PDA

View Full Version : Who loves Necrons!

Crassus
22-12-2006, 19:38
This forum is all about necrons (fluff, rules, etc) so say what you thnk and enjoy

bob syko
22-12-2006, 19:58
I have necrons(recently) mainly because a 2000 point army of them is very cheap and I fancied some big games with something other than orks. They are very different(for those that didn't know) what with their armour saves and ability to hit anything whatsoever.

I just painted them regular metal colour. Bolgun metal drybrush over tin bitz. I can get a good looking unit of 12 done in a few hours. Problem is putting them together. Why does everything have to have arms?

Seth the Dark
22-12-2006, 20:04
I think in the very far future I'll make up an army of Necrons but right now its Alpha Legion for me.

Crassus
22-12-2006, 20:10
Problem is putting them together. Why does everything have to have arms?

i agree. Necron arms are nasty to put to gether and don't give simple opportunities to convert unlike marines (which i also collect) which are very simple. they are probaly so hard because they are quite thin. i recently got the necron battle force for 40 (instead of 50 so, yahoo) and i now have 48 warriors 7 destroyers, 2 tomb spyders, 8 scarab bases, 1 wraith and 2 lords which is very nasty

i think the best necron unit has to be the monolith. it has been voted best 40k tank because of it's point cost, wepons and special rules.

the worst has to be pariahs. they are too expensive for thier stat even though they do have good equipment, plus they don't have the necron special rules suchas phase out and we'll be back

RampagingRavener
22-12-2006, 20:40
Yea, I've got a Necron army. 1000 points already finished and painted, and I've recently gone back to it with the aim of bringing it up to 2000 points.

Army currently stands at-2 Lords (though the special edition one is in peices pending a repaint), 6 Immortals, 4 Flayed Ones, 20 Warriors, 5 Scarabs, 3 Destroyers, and a Tomb Spyder. Generic silvery paint job.

As for the best unit...not the Monolith. It's a good utility vehicle and survivable as hell, but it's not spectaclar at killing things. Gauss Flux Arcs are short ranged and only really kill 2 or so enemies a turn if you're lucky and the Particle Whip is, like all Ordinance, rather innacurate. I'd definatly have to say the best unit is the Immortal-they're relativly cheap for what they do as well as taking and giving out a lot of damage.

Definatly agreed on Pariah's being worthless though. St5 Warscythes are good. A single I3 attack is not.

Light of the Emperor
22-12-2006, 21:09
My brother had a formidable necron force. While they also retain the metallic scheme, their shoulder armor is blue and the "superior" units, being lords, immortals and destroyers, have white heads. And the monolith lights up.

The necrons are a fast army too when used in certain ways. Wraiths, destroyers and scarabs can all turbo boost. Meanwhile, a lord with a veil can teleport squad after squad into enemy territory. So in 2 turns, half the army can be in the enemies deployment zone. Then the monolith comes in and brings in more necron units.
They are not to be underestimated...especially destroyer lords soley devoted to close combat.

Mobiboros
22-12-2006, 21:14
Been playing necron since 2nd edition so most of my army are the old metal ones. I own a bunch of the new oens but like fielding the old ones as it almost confuses new players.
"what are those?"
"Necron"
"But they look meaner?"
"Yup, that's cause their older, just woke up and hates'es all you youngins." ;)

Stormbringer
22-12-2006, 21:15
When i started a 40K group a couple months ago i was planning on play nids, but i slowly gravitated toward Necrons. After playing a couple battles with them i really got hooked. They have stood up well against my main space marine opponent.

At the present moment i have your typical 500-600 point boxed battleforce plus a lord. I plan on getting Immortals, A Monolith, and more warriors. I hope to bulk up to a 2000pt force by mid january.

Wraithbored
22-12-2006, 21:19
Don't own a necron army, and 99% likely I never will. Don't get me wrong they are interesting, but they do need something more than "They're dead and they can get back up again after you kill em". And I hope the future will bring more variety for them in the future! :D See ya on the field Yngir!;)

Imperialis_Dominatus
22-12-2006, 21:23
Hey all, I just want to add a 'no' perspective. Main reason is the fluff usurpation that came about with the Necrons and C'tan. The other is I don't like their stuff. Not calling it cheesy, just don't like facing it and wouldn't field it.

The_Outsider
22-12-2006, 21:26
I love all things necron related (probably too much).

I have an average 1500 list that wins a fair bit but isn't anything special (must be the battering ram approach I use with the monolith).

Also I seem ot be the only person who thinks the Necron model range is the greatest GW have ever done...

