PDA

View Full Version : Official UK WD325 Feedback Thread

Wintermute
21-12-2006, 17:50
Issue WD 325 has arrived so its time for another feedback thread. However, will respondents to the thread please restrict their comments to this particular issue and review it on its individual merits.

If wish to make more general comments about WD, make them in the General White Dwarf Feedback Thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972).

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

UltimateNagash
21-12-2006, 21:43
Since the normal Preview WD bit of GWs website isn't working :rolleyes:, here's the right link (http://uk.games-workshop.com/whitedwarf/nextissue/nextissue-test.aspx) and thw wrong link (http://uk.games-workshop.com/whitedwarf/nextissue/). Hope that helps. From what I've heard, and saw here, it looks to be a somewhat good issue. I'll give a proper rating and full review when I get it (which should be tommorow).

Mr Tiddles
22-12-2006, 07:42
Mine arrived with the postie this morning. Which is weird as I usually get mine on a Saturday. I thought Royal Mail was supposed to be busy this time of year.

Sleazy
22-12-2006, 07:46
and apparently its perfection in magazine form???? (arrrgh)

Mr Tiddles
22-12-2006, 07:48
As always.
:)

stahly
22-12-2006, 08:33
Well, the german issue is out for ten days.
I can give an review of the international part.

- Grombrindal Editorial
"Hey! I'm a dwarf and I even though the new empire is great. Buy it!" ...
- New Releases
All the new empire goodies in a lot of pictures. I have to admit that I like shiny 1:1 pictures in 300 dpi print quality, because it helps often in the painting process. But I don't like to see the same pictures again and again over an issue.
There is also the Dark Angels preview as seen in Rumour Roundup.
- Empire review
Follows the same format as the Eldar and Ork review before. Top half of the page minis and sprue breakdowns (I love them) of all new empire box sets, bottom half review of new rules and changes. I think the review has the same quality as the Eldar one. A nice gimmick is one page of fiction at the end. Please more of it!
- Battle Report
Follows the same format as the previous ones. One turn per double page. With maps, photos and additional pieces of information.
I don't play Warhammer but I think it doesn't make sense for an undead army to choose an about 700 pts character model to become outnumbered by the Empire. Of course Empire wins.
- Lord of the Ring
Some Tactica and campaign. I'm absolutely not interested in LotR, so I can't judge the quality. But it seems to lack depth.
- Standard Bearer
Starts cool with Jervis telling us about his youth, what a nerd he was and how he enjoyed listening to bands like Yes. But then he carries on how he'd liked to play a LotR wargame back then and how great it is to be able to play LotR today, how fantastic LotR is and so on.
- Workshop: Empire General
Empire General sprue breakdown, gallery of different combinations, and some conversions. Six pages, which I feel is too much. More conversions please and less repeated 'Eavy Metal stock photos.
- Citadel Tool box: Starters guide
Of course you need to adress newbies, but this is simply an advert. Starts with a double page spread of the Citadel painting station with the whole hobby sortiment in it. The next two pages give surfially tips on tools, removing mold lines, basecoating and green stuffing.
- Tactica 40k: Assault
Six pages with good advice (except of the shown IG command squad configuration) and bits for almost every army. Nothing what an advanced gamer doesn't know, but for WD level it's good.
- Citadel Tool Box: Foam Cutter
One page, well you can guess what this is about...
- 'Eavy Metal: Neil Langdown
Four pages, a small report of an interview with EM painter Neil Langdown, and a lot of pictures of painted models by him, the Giant (...) among others. Nice, but I'd like to read about Neil as a person.
- 'Eavy Metal Masterclass: Engineer on mechanical steed.
Yay! My personal highlight of the issue. EMMC is back on whopping six pages, showing an step-by-step guide for the mini. It's all there, mixing formulas and additional advice like gold and metal washing techniques.
- 'Eavy Metal showcase: Eldar character models.
All these stock photos again. This is so lame. I enjoy the painting aspect of the hobby most but what sense does it make to show the exact photos of the new releases pages again? If they would review the paint jobs on the models, saying e.g. this part was painted with this color recipe or this technique, it'd be ok, but simply showing the paint jobs again... just no.
- other impressions:
There was a lot of real adverts in there. Not disguised articles, but pages just showing models and prices. Two pages spread for each of the starter boxes, then one page for Vampire Counts and Chaos Space marines. Lame. I hope this was just because of Christmas.

Overall: Some nice parts, some let-downs. On the positive side a short fiction and the 'Eavy Metal Master Class in a format that justifies the high image rate and page count. Then, a lot of adverts and mini stock photo recycling. Nevertheless, I feel WD is slowly improving.

Destris
22-12-2006, 10:46
A decent issue, I was laughing out loud at the new releases section though. The most blatant "BUY THIS TEH NOW!!!!11!!" ever: "This ??? contains ?? finely detailed bla bla bla. Now that made me laugh. Other than that a slightly more decent issue though. Scored it a 7.
Steve
EDIT: Just noticed: Masterclass is back! A pretty decent one as well, I've just bought an Empire engineer to give it a go :D.

EvC
22-12-2006, 11:10
Sounds like the same issue we got over here- best issue of the year, by far. Can't complain about a few pages of adverts, any magazine has them, and GW has had far more in the past.

Battle report was great, surprisingly. 'Eavy Metal painting guide is exactly the kind of thing needed. I sat down and read the mag while I had a spare hour and I still have more to get through, first time in a while.

Solid 7/10

75hastings69
22-12-2006, 12:28
Well unexpectedly mine arrived this morning. And having a better look than I did in store I have to say that this has been the best WD for AGES!!!

