PDA

View Full Version : Where do SM Plasma Guns come from?

warprat
11-07-2005, 07:24
Well, for my first SM army I bought 2 Battle Forces, adding to my 2 Tactical squads obtained in 2 Dark Eldar/Space Marine starter boxes. I also bought 2 squads of Blood Claws.

This gives me:

4 Tactical squads
2 Command/Elite/Assault (without jet packs) HtH squads
1 Assualt Squad
6 Bikes
2 Rhinos
2 Basic Land Speeders

I count the following special items:

6 Missle Launchers
6 Flamers
2 Melta guns
2 Power Fists
2 Power Swords
2 Power Axes
30 Plasma Pistols

No Plasma Guns... What is the cheapest way to buy Plasma Guns?

Also, I found a small sprue in the Battle Force box with three each of:

shoulder pads
knive
back pack
bolter with stock

I assume these are for the bikes. Am I right? Why are the bolters different?

Thank you,

Warprat ;)

Serpent
11-07-2005, 07:29
The reason the Bike stuff is different is because it's from 2nd edition. Back then, everything looked like that. :eyebrows: It's quite simple to replace the Biker torsos with normal Space Marine torsos (a little filling with Green Stuff could be needed, though).

Plasma Guns come either on the Chaos command sprue or the regular Command Squad sprue for the Marines. Apart from that, there are metal Plasma Guns from Mail Order, too...

Serpent :)

Karhedron
11-07-2005, 07:36
If you just want plasma guns and no other bits then the metal ones are probably the easiest to go for. They are 1 each.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010117704&orignav=9

However if you think that you can use the other parts then probably the best thing to do is get a couple of Command Sprues. These include plasma guns and a whole load of other useful bits and pieces.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99380101017&orignav=10

LoerdofallJoy
11-07-2005, 08:06
I tend to cut the end off of bolt-guns and glue on the end of plasma pistols.

They look very similar to 'real' plasma guns and cost considerably less.

LoaJ

Sojourner
11-07-2005, 08:08
There's a plasma gun on the chaos marine sprue, it looks reasonably convincing.

Shas'o'Fior
11-07-2005, 09:02
I thought theres 1 plasma gun in each tactical box?

Dante
11-07-2005, 09:40
I thought theres 1 plasma gun in each tactical box?

Yes it is, in the new varianst. Along with a melta gun, flamer and missile launcher.

Samoth
11-07-2005, 09:41
He must be talking about the old boxes - he is talking about the old stater boxed sets anyway, the ones with rules, dark eldar, marines, and a few gaming bits and bobs.

Vberg
11-07-2005, 10:32
Well when a mummy plasma cannon and a daddy plasma cannon love each other very very much, they will make a baby plasma cannon, known as a plasma pistol, then it will grow into a plasma gun and then a plasma cannon. ;).

Sorry couldn't resist

BloodiedSword
11-07-2005, 11:22
30 plasma pistols???

Well, then you can certainly afford to butcher some up into plasma guns.. I'd suggest the following:

- Cut the muzzle off the plasma pistol (i.e. just the half centimetre or so at the end, where the line is).

- Cut out the grip section of a bolter. Just the grip section.

- Glue this to the main body of the plasma pistol, and the plasma pistol muzzle on the end of that.

Basically just a longer plasma pistol with a grip, and you get to keep the cool bits on the plasma pistol such as the clip and the cooling thing on the top.

Nazguire
11-07-2005, 11:33
Plasma Guns come back from a mummy plasma gun. When the mummy plasma gun and the daddy plasma gun love each other really much, the daddy plasma overcharges and releases excess plasma. The mummy plasma gun then ejects a spare energy cell. This will eventually form a new plasma gun.

Or they come from the GW site. Bitz order or buy a couple of blisters of specil weaponry Marines. The Chaos sprue has a plasma gun and heavy bolter if you want to buy that specific sprue.

Seidr
11-07-2005, 14:31
If you're feeling adventurous it isn't too hard to cut the hand end off one plasma pistol and the tip off another and glue the two together (a little green stuff makes this neater) to get something like the old guard plasma guns. It certainly makes your army a little different.

warlordgrubnatz
11-07-2005, 14:55
the new tac squads have
meltagun
plasma gun
2 plasma pistols
flamer
this is the easiest way.

warprat
12-07-2005, 01:50
Thanks to those who replied,

After much thought, I think I will buy a Devestator squad which contains much needed heavy weapons (other than ML's), AND a plasma gun, melta gun, and flamer.

And a Command squad which contains some leader types AND a plasma gun, melta gun, flamer, power fist, and power sword.

After that, I may try my hand at making some home made stuff...

Warprat ;)

Ragnor2004
12-07-2005, 03:08
I think that the chaos idea is good but could someone post their pics of the bolter-plasma pistol convertions

Hortwerth
12-07-2005, 07:05
After much thought, I think I will buy a Devestator squad which contains much needed heavy weapons (other than ML's), AND a plasma gun, melta gun, and flamer.

Are you totally sure? Because it seems to me Devastator box contains only 3 metal heavy weapons and a plastic Missile Launcher... hmm...
Maybe that's the key to this - new Space Marine Tactical Sprue included?

warprat
12-07-2005, 08:29
Are you totally sure? Because it seems to me Devastator box contains only 3 metal heavy weapons and a plastic Missile Launcher... hmm...
Maybe that's the key to this - new Space Marine Tactical Sprue included?

I hope so...! Has anyone bought a box recently?

Here is the GW Devestator Squad link:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110101110&orignav=10

Warprat ;)

Karhedron
12-07-2005, 09:06
Hmm, it would indeed appear that you get a lot of spare gubbins in with the Devastators these days. Just one thing to be aware of. GW is apparently selling of their old stock (without the new sprues) before they put the enw ones on the shelves. It might be worth checking before you buy that you are getting the new box and not one of the old 3rd edition boxes with fewer parts.