WindSoul
22-12-2006, 21:31
I have many projects going on and some more on the shelf then others but I do own Codex: Necron, a Lord, a Destroyer and a box of Warriors. They might got my attention later on, I don't know. And since I've been into all 40K armies except 3 (Eldar, Tau and Ork) and on and off working on them they might see the battlefield someday. My current ones are light boltgun drybrush over chaos black undercoat with brazen brass highlighted with shining gold + black ink on shoulders, "mask" and the little thing they got in the middle of their torso. I've also painted the green rods with codex grey, fortress grey drybrush and a light drybrush of skull white.

Pacific
22-12-2006, 21:42
A poor man's Terminator!

I remember feeling pretty dissapointed when these got revealed as the new race that was supposedly getting everyone excited, then seeing what looked like a remold of the androids from Space Crusade!

At the time I was thinking, "what next? Anime robots?!" :cheese:

Pretty much the only army that you can paint completely in a day though!

Henshini
22-12-2006, 23:17
I've got about 1000-1500 points of old necrons for sale, including the codex for less than half of GW retail if anyone's interested feel free to PM me.

MrBigMr
23-12-2006, 00:20
I like the fluff alot.
As for an army, I've been planning a Necrontyr army. Pre-Heresy Marines, eat your heart out. So far I've just planned the Lord and Warrior models. I'm gonna use Immortals as they are, soft of the elite troops that already underwent the transformation but weren't dulled by the C'Tan.
I'm still planning the Destroyers. Maybe some flying platform with the cannon, like the old metal Destroyer. Tomp Spyder would be a Necron version of a Dreadnought. A walking coffin.

EVIL INC
23-12-2006, 01:23
I have been playing chaos since Rogue Trader days and have tried to start new armies a few times, an early aborted attempt at eldar and then an aborted attempt at mordian gaurd. Recently (within the last 3 years), I put together a decent eldar force and carried through with it to where it was a good army but the kid I paid to paint it did a poor job and stole a bunch of it so I lost interest and sold it. Of course, it was to a buddy of mine who needed an army to play anyways.
If I try to start another army again, I will likely do necrons. Not because of thier fluff though as I dont like it but because the models look cool to me and I relish the idea of making a good job of them easily and being able to put together a good army fairly cheaply moneywise.

tau_caste
23-12-2006, 02:28
i started a necron army because i wanted to get a huge army reasonably cheap, reasonably easy to paint and to give me something that can battle against a friends entire marine army of over 4000 points :D

necrons were just the easiest choice!!! and then i fell in love with them!:chrome:

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
23-12-2006, 04:44
Yes, because they stand for everything I believe in AKA anti-life. By far the definitive Death-robots, they squash the mediocre ;transformers and terminators. Iron in mind and body, hail the machine. By far the definitive evil-robot race, and one of my biggest inspirations for life-style and music.

'Also I seem ot be the only person who thinks the Necron model range is the greatest GW have ever done...'

No, your not. I do too and if I could I would rip the flesh off those who disagree and adorn it on myself ;) if im serious or not..well ill let people decide.

Vault Dweller
23-12-2006, 05:30
I have a necron force of about 2000 points. Pariahs aren't too good to play with, but they look really nice if you paint them well. If you enjoy painting necrons you should get some for that reason.

Misanthrope
23-12-2006, 06:52
I really enjoy the fluff behind the Necrons. My girlfriend recently started a Necron army and I'm helping her get started and crap, but I myself have a Worldeaters force. Anyway, all I can do is hold out hope that more and more Necron units come out in the next couple of years. I'd really like to see more variety, and I think having more variety would really make Necrons more interesting to the average player.

Pacific
23-12-2006, 07:05
'Also I seem ot be the only person who thinks the Necron model range is the greatest GW have ever done...'

Then I presume you haven't seen the Bloodbowl ogre cheerleader, clearly the best model ever sculpted, or perhaps the model of Nagash, comedy lord of the undead? ;)

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
23-12-2006, 10:08
*sigh* humans and their inferior tastes and senses of humour. ;)

bob syko
23-12-2006, 10:33
Then I presume you haven't seen the Bloodbowl ogre cheerleader, clearly the best model ever sculpted, or perhaps the model of Nagash, comedy lord of the undead? ;)

The female ogre with the beard is one of my favourites. Don't know what that says about me.

I got the necron battleforce and it was missing a load of stuff. I got onto GW about and they sent all the stuff out plus a bag of large bases, Yay for me:D

Luke
23-12-2006, 10:44
Necrons? Well I always fancied the idea of collecting necrons. My brother collected a fairly large army in 2nd edition that was quite frankly, unstoppable. I also started a force a few years back but quickly sold it after I found I couldnt be bothered to paint them up. I chose a boring silver colour scheme and got disheartened. Though after playing Dark crusade for a while now I am sorely tempted to get a necron force just to field a monolith. I love that thing. Its the ultimate ...tank thing...fortress. I love the whole necron background, I love the way they are rock solid but they haven't even unleashed their actual seasoned warriors on the universe yet.

Good stuff.