As primarily a painter not a gamer I found this issue fantastic, plenty of eavy metal stuff. In fact plenty of everything for me. I would have liked to seen pictures of the Warmaster Araby stuff but other than that this issue was pretty damn good!!! 8 out of 10 (SHOCK!!!!).

Steve

mattjgilbert
22-12-2006, 14:10
I rated it average. Fairly good battle report with Empire vs Vampie Counts(guess who wins :rolleyes: ). Some good painting articles this month :) 40K Assault troop tactica which was, well... meh.

BAD JJ Standard Bearer article this month. One of the most obvious three page adverts for LotR you could possibly have and a watse of paper :(

Getting better though. Some nice pics of the Fantasy buildings which were on display at Games Day with a promise of more to see next month. Made me want to go build some of my own. It's been a while since anything in WD did that :)

Torgaddon
22-12-2006, 14:45
Mine arrived with the postie this morning. Which is weird as I usually get mine on a Saturday. I thought Royal Mail was supposed to be busy this time of year.

Yak yak! We are, believe me! :p
We still have to get the mail through though. You'll notice WD is sent 2ndClass, it's not just mailsort (m) like some publications.
:D
T

Sorry, on topic.. This issue was average IMO.
Milking the Empire as you'd expect, nice painting guide for the Robo-horse, but nothing that blew my socks away.
There are some pictures of Golden Demon winners to whet your apppetite for one of those booklet jobbies they do. Of particular note here is the Autumnal Dryads regiment.
Oh, and the picture of the Engine of the Gods is always worth another look.
T

Sabbad
22-12-2006, 18:53
If an average WD from the good old days gets a 7, and a below average WD from that time gets a 6, then it would be unjust to give this WD anything other than a 5 out of 10.

Reviewing WD has become difficult in the past few months, as I want to give a fair and balanced review. On one hand I'm trying to avoid falling into the situation where I say things like "Well its the best WD for a year, therefore it must be really, really good." Lets face it, WD hasn't been itself for at least a year now- so I've got to compare it with what WD was like before, as well as what it is now. On the other hand, these days it seen as the done thing to reflexively respond "WD sucks" without actually reviewing each WD for its own merits, instead falling into the belief that "the last 7 or 8 WDs were rubbish, so I don't have to look at the new WD to know that it will be too."

With this in mind, I'm going to review each article one by one from 2 viewpoints- one judging it from the standards of the past year's WDs (short term review), and a second judgement comparing it to the articles of WD Paul Sawyer-era (long term review).

EDITORIAL (pages 1-2)
SHORT TERM: Same as normal.
LONG TERM: Kiddy, pointless, useless. Laughable when compared to the probing viewpoints of the hobby revealed in Paul Sawyer's editorials.

NEW RELEASES (pages 3-11)
SHORT TERM: "Now it says that the models are finely detailed! That means I'm going to spend even more money on them!" :rolleyes:
LONG TERM: Wow, look at all the white space. 10 pages of stuff that could have fitted on four, maybe five pages. Not to mention the fact that there used to be background for the new releases in this section (I used to read this part of the magazine. Now I just skip through it). Plus the models look quite poorly painted (particularly the missile troops- where's the detail on the clothing?)

NEWS (pages 12-16)
SHORT TERM: Dark Angels preview is on one page rather than spread across two. This is a good thing.
LONG TERM: Less pictures and smaller text would have been better. That said, I don't remember GW EVER announcing their next Summer Campaign this early...

EMPIRE DESIGNERS NOTES (pages 17-25)
SHORT TERM: Pretty good. Gives an analysis of the entire armies list rather than rambling on about whatever new stuff they're releasing. Also some stuff about the background in the book too.
LONG TERM: If I hadn't read any Designers Notes over the past year's WDs other than this, then this would be the worst Designers Notes I've ever read. More space on pictures than words. No mention of how the armies book actually gets put together. No mention of the artwork or hobby section. No mention of how ideas changed during playtesting. No reference to the guy who ACTUALLY WROTE the armies book. No style guide (a bit of text giving the Empire's "overall feel"). No discussion of where new ideas for rules came from. No reasons behind why changes were made even. Not good.

THE BATTLE FOR ERSTEDORF (pages 26-27)
SHORT TERM: My god! Is this a STORY in WD! I can't remember having seen one of these in WD for months!
LONG TERM: Story isn't particularly well written, and smaller text would have made a longer (and better) story. This is nitpicking really, when one considers my delight in there being a story in WD at all.

BATTLE FOR SKULL PASS (pages 28-29)
SHORT TERM: Advert. As expected (in fact, I seem to remember seeing this advert before)
LONG TERM: WD used to pride itself on its lack of advertising. This is shameful.

MARCH OF THE DAMNED BATTLE REPORT (pages 30-45)
SHORT TERM: As normal really. The good news is that every turn gets at least one of either a map or a picture of the battlefield, so you get some kind of idea for what happens each turn (rather than getting a map for turns 1 and 3, and guessing what happened in turn 2)
LONG TERM: Poor. Lack of detail in text means we don't get a full idea of what is going on. A 2000pts games would have been easier to follow than a 3000pts one. No tactical discussion. No background setting. No story. No mention of deployment AT ALL. Turns told from a third person perspective, so we don't get to find out WHY players did certain actions. Unimpressive.

NEMESIS CROWN (pages 46-47)
SHORT TERM: Advertising something 7 months in advance is an all time low.
LONG TERM: Not good...

WARHOSTS OF THE FIRSTBORN (pages 48-55)
SHORT TERM: Background and tactics are a rarity in WD these days (especially for LotR) so I guess we should be grateful.
LONG TERM: Background is nothing an experienced player wouldn't know already. Paint schemes are not given, only pictures. Tactics are embarassingly simplistic.

