PDA

View Full Version : warmaster house rules

jp22102000
21-12-2006, 05:26
i was working on a game based on warmaster and came up with some house rules to fix areas in the warmaster rules that i didn't like or thought were odd and was wondering if there are any you people use or other popular house rules. here are mine...
Characters
Wizard lords roll 2 dice for casting spells and choose one.

Orders
Each unit may only be given orders once.

Movement
Units moving by initiative are moved first, followed by units receiving orders, and then characters may move.

Combat
Units hit on a 4+ base attack.
Units that are charging enemy units in the open are resolved first.
Chariots charging enemy units in the open get +1 to hit.

Combat resolution
Units get +1 for each supporting stand
+1 for attacking an enemy flank
+2 for attacking an enemy rear

Winner gets to decide to consolidate or pursue. Units that pursue fight in the next players turn.

Unit specifications

Crazed- unit must always charge using initiative, are never pushed or driven back, and must always pursue. (Witch elves, knights errant)

Cause fear- enemy units suffer -1 to hit in close combat. (Skeletons, zombies)

Skirmishers- do get bonuses for supporting stands and may see/move 360 degrees. (Skinks, gutter runners)

Stubborn- are not pushed back in close combat. (black guard, iron breakers)

Ward Save- unit gets a 6+ save that is never modified if it fails its armor save. (bretonnian knights)

using these for normal warmaster could be ok without too much problems but i was reworking the army list for all armies as i just don't like the current ones and i don't know how they came up with some of the unit values

Gabacho Mk.II
23-01-2007, 01:14
What sort of house rules are we talking about jp?

I am a game rules nut, and I would love to read what you have, regardless of which format and base size you are wishing to game with.

Thanks.:cool:

Woudschim
05-02-2007, 16:34
The combat resolution will make battles unbalanced. Combat resolution is already featured in the shape of supporting stands, and the reduced unit efficiency when fighting to the side or rear.

"Units that are charging enemy units in the open are resolved first."
What is the point as both units have a chance to fight anyway?
Have you read the rules and played more than a few games?

Warmaster is a great game as it is, and in my opinion there is no need to alter anything.

jp22102000
14-02-2007, 03:41
i pretty much scraped all the rules changes after thinking about them, but i did make some armies using a points calculator for the armies that came out after warmaster did to try to make them more like the army book from fantasy and gave each new army a choice of a general

Woudschim
16-02-2007, 11:16
just remember that points are calculating over the whole army composition. Some units can be more effective in conjunction with certain units.