PDA

View Full Version : annoying unit.

sagittar slaith
21-12-2006, 08:14
in a lot oy your games, do you find that there is that one enemy squad that seems to all but indestructible. i myself have found that my rothers master of sanctity in terminator armour with five assault terminators a bit of a pain in the ****. please post any partcularly irritating moments here so that every one else can know that the dice gods dont hate just them.

Goq Gar
21-12-2006, 09:06
Hmmm, theres times when I wish I could just kill off that ONE squad of Marines that seems impervious to bullets. Every game I play theres always one squad left and it dooms me.

Griffin
21-12-2006, 09:11
My buddies damn warboss on a bike - it will quite happily drive through a **** storm of Shurican fire and come out undamaged.

Goq Gar
21-12-2006, 09:17
Indeed, is the warboss per chance defended by a 3+ save and has a massive axe he wields in combat and kills things like its the only way to breathe?

krashovrload
21-12-2006, 09:38
++

In one of my most recent battles I had a unit of Death Guard marines (complete with Nurgle's Rot) that got bogged down and nearly slaughtered by a unit of Kroot - the Shaper just wouldn't die!! I was on a rolling 1's er - roll...

On the other hand - my unit of 7 Death Guard Terminators survived a full round of enemy fire without losing a man and then proceeded to make a very big hole in the centre of his army...

So swings and roundabouts I guess..??

++

Griffin
21-12-2006, 09:42
Funny enough now that you mention it.... Actually I don't mind the warboss it's just that if you shoot him then you fail to wound no matter how much of whatever weapon S you use.

Rlyehable
21-12-2006, 09:49
Under 3rd edition Tyranid, I fielded a Seeding Swarm with 2 units of "Without Number" spinegaunts just to be annoying.
They would speed across the board and fire thier S:3 12" guns. Get blown to pieces and then deep strike back in on the next turn.
Yes, I was spoon-feeding the opponent 80-160 points each turn. They were not very effective. But, it was great fun to see the opponent's face when they kept coming back each turn.

My bane, when I play Tau, are dreadnoughts. Somehow they always manage to make it into close combat with a unit. None of my units can hurt it in close combat, so it proceeds to take down one unit after another. I just can't seem to pop it before it reaches me (Hammerhead invariably rolls a "1" to hit or wound).

UltimateNagash
21-12-2006, 09:55
My friends SIX Dreadnoughts. Or his stupidly expensive Command Squad. He plays Blood Angels, so guess what else he has - actually, Death Company are easy. My Genestealers charge in, Broodlord kills the Chaplain, the Genestealers overkill the rest by about 15 wounds! I killed everyone off by Rending alone!
But I hate Dreadnoughts.

D.soul
21-12-2006, 10:07
I just hate monolith... it just don´t want do die

Rlyehable
21-12-2006, 10:12
I just hate monolith... it just don´t want do die

Now that I have started Eldar, I am going to have to be careful with the number of Falcons. Skimmer+holofiled+spirit stone+vectored engines make then almost monolith-hard to kill (but is near-monolith price). And they are much faster/maneuverable.

When I started Eldar, I had planned to have 2 falcons and 2 wave serpents. But after seeing how annoying the falcon can be, I will probably only field one of them. One annoying unit in an army is enough, IMO.

D.soul
21-12-2006, 13:57
Now that I have started Eldar, I am going to have to be careful with the number of Falcons. Skimmer+holofiled+spirit stone+vectored engines make then almost monolith-hard to kill (but is near-monolith price). And they are much faster/maneuverable.

When I started Eldar, I had planned to have 2 falcons and 2 wave serpents. But after seeing how annoying the falcon can be, I will probably only field one of them. One annoying unit in an army is enough, IMO.

I was just talk about in thing(unit/tank), but one race I just hate so much is Eldar. I have win them 2 times but lost around 21 times...:mad: but the victory will by mine:evilgrin:

firestorm40k
21-12-2006, 13:59
I used to play regularly against a mate with a Dark Eldar army. If I avoided his Archon with Shadowfield (the most beardy piece of Wargear EVER) and her retinue of Incubii - not to mention his Talos - then my Marines would usually wipe the floor with his army...

bob syko
21-12-2006, 14:18
God damn crisis battle *******' suites. Jump out, bang bang ******* bang, jump back. It makes me rage inside.