BATTLE FOR THE TOWER (pages 56-57)
SHORT TERM: Scenarios aren't too common in WD these days, so this is welcomed, especially as it is quite an interesting one.
LONG TERM: One scenario amongst the many that used to be in WD back in those days. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to actually show people how Mark Jones made the Elven hall?

MINES OF MORIA (pages 58-59)
SHORT TERM: Advert...
LONG TERM: Shameful, shameful advert.

STANDARD BEARER (pages 60-62)
SHORT TERM: As per normal really- a thinly disguised advert (this month for LotR)
LONG TERM: Starts promisingly enough with Jervis chatting about his old wargaming days and his own early experiences. You hope that he's about to say something like "You don't need loads of expertly painted models to have a good time" or "This is my totally unique and interesting reason for liking LotR", but he instead devolves into saying "LotR is great. Now go buy it."

VAMPIRE COUNTS (page 63)
SHORT TERM: Well, we're pretty much used to the advertising these days aren't we?
LONG TERM: In the past these army-specific pages would have shown examples of classics models and components that can be direct ordered. This used to be great when searching for components. Advertising like this serves no purpose.

GETTING STARTED (pages 64-67)
SHORT TERM: Great for beginners, which seems to be WD's target audience these days.
LONG TERM: As above really. One beginner article every now again isn't a problem so long as its not the predominant feature of every magazine.

MODELLING WORKSHOP: EMPIRE GENERAL (pages 68- 71)
SHORT TERM: Pretty much unique in that it gives ideas for conversions at the end, rather than solely just pretty pictures.
LONG TERM: Conversions are basic. A rather pointless article really.

MODELLING ELECTOR COUNTS (pages 72-73)
SHORT TERM: Promising. The Elector Count model is given some attention in terms of how the model was converted and painted. Not to mention the fact that it actually has background (the names of the Elector Counts in particular are invaluable)
LONG TERM: The whole thing is less detailed than you'd usually expect- but the table of Electors is very useful from whatever viewpoint you're looking at it from.

CHAOS SPACE MARINES (page 74)
SHORT TERM: As Vampire Counts (above).
LONG TERM: As Vampire Counts (above).

CITADEL TOOLBOX (page 75)
SHORT TERM: Does exactly what it says on the tin- a comprehensive guide to using a Hot Wire Cutter.
LONG TERM: If you don't have a Hot Wire Cutter, then this is of no use to you. If you do have one, then you probably know how to use it. Which means this is nothing less than an advert.

TACTICA: ASSAULT TROOPS (pages 76-81)
SHORT TERM: Any tactics articles are appreciated in a time where quality WD articles are rare. Hearing the advice from different players, and from the perspectives of individual races, is cool.
LONG TERM: Common sense tactics really (well, for a relative veteran like me at least)- but even in the "good old days" I've seen worse.

BATTLE FOR MACRAGGE (pages 82-83)
SHORT TERM: Well, its taken as a given that there will be lots of advertising in WD.
LONG TERM: They'd never have gotten away with this in my day...

PAINTING MASTERS (pages 84-87)
SHORT TERM: Its good to here from the actual painters, giving their own opinions on painting and how they go about doing it. Its also good to see attention given to some models other than the latest releases.
LONG TERM: Less white space could have made this article shorter- or even allowed space to see more models from a guy who is clearly an exceptional painter.

PAINTING MASTERCLASS (pages 88-93)
SHORT TERM: Whoah. WHOAH! I can't remember seeing a painting article this detailed all year. A full account of how to paint the model to an exceptional standard, from start to finish. Masterclass has well and truly arrived.
LONG TERM: Longer than any Painting Masterclass article I remember from Paul Sawyer's era. This might be due to too much white space, or perhaps even more detail in the article- I'm genuinely not sure which.

ELDAR HEROES (pages 94-97)
SHORT TERM: The usual showcase of 'Eavy Metal models advertising the latest release.
LONG TERM: Pointless. No indication of how the models were painted- just pictures and white space.

GAMES DAY REVIEW (pages 98-103)
SHORT TERM: Quite a lot of writing (!!!). Gives a good overview of what happened at Games Day.
LONG TERM: If you went to Games Day, you know all of this stuff. If you didn't go, this is of no use to you. That means advertising. OK, that's a bit harsh, but the severe amount of advertising in the mag eventualy gets to you.

DWARVEN CONFLICT (pages 104-108)
SHORT TERM: Its great to see articles written from the first person perspective of an actual hobbiest. The article is well written and informative- its always great to see other hobbiests talking about their own experiences. One of the best articles in the mag.
LONG TERM: In an older WDs this would have stood out less (hobbiest-orientated articles were more common back then), but this is a good article by any standard.

REST OF THE MAG (pages 109-128)
SHORT TERM: Everything you'd expect to find in the back of WD these days.
LONG TERM: Adverts about events, adverts about components, adverts about in-store events, adverts about latest releases, adverts about the next WD and the ever-useful Store Finder which I can use to find a GW store in Serbia-Montenegro. Insert mournful sigh here.

Certain articles such as the Painting Masterclass, Dwarven Conflict and Story stand out as particularly noteworthy, but compared to the issues of the past this is simply not very good. Even if WD does continue to improve a little like this did, it'll be a long time until it returns to the quality of the past. That said, I stopped being disappointed with WD long ago- unfortunately I generally expect the worst.

Oh well.

3 0f 6
23-12-2006, 12:22
Heh, wow, this months mag was used to carry my assorted bills upstairs without dropping them, thats its only use i feel.