MrBigMr
23-12-2006, 10:47
I remember one old dwarf model being realy funny. It was a dwarf archer sleeping and leaning against his crossbow. Pity GW doesn't do such fun stuff so much anymore.
I like the Mordheim Frenzied Mob models, expecialy Villager 7 and 8. I was thinking about buying 7 and making him a model for Brewhouse Bash.

Flame Boy
23-12-2006, 10:49
I bought the Necron Codex when it was first released and it sat around waiting to be used. When a friend said he wanted to start a 40k army, I pointed him to Necrons right away, and after a few days wavering at chaos space marines, the Necrons claimed him as their own. I gave him a paint scheme to work with http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/Tremadog/blargh_edited.jpg (sorry, the upload limit makes the pic rather poor quality, oh and the base is finished now, by the way.)

Since DoW: Dark Crusade has been released, my own initial curiousity has increased massively, and I now have to keep telling myself I've already got too many things on my "to paint" list, without deciding what my hypothetical Necron lord should be equipped with...

Oh, by the way, isn't it rather odd how in the Necron model range the Necron warriors are all stooped, with the Lord being one of the few models that stands reasonably straight, yet in DoW they have an extremely hunched lord with fairly erect-standing warriors? I found it rather bizarre, but they look familiar enough.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
23-12-2006, 10:52
I got the necron battleforce and it was missing a load of stuff. I got onto GW about and they sent all the stuff out plus a bag of large bases, Yay for me:D

haha that litterally happened to me yesterday, I simply walked into the shop and showed them what was missing and they gave me the sprues that werent in the box straight away, they didnt even ask for a receipt. Its definitly made me respect their custumer service. I guess ill let them live a little longer for it.

bob syko
23-12-2006, 10:57
haha that litterally happened to me yesterday, I simply walked into the shop and showed them what was missing and they gave me the sprues that werent in the box straight away, they didnt even ask for a receipt. Its definitly made me respect their custumer service. I guess ill let them live a little longer for it.

Apparently that entire batch has the same missing. Was it 2 of the necron warrior sprues?

Corax
23-12-2006, 11:05
I love Necrons, but they never talk to me the morning after. It makes me feel so cheap and dirty... :(

But seriously, I think the Necrons are a pretty cool army. If it weren't for the fact that one of my regular opponents uses them, I would probably make a Necron army. Though I still really want to have a bash at painting one of the awesome Wraith models...

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
23-12-2006, 11:18
Apparently that entire batch has the same missing. Was it 2 of the necron warrior sprues?

Yes it was. It was also missing one green-rod sprue and one Scarab base. If they werent so nice and good with their customer service, they would of got a good gaussin' to be sure.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
23-12-2006, 11:18
I love Necrons, but they never talk to me the morning after. It makes me feel so cheap and dirty... :(

Well, its your fault for being organic and living you know. Shame on you!!

mephetran
23-12-2006, 11:30
Who couldn't love those cold robot bodies.

And the ability of the Deceiver......

Cr0w
23-12-2006, 11:34
I also love necrons. It's fun to see opponents mouth open when my lord comes back up with 3 wounds :p

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
23-12-2006, 12:26
why in the pool there is no such options:

- no and never want any
-no nad i hate necron

boring army as hell ... crappy fluff and so on ...

edit:isn't double posting forbidden :shock: ?

Pacific
23-12-2006, 17:57
*sigh* humans and their inferior tastes and senses of humour. ;)

I'm not a human, I'm a squat! *waves ale tankard in frustration*

:cheese:

insectum7
23-12-2006, 19:51
At first I hated the Necrons, the way they upturned some of the history was pretty upsetting. Then I saw Terminator 3 and was thinkin maybe an army of robots wasn't so bad, because its a very common theme throrought sci-fi. I had an opportunity to get some models on the cheap and started the army as a bit of a joke. But they grew on me pretty quickly after that and I became a convert. I particularly like the way element of the Necron fluff intersected with the human Machine God, C'tan sword and the Pariah gene. I like the dangerous relationship between human and Necron tech. Now I love the Necrons, and have a 3,000 point army painted to a pretty high standard.

I do think that the Nightbringer is one of the best sculpts in the game. And the Monolith is my favorite vehicle.

Pacific
23-12-2006, 20:39
Insectum - please dont swear/blaspheme in these forums (i.e. dont mention the words 'terminator' and '3' in the same sentence).

