leaves out a large majority of the background material, and the hobby and modeling sections.

Lancaster
20-12-2006, 00:52
without breaching IP what are kill team and combat patrol?

and are the rules for preliminary bombardment the same as 3rd edition?

Lord Malek The Red Knight
20-12-2006, 01:09
without breaching IP what are kill team and combat patrol?
Kill Team is a small-scale skirmish version of 40K (one squad taking on a bigger enemy force, like a "special ops" sort of thing). its got quite lot of rules (and extra rules have been printed in WD). i havent tried it yet, but it seems to be geared more towards experienced players who want to try something new and special.

Combat Patrol is the current version of "40K in 40mins" - its basically normal 40K but with 400pts and a limited selection of models (you cant take tanks with a high total armour, or models with lots of wounds, for example).
you can download the last version from the GW site for free (here (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/combat%2Dpatrol/1/)), but there are a few changes in the Rulebook's version.
the rules and scenario only fill 2 pages of the rulebook, and once you have read it, and built your list, you dont really need it again (so you could download the free version and borrow the book to note the differences). i would recommend this to new learners. :)

and are the rules for preliminary bombardment the same as 3rd edition?
you can download them (free, and legal from GW) here:
Preliminary Bombardment and Sustained Attack rules (http://ca.games-workshop.com/Community/Hall_of_Heroes/images/HOHdownload/40kHOHspecialrules.pdf)

if you just want to play normal games of 40K, the smaller rulebook has everything you need (well, you might need to also use that link^) - even the page numbers are the same (with just 1 exception: p87 is on p264 of the hardback). its what i use, when i play and take part in rules discussions here.

the hardback book is nice to have if you want modelling/painting/collecting tips, or if you want to read the fluff/look at the art work. its also good if you want to try out different ways to play 40K. but it is absolutely not required to just get on and join in normal games.

hope that helps

~ Tim
p.s. i would recommend the BFM box (with crashed ship etc) - i bought that even though i already had the hardback book, and never regretted it.

Bregalad
20-12-2006, 01:26
The small rulebook contains all rules for the standard 40k game, they are the same pages just size reduced. It does not contain scenarios (important for tournaments), variants like kill team rules, no modelling part and no short summary of all races in the 40k universe. Some people have both books, big one for reference and big tournaments, small ones for normal games (not that heavy and bulky).

Lancaster
20-12-2006, 02:02
thank you very much for all your help!

Also, I am not new or anything, in fact just the opposite, I have been putting off and putting off getting the new rulebook for so long now...

I recently got two friends to split the cost of BfM 3 ways, one gets all Tyranid, one gets all SM, and I get the remainder

I'm definatly going for it

Lord Malek The Red Knight
20-12-2006, 11:34
The small rulebook... does not contain scenarios (important for tournaments),
its worth pointing out, though, that the basic 5 "Standard" missions are included in the small book.

thank you very much for all your help!
no probs. :)

I recently got two friends to split the cost of BfM 3 ways, one gets all Tyranid, one gets all SM, and I get the remainder

I'm definatly going for it
sounds like a good idea to me! :D

~ Tim