I think its time to stop getting this mag sent to my house every month.
I can get better knowledge online/at tournies in nottingham/from gw stores / or on here anyway...

the only useful thing recently in wd was a few months back when it showed all the 2007 events etc, so i already know and booked off for the next tourny im heading off to

leonmallett
23-12-2006, 13:40
Average issue in my book - still deciding whether to renew my subscription or not, which has now just run out. The Standard Bearer article was poor and felt like 'filler', rather than a purposeful informative article.

plantagenet
23-12-2006, 18:16
I thought this was a good issue of White Dwarf. They had made obvious attempts to make the Battle Reports clearer.

The new Master Class article was very welcome as was the focus look at the Eavy Metal who did the tutorial.

I think people are deluding themselves slightly as to how good WD used to be. In my mind this issue clearly shows they are back on track. Still lots of room for improvement but compared to where they went with the Giant issue this is really good stuff.

I gave it an 8. To take it higher they would need to start doing more focus on developers and artists. Put a little more depth into the army creation process. As someone else said early would be nice to see more of the thought process behind the changes they made.

Steel_Legion
23-12-2006, 18:36
I am split, i have read it is terrible somewhere, but after Stahlys really good review, i want it! Masterclass it finally back, and by the sound of things White Dwarf is at long last getting better!

anarchistica
24-12-2006, 11:57
It sucks, as always. It's even worse if they make blatantly stupid mistakes in the battle report. On p.37 Kurt Helborg doesn't challenge the Wraith with Cursed Book because the Skeleton champion might accept... Pity you can see on page 35 that neither Skeleton unit actually has a champion. Even worse is the Empire player's army selection. You go up against Undead but don't take any of the actually changed units that are made to fight Undead? Where are the Flagellants, the Helblaster, the Steamtank? Now you get a battle report with almost no changed units (yeah, they got 1 point cheaper, wow) against an army that's been played to the death (haha pun) in WD. What's next month, Dwarfs vs. Dark Elves? I wanted to see how Pistoliers work in the new edition, whether or not the changed Flagellants completely destroy Undead, if the Helblaster can still kill a couple of Ghouls, etc. What a ******* waste.

EvC
24-12-2006, 14:26
Yeah, I just noticed the champion-less Skeleton blooper as well. And they got the Banner of Doom/ Barrows mixed up a few times, but I guess no-one should be surprised any more.

For some reason WD has a habit of repeating Battle Reports... Tomb King VS Bretonnians when the TK book was released and then again for Bretonnia's release? Oh well, at least they added some kind of linked narrative (And guess which army won each time ;) ). They also had Dwarves vs VC two times within three or four issues a while ago, and the the only battle reports featuring High Elves and Dark Elves over a period of about three or four years were all DE vs HE... but never mind. This is more a General Comment, sorry mods ;)

Wintermute
24-12-2006, 15:51
This is more a General Comment, sorry mods ;)

Which should have been made here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972)

Apology Accepted :p

The post comparing the current WD to WD 288, has been deleted for being off-topic.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

Dr. Who
24-12-2006, 23:03
Another month, another WD. And this one is indeed a pile of mostly garbage from an article stand point (thinly disguised ads). The 'Eavy Metal stuff is, *shock, horror*, ok!

On the topic of the Empire battle report: I think it is hilarious that Adam Troke (Inquisitor Rex) describes in the "Developer's Notes" that Hans Von Groppen (his named Empire captain) is always first on his Empire roster and then proceeds to make an Empire army without said Empire Captain! It is also funny that through seven years of playing Empire, he has no experience using a BSB. But that may just be me. To Adam's defense he does touch upon it in the post game notes, but that just makes you wonder why he listened to the other studio guys in the first place. Stick to your guns, dammit! ;)

And Graham McNeill has left the building! *sniff*

- Dr.

Inquisitor Maul
25-12-2006, 10:44
Which should have been made here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972)

Apology Accepted :p

The post comparing the current WD to WD 288, has been deleted for being off-topic.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

You need this pic Wintermute ;)

Sorry for the OT :D

Jellicoe
27-12-2006, 07:53
Sorry but this gets a weak 4 from me

Flimsy white space filled lame articles which were swamped with crass advertising - how many times have we had skull pass and Macragge plastered over the paper

occupied barely 30minutes of my time whereas the previous issue had at least some re read merit

no more subscription from me I think

philbrad2
27-12-2006, 10:31
A 2 from me.

Very weak. GW Really need to balance the content out between systems. Still way too much "He kids look at the new shiny stuff!" Nothing of note stands out for me. Painting articles weren't bad, everything else was.

As with JELLICOE I wont be renewing my sub in 2007 for this. I think I'll be adding 50p to what I save and going for XBox Live subscription instead - far more worthwhile and enjoyable!

PhilB
:chrome:

scarletsquig
27-12-2006, 11:37
Just dropping by to say that I appreciate everyone's input on these review threads - it's a lot quicker and better than flicking through a copy in WH Smiths before deciding whether to buy it (especially if the cellophane's still on ;) )

Chris_Tzeentch
28-12-2006, 16:18
I have bought every issue of WD from 97 onwards, but it ends here now. What a waste of paper. Toilet paper is a more interesting read than the recent WDs.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
28-12-2006, 17:34
well im very very impressed with white dwarf january it could not have been bettered wow its amazing, the battle report was brilliant with something like 4 irresistable force in 2 turns almost unbelievable and the gd report thingy WOW i must contain my excitement!!!

Spaceraider
28-12-2006, 19:27
after three months of non-purchases I bought this to get a good look at those empire sprues, 5 mins after buying it and I'm done, no content of note for me. :D
At least those three missed issues saved me the money for the eldar codex.;)

Ozymandiass
28-12-2006, 22:26
I think some of the posters are being overly harsh. *GASP*, GW uses its own Magazine to advertize their games! How dare they! :rolleyes:

I gave this one an 8. It is significantly improved from the past several months. Had some decent content (I really like seeing the contents of the sprues all nicely done up), a decent enough battle report, and some good painting related articles. Would I like more, sure, but that doesn't mean I'm immediately going to bash the first good issue in months.