I can imagine someone being inspired by Terminator 1 or 2, but when someone mentions 3 (other than perhaps them being inspired to empty the contents of their stomach into a small brown bag) it gets me really upset :cheese:

Bob5000
23-12-2006, 21:09
Necrons are my third main 40K Army .
I actually like the lack of choice in the Necron List , not too much time spent figuring out a list . Its handy that the basic ( only ) troop choice has the ability to take anything down with the Gauss rules .
Its a very quick army to produce in so many ways , can be incredibly fast to paint ( though a bit fiddly to build ) and you dont have to spend too much time mulling over the choices in the list .
Admittedly , there is not a huge amount of variation in the Necron Forces you see , as opposed to most other armies .
I enjoyed playing against them so decided to collect them too , liking the little tricks they pull , and the WBB rule made me laugh , " but I just killed you lot and you have stood back up again , what was the point in all that shooting ! "
I tend to beat Necron opponents most of the time , ( I go for the phase out and ignore Monoliths except when using Swooping Hawks ) but it is usually a good fun scrap .

Imperialis_Dominatus
23-12-2006, 21:15
Seeing as how the main response is 'no,' I am somewhat surprised to see few responses from them (us :D ). Where be all mah fellow hataz? :wtf: Dang that smilie is fun.

@ Pacific the Space Dwarf: Terminator 3. :evilgrin:

Commissar Bob
23-12-2006, 23:45
Recently my roomate got into 40k and started necrons. He has a reatively small force but it's been amusing to lay against them with my guard. I have to admit his scarabs seem very useful with their 24" move one turn and then 18" charge the next. Also destroyer lords look like they could be a pain in close combat. He's hoping to get a battleforce for Christmas and I'm looking forward to many more battles against the foul xenos!

Commissar Bob

Ap0calypse
24-12-2006, 00:49
I have over 2000pts of necrons that I picked up as a second army to have around, they have been primed, but not yet assembled. I figured that they would be the most economical/easy& quickest to paint...

Tulun
24-12-2006, 00:54
I personally find them extremely boring to play against. Like nids vs Necrons (usually 2000 points).. if I take out the monoliths before my big ones get in, the game is mine. If I don't, then I lose because it's not easy to run down 15 man squads (no outnumber :)). I also don't neccesarily know I'llb e playing Necrons, either.

Sans Monolith, my Nids can usually completely walk over Necrons. To be honest, I find the games totally bland. My two main armies are Eldar and Nids. I've found, basically, they can totally rape all my army, but then the Wraithlords and TMCs get in there, and the game is over... meh. So, just throw the big'uns at them and hide the part they'll completely rape.

Angelwing
24-12-2006, 01:44
i've played necrons since 2nd ed (love those T8 scarabs....) i guess i've got around 3500 pts, old style warriors, immortals,scarabs, destroyers and lords, with new bits thrown in.
i started them because no one else wanted to play them, and everyone i knew at the local store gave me thier free necron warrior from the white dwarf!
on a side note, i thought terminator 3 was good silly fun. very entertaining. i know, i'm easy to please...

The_Flip
24-12-2006, 02:06
I play Necrons, and have won most of my games with them. I love their power, and special rules that make them so unique (Gauss weapons, We'll Be Back!, etc.).

However, I am very disappointed with their lack of customization and variation. With the other armies (Eldar, Marines, etc) there are many options for you to choose from, so you can play what suits you. With Necrons, you are taking 20 Warriors no matter what as they are your only Troopers choice, and most of the time you're taking a Lord since it's your only HQ choice (minus C'tan).

I seriously hope that they fix these problems in the redo...

fwacho
24-12-2006, 08:35
I picked up necorns ahwile back after an ELABORATELY painted eldar one. I just wanted somethign simple to paint and that played interestingly. i still regret sellign them.. bu tI needed the money. what I did like about them was that alothough not fast per se they were fluid. kind of like mercury in a pool. I ran flayed ones with Pariahs (back in 3rd when you could screen pariahs from fire) I also got a huge kick out of tomb spyders and ran three of them. mixed in with my warrior units.

That stratagy worked great to keep chacters from samshing my beloved warriors.
and scarbs were awesome.
my monolith almost never shot. al lI did was advance troops forward ro get them to where I wanted them and re roll we'll be backs.. pulling them out of CC... the transport ability of the monolith is what truly makes it great.

Mr_Smiley
24-12-2006, 10:41
I love my Necrons I have about 2100 and by the end of the year I should have about 2500, my ultimate dream is to make a 10000 point army.
I love necrons for the models and the fluff, the rules are a bonus to me.

Crassus
24-12-2006, 15:50
most people will say that wraiths are quite rubbish and you should get a tomb spyder instead, but they are as deadly as any assassin the imperium can throw at you. they have a 3+ armour/invunerable save move through terrain and can go uo to 12" per turn so they will be in combat on the second turn which makes them incredibly useful.

eldaran
24-12-2006, 16:52
Necrons can really be boring to play with and against. A friend plays them and every time i predict (accurately) what happens-the main problem is that necrons suffer from a severe case of howling-banshee-itis.

Fideru
24-12-2006, 16:55
I'm really considering getting Necron's. Having a 1000 point army for less than 200 $ really appeals to me. (Compared to my guard :( )