Jimbobjeff
21-12-2006, 15:01
God damn crisis battle *******' suites. Jump out, bang bang ******* bang, jump back. It makes me rage inside.

yea but there is nothing as funny as watching them do that then fail a dangerous terrain roll, crash and burn...

back on topic: a unit of 4 destroyers a guy round here takes in combat patrol...I play eldar...

Grimtoast
21-12-2006, 15:44
Necrons. Any of them that get a WBB roll.

For some reason, Necron players playing against me tend to make probably 75% of those rolls. =/

Slaaneshi Slave
21-12-2006, 15:48
I used to play regularly against a mate with a Dark Eldar army. If I avoided his Archon with Shadowfield (the most beardy piece of Wargear EVER) and her retinue of Incubii - not to mention his Talos - then my Marines would usually wipe the floor with his army...

I used to play somebody who would take a shadow fielded lord. Well, he did, until he realised every game it was getting eaten by a Callidus assassin. :p

theplourde
21-12-2006, 17:05
I find it annoying that I have yet to find a good use for Tomb Spyders, also I find that I cannot justify the use of Heavy Destroyers in most games *sigh* They just don't work in the necron army IMO

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
21-12-2006, 17:14
im a big fan of the six wraiths that go around with my destroyer lord with a res orb.
in a game against deathwing i had the wraiths wip out 4 squads of termis (they died like 3 times each) and the lord killed 2 squads worth by himself( but he sould with that warscythe) he died 5 times each time standing back up with full wounds :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

SwordsofChaos
21-12-2006, 17:34
I just hate monolith... it just donīt want do die

Heh, thats funny, I never had any problems at all blowing it apart... Must be the S10 of Warp blast that does it...;)

But I can never seem to effectively kill my friends Destroyers, yep, 3 normal destroyers and no res orb around. They just wonīt die. Once had 24(!) Hormagaunts charge into em. Thats 72 attacks. 1 died. 1! Then the bloody things survive in combat for three rounds with 24 hormagaunts. I wonīt even try to figure out how many attacks that is...

pwrgmrguard
22-12-2006, 01:15
Umm my friend gave his standard dread three turns in close combat with it and it died. I personally hate anything with a ELdar forcefield. THe idiots i play never use them, so my tanks work against the falcons and whatnot, but at the next higher level i cannot kill a single falcon or fireprism. It's my opponent's fault i am inexperienced with Eldar:p . By my friends all hate moriar more than anything. Furioso dread with death company rules and ignores stunned and shaken, plus up to ten attacks on the charge. Bloody Beast!

Misanthrope
22-12-2006, 03:09
One of the most annoying experiences I've ever had was running two Berzerker squads into an Avatar. God damn those things are hard to hit...

Another instance was when a Scarab swarm obliterated my Biker squad. I was like "wtf!"

Hrogoff the Destructor
22-12-2006, 03:35
Can't stand speeders. Especially the ones with heavy bolters and assault cannons. They sit there nuking my squads, and no matter how much shooting I throw at them, I can never role better than a 1 or a 2 on the glancing table (as he always moves them 6-12 inches).

It amazes me how bad I am at the penetration table.

Pavulon
22-12-2006, 03:58
I just finished a game vs the new eldar with my 2nd army (Tau). I shot rail shot, ion cannons, missile pods, plasma, everything but the kitchen sink at my opponents 2 falcons. At the end of the game, 1 of them had lost its pulse laser. The other was still going strong.

TheSanityAssassin
22-12-2006, 04:33
The thing with archons and shadowfields, is that they're only T3 and have no armour other....I've seen my buddy roll a 1 on 1 wound dealt from like a scatter laser or something, and he's insta-killed.