Ozymandias, King of Kings

Grimtuff
28-12-2006, 22:26
well im very very impressed with white dwarf january it could not have been bettered wow its amazing, the battle report was brilliant with something like 4 irresistable force in 2 turns almost unbelievable and the gd report thingy WOW i must contain my excitement!!!

So much so you appear to be unable to use basic punctuation. :rolleyes:

As for this issue, I can sum it up in 7 words: Not worth the paper it's printed on. (mainly as every gripe has already been said IMO)

A resounding 2 from me.

anarchistica
29-12-2006, 11:40
I think some of the posters are being overly harsh. *GASP*, GW uses its own Magazine to advertize their games! How dare they! :rolleyes:
Gasp, people actually would like to see some content to go with the ads.

Btw, you're getting the UK WD in California? How does that work?

So much so you appear to be unable to use basic punctuation. :rolleyes:
*points to option to see what people voted*

I figured i'd read this garbage before commenting on it, then realised i had in fact already done that...

Let's see: 1-17 Ads.
18-25 Another worthless designer notes article. Or, to "quote" Gav: "We didn't bother to make alternative army lists because we don't care you made a Cult of Ulric list, tosser". :rolleyes:
26-27 Story/art. You can find better stories on here, and less phallic art too.
28-29 Ads.
30-45 Error-ridden, stupid and worthless battle report. See my comment above.
46-47 Ads.
48-55. "Elves have good stats and pretty models." How's that for your monthly LOTR content?
56-57 Scenario 10,507 for LOTR.
58-59 Ads.
60-62 "LOTR kicks ass and has pretty models." Oh Jervis, please stop embarassing us and yourself with this garbage.
63 Ads. "Buy old VC models now, we have to get rid of them before the new book gets here." Probably the reason why they're in the battle report too.
64-67 Basic stuff they should print in a flyer, not in WD.
68-73 "Here's how you glue a model with ridiculous **** stuck on him."
74-75 Ads.
76-81 This is what passes for "tactics" these days. I love how they advise you to spend 282 on a 7 model IG command group of whom less than half have a 4+ save. Oh no, 16 S3 Attacks that allow saves, mommy i'm scared! :eyebrows:
82-83 Ads. Battle of My Crack.
84-87 "Ooh, pretty models. That you already saw. A hundred times. Oh, and look, the Giant, i almost forgot there was one...".
88-93 *shock, horror* A... an actual article! And it provides, like, information and stuff. This is why it gets a 2, not a 1.
94-97 "Lookit dem pretty models. #2"
98-103 Half-decent article about GD. Pity you could've read this online, 4 months ago.
104-108 Army showcase with exactly 3 close ups and, yet again, no information on conversions or anything.
109-128 Ads.So, to sum it up:
- 47 out of 128 pages are pure ads. That's 36,7%.
- 46 out of 128 pages are utterly useless articles. Another 35%.
- 6 out of 128 pages are only there to show pretty models with no info whatsoever.
- 10 out of 128 pages are plain useless (not utterly useless) articles.
- 2 out of 128 pages are stories & art.
- 5 out of 128 pages are the only useful article, and it's a painting tutorial...

I got all excited when i saw text on the address sheet. Unfortunately, my subscription isn't due to run out in 3 months, they're just making this disgusting piece of garbage even more expensive...

de Selby
29-12-2006, 13:53
Haven't finished reading it yet. I note some pages on conversions, which is pleasing. The battle report army lists are as always constrained by the size of the studio armies. I prefer to see gamers armies in WD personally, but this is rare.

Was interesting to see the Helstorm rocket launcher in WD, I hadn't seen one before. Also I don't remember seeing the warhammer buildings before (the inn, the ship-tower-thing etc.). If the terrain pieces they release are of this quality I will almost certainly buy...

Sabbad
29-12-2006, 15:09
Where are the pictures of Warhammer buildings? My frantic search through the new WD has proved fruitless!

de Selby
29-12-2006, 15:13
The terrain in the battle report. Apologies if you've seen these before, it is possible that I've just not been paying attention.

They look too big and too carefully detailed to be suitable for release, but I would like it if the rumoured new building were similar.

edit: actually reading the introduction to the report, and correlating with Warseer's own rumour roundup, reveals that these are one-off resin casts for the studio and warhammer world. There are plastic buildings coming, but they're sculpted by someone else.

Ozymandiass
29-12-2006, 15:17
Gasp, people actually would like to see some content to go with the ads.

Btw, you're getting the UK WD in California? How does that work?

2/3 of the Magazine was content. And BTW, UK WD 325 is pretty much the exact same magazine as US WD 324.

anarchistica
29-12-2006, 16:10
2/3 of the Magazine was content. And BTW, UK WD 325 is pretty much the exact same magazine as US WD 324.
As far as i'm concerned, "Elves have good stats and pretty models." and "LOTR kicks ass and has pretty models." doesn't really count as content, nor do some random pictures of pretty models.

Maybe i should've said "quality" content, since most people have forgotten what that was like.

Worthless designer notes ain't quality content. Horrible phallic art, poor story, useless battle report, crap "tactics" article, all devoid of quality unless you count "shi'te" as a quality.

Five pages with a painting tutorial for a half-metallic model, 5 pages with a dated GD article and 4 pages with a crap army showcase... this is as close as it gets to "quality" content. Fourteen pages out of 128. I'm paying a quid per 4 pages of content, not really worth it, is it? :chrome:

Ozymandiass
29-12-2006, 17:30
As far as i'm concerned, "Elves have good stats and pretty models." and "LOTR kicks ass and has pretty models." doesn't really count as content, nor do some random pictures of pretty models.

