PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pact?

FearFrost
20-12-2006, 04:58
Hey guys. Quick question, also looking for an opinion.

I am considering doing a rebel guard army as my next...and considering Blood Pact.

Im not really up to date on their rules...I know there was a WD article about them and they MIGHT have other rules in IA, maybe?

So here is the deal.

Should I use IG rules w/doctrines, LotD (are these rules even legal anymore?) or some other rules set for them?

Any ideas? Maybe a rough description of the WD article?

Thanks,

Frost

Fal
20-12-2006, 05:53
The bulk of the Blood Pact is best represented using the Lost and the Damned army list found in Codex: Eye of Terror. Traitors can be used to represent the line troopers of the Blood Pact, and Defilers can represent Stalk-tanks. Beyond this, you should try to avoid using Chaos Space Marine allies, Daemons, Mutants etc.

Barbarossa
20-12-2006, 05:56
If you want to go blood pact, then you should use the LatD rules. I don't know about their tournament legality, but I don't think people wouldn't let you use these rules in friendly games.
The WD article shows a little bit of background for the blood pact (really not that much) and an army list entry for the Death Brigades. These are more or less like IG stormtroopers (just a bit more expensive) but with the option of taking veteran skills and with some other nice options that stormtroopers don't have.

nazdreg5
20-12-2006, 06:58
is there an online copy of that any where?

Khaine's Messenger
20-12-2006, 07:08
I'd suggest doctrined Imperial Guard. As seen here (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/imperialguard/gaming/doctrines/unorthodox.htm), it's really not all that difficult to represent the Pact with the Guard...after all, the Pact went out of its way to mimic a lot of the Imperial Guard's martial qualities, and it was that aspect to them that made them fearsome opponents and the dominant military force of the Chaos forces in the Sabbat Worlds theater of war. Things like stalk-tanks are, naturally, going to be hard to represent (assuming that a defiler is otherwise the most high-fidelity rendition), but not impossible.

The LatD rules and their Blood Pact addendum seem to be more a passing phase. If you can find the rules, more power to you, but frankly I think it'd be easier to fall back on the Guard.

rrchristensen
20-12-2006, 07:16
the LATD rules have been made available as a PDF download on GW's website, as has the Space Wolves 13th Company rules. Both are from the Eye of Terror campaign book. Root around the website, they are definitely there.

philbrad2
20-12-2006, 08:23
Personally I see LaTD and Traitor Guard as two very different armies. My own Chaos Guard force will be using the Imperial Guard codex as its basis with corrupted Commissars/Overseers, Cultists(Conscripts) and Demagogues(Priests) in amongst the force. If your looking for a 'proper' Chaos Guard army then the IG list can be easily changed to incorporate such a force with some subtle tweaks. I really hope GW give players a Guard based list for Chaos when the codicies are revised. To my mind using the guard codex as a base makes for a force portrayed more in such things as the Gaunt novels. Rather than a shambling horde of mutants the army is an organized and professional body. I've never really liked the LaTD army list as it too much orientated towards mutants, combining both lists as separate detachments you could quite easily field a good Chaos based infantry army.

The LaTD armylist was available via GW Online to download fairly recently but seems to have been removed. I have the LATD armylist as a PDF file. PM me if you want a copy.

PhilB
:chrome:

Bun Bun
20-12-2006, 08:27
I personally would use the Imperial Guard list as the Blood Pact model themselves on the Imperial Guard in terms of their organisation. Not only that but you can use ogryns to represent the wrought ones mentioned in "His Last Command."

philbrad2
20-12-2006, 08:41
My WIP chaos guard are a mix of FW Chaos Militia, Steel legion, Cadian plastics and I'm using Viridian Colonial Marines (http://www.urbanmammoth.co.uk/acatalog/Viridian_Blister_Packs.html)as my heavy infantry (Stormtroopers) quite fancy adding a unit of modified FW DKoK Grenadiers also.

PhilB
:chrome:

forthegloryofkazadekrund
20-12-2006, 08:42
hey
i have a blood pact army myself - they are so cool, i destroyed a good crimson fist army on monday i a 2000pt game - and i use the latd rules with the death brigades from the wd, no body seems to mind and it makes a good change from them fighting marine armys all the time :(

Jan Polder
20-12-2006, 09:45
What do you guys use as miniatures? I like the ones on the GW site but what did they use for the heads?

Cheers

Max

swordwind
20-12-2006, 11:24
Chaos Raptor heads

ss_cherubael
20-12-2006, 12:28
Use the guard list. Apart from it being a complete list where the Latd list isnt, the Blood Pact were created to mimic the Imperial Guard in nearly all ways. The biggest difference between the Blood Pact and other traitor armies is the command structure and organisation of the Pact. To represent this you would use the guard list and the doctrines to represent the Blood Pacts loyalty to Guar and their increased combat skills and such. If you feel the need to use the Death Squads that are outlined in the WD article go ahead and put them in instead of storm troopers, but i still think that storm troopers make a better choice and fit alot better.
BTW stalk tanks are more on par with a sentinel that has a multi-laser and a HK missile than a defiler. Also dont take demons and mutants as the only other thing in the army might be Loxatl mercs. but the best way to do them is find the rules that were published for them a while back for a campaign and go from there. What ever you do we want to see pics of them!

forthegloryofkazadekrund
21-12-2006, 08:16
use the chaos raptor heads and convert them, on a lot ive filed down the horns on some, clipped of the ear thins on othere added new proper horns, i personally think the latd rules are more fun, i dont use mutands or any thing like that, just regular misunderstood humans with 3 fallen dark angels leading them (they are there to destroy the blood pact, sometimes they do it and sometimes they dont, but hey)

Forbiddenknowledge
21-12-2006, 10:41
I love your army dave, makes such a change to marines ;)

@OP: Go for it! The blood pact are a great army, the sabbat crusade is one thing GW has done right

fracas
22-12-2006, 02:04
also consider the alpha legion list without SMs

fattdex
22-12-2006, 02:46
White dwarf 293 has the blood pact death brigade rules, which as mentiuoned above you use in conjunction with traitors and stalk tanks from LATD. You know, those death korp grenadiers would look nice for death brigadiers...

FearFrost
22-12-2006, 04:34
I ended up changing my mind to doing a ww2 german-type army using steel legion troopers and heavily converted vehicles using tamiya ww2 kits bashed with GW kits.

But the pact will get done, one day. Maybe :)

Thanks for all the info, gents.

Frost

Morathi's Darkest Sin
22-12-2006, 08:45
Stalk tanks is something I'd love to see from FW.

I'm sorta working on one of these myself, but at a very slow pace, I'm green stuffing every figure, (mainly to practice) and using parts from all over the chaos range to modify mainly Cadian figs.

Rules wise I'll probably be using Codex Imperial Guard, but as its for home play only my wife is already allowing me to incorporate anything from Codex Chaos Marines to make the force seem more accurate.

I'd tell you how it plays, but I'm probably looking at Mid-late March before I get to 500pts.

WW2 is something I've always pondered as well .. I might get there as well myself one day... Good luck on your army.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
22-12-2006, 11:19
i use cadian and catachan hybrids, thay look very good + add some of the necromunda weapons like the heavy stubbers and the auto guns