The worst for me was one of those "Heroes of the Imperium" Marine Command Squads, that had a Libbie, Chappie, and a Master, as well as company champion, vet sergeant and apothacary. Ate about 2k pts of a 3k point army.

Gluemy
22-12-2006, 05:10
I would say Monolith, since I play Eldar, 'couse Eldar has almost no way to deal effectively "always-14"-armor. God I hate that..

nanktank
22-12-2006, 07:54
Accursed genestealers, everytime I face an army with them I'll whittle them down to almost nothing but there's always that last one or two left over which proceed to eat every ork in sight.

Mr_Smiley
22-12-2006, 08:12
Beefed up command squads that just run through my lines and refuse to take a single wound the whole game.

elmak the fallen angel
22-12-2006, 10:04
probs the most annoyin unit that ive found was my mates 10man squad of scorpians. they went through 3 10 man chaos marine cc squads an only lost 3 men in the process

Achilles
22-12-2006, 10:25
I would say Monolith, since I play Eldar, 'couse Eldar has almost no way to deal effectively "always-14"-armor. God I hate that..

I play both (eldar & necrons) and i would say a fire dragon squad with tank hunter is quite effective now.... 8 + 1 Vs AV 14, and always a penatrating hit. 5 or a 6, its a pen. hit. it will destroy it. use about 6+ fire dragons though

And i have a personal hatred for the Force commander in a marine army... Ld 10 to the entire army... No WAY

ImmortalPariah
22-12-2006, 11:24
by far the most annoying unit out there has got to be ork vehicles, and space marines. i cant kill them! and i play as necrons with a monolith for cryin out loud!!!

infernus31
22-12-2006, 13:01
The two that seem to get me would be

Tau Broadsides, darn near indestructable to Guard and kill all my lovely tanks:cries:

Nurgle Lieutenant with Daemonic Speed, infiltrate, Manreaper and melta bombs, 1st turn charge is not fun specially when it's against my basilisk because he can run through my deployment zone :mad:

bnrweimann
25-12-2006, 12:09
Demonettes....please Vaul, let me face anything but demonettes...

First time I had played Chaos in 3rd edition, and I wasn't at all familiar with their Codex/units. My two wraithlords and the Avatar were advancing up the center of the board. On my opponents turn, he summoned the demonettes and they charged one of my wraithlords. When I found out they were only strength 3, I thought "Okay, delaying tactic to lock up the wraithlord, no ig deal." Then I found out they had rending.... Needless to say he rolled plenty of 6s and the wraithlord died immediately.

Between consolidation and another turn of movement, they caught the other wraithlord and the Avatar the following turn and eliminated them as well.

Game went downhill from there....

Hicks
25-12-2006, 15:39
I play guards and not surprisingly, the units I find most annoying are Tau suits. Especially the Broadsides wich are nigh undestructible. Thank god for GKT, because shooting at Tau is pretty useless.

The Laughing God
25-12-2006, 20:05
One of my recent battles was against a Marine army, I couldn't take down the dreadnoughts and I was necrons:confused: I won the game, but those dreads were so annoying.

stompzilla
25-12-2006, 20:17
Death company - Nuff said really.

Toastrider
26-12-2006, 01:07
I find it annoying that I have yet to find a good use for Tomb Spyders, also I find that I cannot justify the use of Heavy Destroyers in most games *sigh* They just don't work in the necron army IMO

+1, man.

Tomb Spyders are pretty much support only. They're incompetent in any form of combat, and really aren't tough enough to justify them being used to block an inbound melee-unit. If their WS/BS went up by 1 I'd consider it, but right now? Feh. At least they look cool.

Heavy Destroyers DO have one use; they should be used on monstrous creatures, particularly Tyranid 'Fexes and Tyrants. My standard Destroyers just can't pump out enough dice to force failed saves against those units.