Maybe i should've said "quality" content, since most people have forgotten what that was like.

Worthless designer notes ain't quality content. Horrible phallic art, poor story, useless battle report, crap "tactics" article, all devoid of quality unless you count "shi'te" as a quality.

Five pages with a painting tutorial for a half-metallic model, 5 pages with a dated GD article and 4 pages with a crap army showcase... this is as close as it gets to "quality" content. Fourteen pages out of 128. I'm paying a quid per 4 pages of content, not really worth it, is it? :chrome:

Everything you just said is YOUR opinion, and I am sure there are people out there who will agree or disagree. If you don't think 4 quid is worth it, don't buy it (read Firebase, that has quality content and is free). I only said it is better than the previous issues and I enjoyed some of the content. Again, that is MY opinion. If you are saying that your opinion is worth more than mine, then again, that is YOUR opinion. ;)

swordwind
29-12-2006, 19:50
"Dont stand out in the open if you dont want to get shot" this is what passes for a tactics article these days? My 6 year old sister could have told you that.

And I see they're still trying to flog the Giant. I know they have that there fancy computer moulding thingy to pay for but come on!

Stormtrooper Clark
30-12-2006, 15:51
Now normally i'm not one to say White Dwarf is crap (It's not the best mag out there of course) but this Issue didn't cut it for me, i was going to give it a five but took it down one after seeing they now put "Finely detailed" in the new releases.

FatOlaf
31-12-2006, 13:53
I gave it a six but that's only to try and encourage them to improve.

They have spent months persuading you to buy the new empire army and book, so I did, and now this issue has how many pages telling you what you already know/have.

Battle report was so error ridden it was untrue, I HATE this new way of laying it out, it's all over the place, where was back story and tactics section. And if you have to lay it our this way, make the diagram correct, it is essential to follow what is going on and yet from turn 3 onwards, units are not there, incorrectly labelled, in the wrong place.

Standard Bearer, JJ should be ashamed, WTF was that, the most blatant cry for help for LOTR this year. GW, LOTR is a sinking ship, face facts.
On the other hand, I have to say the way they lay out the LOTR sections is great, I dont read any of it, but the layout should be used throughout WD.

However, on the plus sides, the reason I gave it a six (last issue 4), the return of some fiction, the doubles Battle report (more please, every issue, bigger), the masterclass (shame it was for such a crap figure), the beginners painting stage by stage could be good.

Also in this thread I read people saying it is alright for GW to put so much advertising in their own mag.

Some one in the main WD thread said 'most companies give their catalogues away for free', this is key, I detest the fact that they have turned WD into a catalogue from the companion it was. Of course you can have some adverts in a mag but not a third combined with 'articles' that are adverts (Standard Bearer), Battle Reps that are adverts for new army, adverts for age old products, painting classes that are adverts for the new model, no-one will buy.
Do a monthly catalogue with a breakdown of all the figs, give that away in your stores, DO NOT make us spend 4 for your adverts or we will stop buying it, if GW loses it's older customers (ie the ones with money), which it seems hell bent on doing, you will go bust! :mad:

infernus31
01-01-2007, 18:18
I too gave it a 6, as a general trend this is a general improvement, I like the masterclass, showing what pieces there are in the sprues (those pistoliers will look perfect when converted into rough riders) The Battle report even if riddled with errors was at least enjoyable to read speaking for myself, though as others have said a background story, and some more thought into deployment might help.

The main thing I've missed are the designers notes, since the Black Templars they've lacked the detail they once had, wheres the reasons for changes and new units? A bit of personailty will get GW a long way as it once did.

rivers3162
01-01-2007, 23:13
Too many pages on new releases and crap at the back (storefinder etc.) but generally, I thought this issue was an improvement. Personally, I quite like it when they show you what the new sprues consist of and there was actually a couple of conversions and an article about a non-studio army.

The battle report was a bit better despite the errors and the masterclass on the Engineer was good to see. JJ's article did seem like a bit of a plea for help for LOTR (which made me chuckle). One thing that annoyed me a bit was that at the back, the "buy part of the battle report army" was laid out so that it looked that by buying part, one could save some money, although the price was the exact same as buying all the bits individually. Surely simple list would have saved time and space?

Overall a 5 from me

Nazguire
02-01-2007, 08:33
This weeks White Dwarf is mediocre at best. Currently, it's a 7 or so. But compared to 20 or so issues ago, it's a 1 or 2. The 'quality' content is anything with one or two paragraphs of text, as opposed to 4-6 pages of text. A large percentage of glaringly obvious, annoying and frankly embarrassing advertisements, as opposed to articles that both were enjoyable to read and wanted you to shell out dollar after dollar on archived parts/models.

Getz
02-01-2007, 15:58
I've only skimmed the Mag in my local GW overall, so I'll refrain from voting, but I did look at the Assault article with some interest.

Aside from advising a Guard players to partake in the insanity of a 282 point HQ (much of the cost coming from sinking points into worthless wargear like carapace armour, mastercrafted weapons and a trademark item when the squad already has a standard bearer) without ever mentioning Rough Riders, there were at least two glaring errors in the rules quoted. Master Crafted weapon do not allow you to reroll all misses and medics allow you to ignore a failed save, not reroll it...

Anyway, irrespective of the rest of the content, if GW can't get their own rules right in tactics articles in their own magazine then I really do despair.

Grimtuff
02-01-2007, 19:51
....Master Crafted weapon do not allow you to reroll all misses and medics allow you to ignore a failed save, not reroll it...

Besides, it's somewhat redundant also with the Priest's abilities

Osbad
03-01-2007, 10:43
Flicked through a copy at Wargames Emprium last week. It looked better than many recent efforts, so good news there. Still not good enough to warrent £4 of my cash though. I gave it a "6" purely on this basis - and that is the highest I have awarded since this poll first started coming out.

To be honest though, much of that may not be down to simply WD, but more to GW in general which isn't producing much I'm interested in anymore. I've sorta "moved on" really.

much2much
03-01-2007, 12:19
Eighto.

What an emotional experience this issue was for me.

Part of it is because we in Aus got a Golden Demon booklet with ours. As much as I love the Project Logs of Warseer there is nothing like holding the glossy pages of White Dwarf with pictures of beautiful miniatures.

Even besides that just seeing the beautiful new Empire miniatures with their beautiful paint jobs was and still is fantastic. Red and white has never looked so good. There is copious amounts of Empire stuff but not too much. Even though the red and white is beautiful I was getting a thumping in my heart that there weren't alternative colour schemes (except a few odd ones here and there) but it is promised for NEXT MONTH. 'Eavy Metal have really done a spectacular job. I will be excited to buy next months issue too (not to mention the Dark Angels too).

The Vostroyan and Nurgle battle report was good. The victory conditions weren't correctly outlined at the start of it though. We got an army showcase of an NZ army and it is fantastic.

The Eldar Heroes pages are a waste of space. I won't begrudge Lord of the Rings lovers their pages but I don't think even die hard Eldar players would have valued this echo from the warp. I except to hear otherwise if otherwise.

The hot wire cutter looks great for desserts and entrees.

Thank god the Giant showed up, I was having withdrawals.

DesolationAngel
03-01-2007, 12:58
4, I read my friends copy (wouldn't buy it myself at 4), basically a minatures catalogue that you can find with the online store, battlereport seemed OK but was a obvious grab to advertise models with the new empire release. Some bits were just bad though, the assualt tactics come to mind, some of the tactics (summoning daemons and hiding and then charging with Scarabs) were so obviously apparent I wonder why they published them. What they need is battlereports with tourney players with hard lists and a lot of detail, not you can get this army for X. To me a whole magazine of tactics, lists and decent battlereports is the only think that would make it worth 4, as it is why not visit the online store to see the new releases and save some money.

Its better than the WD online emailed one though, which is basically a link to the GW online store.

Jedi152
04-01-2007, 07:30
Got it yesterday, and i really enjoyed it - but then i'm really looking forward to the new Empire.

Good battle report, but one thing - are the buildings in it the new plastic ones? Please make my day and say yes!

Bjorn Stormwolf
05-01-2007, 11:43
I gave it a eight, mainly for the empire stuff... great painting masterclass too....

4, What they need is battlereports with tourney players with hard lists and a lot of detail, not you can get this army for X. To me a whole magazine of tactics, lists and decent battlereports is the only think that would make it worth 4, as it is why not visit the online store to see the new releases and save some money.

I'm sure this has been pointed out 4.36 billion times before but it has said on the cover of White Dwarf for 15 centuries.... Monthly Minatures Catalogue.... why be surprised when there are plenty adverts for the products they are selling?. I admit it does need more hobby content but as a pick up and browse/look at the pictures magazine (as is it's job really) it does its job well enough for my money... and it definitely got my money this month, i especially appreciate the way they set out the painted sprue contents.

If you want a magazine focussing on tournament play, why not DIY? Firebase is an incredible example of a fan made magazine, perfect for the more experienced hobbyist; the audience it is aimed at. I'd love to flick through your tourney magazine but i wouldn't hand over the 4 i happily did for this months White Dwarf.

Sleazy
05-01-2007, 12:00
[QUOTE=Bjorn Stormwolf;1194587]

I'm sure this has been pointed out 4.36 billion times before but it has said on the cover of White Dwarf for 15 centuries.... Monthly Minatures Catalogue.... QUOTE]

it does???

I thought it said "Monthly Miniatures Magazine"? I dont remember seeing the word "catalogue" anywhere before, when did this change??

Tanner MIrabel
05-01-2007, 13:19
It says "magazine" on mine too. Not a bad issue. I like the fact that the tactica will be around for a few months. They may not go into great depth, but for beginners (both to the hobby and to certain armies), and also to people who don't actually play much they're helpful. Good battle report. I like the real-life features: eg that painter's work, the doubles tournament reports, and the Games Day feature. I'm not well into painting, so I wasn't keen on the 6 pages of Master Class on one model, but I can see how it would be useful for those who are.

Edit: Forgot to add, I would have liked more Empire fluff with the new release stuff, but hopefully that will come next month. And the designers' notes was fairly dull too, being just descriptions of the various units. Either have a proper notes (a la Witchhunters, which I regard as the best overall new release campaign for ages) or call it something different.

Styles
05-01-2007, 14:24
The battle report was like one of those spot the mistakes things:

I saw the following (some folk have allready mentioned this i notice):

1. Big box on why he didnt issue a challenge when the groups dont even have skeleton champions (or they did and they just were not included in the army list)!
2. Getting mixed up between the doom banner and barrow banner.
3. Summoning 2 dire wolves when 3 can clearly be seen in the photos!
4. Manfreds sword gives you power as well as dispel dice depending on which turn it is, its not just dispel as he seems to be saying.

Any one spot any else? It really is poor if I spotted these over one read through and a general look before hand.

UltimateNagash
05-01-2007, 15:27
Maybe he didn't know if there was one or something? Cause they don't have Champions - the points are right...

anarchistica
05-01-2007, 15:59
I like the fact that the tactica will be around for a few months. They may not go into great depth, but for beginners (both to the hobby and to certain armies), and also to people who don't actually play much they're helpful.
Thing is, the Tactica article is worthless. Not only has it about as much depth as a puddle of mud, it also gives retarded advise. How is it useful that they tell you to waste 288 points on 7 T3 4/5+ save models with a bunch of S3 Attacks and Low Initiative? I've played 40K about 5 times in my entire life and i could write a better tactica than that garbage.