--TR

Captain-General
26-12-2006, 01:28
That may be the case, but if you are having problems with terminators, if you are a guard player you can put a whole platoon to fire on it, or even charge it, and they should die within a few turns, 3 at most usually

Captain-General
26-12-2006, 01:33
i dunno whether it's luck, but my leman russ always seems to get my brothers stuff, and i had a 5 man termi squad on my 20 guard and only lost 7 men frm one squad, and 3 from the other. they had sniper rifles coz of the light troops doctrine, but they didnt get a kill, and a vet sarge with a plasma pistol and carapace armour also helped.

konate
26-12-2006, 02:56
Broadsides.

First turn, and a twin-linked str 10 railgun later, and I'll never field my LR Crusader ever again.

And do any Tau players really think jumping in and out with Crisis Battlesuits is fun?

Captain-General
26-12-2006, 09:43
Mylittle bro has just got the Tau Battleforce, although im not too worried as he never wins and is not tactical at all

eyeolas
26-12-2006, 12:27
vindicators, rail guns and genestealers, my boss on bike just never stands a chance!

Gutlord Grom
26-12-2006, 14:30
Broadsides......
Darn Broadsides, cheesy as hell:mad: .
Especially the kind with shield drones plus personal shields.

e033x
26-12-2006, 18:41
And i have a personal hatred for the Force commander in a marine army... Ld 10 to the entire army... No WAY

like senior officer with master vox... ld 9 for all squads with vox caster. if i kill it, the whole IG army crumbles under the "oh-so-overpowered" eldar, and if not.... well... i kill them all, instead of making them run of the table. i like it when a squad of scorpions charge an infantery squad, kill them all in the charge, and then consolidates into another squad, and gets the first attack, and kill them all and consolidates into a new one and so on.... it just makes me glad:D

Captain-General
26-12-2006, 21:00
:cries: i hate guardians, warp spiders and Falcons... They are the bane of my Existance

Shasolenzabi
26-12-2006, 21:05
[[[ Necrons,,,,anything with the WBB rule is frustrating! they won't stay down! it makes a Necron army fielded like about 1/3 more points on the table than ther really is!

Green Shine e Lemon
26-12-2006, 21:21
Well I play tau and a very mean unit that my friend has is his necron lord on a destroyer body with a warscyth he runs it to the very side of the board with turbo bost and then smashes the side of my army in the next turn he usaly kills hafl of my tau.:cries:

Brotherdraagor
26-12-2006, 21:56
Any unit which should be awesome, but when fielded by me sits on its backside and dies. Example: Tau commander (Shas'el) with Cyclic Ion Blaster and Burst Cannon, hw Multi-Tracker and Targeting Array. Should cut through infantry like no ones business, and a av 10 eldar skimmer with no trimmings shouldn't prove to be a difficulty with penetration roles either. But no, I roll three 1's on my to hit role, and then get creamed a by a twin linked Shurikan Catapult...I mean come on.

Shasolenzabi
26-12-2006, 22:01
[[[ That's just plain bad luck Draagor!

Brotherdraagor
26-12-2006, 22:47
Indeed, doesn't mean the unit itself isn't annoying from my point of view. Guess I just like to post outside the box, but I often end up more annoyed with my own units than my enemy's.

bloodlust
26-12-2006, 23:22
Space Wolf troops in close combat. They're impossible to disadvantage, always have more attacks, and always have more power weapons and power fists. When charging with any SW IC, your squad is probably dead. My SW playing friend gets the worst rolls out of anyone else I play with and his troops still mop the floor against all of my armies.

Warp_touched
27-12-2006, 00:04
Definatly my buddies Vindicator. For SOME reason, it sits back there and will not die, even when assaulted by dragons with bombs for at least one turn. And by then, I'm usually missing my farseer.

LeeJerrum
27-12-2006, 00:04
Without doubt my most feared unit is the Beserker Glaive wielding DP. Especially when he's chased into the fray by a Bloodthirster!

RUN!!

JumiKnightZero
27-12-2006, 03:57
I play Dark Eldar, Sisters of Battle, Eldar, and Marines.. And out of all of them the most feared model I own is my Canoness Superior, Tahariel. She's eaten countless mobs of ork boyz and everything else in the world she comes up against has just crumbled before her.