"You know, those guys called "Assault Squad" are useful for, like, assaulting and stuff."

violenceha
05-01-2007, 22:11
Anarchistica, I wish i had read your review before buying, it's absolutely spot on, this issue is absolutely pathetic, as far as i'm concerned it deserves a minus. Also if i see one more person try and convince us that it says white dwarf is a catalogue on the front cover i shall report their post!

UltimateNagash
06-01-2007, 07:18
I know people have been complaigning on having the "buy the army featured in the battle report thing", but they've done that for ages. They did it at the beginning of 6th ed, and actually had it for most of the time. Can't remember when they stopped though...

Crube
06-01-2007, 12:00
Getting better, but still not great...the inclusion of a decent Eavy Metal Masterclss is fantastic as far as I'm concerned, even if they did miss bits off (the light blue, the base of the skulls IIRC)

The battle report is still a little too shalow, as was the interview with Mr Eavy Metal Bloke, and the tactics articles for 40K and LotR, but the fact they are there hopefully bodes well (or at least better) for the future

7 for me

Scamshouse
07-01-2007, 10:50
I don't play LOTR or Warhammer, so the idea of spending 4 on a 6 page assault tactica for 40k seemed a pretty bad deal to me.

Rated 1 Worst as this is the first WD in over 3 years that I didn't bother to buy, and that makes me sad :cries:

Sabbad
07-01-2007, 11:04
A quick totalling and dividing of the poll scores above gives a mean rating of 5. That's good in that its what I voted, thus validating my opinion. However, it's bad when you consider how poorly WD is considered by its readers.

Still, we keep buying the mag anyway, so I guess we're the suckers not them.

EvC
07-01-2007, 21:27
The battle report was like one of those spot the mistakes things:

I saw the following (some folk have allready mentioned this i notice):

1. Big box on why he didnt issue a challenge when the groups dont even have skeleton champions (or they did and they just were not included in the army list)!
2. Getting mixed up between the doom banner and barrow banner.
3. Summoning 2 dire wolves when 3 can clearly be seen in the photos!
4. Manfreds sword gives you power as well as dispel dice depending on which turn it is, its not just dispel as he seems to be saying.

Any one spot any else? It really is poor if I spotted these over one read through and a general look before hand.

Ya, (1) and (2) I mentioned earlier, made me think maybe the undead player was sneaky and let the Empire think there was a Champion and thus not offer a challenge. Not that I see the point, as the picture showed that Helborg would be in base to base contact with the Wraith anyway! But photo stuff like that and (3) probably doesn't mean anything, they're just there to give an impression (All the photos after the first turn showed a Hell Knight in the Black Knight unit but he was already gone). I think with (4) he was just being a bit vague with his description, as it was Mannfred's turn so those extra dice would have been for Dispelling, indeed.

Just one other thing: how the heck did that Banshee scream at the Empire Knights in turn one?!

Nazguire
09-01-2007, 06:35
Just one other thing: how the heck did that Banshee scream at the Empire Knights in turn one?!

I think it's quite obvious. A monkey moved the Knights.

the1stpip
12-01-2007, 20:48
Compared to recent WDs, I would rate it an eight. Compared to the days of Paul Sawyer, or even Robin Dews, a three.

And I am in a fairly good mood...

The Judge
14-01-2007, 10:36
Reading through the old ones brings back memories of test, but at least this issue seems to be trying to address some of the things that made the old WD great, like a bit of fiction and the masterclass.

Other than "trying to improve" however, I don't think this issue deserves any kudos.

asmodai_dark86
15-01-2007, 08:50
Ive been thinking of getting back into WD for awhile because I miss it, so when I saw one in WHS ready to be read I though 'Meh sod it ill read it while im there and if its good ill pick it up'.

The best thing about it seems to be the picture quality, but that doesnt surprise me. Compare white dwarf with something like empire... you soon realise why your so disappointed.

I dont think Ill be looking at WD again..

zak
17-01-2007, 14:31
This isuue is by far the best in a long time. It actually took me more than 5 minutes to read. If WD continues to produce good quality like this then I may even subscribe...but I'm not holding my breath....just yet.
A good 8/10!

Finn Sourscowl
17-01-2007, 19:08
I'll try to keep to Wintermute's instructions to review this on it's own merits: It gets a solid 6. There are enough diverse, albeit brief, textually (is that a word??) articles to keep me interested for a while and hence it gets a slightly above average mark.

I'm in two minds about the piccies of all the sprue parts painted up. On the one hand, it's great for planning conversions, and I think the article on converting an empire general using bits from all the different boxes is great. On the other, it takes very little time to look at and uses lots of space that might usefully be taken up with a bit more of a description about exactly how to do those conversions etc. The bat rep was reasonable, but as always, seriously lacked text and depth, although the current format is WAY better than 6 months ago. As with all recent designers notes, those on the empire were not good. Little insight into what went/what came in etc. Standard Bearer I thought was entertaining... Jervis rambling on about liking prog rock made me laugh (nothing sad about Yes or Genesis, Jervis!!), although I appreciate what people said about it being a simple sales pitch for LOTR.

Overall, I thought it was a good enough mag for me to want to buy (although I did buy it with a WHSmiths voucher that I could find nothing else to buy with!) and enjoy. It did, however, suffer from all the same faults that we've been going on about for the last 9 months (not enough text, too many adverts etc.). I don't want to give the WD team the impression we're totally satisfied yet ;)